So guys! listen up this is serious....cause there is money involved here

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I think this itinerary is the best and use these as hubs so I can dilly dally from them

ITINERARY 6 - Cathedrals, baths and Castles:

* London to Portsmouth (1hr 30min)

* to Salisbury (1hr 15min)

* to Bath (1hr)

* to Birmingham (2hr)

* to Glasgow (4hr 30min)

* to Edinburgh (1hr)

* to York (2hr 30min)

* to London (2hr).

Britrail pass

awwwhhh I don't know now.

ITINERARY 5 - Historical Britain:

* London to Bath (1hr 30min)

* to Cardiff (1hr 15min)

* to Chester (3hr 15min)

* to Manchester (1hr)

* to York (1hr 30min)

* to London (2hr).
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

A teammate of mine is traveling to Ireland for Oktoberfest, I can't imagine this won't be celebrated across the UK. Or is this usually an event riddled with loudmouth brutes and vagabonds?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1334229 wrote: A teammate of mine is traveling to Ireland for Oktoberfest, I can't imagine this won't be celebrated across the UK. Or is this usually an event riddled with loudmouth brutes and vagabonds?

Oktoberfest is Munich, surely?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1334233 wrote: Oktoberfest is Munich, surely?

Oh, you know what?, I remember the person saying "Europe" when she told me that he'd be attending Oktoberfest...I suppose you British can get a kick out of that one none the less :wah:.

I remember now he looks completely Irish and I probably assumed he were visiting Ireland. :yh_rotfl ...He looks alot like David Healy(I realize he's Northern Irish but I suppose it's enough to make my point). Might be the haircut.
spot

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;1334161 wrote: Oktoberfest, I can't imagine this won't be celebrated across the UK [...] I suppose you British can get a kick out of that one none the less :wah:.No. Seriously, no. It's a German festival, it happens in Germany, it doesn't happen in Warsaw or Madrid or London or Glasgow, it's regional, nobody outside of Germany has ever attempted to participate other than by travelling specifically to Germany in order to take part. European culture is entirely about regional cultural difference and people going to it rather than it spreading out into the whole group. We have international events which are restricted to mere towns and yet get visitors travelling across Europe to take part in them. Helston, Oberammergau, Pamplona, Bayreuth, the Calcio Storico Fiorentino, Europe's practically defined by its localised customs.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

i'm up for a meetup with you smegon and all of you fg peoples

just tell me the when and the where :sneaky::sneaky:
spot

Post by spot »

Blimey, that's just upped the stakes then. Hello playmate!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

spot;1334240 wrote: Blimey, that's just upped the stakes then. Hello playmate!

hello my friend it will be good to see you again :):)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1334237 wrote: No. Seriously, no. It's a German festival, it happens in Germany, it doesn't happen in Warsaw or Madrid or London or Glasgow, it's regional, nobody outside of Germany has ever attempted to participate other than by travelling specifically to Germany in order to take part. European culture is entirely about regional cultural difference and people going to it rather than it spreading out into the whole group. We have international events which are restricted to mere towns and yet get visitors travelling across Europe to take part in them. Helston, Oberammergau, Pamplona, Bayreuth, the Calcio Storico Fiorentino, Europe's practically defined by its localised customs.Not if America has anything to say about it! :yh_sungla
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

fuzzywuzzy;1334004 wrote: ummm I'm willing to stop in three places in the US for meet ups . from top to bottom. I'll be there anyways so why not ?

OH come on guys you don't know what travel is in my eyes. I travel 100 km's for a coffee, bout time you guys learnt about aussie'isms. It's nothing for us.

Start at the top 'cause when you come to Florida you'll be on the bottom.

:yh_whistl
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

If you are going to be in York, you should pop over to the west a bit and visit Harrogate. Stop in Knaresboro, on the way, at Mother Shipton Caves. An interesting tourist spot that has been active since the 17th Century.

Also, make a run up to Ripon for the sunset festivities.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

K.Snyder;1334008 wrote: I presume you did but did you make a good impression on the radio?
I have been on BBC radio 5 times... pokes tongue out. On one Occasion Spot listened In and that Is why i was so nervous. Sod the other few thousand listening... Spot was listening !!!!

Going on again In the next few weeks If all goes to plan. ( Pokes tongue out again).
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

LarsMac;1334289 wrote: If you are going to be in York, you should pop over to the west a bit and visit Harrogate. Stop in Knaresboro, on the way, at Mother Shipton Caves. An interesting tourist spot that has been active since the 17th Century.

