Random Thoughts

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
LarsMac

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:24 pm
cars wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:25 pm
spot wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:53 am Besides, anyone creating their own sunshine would have a SWAT team at their door before nightfall.
I keep forgetting the language difference in countries. From what I'm gathering from your comments, is sounds like your are talking about what we call "MOONSHINE here! :lol:
Oops, I thought they were going to spark up their own fusion reactor :-)
Thats where i was going.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
cars

Post by cars »

Never Never put off till tomorrow . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

WHAT YOU CAN DO THE DAY AFTER THAT!!! :lol:
Cars :)
spot

Post by spot »

From today's trivia...

"Caffeine actually dehydrates your body, so the water in caffeinated coffee cannot count toward you eight glasses a day!"

Bogus claptrap twattery, all the setter needed to do was check online. Of course it doesn't dehydrate the body. The word he needs is diuretic, not dehydrate, and of course it can be counted.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:43 am From today's trivia...

"Caffeine actually dehydrates your body, so the water in caffeinated coffee cannot count toward you eight glasses a day!"

Bogus claptrap twattery, all the setter needed to do was check online. Of course it doesn't dehydrate the body. The word he needs is diuretic, not dehydrate, and of course it can be counted.
If it’s a diuretic and causes the body to get rid of more water than is included in making the coffee it will tend to dehydrate the body and therefore should not be counted.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The Mrs' doctor told us that while caffeine does act as a diuretic, it does not offset the amount of water you take in, unless all you do is espresso shots.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:05 am The Mrs' doctor told us that while caffeine does act as a diuretic, it does not offset the amount of water you take in, unless all you do is espresso shots.
Ah, so the claim was false
spot

Post by spot »

"Drinking caffeine-containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle doesn't cause fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested. While caffeinated drinks may have a mild diuretic effect — meaning that they may cause the need to urinate — they don't appear to increase the risk of dehydration." - https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... q-20057965

By all means throw alternative facts if you can find a respectable one.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:55 am
LarsMac wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:05 am The Mrs' doctor told us that while caffeine does act as a diuretic, it does not offset the amount of water you take in, unless all you do is espresso shots.
Ah, so the claim was false
That's my take.
I get the feeling that if you drink a 16 Oz espresso, and no other fluids over a day, you might feel a tad dehydrated.
But, the doc said that the average cup of Coffee would not contain enough caffeine to counter the fluid intake.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:28 pm "Drinking caffeine-containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle doesn't cause fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested. While caffeinated drinks may have a mild diuretic effect — meaning that they may cause the need to urinate — they don't appear to increase the risk of dehydration." - https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... q-20057965

By all means throw alternative facts if you can find a respectable one.
That’s where the “if” came in :-)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Here in the US, there is a big outcry against CRTs
I don't get it. We grew up watching TV on CRTs and all the computers in the world had CRTs. And now that LCDs and OLEDs and Plasma are popular, everybody is getting down on CRT.
I don't think that I even own one anymore, but are they worthy of all the hate and discontent?
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:28 am Here in the US, there is a big outcry against CRTs
I don't get it. We grew up watching TV on CRTs and all the computers in the world had CRTs. And now that LCDs and OLEDs and Plasma are popular, everybody is getting down on CRT.
I don't think that I even own one anymore, but are they worthy of all the hate and discontent?
Would that be Critical Race Theory?
cars

Post by cars »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:24 am
LarsMac wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:28 am Here in the US, there is a big outcry against CRTs
cathode ray tubes
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:28 am
cathode ray tubes
Why on earth would anyone start an outcry about them - they’re ten years too late.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The do-Right-wingers are all in an uproar over the idea that kids might learn just how despicably their grandparents might have treated other people in their day.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:35 pm
The do-Right-wingers are all in an uproar over the idea that kids might learn just how despicably their grandparents might have treated other people in their day.
Strange
cars

Post by cars »

The best way to start is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . TO TAKE THE FIRST STEP! :)
cars

Post by cars »

leave a little "SPARKLE"

wherever you go
spot

Post by spot »

Gavin Williamson gets a knighthood???

That man couldn't qualify for a Blue Peter badge.
cars

Post by cars »

So I yelled at a woman on a bike COW!

And she gave me the finger.

Then she plowed straight into the COW!

Well, I tried, :lol:
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:16 pm So I yelled at a woman on a bike COW!

