Religious Displays in Public

weeder

Post by weeder »

I should be allowed to smoke in public, even if it makes some people " uncomfortable".
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

And if people want to walk around the street naked, singing loudly, maybe stopping for a quick prayer, a smoke, a toke, a fart, a snog or just to wee against a lightpole, that's absolutely fine too. Private - public - what's the difference? Let's let it all hang out. An individual or a group should have the right to fully express themselves even if other individuals or groups feel offended. An individual or a group should not have the right not to be offended.

:sneaky:
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

AussiePam;969488 wrote: And if people want to walk around the street naked, singing loudly, maybe stopping for a quick prayer, a smoke, a toke, a fart, a snog or just to wee against a lightpole, that's absolutely fine too. Private - public - what's the difference? Let's let it all hang out. An individual or a group should have the right to fully express themselves even if other individuals or groups feel offended. An individual or a group should not have the right not to be offended.

Following that logic, I should be allowed to get laid in the booth of of a five star restaurant even if kids are present, I can burp loudly in public and not need to excuse myself, people can and should spit on the sidewalk, scream into their cellphones while I'm watching a movie and I could go on and on...I mean we're letting it all hang out right? Fkn A! Oh was that offensive to you? That's your problem, you don't have a right to be offended. Public, private, what's the difference?

This is what I mean. No one thinks about anyone else or how their decorum is in public. It's all about the individual. Nothing can be considered rude because no one has a right to be offended.

Thanks Pam. ;)
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

JAB;969632 wrote: So what's the alternative? We say nothing, do nothing, feel nothing in public at the risk of offending someone? Are we supposed to whisper when we talk? Are you going to walk over to a table of nuns or priests and tell them to please not pray over their meal because you might be offended? And when is it too much and who's going to determine that? Is it OK if I bow my head and say a prayer or is that offensive as well?

There is none. The only thing that works is the status quo. To tell someone they can't or shouldn't be offended by something is absurd because then you're telling them how they should or should not feel. Not right. In your example, JAB, no.....going over to a table of nuns or for that matter, common people, and telling/asking them not to pray is just as ill mannered as the praying itself. Quinn didn't say he did that- he said he was uncomfortable. So the only thing in this prayer issue I can see to do is to leave it as is. Let people be offended and let people offend. It may be wrong but what else is there?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;969268 wrote: What does "intrigued" mean? Does that extend to being intrigued by 7th century Islamic Law applied to the 21st century? Does intrigued extend to second class citizenship for women in the name of religion?

Its not my place to judge others on their beliefs. I cant change it and its not my place to try.

I trust 7th century Islamic practices of the tortuous variety are not happening in my city.

I was on the elevator with a Muslim woman the other day and we exchanged pleasantries.

There were 100 questions I wanted to ask her but of course I didnt.

Im intrigued in the sense that when I smell curry I want to know all about the tradition behind the eating of food Im unfamiliar with.

When I see extravagantly colorful garb on a woman I want to ask questions about her history and culture.

When I hear Middle Eastern music Im fascinated by the eery ancient sound and I want to know everything about the civilization they come from.

Im intrigued because I want to understand the world I live in and Ill never be able to satisfy my yearning by being self righteous and indignant at things I see that I dont understand.

Much the same way I chuckle when people judge me because only I know what it is to have walked in my shoes.
I AM AWESOME MAN
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Thanks Red Glitter. That's exactly my point!!! :sneaky:

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Accountable;969080 wrote: I don't care if it's a holy book or Moby Dick, reading aloud is distracting and rude. The reader should go somewhere people won't hear, if he can't read silently.

When I see a person stop to pray silently before eating (something I don't do), I take comfort that this person has strength of conviction. Sure the rare one may be doing it to make other think they are religious when they are really evil, but I doubt I've come across more than one or two.

When I see a family join hands at a restaurant, I know that the family has traditions, trust, and unity. I feel good about the future prospects of those children.

Nomad;969197 wrote: I enjoy diversity.

I welcome public displays of religious overture and Im especially intrigued by our growing Muslim population.

Respect always.

