Merry Christmas or happy holidays?

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Guppers;1504026 wrote: No. Thanksgiving and Christmas are two different holidays.

gmc said holiday period. Thanksgiving begins the SHOPPING holiday! so Thanksgiving & Xmas bookend this event. Of course, then a week later comes New Year's & that's more of a drinking holiday it seems.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Except that Thanksgiving has nothing to do with Christmas.

As for Happy Holiday or Merry Christmas, what does it really matter? Both have their origins in Religion, even if you like to think of the former as being P.C. It's only a contracted variation of the words "Holy Day" which is, to all intents & purposes, what Christmas Day is.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1504049 wrote: Except that Thanksgiving has nothing to do with Christmas.

As for Happy Holiday or Merry Christmas, what does it really matter? Both have their origins in Religion, even if you like to think of the former as being P.C. It's only a contracted variation of the words "Holy Day" which is, to all intents & purposes, what Christmas Day is.

These days, though, holiday has been stretched to include all sorts of Days off.

I think over on your side of the pond they are referred to as "Bank Holidays"

We have Labor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day somebody or other's birthday, etc that are all referred to as holidays, with nothing really holy about them.

I tend to remind my Xtian friends who get all huffy about things like "Happy Holidays" that "Merry" has little to do with religious intent.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ted

Post by Ted »

All of the great faiths have instituted holy days and holy people: Jesus, Mohammad, Buddha,Vishnu, and so on. I don't have a problem with that. We must each follow our own path. Though I must say I do respond negatively to the JW and that is because they would sooner see someone even a child die rather than receive a blood transfusion as well as their bastardization of the Bible. That is how I see it. It is akin to murder before the fact.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ted;1504082 wrote: All of the great faiths have instituted holy days and holy people: Jesus, Mohammad, Buddha,Vishnu, and so on. I don't have a problem with that. We must each follow our own path. Though I must say I do respond negatively to the JW and that is because they would sooner see someone even a child die rather than receive a blood transfusion as well as their bastardization of the Bible. That is how I see it. It is akin to murder before the fact.

I've met members of a lot of religious sects and followers of all sorts of teachings.

JWs are the ones I've found to completely foreign, even alien.

Strangest bunch of people on earth (with the possible exception of Scientologists. or maybe Moonies.)
- DH Lawrence
Ted

Post by Ted »

Lars they also keep predicting the end of time. Never happened. Though that will happen in trillions of years when the sun dies. The JW s decided they need their own Bible so they hired some (not scholars) to rewrite the Bible in the way they wanted. Great trick.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1504066 wrote:

I tend to remind my Xtian friends who get all huffy about things like "Happy Holidays" that "Merry" has little to do with religious intent.

the 't' is redundant as X stands for Christ, so you actually wrote Christtian. Hey, I can be a stickler too!!!!! :wah:
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Ted;1504082 wrote:

We must each follow our own path. Though I must say I do respond negatively to the JW and that is because they would sooner see someone even a child die rather than receive a blood transfusion as well as their bastardization of the Bible.

I was brought up as a JW.......as you put it.

Just to put your understanding straight, I believe the Bible they rely on is a literal version interpreted directly from the original languages.

Considering that different Muslim and Christian branches interpret their holy books differently......JW's aren't so strange after all......just another variation on a theme.

The blood donor issue is because they reckon their interpretation of the bible bans taking blood into the body as food or transfusion, so come "Resurrection day" following Armageddon, when we will all be judged by our god whether to allow us to live eternally in paradise or not, the taking of blood in any form would ban us from that reward.

So allowing your child a transfusion would be condemning them to death, no transfusion would ensure you would be reunited in eternal life in paradise.

I spent many years as a young adult waiting for judgment day, I was told all the signs were there, the day was imminent........been waiting 50 years now.

Considering the restrictions different religions put on their adherents, no dogs for Muslims, dietary bans in many forms, pork shell fish etc.celibacy, clothing requirements.......and yet they all seem to permit the slaughter of their fellow man in the name of their god.

I would say god help us all if it were appropriate.

(How did I get drawn into a religious discussion ?)
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1504092 wrote: I was brought up as a JW.......as you put it.

Just to put your understanding straight, I believe the Bible they rely on is a literal version interpreted directly from the original languages.

Considering that different Muslim and Christian branches interpret their holy books differently......JW's aren't so strange after all......just another variation on a theme.

The blood donor issue is because they reckon their interpretation of the bible bans taking blood into the body as food or transfusion, so come "Resurrection day" following Armageddon, when we will all be judged by our god whether to allow us to live eternally in paradise or not, the taking of blood in any form would ban us from that reward.

So allowing your child a transfusion would be condemning them to death, no transfusion would ensure you would be reunited in eternal life in paradise.

I spent many years as a young adult waiting for judgment day, I was told all the signs were there, the day was imminent........been waiting 50 years now.

Considering the restrictions different religions put on their adherents, no dogs for Muslims, dietary bans in many forms, pork shell fish etc.celibacy, clothing requirements.......and yet they all seem to permit the slaughter of their fellow man in the name of their god.

I would say god help us all if it were appropriate.

(How did I get drawn into a religious discussion ?)

It happens to the best of us, eventually.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv, you grew up Jehovah's Witness? You poor dear......
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1504166 wrote: Bruv, you grew up Jehovah's Witness? You poor dear......

I recovered...........................almost completely.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
minks

Post by minks »

maybe we just ought to wish everyone a

very merry and a happy
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

minks;1504303 wrote: maybe we just ought to wish everyone a