Also, make a run up to Ripon for the sunset festivities. I love Harrogate and have happy family memories from Cricket tours my father and brothers did there. The Entire Cricket team would camp up In a caravan site and we had a hoot. One year Colin Cowdrey came to meet my Father there and help with some tutition for the young team. I was about 10 years old at the time and remember my Father getting quite excited at having him as a guest. Frankly, I was bored to tears and could not see what all the fuss was... I sloped off to go shopping If I remember correctly.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

fuzzywuzzy;1334200 wrote: I think this itinerary is the best and use these as hubs so I can dilly dally from them

ITINERARY 6 - Cathedrals, baths and Castles:

* London to Portsmouth (1hr 30min)

* to Salisbury (1hr 15min)

* to Bath (1hr)

* to Birmingham (2hr)

* to Glasgow (4hr 30min)

* to Edinburgh (1hr)

* to York (2hr 30min)

* to London (2hr).

Britrail pass

awwwhhh I don't know now.

ITINERARY 5 - Historical Britain:

* London to Bath (1hr 30min)

* to Cardiff (1hr 15min)

* to Chester (3hr 15min)

* to Manchester (1hr)

* to York (1hr 30min)

* to London (2hr). Will there be 'Pedestrian Activity'?

I told you yonks ago Meggie pops, you are welcome at my home any-time.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

thank's oscar.

OH god I forgot about "pedestrian activity". Don't remind me.

Shows how polite the British are really . Here we would actually say . "Sorry passengers someone has thrown themselves off or under the train .....Could all passengers disembark for another line. Thank you for your patience" ...............Where as in England. It's "Our apologies passengers, due to pedestrian activity this train will be late by aproximately 10 mintues "

How do you clear a body off the tracks in ten minutes?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Why does Harrogate ring a bell?

i'm up for a meetup with you smegon and all of you fg peoples

just tell me the when and the where

Yipppeee cool for school!!!

Start at the top 'cause when you come to Florida you'll be on the bottom.

All depends on where I go first. If I go to Britain first I'll be starting at the top. But if I go to America first it's always L.A airport first then switcharoo planes etc.. Depends on the type of ticket I get.
Oscar Namechange

fuzzywuzzy;1334326 wrote:

All depends on where I go first. If I go to Britain first I'll be starting at the top. But if I go to America first it's always L.A airport first then switcharoo planes etc.. Depends on the type of ticket I get. I must warn you that the last person to visit Galbally never came back.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

oscar;1334320 wrote: I have been on BBC radio 5 times... pokes tongue out. On one Occasion Spot listened In and that Is why i was so nervous. Sod the other few thousand listening... Spot was listening !!!!

Going on again In the next few weeks If all goes to plan. ( Pokes tongue out again).

Good, I'll listen in as well...:yh_wink :yh_kiss
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

K.Snyder;1334357 wrote: Good, I'll listen in as well...:yh_wink :yh_kiss

How can you listen K...do you get BBC radio?
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

WOW, fuzzy, that sounds like so much fun!! I've met one person I still post with and we've met up here and there over the years. Kindred spirits, gotta love it. :)
Oscar Namechange

Kathy Ellen;1334358 wrote: How can you listen K...do you get BBC radio? You can download BBC Radio articles Kathy..
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Kathy Ellen;1334358 wrote: How can you listen K...do you get BBC radio?

Well there is streams online in which I can get BBC, yes.

Sopcast and TVU will in all likelihood have BBC
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

oscar;1334366 wrote: You can download BBC Radio articles Kathy..I want to listen to it live! :yh_wink :yh_kiss

When will it be?
Oscar Namechange

K.Snyder;1334375 wrote: I want to listen to it live! :yh_wink :yh_kiss

When will it be?
Hopefully In the next few weeks. I will send you the details on Facebook as soon as I know Kev.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1334237 wrote: No. Seriously, no. It's a German festival, it happens in Germany, it doesn't happen in Warsaw or Madrid or London or Glasgow, it's regional, nobody outside of Germany has ever attempted to participate other than by travelling specifically to Germany in order to take part. European culture is entirely about regional cultural difference and people going to it rather than it spreading out into the whole group. We have international events which are restricted to mere towns and yet get visitors travelling across Europe to take part in them. Helston, Oberammergau, Pamplona, Bayreuth, the Calcio Storico Fiorentino, Europe's practically defined by its localised customs.