Yes but is religion illogical or logical to the point of harm I believe might be the emphasis?...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;969226 wrote: I actually disagree with you here. It is my interpretation true, but a dictionary definition is not going to change the way I was taught or that I believe. Yes but when we're conversating and you're placing your own definitions on words it's hard for me to understand where you're coming from...

RedGlitter;969226 wrote:

I do see it as half empty. And I also don't know where you arrive at the conclusion that you have about the world being freer today than ever before. What do you base that on, I wonder.Slavery has been abolished world wide after it's been prevalent throughout the entire existence of the human race according to the earliest of records...Humanitarian aid and life expectancy is at it's highest throughout human history which to me indicates freedom...

How would you say people are less free than they have ever been throughout all of human evolution?...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

crazygal;969065 wrote: I'd hate it, short and sweet but I would.

Well hello there crazygal...How are you?...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

weeder;969439 wrote: I should be allowed to smoke in public, even if it makes some people " uncomfortable".

Yes but smoking in public causes health concerns for other people...

Religion does not...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

AussiePam;969488 wrote: And if people want to walk around the street naked, singing loudly, maybe stopping for a quick prayer, a smoke, a toke, a fart, a snog or just to wee against a lightpole, that's absolutely fine too. Private - public - what's the difference? Let's let it all hang out. An individual or a group should have the right to fully express themselves even if other individuals or groups feel offended. An individual or a group should not have the right not to be offended.

I agree completely.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;969558 wrote: Following that logic, I should be allowed to get laid in the booth of of a five star restaurant even if kids are present, I can burp loudly in public and not need to excuse myself, people can and should spit on the sidewalk, scream into their cellphones while I'm watching a movie and I could go on and on...I mean we're letting it all hang out right? Fkn A! Oh was that offensive to you? That's your problem, you don't have a right to be offended. Public, private, what's the difference? I see no problem with any of that..If I didn't care for that behavior I wouldn't take my child back to that place to see that happen...

RedGlitter;969558 wrote:

This is what I mean. No one thinks about anyone else or how their decorum is in public. It's all about the individual. Nothing can be considered rude because no one has a right to be offended. It is all about the individual...Individual rights to do as they please...

What you're not taking into consideration is the fact that everyone would be free, which means people would be free to kick the **** out of whoever did that and you can damn well bet they wouldn't do it again...;)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Hoss;969663 wrote:

Why do I feel more right than others? Words have meaning, very specific meaning, and we all know the words that are disrespectful to others,...What words are those Hoss?...

Hoss;969663 wrote:

using them demonstrate that they intend to disrespect others regularly. It's not about who's more right, it’s about the norm of society and those words are becoming more normal to hear from adults and from children everyday and that bothers me. It reflects on our society, so I'm speaking my mind on the subject. If I didn’t care I'd say nothing and let it happen. So I'm saying I'm the part of our society it still bothers very much. It's my opinion that using cuss words demoralizes our society as a whole.How?...How does using cusswords "demonstrate that they intend to disrespect others regularly."...Which is it?...Cusswords are bad when aimed at others or cusswords are bad in general?...

Hoss;969663 wrote:

I think you misread me, which I’m finding is very easy to do here. I'm not saying I lose control, I’m saying my method for dealing with when I may loose control is to quietly pray not swear out loud. Yes it's easy to misread you when you do not elaborate as to how you "loose control" in the same sense you misunderstand people when they cuss...Only you seem to think cussing deserves to be ridiculed more than my mere asking you how it is you "loose control" considering "loose control" is far more devastating than cussing...Get it?...

Hoss;969663 wrote:

'All that needs to happen for evil to flourish is for good men to say nothing'.

Swearing out loud is loosing self control, that’s the difference. I don't swear out loud I don’t need to. I deal with the situations as they come up by the grace of God, which comes through prayer. God promises to give us wisdom liberally if we ask, so I ask for it. Wisdom keep me under control, because I then know what to do in the situation. Argumentative...You're taking you're own interpretation of cussing and deeming it to be inferior than in how you deal with "loose control" which is another example of judgment considering you deem cussing as an act of violence and is completely wrong and inaccurate...That my friend is arrogant...

I prefer 'Judge not and ye shall not be judged'...

