Random Thoughts

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
magentaflame

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:57 am And I learned this week that the shell of the pistachio was originally dyed to disguise bruises acquired when picked, but now to conform with user expectation.
Is it that purply colour?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:02 pm
spot wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:57 am And I learned this week that the shell of the pistachio was originally dyed to disguise bruises acquired when picked, but now to conform with user expectation.
Is it that purply colour?
I'm sure different producers offer various shades. The local healthfood shop here currently has barrels in faded green, yellow or red.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Post by cars »

Why do Seagulls fly over the Sea?

Because if they flew over the Bay, they would be Bagels! :P
Cars :)
cars

Post by cars »

There is no such thing as a grouchy old person.

The truth is, once you get old, you stop being polite.

And start just being Honest! :)
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

cars wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:30 pm There is no such thing as a grouchy old person.

My mom says that when you get old you have so many aches and pains and feel so bad that you get grouchy. But I agree with you, my mom just turned 90 and she says living to be 90 gives her the right to say anything she wants! :shock:
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

So today Oct. 14 is Be Bald and Free Day ...and Dessert Day...and International Top Spinning Day... and Sight Day ! :lol:

and tomorrow is National Grouch Day! :lol: and I Love Lucy Day! 8-)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Hope6 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:35 pm So today Oct. 14 is Be Bald and Free Day ...and Dessert Day...and International Top Spinning Day... and Sight Day ! :lol:

Can someone Love Lucy, and be a Grouch at the same time?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:50 pm
Hope6 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:35 pm So today Oct. 14 is Be Bald and Free Day ...and Dessert Day...and International Top Spinning Day... and Sight Day ! :lol:

Can someone Love Lucy, and be a Grouch at the same time?
Yes I think they can, look at Fred Mertz! :lol:
cars

Post by cars »

Hope6 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:53 pm
cars wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:30 pm There is no such thing as a grouchy old person.

My mom says that when you get old you have so many aches and pains and feel so bad that you get grouchy. But I agree with you, my mom just turned 90 and she says living to be 90 gives her the right to say anything she wants! :shock:
:) :) :)
cars

Post by cars »

What Day do all the Chickens Hide?

FRY-DAY :lol:
spot

Post by spot »

I was just reeding the Wikipedia article on the Liverpool vs Leeds FA cup final of 1965, the way one does.

Leeds were thugs the whole time Don Revie was in charge, but I quite like the grit of Bill Shankly here:
Five minutes into the match, Liverpool defender Gerry Byrne and Leeds captain Bobby Collins collided, which resulted in Byrne breaking his collarbone. As substitutions were not allowed, Byrne decided to continue playing. He was unaware of the extent of his injury, as manager Shankly decided against telling him.
That's back when men were men, I reckon.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Post by cars »

What do lions call Antelopes

FAST FOOD :lol:
cars

Post by cars »

What do you call a priest that studies the law and becomes a Lawyer

A FATHER - IN - LAW :lol:
cars

Post by cars »

Do you know what the largest Ant in the world is called

ELEPH-ANT ;)
cars

Post by cars »

Saw a Bumper sticker yesterday, it said:

Robots Might Build Our Cars,

But It Takes Skilled Human Hands,

To Keep Them Running Right!

(Rather True!)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:34 pm Saw a Bumper sticker yesterday, it said:

Robots Might Build Our Cars,

But It Takes Skilled Human Hands,

To Keep Them Running Right!

(Rather True!)
With skilled human brains to back them up.
spot

Post by spot »

A no-fly zone could be placed over Windsor Castle as part of a security review, Metropolitan Police has said.

The no-fly zone application, if successful, would prevent aircrafts flying up to 2,500ft above and 1.5 nautical miles around Windsor Castle

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... e-59927668
And Windsor Castle is 4 miles from Heathrow Airport? The castle is less than half a mile from the flightpath of both runways?

That'll be interesting then.

And the plural of aircraft is aircraft.
cars

Post by cars »

So,
Are you a "cautious defensive" driver, or a "assertive offensive" driver? Have you ever gotten any "tickets" for violations of the rules?

Me, "defensive" driver, allowing for "other's" mistakes and or inconsideration. "Never" any violation tickets. Never any accidents!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

cars wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:26 pm So,
Are you a "cautious defensive" driver, or a "assertive offensive" driver? Have you ever gotten any "tickets" for violations of the rules?

Me, "defensive" driver, allowing for "other's" mistakes and or inconsideration. "Never" any violation tickets. Never any accidents!
Mix of both, I think, I'd have to ask a passenger.

Can I answer the tickets or violations in a few weeks? Something might be in the post, I might have been caught speeding just after New Year :oops:
cars

Post by cars »

Betty Boop wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:33 pm

Can I answer the tickets or violations in a few weeks? Something might be in the post, I might have been caught speeding just after New Year :oops:
Those sneaky buggers, are you talking about those "traffic cams"? If you are, we have them here too, I have a friend who is going to fight that in court soon.
(Good Luck, hope they missed you)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I'm kinda an "Assertive Defensive" sort.

I drive pretty fast, but never rudely. And am always looking out for those other type of drivers.