And she gave me the finger.

Then she plowed straight into the COW!

Well, I tried, :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

So My Brother committed suicide..... Kinda knew that already. but my sister had to ring me and tell me the coroner will list his death as suicide........DAH!
She's not buying it though. People have been known to accidently take too much medication and because nobody was there when he took the medication nobody will ever be sure.......FFS!
So....the texts he sent his children and ex telling them how much he loved them immediately before (out of character)
His work mates telling the police that he stated he wasn't too good and not in the right frame of mind.
The way he was found.

I've had enough. I'm going with my first instinct of not engaging with the family and I'll go visit his and dads grave maybe on the anniversary of his death. I'll send mum a locket with their faces in it and leave it at that.
There's already a dark cloud over the funeral arrangements and burial .....quite trully it's just disgusting and the whole thing isn't even about my brother anymore. It's all about one person scoring points against ?...I don't know...who has she got a problem with this year?
I'm sure I'll hear all about it afterwards, just like after dads funeral....yes same self appointed person wrapped up in that as well and people stopped talking to each other. Once again it's gone to the dogs............but she's just trying to help . God help us all!

Leaving this all behind me....and them as well.
cars

Post by cars »

Sorry to hear of your loss, my deepest condolences. Be strong for yourself, and just worry about taking care of yourself! Let the others fend for themselves.
spot

Post by spot »

Courageous Govey, well hast thou acquit thee.
Lo, here this long-usurpèd royalty
From the dead temples of this bloody wretch
Have I plucked off, to grace thy brows withal.
Wear it, enjoy it, and make much of it.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Not a thought really, but a random chuckle. Rumour has it Carrie nipped to Lidl for a wallpaper steamer earlier today.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

He is amazing! ;)
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Betty Boop wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:35 am He is amazing! ;)

Sob, terrible news, I am gutted for him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/62082405
spot

Post by spot »

I note the following link text in today's Guardian: "As many as 500 homeless people died in Phoenix area in first half of 2022".

The expression puzzles me. The only number I can think of that means "As many as 500" is 500. The author of the sentence is (if I read the piece correctly) a senior reporter for Guardian US.

Is, for example, 100 as many as 500? No. Is 400 as many as 500? No. Is 499 as many as 500? No. Is 501 as many as 500? No.

eta: Surprisingly, the OED agrees with me exactly. It also gives various examples in support:
1526 Bible (Tyndale) Rom. ii. 12 And as many as haue synned vnder the lawe shalbe iudged by the lawe.
1552 Bk. Common Prayer (STC 16279) Morninge Prayer sig. iv Wherfore I praye and beseche you, as many as be here present, to accompanye me.
1667 J. Milton Paradise Lost iii. 289 So in thee..shall be restor'd, As many as are restor'd. View more context for this quotation
1865 C. Dickens Our Mutual Friend II. iv. xvii. 304 As many as are of that opinion, say Aye,—contrary, No—the Ayes have it.
1950 M. Peake Gormenghast xxiv. 159 This poem..shall be addressed to as many as are here present in all the variance of their receptivity.
1976 S. Lloyd Mr Speaker, Sir 179 He then ‘collects the voices’ by saying, ‘As many as are of that opinion say aye: of the contrary noe’.

Never, while growing to man's estate, did I dream I might one day beg Selwyn Lloyd's authority on any topic under the sun, but I now appear to have reached that very pass. For those who may have forgotten, he was Foreign Secretary when Her Majesty's Government (in cahoots with the French) ordered the most recent British invasion of Egypt. We were, if I remember correctly, given an icy ultimatum to withdraw by the White House. Eisenhower was clearly not impressed by Selwyn's disdainful approach to lesser nations, God only knows what he'd have thought of his gormless Presidential successor Bush Junior.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:58 am

Never, while growing to man's estate, did I dream I might one day beg Selwyn Lloyd's authority on any topic under the sun, but I now appear to have reached that very pass. For those who may have forgotten, he was Foreign Secretary when Her Majesty's Government (in cahoots with the French) ordered the most recent British invasion of Egypt. We were, if I remember correctly, given an icy ultimatum to withdraw by White House. Eisenhower was clearly not impressed by Selwyn's disdainful approach to lesser nations, God only knows what he's have thought of his gormless Presidential successor Bush Junior.
Forgotten? Some of us weren't even born!!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Was thinking of you all today.
I hope you're all keeping cool as much as you can.