Hoss;969663 wrote:

And to be honest with you and up front, not that I’m trying to be rude, but that’s twice now you have tried to antagonize me on a thread, by speaking down to me. The last time you jumped out without thinking was on your abortion thread when you downed my comments as purely ideological and not practical. I don’t think I’ll strive with you a third time. You seem to misinterpret "antagonizing" with simple disagreement backed with question...
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

K.Snyder;969715 wrote: Yes but when we're conversating and you're placing your own definitions on words it's hard for me to understand where you're coming from...

That's why you should always ask.

Slavery has been abolished world wide after it's been prevalent throughout the entire existence of the human race according to the earliest of records...Humanitarian aid and life expectancy is at it's highest throughout human history which to me indicates freedom...

How would you say people are less free than they have ever been throughout all of human evolution?...

Sorry K, you know I'm not feeling well tonight and this one is a bit more than I want to take on now. Forgive me.

K.Snyder;969719 wrote: I see no problem with any of that..If I didn't care for that behavior I wouldn't take my child back to that place to see that happen...

By then the damage is already done...your kids have already witnessed what may normally be called bad manners.

It is all about the individual...Individual rights to do as they please...

We already have enough of that and it's caused people to not give a sh*t about how others feel about things. It started with the "Me generation" in the 70s.

What you're not taking into consideration is the fact that everyone would be free, which means people would be free to kick the **** out of whoever did that and you can damn well bet they wouldn't do it again...;)

What you aren't taking under consideration is that it would be a free for all. You cannot have a society without some law and order governing it and that's coming from me, your radical Libertarian friend.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;969722 wrote: That's why you should always ask. Well with all due respect sweetheart I can't tell when it is you're puting you're own definition on words and it appears in the form of questions pertaining to the matter because I cannot understand where you're coming from when you put you're own definition on words...If such were the case I'd have to ask you in how you're defining things in every word you use when we disagree...I'm not saying we disagree on everything but that would take a long time...All I know in conversation is the technical definition of words...

RedGlitter;969722 wrote: By then the damage is already done...your kids have already witnessed what may normally be called bad manners. No...The damage is not done...I have the ability to teach my child right from wrong before, during, and after the witnessing of what I deem to be unethical practices...The rest lies on the parents' inability to raise their child appropriately...

RedGlitter;969722 wrote: What you aren't taking under consideration is that it would be a free for all. You cannot have a society without some law and order governing it and that's coming from me, your radical Libertarian friend.

No...The "kick the **** out of whoever did that and you can damn well bet they wouldn't do it again" is the law...We still have it today...Not exactly in that same context but it's still there...Whether or not you want to place the word "law" behind it or not is your prerogative...I like to think of it as crime prevention...
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

weeder;969439 wrote: I should be allowed to smoke in public, even if it makes some people " uncomfortable".
I agree! except for cigars. Those things smell nasty. :yh_sick
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Nomad;969659 wrote: Its not my place to judge others on their beliefs. I cant change it and its not my place to try.

I trust 7th century Islamic practices of the tortuous variety are not happening in my city.

I was on the elevator with a Muslim woman the other day and we exchanged pleasantries.

Im intrigued in the sense that when I smell curry I want to know all about the tradition behind the eating of food Im unfamiliar with.

When I see extravagantly colorful garb on a woman I want to ask questions about her history and culture.

When I hear Middle Eastern music Im fascinated by the eery ancient sound and I want to know everything about the civilization they come from.

Im intrigued because I want to understand the world I live in and Ill never be able to satisfy my yearning by being self righteous and indignant at things I see that I dont understand.

Much the same way I chuckle when people judge me because only I know what it is to have walked in my shoes.
Good post! :-6

Except that last line. Having sore feet is no excuse for acting the way you do. :sneaky:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Hoss;970174 wrote: What words? I’m talking about the general use of foul language, cuss words. For this discussion the list of words not used in the 1950's on TV. I'm talking about the fact that you'd said Hoss wrote: Why do I feel more right than others? Words have meaning, very specific meaning, and we all know the words that are disrespectful to others,...from which I were asking you in what words you feel are disrespectful towards others as opposed to being just rants of expletives aimed at no one in particular...I think you don't know how to follow a line of questioning and resort to "I think you like to rile people up instead of make a clear argument for discussion".

