English History

Raven

English History

Post by Raven »

Heres a start of what I've found so far. This is the guy thats on the second floor of the British Museum. It's Lindow man. I'm still trying to find out some more.

http://www.mummytombs.com/mummylocator/ ... dowman.htm

http://www.londonpagesonline.com/index. ... /index.htm

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh/art12215.html

This last link might interest you some, since like you, I think the 'arthur' legends has more than just a kernal of truth to them. It's the excavation of the celtic causeway.

(yep, I've read all three mary stewart books!) We're on the trail of Merlin, this summer, in Wales. :-6
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
kensloft

English History

Post by kensloft »

jennifer35 wrote: Not the bog man of whom I am thinking, mine was from, according to some dating, probably carbon, 400s AD. No Askin name that I have heard of. Must look it up. I have a postcard somewhere here from the British Museum. Re Schliemann we probably read the same book, a quasi-autobiographic book about him and his wife. After reading that I had the library get me in one which was more 'honest'. There was one I really tried to get but couldn't about his house in Greece. I thought he died from ear problems. He had an operation, in either Italy or Paris, former I think, for his ears which was not done well. Something to do with bone growing? Anyway I think he died due to complications from that. This is what my memory says anyway! I actually felt sorry for the man, I felt he was driven, he had an awful beginning. He so much wanted people to think something of him, sad really. I wonder why he put the collection in Germany instead of Greece as promised? Jenny
The Gold of Troy was another book about Schliemann that was biographical. It detailed his life, utilization of languages to help him to amass his fortune time and again. He died in Italy from complications of a body ravaged from an unsuccessful ear operation problems. The quasi biography was made from his wife's letters to him during their lives together.

He had a point of, when learning a new language, finding the best teacher that he could find and then incorporating the language with the proper speech patterns that would give him the ability to move in the circles of people who were educated.

Payne, Robert. The Gold of Troy: The Story of Heinrich Schliemann and the Buried Cities of Ancient Greece. Funk &Wagnalls Co. New York, 1959.

Go to the address bar and enter schliemann and it should come up to his biography.
abbey

English History

Post by abbey »

Doctor Who wrote: No you don't; No it isn't
Is'nt what?

I thought that English History was taught in British schools :confused:
kensloft

English History

Post by kensloft »

Sounds like the British are going through a reality check. Great history but written by the winners. Like all winners they tend to exaggerate their exploits. There is still lots to be thankful for with their influences around the world.
twizzel

English History

Post by twizzel »

Founcy the most important date in English history was 1689 the year the bill of rights was made law, as a result every politiction from Ted Heath who has signed any European legislation which places European law in a superior position to English law has committed treason against the common law and subversion of allegiegence an offence against the crown.

this bill which is effectivelly the English written constitution says,No foriegn prince,person,prelat.state.or potentate,hath or ought to have any jurisdiction,power,superiority,pre-eminance,or authority,ecclesiastical, or spiritual within this relm.

Put simply we cant by our law surrender any of our law making to any other country in the world.

download it from the net its the 1689 bill of rights you should find the history and the bill interesting
gmc

English History

Post by gmc »

Founcy the most important date in English history was 1689 the year the bill of rights was made law, as a result every politiction from Ted Heath who has signed any European legislation which places European law in a superior position to English law has committed treason against the common law and subversion of allegiegence an offence against the crown.

this bill which is effectivelly the English written constitution says,No foriegn prince,person,prelat.state.or potentate,hath or ought to have any jurisdiction,power,superiority,pre-eminance,or authority,ecclesiastical, or spiritual within this relm.

Put simply we cant by our law surrender any of our law making to any other country in the world.

download it from the net its the 1689 bill of rights you should find the history and the bill interesting

I suppose that's why we ended up with a foreign monarchy then.