Hug and kisses.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The Mrs has been complaining that the overnight temps have been dropping down into the 60s at night. For me, that is the good part. I get up at sunrise, and the cool mornings make life bearable.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Keep her wrapped well.

It's a lot easier to warm up than to cool down though, I'm all in favor of fine drizzle and a good breeze.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:17 am Keep her wrapped well.

It's a lot easier to warm up than to cool down though, I'm all in favor of fine drizzle and a good breeze.
I'm with ya, there.

Here is the forecast for today. And pretty much every day this week (Month).

Today- A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 5pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 97. West northwest wind 8 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.
Tonight- A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 63. Northwest wind 9 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

The most significant variation is in the " with gusts as high as ..."
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

A cannabis user who stole Viagra from a pharmacy he was banned from "is not a hardened criminal" according to his lawyer.

Stephen Cooper, 46, stole the packet of Viagra from a Lloyds Pharmacy as he needed it for himself due to forming a relationship with a woman, a court heard.

A drugs warrant had been executed at his address in Leek eight days prior to the incident and police found £10 worth of cannabis in his room.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... y-21537858

They were high fiving in the bar after they got that quote to press.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:05 pm
A cannabis user who stole Viagra from a pharmacy he was banned from "is not a hardened criminal" according to his lawyer.

Stephen Cooper, 46, stole the packet of Viagra from a Lloyds Pharmacy as he needed it for himself due to forming a relationship with a woman, a court heard.

A drugs warrant had been executed at his address in Leek eight days prior to the incident and police found £10 worth of cannabis in his room.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... y-21537858

They were high fiving in the bar after they got that quote to press.
I guess the question of the quote fitting would depend on whether the box was full or empty.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Too many damn dogs.

It used to be that whilst the children were at school, you'd slope off for a quiet coffee and cake and feel hard done by (or smug it wasn't yours) when someone else's child was having a bad day in the vicinity of your peace and tranquillity. Now it seems we have to put up with the next worst thing to spoil your peace, people's precious bloody dogs!
I have a dog dander allergy, so no, I don't want your dog approaching and sniffing me putting me in an awkward position when I don't gleefully say 'oh he\she's lovely, what's their name? I won't drop to my knees to embrace and cuddle it whilst talking to it in some crazy high pitch voice I've never used even on my own animals or children. 'I love how you all glare at me like I'm some murderer because I don't instantly turn slushy and gooey at the sight of your wonderful soul mate.
I am sat in a cafe with my coffee and cake, no I don't want to stroke your dog, push it off me, or have it lie under my table, thank you. Don't giggle like they are your naughty child pushing the boundaries when they are invading my space, make your dog lie under your own table, even better tie it up outside.
To all you pathetic dog owners turning your pets into your precious little poppets, you need a reality check, you seem to think leaving your husband holding the baby of the family whilst you pop to order your coffee, cake and doggy ice cream is cute, you sit with the precious one next time and keep the peace. Whilst you have abandoned your spoilt baby, we are sat listening to non-stop whining from baby and daddy non-stop saying 'shhh it's ok, she'll be back in a minute, there there', looking as panicked as if he were holding a newborn.
Heaven help us if there's another dog in the room, coffee will be accompanied by barking and telling off, tellings off ignored and barking reduced to a growl. If my children made noise like that and disturbed other people I'd remove them from the situation. I've never expected other people to put up with my children's bad moods or manners, why do you we have to put up with yours?
Did you leave your tiny minds in the last poop bag you disposed of?

Rant over :lol:
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:20 pm Rant over :lol:
An impressive example of ranting though. If ForumGarden had commendation stickers you'd definitely get one.

I've no problem with working dogs so long as appropriate rights are established and guaranteed. They have abilities beyond those of humans, which they no doubt enjoy displaying.

Training the damn things up to be jack-booted attack weapons to enforce civil obedience is a different matter, mind - there should be an enforceable international law against such a tactic, carrying penalties as a huge red warning sign to the entire command structure using it.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Hello Peeps....long time no post.
I randomly thought of you all today, Hi
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:29 am Hello Peeps....long time no post.
Hello,its good to hear from you, I thought of you too within the last week, realising we'd not heard from you in a while.