Hoss;970174 wrote:

Disrespect: Cuss words are habitually used. It makes sense that someone who cusses does it regularly.You're point being what exactly?...

Hoss;970174 wrote:

Are you telling me you never judge?I never judge anyone to whom cusses...I'll leave that up to you chief...

Hoss;970174 wrote:

Shall I cuss? Shall I loose my self control? What do I care?...As long as you don't threaten me or anyone else from which I know you're wrong we're fine...Don't know why you ask...

Hoss;970174 wrote:

Cuss words are habitual; Yes they can be...In the same sense eating can be habitual...

Hoss;970174 wrote:

they are disrespectful by the fact that the words that are generally unacceptable to society as a whole to speak out loud in public. To do so is rude behavior. I think it’s as simple as that.Who says and what gives you or them the right to judge cuss words as being disrespectful when they're not aimed to anyone with ill malice?...I believe I've asked you this several times but you still cannot seem to answer me...

Hoss;970174 wrote:

It used to be adults in the work place cussed occasionally when things got out of control, it was mostly when men are out working hard alone, and somehow it’s changed so much that when I pull up next to loud wrap music I’m subjected to the F word 20 times and all sorts of deviant sexual references before the light changes. Just the fact that the guy has his music turned up so loud it disturbs the peace of others is rude and disrespectful; set aside the use of the words. So what?...It offends you...Why?...How do cuss words "demonstrate that they intend to disrespect others regularly."...How is it that I say the word "damn" demonstrates that I "intend to disrespect others regularly."?...This offends me because it's preconceived judgment...

You're taking others' experiences of cussing and formulating it into an opinion that is inaccurately accusing those to whom cuss as being disrespectful towards others and is completely and utterly preposterous...

Hoss;970174 wrote:

Do you want your kids subjected to that each time you stop at a light?I cannot speak for my child...
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

Nomad;969659 wrote: Its not my place to judge others on their beliefs. I cant change it and its not my place to try.

Perhaps the following will also intrigue you about the Muslim world or perhaps help with the understand of why the Muslim religion is simply not like any other religion mainly because it is interwoven with law and governments like no other religion:

The Middle East

Afghanistan-Islamic Republic, gained independence from the U.K. in 1919, operates on the basis that no law should be contrary to Islam, 40% unemployment, 53% living in poverty, literacy 36%

Bahrain-Hereditary Monarchy, gained independence from U.K. in 1971, operates under Islamic Law and English Common Law, 15% unemployment, unknown number in poverty, literacy 89.1%

Egypt-Republic election by popular vote, gained independence from U.K. in 1922, 9.5% unemployment, 20% living in poverty, operates under English Common Law, Islamic Law and Napoleonic Law, Religious based parties are banned, literacy 57.7%

Iran-Theocratic Republic, gained independence from U.K, 1961, 11.2% unemployment, 40% living in poverty, most economic activity controlled by the state. Has $40 billion in foreign exchange reserves in the midst of economic hardships, literacy 79.4%

Jordon-Constitutional Monarchy, gained independence from British administration in 1946, 12.5% unemployment (unofficial rate 30%), 30% living in poverty, operates under Islamic law and French codes, literacy 91.3%

Kuwait-Constitutional Hereditary Emirate, political parties are illegal, adult males not in the military can vote as can adult women (as of May 2005), operates under civil law with Islamic law significant in personal matters, 2.2% unemployment, unknown poverty levels, literacy 83.5%

Libya-Military Dictatorship (a state of the masses in theory), gained independence from UN trusteeship 1951, operates under Italian civil law and Islamic law, no political parties, 30% unemployment, unknown number living in poverty, literacy 82.6%

Lebanon-Republic, gained independence from League of Nations mandate under French administration 1943, males age 21 can vote, women 21 can vote if they have an elementary education, operates under mixture of Ottoman law, canon law, Napoleonic code and civil law, 18% unemployment, 28% living in poverty, literacy 87.4%