Thomas Paine

from Rights of Man Pt. I

8. There never did, there never will, and there never can exist a parliament, or any description of man, or any generation of men, in any country, possessed of the right or the power of binding and controlling posterity to the "end of time," or of commanding for ever how the world shall be governed, or who shall govern it;.....Every age and generation must be free to act for itself, in all cases, as the ages and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave, is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies....It is the living, and not the dead, that are to be accommodated....That which a whole nation chooses to do, it has a right to do.....Those who have quitted the world, and those who are not yet arrived at it, are as remote from each other, as the utmost stretch of mortal imagination can conceive.

twizzel

English History

Post by twizzel »

You are correct this is why we have a foriegn monarchy when James the 2nd got out of his pram and disolved parliament William of Orange was invited to take the thrown.

the 1689 bill of rights laid out the line of succession from William our present Queen is Queen as a direct result of this bill.

this bill came about because parliament lords and commons asked for representatives from all over England to go to westminster and tell parliament how the English wanted to be ruled.

You should download it from the net it is a very sencible bill unlike the bills passed by the polititions.
gmc

English History

Post by gmc »

Thomas Paine

William the Conqueror: the principal ruffian of some restless gang....A French bastard landing with an armed banditti, and establishing himself king of England against the consent of the natives, is in plain terms a very rascally original. p. 76

keeping up with tradition.

Posted by twizzel

You miss my point, the claim of the present monarchy to the throne is tenuous at best. A foreign prince having jurisdicion, power , superiority or authority ecclesiastical or spiritual within this realm.

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~crossby/ECW/

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~crossby/ECW/
twizzel

English History

Post by twizzel »

William Duke of Normandy based his claim on the fact that he had been promised the crown by the king of England and Harold offered him his allegiance.

William believed Harold had usurped the thrown, and he believed he was only taking that which was his.

William of Orange did not invade England he was invited in and offered the crown but before it was given to him he had to agree to accept the bill of rights, he was the choice of the people of England and was chosen on religious grownds and not his nationality.

Besides all the royal families in europe have so intermarried that they are one family anyway.
gmc

English History

Post by gmc »

William Duke of Normandy based his claim on the fact that he had been promised the crown by the king of England and Harold offered him his allegiance.

William believed Harold had usurped the thrown, and he believed he was only taking that which was his.

William of Orange did not invade England he was invited in and offered the crown but before it was given to him he had to agree to accept the bill of rights, he was the choice of the people of England and was chosen on religious grownds and not his nationality.

Besides all the royal families in europe have so intermarried that they are one family anyway.

What exactly is the point you are trying to make? They're all foreigners, being interbred doesn't make them less ridiculous, they are good for the touriust industry though.
twizzel

English History

Post by twizzel »

They are less trouble than polititions
gmc

English History

Post by gmc »

Only cos they were put in their place.
twizzel

English History

Post by twizzel »

So were the polititions in 1689, unfortunately they seem to have forgotten.

In this country the will of the people is supreme, the polititions think they are a law unto themselves they are not.
gmc

English History

Post by gmc »

posted by Twizzel

So were the polititions in 1689, unfortunately they seem to have forgotten.

In this country the will of the people is supreme, the polititions think they are a law unto themselves they are not.

Actually there I would agree with you, don't know about England but biggest problem we have here is the labour mafia get elected time after time despite doing the most ridiculous things. Don't mention the parliament building.
Bothwell

English History

Post by Bothwell »

Hollyrood House, ha ha

Sorry GMC I could not resist.

Anyway you lot should not complain it's us Sassenachs that have the Jock mafia running the country, Brown, Blair, Read etc, any chance you want them back?
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
gmc

English History

Post by gmc »

please we're trying to pretend they are not ours. Actually some of their policies-like foundation hospitals didn't get throiugh the Scottish parliament yet it was scottish mp's that carried the day for them.

I'm going to hear Robin Cook on Friday, should be interesting, wh not him for labour leader? He's not quite as crooked as some of them I think. Just don't mention his expenses
john8pies

English History

Post by john8pies »

I think English history is very interesting (and details of it easily obtainable from the INternet, as explained in other posts). It does distress me though to read quotes like `the Scottish hate the English` though, apparently because of things that happened to them hundreds of years ago. None of the English who are alive today were alive then so couldn`t have been responsible, could they? Or is everybody expected to carry grudges permanently and hand them down to their descendants too? (no offence intended...just a query)
gmc

English History

Post by gmc »

posted by john8pies

I think English history is very interesting (and details of it easily obtainable from the INternet, as explained in other posts). It does distress me though to read quotes like `the Scottish hate the English` though, apparently because of things that happened to them hundreds of years ago. None of the English who are alive today were alive then so couldn`t have been responsible, could they? Or is everybody expected to carry grudges permanently and hand them down to their descendants too? (no offence intended...just a query)

Why do you have racism in america? On one level it's simple prejudice and bigotry, on another it's a running joke with no harm intended like the comments between Bothwell and myself-we're just kidding. Same if i take the mickey out of German friends we're both aware of the history but it shapes the present.