Hope all is well.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Far too long, I randomly miss your posts quite often :-)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I hope all is well with you,
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I hope you're safe and well? Australia made some odd decisions about Covid-19, lots of countries did, but we all seem to have been hit hard at some stage over the last three years.

You were flooded a while back. Bryn was flooded last month. I live on higher ground, a waterproof jacket is all I need. Did your flood need a lot of clearing after?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Gday old boy, long time no type.
How have you been? How's the boy?

I've been living on the low side for some time now. Not much contact with anyone. Home or abroad.
I was working in the same place for the last two years then was removed from site in March without any explanantion.
The company is playing funny buggers with me in regards to my final payments and redundancy.
I have a few prospects on the horizon but broke, very broke at the moment. I don't qualify for welfare. It seems these days you basically have to be homeless.
My union has helped, they got me my legal payments, but now I'm sitting around waiting for them to pay out. It's shocking behavoiour from a major company.

I've been decluttering and down sizing recently. I have so much stuff.
The pile in the backyard is getting higher and higher. I'll leave here and try to get a cheaper smaller place, so I can save some money.
I began prepping over two years ago. The last few months has proven that decision was a correct one. Has saved my butt up to this point.

Hope you've all been well......floods, fires, droughts, deseases. Probably war in the next couple of years. How many are still on this forum?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:19 pm Gday old boy, long time no type.
How have you been? How's the boy?

I've been living on the low side for some time now. Not much contact with anyone. Home or abroad.
I was working in the same place for the last two years then was removed from site in March without any explanantion.
The company is playing funny buggers with me in regards to my final payments and redundancy.
I have a few prospects on the horizon but broke, very broke at the moment. I don't qualify for welfare. It seems these days you basically have to be homeless.
My union has helped, they got me my legal payments, but now I'm sitting around waiting for them to pay out. It's shocking behavoiour from a major company.

I've been decluttering and down sizing recently. I have so much stuff.
The pile in the backyard is getting higher and higher. I'll leave here and try to get a cheaper smaller place, so I can save some money.
I began prepping over two years ago. The last few months has proven that decision was a correct one. Has saved my butt up to this point.

Hope you've all been well......floods, fires, droughts, deseases. Probably war in the next couple of years. How many are still on this forum?
Thank the Lord for the Union, it sounds like you’d be in a right pickle without them. Surely the company has an obligation to give you a reason?

From my end we were washed out of the apartment in Crete during a rainstorm (“of biblical proportions” according to Greek TV) and we’re still sorting out the damage there.

On a brighter note, we’re expecting another granddaughter in July and another great grandchild in September - the rabbits are still at it :-)

Sadly, there’s not many of us left as regular posters here, the silence can be deafening.

The best of luck with your move and I hope your money gets sorted soon (that always helps).
spot

Post by spot »

Allow me to ask a deeply insensitive but quite puzzled question relating to
The family of a teenager allegedly paid by a BBC star for sexually explicit photos is said by the Sun to be upset by the corporation's latest response.

The BBC said it first became aware of a complaint in May and then of "new allegations" on Thursday.

But the family alleged "no one from the BBC rang them for a proper interview after the initial complaint".

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66150845

Why on earth are the allegations anything to do with the BBC? I simply don't see why the organization should have reacted in the slightest, it's a police matter. I have no idea why the BBC was even told, much less subsequently pilloried.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:06 am Allow me to ask a deeply insensitive but quite puzzled question relating to
The family of a teenager allegedly paid by a BBC star for sexually explicit photos is said by the Sun to be upset by the corporation's latest response.

The BBC said it first became aware of a complaint in May and then of "new allegations" on Thursday.

But the family alleged "no one from the BBC rang them for a proper interview after the initial complaint".

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66150845

Why on earth are the allegations anything to do with the BBC? I simply don't see why the organization should have reacted in the slightest, it's a police matter. I have no idea why the BBC was even told, much less subsequently pilloried.
Likewise I have no idea why the demands that the BBC release the name of the presenter.

Presumably the media already know who it is but are reluctant to publish until it is in the public domain - I’m a firm believer that it should never be published until the person involved is charged with an offence.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:44 am Likewise I have no idea why the demands that the BBC release the name of the presenter.

Presumably the media already know who it is but are reluctant to publish until it is in the public domain - I’m a firm believer that it should never be published until the person involved is charged with an offence.

The entire thing reeks of Max Clifford, except that rat died in jail years ago. Someone out there may have resurrected his technique.