Oman-Monarchy, gained independence by expelling Portuguese in 1650, all Omanis can vote except members of the military and security forces, operates under English common law and Islamic law, only appeal is to the monarch, 15% unemployment, unknown number living under poverty, literacy 75.8%

Qatar-Traditional Emirate, gained independence from the U.K. in 1971, operates under discretionary system of law controlled by the Amir, some civil codes being implemented; Islamic law dominates family and personal matters, 18 year olds can vote, but no legislative elections have been held since 1970, 2.7% unemployment rate, unknown number living in poverty, literacy 89%

Saudi Arabia-Monarchy, unification of the kingdom in 1932, operates under Shari” a (Islamic) law, males 21 and older can vote for municipal councils, no political parties, 13% unemployment (Saudi males only) some local estimates as high as 25%, unknown number living in poverty, literacy 78.8%

Syria-Republic under an authoritarian military-dominated regime, gained independence from League of Nations mandate under French administration 1946, operates under combination of French and Ottoman civil law, religious law is used in family court system, 12.3% unemployment, 20% living in poverty, literacy 76.9%

United Arab Emirates-Federation with specific powers and other powers reserved to member emirates, gained independence from U.K. in 1971, no voting, secular courts, except Islamic courts to review family and religious disputes, 2.4% unemployment, unknown number living in poverty, literacy 77.9%

United States of America-Constitution-based federal republic; strong democratic traditions, gained independence from Great Britain (U.K.) in 1776, operates under federal court system based on English common law, each state has its own system based on English common law (except Louisiana). 4.5% unemployment, 12% living in poverty, literacy 99%
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
Ted

Post by Ted »

I simply cannot agree with Hoss on this one. Language is an ever developing thing. Words are constantly evolving and changing in their meaning. What is a swear word to one is simply not to another.

The F. word is a good example. In the dictionary it has dozens of meanings and many of them have nothing to do with sex. To the question "do you want your children . . ." I can only say they hear it almost everywhere they go; the school yard, with friends, on the street, in a friends house, on the bus etc. To complain about rap with sexual overtones is likewise something that is common. Do people think these children don't know anything? LOL.

The problem is not the language but the attempt to control everything in society. I used to work near a Christian school. According to the bus drivers it was not a positive experience. The kids were so controlled during the day that all hell broke loose when they got on the bus. These children will find integration into regular society very difficult. You cannot control your child when he/she is out of your sight so it is better to be a guide and trust that they will learn from the environment in which they are raised. Such control can lead to mental health problems. I have seen this on more than one occasion.

Raise your children to be honest, decent folks with a feeling for justice and compassion and one has done well. Do not shelter your child from the real world.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Odie

Post by Odie »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;970335 wrote: Perhaps the following will also intrigue you about the Muslim world or perhaps help with the understand of why the Muslim religion is simply not like any other religion mainly because it is interwoven with law and governments like no other religion:

Qatar-Traditional Emirate, gained independence from the U.K. in 1971, operates under discretionary system of law controlled by the Amir, some civil codes being implemented; Islamic law dominates family and personal matters, 18 year olds can vote, but no legislative elections have been held since 1970, 2.7% unemployment rate, unknown number living in poverty, literacy 89%

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My brother and sister in law have now been living on a compound there for a year.............she is HR at the University of Qatar, they signed on for another 2 years, the love it there................they love and respect the culture................but also must must obey all of their laws to a tee.

The soldiers that run Qatar have no patience of any kind of wrong doings..........however, most that live there are rich people..............my sister in law must wear the face mask, you shake hands with your left hand, even a speeding ticket will land you in another country..............they take no bullshit from anyone!

rough place to live!
Life is just to short for drama.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Odie:-6

Interesting.

We should not think that Christianity is not in any way political. Jesus was very much a non-violent resister. He was opposed to oppressive regime of his day and the collaboration of the temple leaders with Rome. He was crucified for being a social disturber as well as treason. He was promoter of justice and compassion. As a promoter of justice he was opposed to anything which created an unjust society, including Rome.