I have gotten speeding tickets a few times.
One in London area from those speed cameras. The ticket showed up in my mail with a rather polite but insistent notice that I submit the fee, should I expect to have the privilege of driving in the UK on my next visit.
Once, driving through Austria, I was going along, minding my business when the guy just jumped out in the middle of the road holding a sign. I started to go around him, but noticed his uniform and slowed down. He then became very insistent that I stop. I did so. He was actually disappointed to find that I was not German (in spite of the license plate on the car.) His English was almost as bad as my German.
The speedometer said I was going about 75, and the officer insisted I was going 120. We had a long talk, and then he pointed out the switch on the Speedometer to change from MPH to KPH. it seemed my German Co-worker had changed it while he was driving the car in the UK.
Hmmm. We all had a good laugh, and he wrote me a ticket to pay at the next town.

I once got three speeding tickets in as many months.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

cars wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:16 pm
Betty Boop wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:33 pm

Those sneaky buggers, are you talking about those "traffic cams"? If you are, we have them here too, I have a friend who is going to fight that in court soon.
(Good Luck, hope they missed you)
It was a police van with a laser on a bridge. I might have noticed just in time, the landrover who overtook me had slammed on his brakes and I glanced around quick wondering why he'd done that, then I spotted the van on the bridge in horror and slowed myself down pretty quick too. I was doing 80 ish the landrover must have been doing 100, he sped past me. Maybe they were more interested in the landrover, lets hope so. Never been caught speeding before.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, do folks in UK complain about these traffic cams violating their privacy?
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Practically nobody does, they improve civil behavior wherever they're used and that's a good thing.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:34 pm So, do folks in UK complain about these traffic cams violating their privacy?
There are guidelines saying how they should be used and the only bitching I’ve heard is when they break their own rules.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Here, folks whine about how these cameras are violating our privacy.
Though I have yet to figure out how that works, since they are all out there on the public streets.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:56 pm Here, folks whine about how these cameras are violating our privacy.
Though I have yet to figure out how that works, since they are all out there on the public streets.
I have a problem when they rig the cameras up to face recognition software and actively track your movements (and that’s not just councils and government, there are even some shop chains that have been shown to be pulling tricks like that).
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I needed some help with my computer yesterday.
I used to ask Greg , I'd forgotten he'd gone.
Made me sad again.
Did that after hearing a joke a couple of years ago. I thought i should save it for Dubs, he'd appreciate a good joke.......oh well.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:32 am I needed some help with my computer yesterday.
I used to ask Greg , I'd forgotten he'd gone.
Made me sad again.
Did that after hearing a joke a couple of years ago. I thought i should save it for Dubs, he'd appreciate a good joke.......oh well.
I know that feeling.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

:(
Im sorry Lars
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:21 pm :(
Im sorry Lars
Thank you, and likewise.

By now, I suspect that most of us have those moments.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:39 pm
magentaflame wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:21 pm :(
Im sorry Lars
Thank you, and likewise.

By now, I suspect that most of us have those moments.
Actually, I havent yet with my brother because I hardly saw him when he was alive. Once those who are in charge of his affects put him in the ground there will be some closure of sorts. It's been 7 months and I feel nothing. When my sister sends all his pictures then maybe I'll have memories. But until then ....meh. I'm also getting pics of myself. I always told my boys there are no pics of me growing up...seems there are. Who knew lol
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Never trust a train.............they have Loco motives
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:42 am Never trust a train.............they have Loco motives
That stopped me in my tracks
spot

Post by spot »

I disapprove of humour. I have never encouraged the practice, I deplore the trivialism, the mandatory encouragement, the lowering of moral standards, the false sense of camaraderie engendered. None of this is worthy of the potential each participant might otherwise reach by self-improvement and serious engagement.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

:shock: Did one get out of the wrong side of bed?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

"If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore."
Wavy Gravy
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

Don’t take life so seriously, it’s not like you are going to get out alive. :)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:09 am
magentaflame wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:42 am Never trust a train.............they have Loco motives
So you're station -ary
cars

Post by cars »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:30 am
So you're station -ary
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:30 am
So you're station -ary
Nah, ‘ary’s me mate, I’m the Fat Controller
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

You dont strike me as one with a liverpudlian accent. :D
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:44 pm You dont strike me as one with a liverpudlian accent. :D
Wot me? I talk propper I does
cars

Post by cars »

Thought for the day:

Create your own Sunshine! :)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:05 pm Thought for the day:

- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I love that song.

Create my own sunshine? ........Wouldn't the Feds be after me once I've purchased the ingredients?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:05 pm Thought for the day:

thinking of the thought for tomorrow in relation to today...........it was yesterday so don't worry about it.

that was deep even for me :lol:
spot

Post by spot »

Besides, anyone creating their own sunshine would have a SWAT team at their door before nightfall.
cars

Post by cars »

spot wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:53 am Besides, anyone creating their own sunshine would have a SWAT team at their door before nightfall.
I keep forgetting the language difference in countries. From what I'm gathering from your comments, is sounds like your are talking about what we call "MOONSHINE here! :lol:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:25 pm
spot wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:53 am Besides, anyone creating their own sunshine would have a SWAT team at their door before nightfall.
I keep forgetting the language difference in countries. From what I'm gathering from your comments, is sounds like your are talking about what we call "MOONSHINE here! :lol:
Oops, I thought they were going to spark up their own fusion reactor :-)

Return to “General Chit Chat”