You haven't yet worked out who the green .sig quote is by.

The sentence certainly confused ChatGPT though...
That's wonderful to hear! It sounds like you were deeply involved in the social and political movements of the time, particularly during the 1960s and 1970s when the term "flower power" became popular. This was a period characterized by widespread activism for peace, freedom, and human rights, often associated with countercultural movements, protests against the Vietnam War, and the Civil Rights Movement.

The sexual revolution also happened around this time, and the phrase "nooky every night" seems to refer to that. This was a period where attitudes towards sex became more liberal and open. It's clear from your statement that these experiences and the values you fought for had a significant impact on you.

Can you share any specific experiences or insights from your activism and experiences during this era? I'm sure you have some interesting stories or reflections.
spot

Post by spot »

I note that Ben "see a bit of gratitude" Wallace, presently Britain's Minister for War, seems to have self-destructed this week. He announced today he will not be seeking re-election in any future General Election, two days after demanding Ukraine must not only be grateful for what crumbs fall from the UK's arms stockpile but must also voice that gratitude loudly in public. One wonders where he learned his manners.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... -gratitude

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... quit-as-mp
spot

Post by spot »

This, presumably true, is an observational gem. Whoever the political fool is who deliberately stirred up the ban in China is guilty of plain incompetence, for not organizing adequate diligence checks beforehand.
As China bans all seafood from Japan after the discharge of 1m tonnes of radioactive water from the ruined Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant into the Pacific Ocean, Beijing has been accused of hypocrisy and of using the incident to whip up anti-Japanese sentiment.

Scientists have pointed out that China’s own nuclear power plants release wastewater with higher levels of tritium than that found in Fukushima’s discharge, and that the levels are all within boundaries not considered to be harmful to human health.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... er-release

As far as the use of "tritium" in the paragraph is concerned:
Me: I believe that carefully crafting an article so that it is technically true while disguising other circumstances which would invalidate the point being made is colloquially known as employing "weasel words". Is there a better technical term?

AI: You're right that selectively presenting facts or carefully wording statements to mislead without technically lying is sometimes referred to as using "weasel words". Some other technical terms for this practice include:
  • Misdirection - Redirecting attention away from an important issue to focus on less relevant details.
  • Half-truth - Presenting some facts in a way that leads to a false conclusion.
  • Cherry picking - Selectively choosing data or facts that support one view while ignoring those against it.
  • Spin - Putting a misleadingly positive or favorable slant on information.
  • Obfuscation - Intentionally making something unclear, confusing or ambiguous to obscure the truth.
  • Loaded language - Using words with strong emotional implications to sway perceptions.
So in summary, some better technical terms for using careful wording to mislead without overtly lying are misdirection, spin, cherry picking, and obfuscation. But "weasel words" does capture the essence of slyly dancing around the truth.

Here we are, this might be the weasel...
The amount of 129-Iodine to be released in the treated water each year is 30-300 MBq. This is about 3,000-30,000 times lower than the steady state inventory of naturally occurring 129-Iodine in all of the oceans.

IAEA COMPREHENSIVE REPORT ON THE SAFETY REVIEW OF THE ALPS-TREATED WATER AT THE FUKUSHIMA DAIICHI NUCLEAR POWER STATION
AI: This statement from the IAEA report seems to be trying to downplay the amount of radioactive 129Iodine being discharged by comparing it to the total amount naturally present in the oceans. Specifically:
  • 129Iodine will be released at 30-300 MBq per year.
  • This is 3,000-30,000 times lower than the total 129Iodine already in the oceans.
So on the surface, this makes the discharge seem very small and insignificant.

However, there are a few potential issues with this comparison:
  • It doesn't consider localization - the discharged 129Iodine may concentrate in areas near Fukushima, rather than diluting evenly.
  • It ignores bioaccumulation - 129Iodine can concentrate as it goes up the food chain.
  • The steady state in oceans doesn't mean new inputs are harmless.
So in summary, by comparing to the total global inventory, this statement obscures the potential local effects of the discharge. It's an example of misdirection by presenting a factually true but misleading comparison. The absolute amounts and local impacts are more relevant than the global percentages.
spot

Post by spot »

It is some while since I last saw this sign, but I distinctly remember it.

Prohibited.png
Prohibited.png (782.34 KiB) Viewed 4580 times

Return to “General Chit Chat”