Shalom

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Perhaps the following will also intrigue you about the Muslim world or perhaps help with the understand of why the Muslim religion is simply not like any other religion mainly because it is interwoven with law and governments like no other religion:

Im not sure Im aligned with your thinking.

I understand that much of the world is very different from what I know.

I accept that. I dont feel the need to tell them theyre wrong or berate them because theyre not like me.

As I said diversity intrigues me.

Bloated arrogance bores me.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Ted

Post by Ted »

JAB:-6

It really depends on the age of the child doesn't it.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

Hoss:-6

If you check your history you will find out that fundamentalism is phenomenon of the 20th. cent. Thus it is the child of the reformation which usurped the term Christian and then created its own faith. This does not go back to the early church.

Fundamentalism in any faith is dangerous: terrorism, shooters of abortion doctors, the calling for the assassination of foreign presents, the picketing of funeral of gay folks, the total denial of science accept when it comes to the science that helps them out. Some accept the treatments they get but then when a doctor tells then that something like homosexuality is a given and not a choice they deny it. Fundamentalists want to impose their beliefs on others. That includes the fundamentalists from all the great faiths. Fundamentalists preach and teach on the parts of the Bible they like and ignore the rest or try creative dancing to get around those difficult spots.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

Your rant on "wait till he comes" simply proves my point. It looks a lot like judging to me. The exclusivity is not Christian it is an invention of man.

Yes I will take my chances with God because I trust Him/Her. No man will be my judge.

Shalom

Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Whoa!

i think everybody needs to take a deep breath and calm down in here! :cool:

remember the threads supposed to be about the subject not any of the people who post on it! (just a gentle reminder guys) :-6
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;968637 wrote: I was just in a restaurant and the people sitting next to me began their meal holding hands and praying. While in Heathrow airport last week there were several orthodox Jews in their traditional clothing praying, swaying back and forth, and reading from a book, presumably the Torah, out loud.

I am not an overly religious person and I am definitely not a person who would display any religious activity or special garb in public, I find religion a very personal and very private experience, but obviously my views are my views and not shared by many people. I actually find overt public displays of religious beliefs or practices embarrassing.

How do you feel when the person sitting next to you starts praying or reading out load from his or her Holy book? :yh_think

i have been part of groups many times out at restaurants and we would say grace before we ate, it didn't bother me to do it and i'm not bothered when others do it either! it's not like i'm preaching to them trying to convert them or something it's just a few seconds of a quite prayer!
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;968637 wrote: I was just in a restaurant and the people sitting next to me began their meal holding hands and praying. While in Heathrow airport last week there were several orthodox Jews in their traditional clothing praying, swaying back and forth, and reading from a book, presumably the Torah, out loud.

I am not an overly religious person and I am definitely not a person who would display any religious activity or special garb in public, I find religion a very personal and very private experience, but obviously my views are my views and not shared by many people. I actually find overt public displays of religious beliefs or practices embarrassing.

How do you feel when the person sitting next to you starts praying or reading out load from his or her Holy book? :yh_think
I don't feel any different then I do when they start singing to their headphones, making out with their boyfriend, arguing with their husband or wife or just generally invading my buffer zone with their noise and behavior. And god help us all, would you mind picking that screaming kid up and moving away from everyone until it's quieted?:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Ted

Post by Ted »

Having "met" you dad, so to speak, I think he is a fine man and I have no doubts about your mother. No, I am not judging you or anyone else. That is God's role alone.

I stand by what I said concerning the kids from a particular Christian school. The drivers gave me the info. as they had driven for both Christian and public schools and they did not like their experiences of those from the Christian school.

I am not talking mental illness. I spoke of a woman who had a nervous breakdown as a result of her very narrow upbringing. When she had to face the real world she could not handle it. This is not true, I should think, of all Christians.

You ask for my take on fundamentalism. I gave my observations. They are not judgments but simply observations. I could judge no individual nor would I try. That would be totally inappropriate.

You mentioned God's wrath. If your take on God is the correct one than you have a God with a multiple personality problem. Jesus was in fact a non-violent resister as was Paul. Neither of them took up arms nor advocated such. In fact if you recall the story of Gethsemane you will also remember that Jesus would not allow a weapon even in his own defense. If we see the true nature of God in Jesus of Nazareth we do not see that kind of wrath that you are suggesting. What we do see at times is righteous anger but he certainly wished no one any harm.