K.Snyder;1334254 wrote: Not if America has anything to say about it! :yh_sungla

The big problem with most of those non-German places that like to celebrate Oktoberfest is that they do it in October.
- DH Lawrence
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

LarsMac;1334396 wrote: The big problem with most of those non-German places that like to celebrate Oktoberfest is that they do it in October.

Strange that. That's when they hold the Oktoberfest too.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1334237 wrote: No. Seriously, no. It's a German festival, it happens in Germany, it doesn't happen in Warsaw or Madrid or London or Glasgow, it's regional, nobody outside of Germany has ever attempted to participate other than by travelling specifically to Germany in order to take part. European culture is entirely about regional cultural difference and people going to it rather than it spreading out into the whole group. We have international events which are restricted to mere towns and yet get visitors travelling across Europe to take part in them. Helston, Oberammergau, Pamplona, Bayreuth, the Calcio Storico Fiorentino, Europe's practically defined by its localised customs.

K.Snyder;1334254 wrote: Not if America has anything to say about it! :yh_sungla

OpenMind;1334483 wrote: Strange that. That's when they hold the Oktoberfest too.

nope,

Oktoberfest is last week of September.

It runs into the first few days of October.
- DH Lawrence
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

LarsMac;1334488 wrote: nope,

Oktoberfest is last week of September.

It runs into the first few days of October.

Just checking but it seems more like the last fortnight of September.:)
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1334096 wrote: Since I travel a lot for work, planning is difficult, but I you find yourself near where I happen to be at any given time, I would enjoy being in on a meet-up.

Most of my time these days is split between Denver, the San Francisco Bay area, and Kansas City region.

Wow. I haven't done a backpacking trip in decades. Sounds like fun.

If you make San Francisco, Los Angeles or San Diego a stop, I could probably make it, and maybe Kansas City, Baltimore or other eastern states, depending on when you'll be there.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

OpenMind;1334489 wrote: Just checking but it seems more like the last fortnight of September.:)

I am corrected.

yup.

"The Munich Oktoberfest, traditionally, takes place during the sixteen days up to and including the first Sunday in October."
- DH Lawrence
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

LarsMac;1334506 wrote: I am corrected.

yup.

"The Munich Oktoberfest, traditionally, takes place during the sixteen days up to and including the first Sunday in October."

I've never looked into it before. I've always presumed from its name that it was held in October.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

oscar;1334379 wrote: Hopefully In the next few weeks. I will send you the details on Facebook as soon as I know Kev.

Sure, thank you. :yh_wink :yh_kiss
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1334396 wrote: The big problem with most of those non-German places that like to celebrate Oktoberfest is that they do it in October.

That's because no one can drink like the Germans can! :yh_tong2
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

fuzzywuzzy;1334117 wrote: Well, having been to the mother land once before and being most proud as an Australian not to have been to Earls court ....again it wil not be Earls Court. I believe this time round it shall have to be "The rest". London I will do under sufference . Anywhere that has a train track, that way I don't have to plan to the hilt. And I can be a bit freer with my time.

I don't mind the cold. I've travelled in the cold before, stepping out into -15 degree temps in Biddeford Maine was an eye opener. And being on the top of a mountain in Switzerland is something that has to be experienced ....never again.

Best way of doing this is to tell me which cities you guys are in and taking it from there. That way I can pin point on a map and meet in those areas. Simple really:):o One place I will be going back to is York . It's a given

Just out of interest ....you know what's really funny about going around England and coming from Victoria? When they named places here that corrosponded with towns/cities in England they actually put them geographically in the same place around Melbourne. For instance Epping will be north and off to the right of London, Hastings and Seaford will be south and Hastings being on the left of Seaford......sorry I just always thought that a facinating circumstance.
I will be in York on the 10th October:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Unfortunetly I won't be over until around March . don't ask (ex issues ) But I suppose it's good in a way because I can do a lot more organising. Don't worry I'm still coming it's just postponed for a bit.

(and yes I'm pissed off):-5:-5:-5
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

fuzzywuzzy;1336492 wrote: Unfortunetly I won't be over until around March . don't ask (ex issues ) But I suppose it's good in a way because I can do a lot more organising. Don't worry I'm still coming it's just postponed for a bit.

(and yes I'm pissed off):-5:-5:-5

Humph.

Return to “Travel Vacation”