Most of the more rabid anti-english Scots tend not to know very much of their own history, they just think they do. Patriotism and bigotry can be two sides of the same coin.

My wifes english but Northern English which is a distinction most people from the north of england are keen to make clear.
Bothwell

English History

Post by Bothwell »

I have only encountered serious anti English behaviour on one occasion in Scotland and the guy in question was sorted out by other jocks. As GMC says it's a running joke and is rarely taken too seriously. If you want to see something funny watch England play football against say Moldova and if you are watching in a pub in Scotland then all the patrons become ardent Moldovans.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
twizzel

English History

Post by twizzel »

GMC hello we get the polititions we deserve if we dont give them hell all the time when they dont listen to us we will get what we have.

Insist on being heard and make them do what you want.
capt_buzzard

English History

Post by capt_buzzard »

twizzel wrote: GMC hello we get the polititions we deserve if we dont give them hell all the time when they dont listen to us we will get what we have.

Insist on being heard and make them do what you want.Correct
twizzel

English History

Post by twizzel »

Hello Capt Buzzard so why dont more of us do it.

And what is this vote of concience they keep having, a polititions concience should be the concience of the people who put him/her in parliament.
spot

English History

Post by spot »

Flouncey wrote: It used to be taught as standard in most secondary schools but I don't think that is the case now. :(

"In England and Wales , the National Curriculum compulsory subjects for KS1–3 include English (and/or Welsh in Wales), mathematics, science, design and technology, information and communication technology (ICT) (information technology (IT) in Wales), physical education, history, geography, art and design (art in Wales) and music. A foreign language is compulsory at KS3. In September 2002, citizenship became a statutory requirement in England from KS3."

- see http://www.nfer.ac.uk/eurydice/factfile ... erview.asp
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
twizzel

English History

Post by twizzel »

If you look through history you will find the Scots and Irish are a funny lot there countries always side with our enemys and there people in large numbers fight in our armed forces mixed up lot arnt they.

down load the 1689 bill of rights from the net it is the best piece of law ever written and if you look at the aliens act of 1705ish you will see why the Scots gave up there parliament for money something I would never do even if I would like to shoot most of our mps.
gmc

English History

Post by gmc »

posted by twizzel

If you look through history you will find the Scots and Irish are a funny lot there countries always side with our enemys and there people in large numbers fight in our armed forces mixed up lot arnt they.

down load the 1689 bill of rights from the net it is the best piece of law ever written and if you look at the aliens act of 1705ish you will see why the Scots gave up there parliament for money something I would never do even if I would like to shoot most of our mps.

If you look through history you will find most peoples are a funny lot, is tghere some point you are trying to make?

http://www.highlanderweb.co.uk/wallace/1707act.htm

http://www.alba.org.uk/burns/rogues.html

The rogues are still with us. Two of the B(*&^^&^S are in Downing street
twizzel

English History

Post by twizzel »

Hello runnerbeans glad to hear it.

WAS 1707 THE ACT OF UNION? MEMORY FAILS IN MY OLD AGE
gmc

English History

Post by gmc »

posted by Twizzel

Hello runnerbeans glad to hear it.

WAS 1707 THE ACT OF UNION? MEMORY FAILS IN MY OLD AGE

Twas indeed
turbonium

English History

Post by turbonium »

England's History - they managed to make enemies of more countries than anyone could even imagine!! (until Bush did it in a fraction of the time with the U.S.) :wah: :wah:
Uncle Kram

English History

Post by Uncle Kram »

English History Quiz

King George VI was the last King of England to be named George. Name the other 5

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
lady cop

English History

Post by lady cop »

SnoozeControl wrote: Didn't Hugh Laurie play one?yep, in Blackadder

Attached files

Return to “History”