BTW I think that you turned out just fine as a result of your upbringing. I disagree on many points but that does not mean that I do not respect you. All the best.

Shalom

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Hoss;970951 wrote: Cussing demonstrates a lack of self control, in that, when one typically uses cuss words it’s at a point when they have 'lost it'. I am sure some folks use cuss words to be funny, but being that my experience is that people use cuss words when loosing self control I don’t, its just rude, it's rude because there is the majority of the population that still thinks its rude in public. "lost control" is relative...You're placing your entire emphasis on the belief that "cussing" is infinitely defined as being "bad" , "promoting unacceptable behavior" which is arrogant in the least and asinine, and shows your true colors.

Hoss;970951 wrote:

Talking with you is quite frustrating. For example I asked you a simple question: 'Do you want your kids subjected to that (that being the F word and sexually explicit wrap music and lyrics) each time you stop at a light?

To which you stated: 'I cannot speak for my child..."

That is an illogical response to my question. I did not ask you what your child would say about that, I asked YOU if YOU thought YOU wanted YOUR child subjected to the F word and sexually explicit wrap music and lyrics. It is you who will be responsible for raising your child and allowing what they hear or don’t hear.

You dodged the question. I hadn't dodged anything...You obviously cannot think for yourself and this proves it...I said that "I cannot speak for my child" which blatantly implies I could care less what he/she is exposed to seeing as how I can raise my child before, during, and after any events witnessed whether good or bad...Having to dumb down the conversation I will tell you that no I do not care what cussword my child hears...You're insinuating that you can prevent your child from hearing cusswords is not only manipulative and controlling but completely naive.

Hoss;970951 wrote:

You also dodged:

Are you telling me you never judge? You have no idea how many contexts are behined "judge"...Think about it if you can...When you fill me in on what context you're using the word "judge" I'll then be prepared to answer you specifically...Until then I've told you and I'll tell you again. I do not judge people to whom cuss...

Hoss;970951 wrote:

Trying to discuss things with you is like discussing things with an owl… Who? Who? I don't believe you know what you're talking about...I can't say that I'm surprised...Once again you've taken a simple minded joke and tried to pass it off as if it were relevant and fitting to this discussion...I've asked "Why?" "Why?" and you cannot answer...You my friend are the pot calling the kettle black.

Hoss;970951 wrote:

I have been honest and up front replying and answering these posts, and at each reply you purposely duck or dodge an issue I bring up, or you ask a number of questions to drag it off topic and control the conversation.

I've been plain and spoke genuinely, but I'm done now, I’ve said what I’ve said and I'll explain no more of what I said.

Good day.

You've been honest and up front on behalf of your own agenda...Nothing more...I've asked you with the utmost sincerity of "Who says and what gives you or them the right to judge cuss words as being disrespectful when they're not aimed to anyone with ill malice?" and "How does using cusswords "demonstrate that they intend to disrespect others regularly."" yet you still cannot bring yourself to answer me...You're obviously dodging the questions...

As for now I'm finished with you until you can answer perfectly legitimate questions from which I've asked.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Hoss;972866 wrote: Let me give you an example: Lets say your in a discussion and the person your having the discussion isn’t getting what you say, you have a choice of trying to break down the conversation to make your point, or you can get angry and call him an ‘arrogant prick’.I've gotten everything you've said...What you haven't done is answered my questions pertaining to your logic...When you continuously ignore people and their sincere questions and belittle them by virtue of farce reprieve you'll get called an "arrogant prick"...It happens...

Hoss;972866 wrote:

I am discussing what I believe here, and you are doing the same thing, why is that different for either of us?And all I've been doing has been asking you questions pertaining to your logic...Questions that you still have not answered...It's a thread...You've posted you're opinion and when asked about your logic you choose to get defensive and ignore perfectly ligitimate and relevant questions...

Hoss;972866 wrote:

I have no advantage, I’m speaking from all I know and believe. I’ve said cussing is habitual and that leads me to believe they will do it again. I said usually cuss words are spoken in anger and admitted that some people may use cusswords for humor alone. Why should I repeat myself over and over? You don't have to repeat yourself because I haven't asked you the same questions you hadn't otherwised refused to answer...Simple really..."Who says and what gives you or them the right to judge cuss words as being disrespectful when they're not aimed to anyone with ill malice?" and "How does using cusswords "demonstrate that they intend to disrespect others regularly.""

Hoss;972866 wrote:

Let me answer you directly anyway.Finally...

Hoss;972866 wrote:

Kids who get to use swear words will use them as they see them used, when we are angry we think less rationally, we will typically use the same phrases and words we are most familiar with, so the cusswords are the words that come up fast in our minds. If kids are allowed to cuss regularly when anger comes out so do the typical sear words. Well finally you've voiced your logic as to why you do not like to hear people cuss in public...Was it worth all of that?...

Hoss;972866 wrote:

Those words are very easily used in biting and cutting ways, and that what I see the most. It turns into name calling. Some people get just a little bit frustrated and it comes spewing out as angry. Can I clarify with the fact that this is my observations amongst those that cuss?This is mere opinion...You've voiced the part of your logic why you feel cussing in public is not acceptable to the likes of yourself...Now I ask why it is you feel cusswords are only used in "biting" and cutting" ways and how it is you feel cussing is threatening to anyone...

Hoss;972866 wrote:

From my example above I’m certain the person who got angry used the derogatory term ‘prick’ before, probably regularly and more times in anger than humor. And with the intent to hurt the person they were talking to. Now you're judging motives...What you're doing is taking words said and judging people because of it like you've illustrated throughout this entire thread...I'd asked why and how it is you feel you're more right to judge people who cuss than those to whom cuss...

Hoss;972866 wrote:

I think I was clear from the beginning with my statements. I did answer your question the best I could. I’m sorry that I interfered with your posts, and I won’t make the same mistake again.

Have a good day.You were clear...Clear in everything you've chosen to answer...
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I enjoyed your story, Fuzzy!!

From the original post concerning religious displays in public we seem to have arrived at the American phenomenon of evil cusswords!!! Maybe we should have a separate thread about this.

On swearing - in general. I've had four kids and had to deal early on with how they spoke. I do care how they express themselves and also on how they treat other people. This is important! In my opinion, language is one of the special gifts humans have received. In language we have a vast array of possibilities at our disposal. I don't believe any combination of sounds is so evil it should never be uttered. Words are just words. But in the mouths of humans they can become weapons to incite, insult, confuse, belittle, turn away wrath, destroy, brainwash, twist, spin, win over, hurt, persuade, heal etc etc. And this without employing a single "cussword!!!!"

For me, no word is taboo. My academic background is languages, including my own. I love words. But - they need to be properly used, preferably used wonderfully. And ideally, for good.

If any one word or phrase is overused, that debases the coin. Someone whose every second word is the "F word" - I'd type it here but think the sanitising program would just put asterisks - their command of language is very poor. In addition, they might accidentally upset some bystander who has a different view.

I believe that there is a place for every single word - when only it will do. So I try and save colourful expressions for when I actually intend them to have full and appropriate impact. And perhaps I will want to offend someone some day. If I haven't called them a clueless bloody loser, an arrogant prick or a ****ing fool every day - and swearing isn't my normal conduct - those words might then become very effective.

And this is what I have tried to teach my children!

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I didn't know swearing was peculiar to Americans. :rolleyes:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

AussiePam;972927 wrote: I don't believe any combination of sounds is so evil it should never be uttered. Words are just words. But in the mouths of humans they can become weapons to incite, insult, confuse, belittle, turn away wrath, destroy, brainwash, twist, spin, win over, hurt, persuade, heal etc etc. And this without employing a single "cussword!!!!"

And then you have those to whom feel that way when someone cuss when there had been no ill malice intended all derived on the fact that one cannot think for themselves because they've chosen to associate someone elses' experiences as being the sentiment of divine righteousness...
abbey

Post by abbey »

Sometimes it's just best to agree to disagree. :-6

Return to “General Religious Discussions”