So guys! listen up this is serious....cause there is money involved here

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I'm coming to visit you . (why is it that everytime I announce something about my self there's always 'Jaws' music in my head?) I should have done this last year but anyway I umm'd and arrr'd and thought... nah, not yet.

But I have an opportunity to do it now and it will be the last time I have that for a very long time. So this is the announcement that I'm coming . Finally!! I'm hoping it's before christmas but we'll see. So as I get info you'll get info. I'm gonna back pack this trip so I can go anywhere, anytime. Bit more freedom to hop on buses/trains/planes and so forth, an I need an adventure.

So who's up for an FG meet.???????

Reason I'm doing this . Well firstly you should always have a theme for a trip. My theme this time round for going overseas is YOU GUYS. You've had to put up with my crap, humour and argumentativeness <------(is that a word?) for around four years now.

You've been loving and supportive through my trials, pissed me off sometimes, bored me, made me think out side my box (okay all you thinking about the lower regions of a womans body at this point....that's not what I meant) You've made me feel wanted and liked, made me feel I can actually have an intellectual conversation/argument with others without being slammed for the privalege. And quite frankly. Made me see how the other half of the world lives today . HIstory and sociology books don't give you that.

so who's up for a party and to let your hair down and so forth?

as I said as info comes to me I'll pass it on.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzywuzzy;1333999 wrote: I'm coming to visit you . (why is it that everytime I announce something about my self there's always 'Jaws' music in my head?) I should have done this last year but anyway I umm'd and arrr'd and thought... nah, not yet.

But I have an opportunity to do it now and it will be the last time I have that for a very long time. So this is the announcement that I'm coming . Finally!! I'm hoping it's before christmas but we'll see. So as I get info you'll get info. I'm gonna back pack this trip so I can go anywhere, anytime. Bit more freedom to hop on buses/trains/planes and so forth, an I need an adventure.

So who's up for an FG meet.???????

Reason I'm doing this . Well firstly you should always have a theme for a trip. My theme this time round for going overseas is YOU GUYS. You've had to put up with my crap, humour and argumentativeness

How lovely fuzzywuzzy but would you mind letting us know where exactly you're "coming"? :wah: UK, USA, Canada, Down the street? :wah:?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Oh sorry K .....US and Britain. If I ended up down the street you'd be worried ...mwaha ha ha ha ha ...have google maps will travel eh?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

ummm I'm willing to stop in three places in the US for meet ups . from top to bottom. I'll be there anyways so why not ?

OH come on guys you don't know what travel is in my eyes. I travel 100 km's for a coffee, bout time you guys learnt about aussie'isms. It's nothing for us.

Hey I just had a thought I'll raffle off an akubra for charity ...hey why not? the travelling Akubra!!!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzywuzzy;1334002 wrote: Oh sorry K .....US and Britain. If I ended up down the street you'd be worried ...mwaha ha ha ha ha ...have google maps will travel eh?

Well if anyone were willing to travel to Cincinnati I could show up...I would suggest Dayton but we could all end up shot. We can very well end up shot in Cincinnati just that we'd have actually the oppurtunity to see perhaps The Taft Museum first. I'd suggest a nice restraunt but the chefs have picked up and left.

All joking aside I'd go along if the distance isn't too overly time consuming.

What is your plan thus far fuzzy, will you be arriving in LA?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

OH definetly .....don't you remember JD putting me on the radio ? I'm visiting JD like my life depends on it!!!! I'm not gonna make him travel....hmmm thinking...

OH and Virginia I have to go there again.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzywuzzy;1334006 wrote: OH definetly .....don't you remember JD putting me on the radio ? I'm visiting JD like my life depends on it!!!! I'm not gonna make him travel....hmmm thinking...

OH and Virginia I have to go there again.I presume you did but did you make a good impression on the radio?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1334008 wrote: I presume you did but did you make a good impression on the radio?

I ask because if you did I could perhaps get you on The Bob & Tom show and then you'll be a regular star! :wah: :yh_wink
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

there's a recording of it somewhere on here . or JD will have it. I think it's under the title of "JD on the radidio". if it's still here ???? dunno I don't think American audiences could put up with and accent that isn't clipped you wouldn't understand me.. I left that all behind years ago ...although I could sound like what you want to hear if you wanted . but it would make kme uncomfortable and fake.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

but we digress
spot

Post by spot »

I left mine inadvertently in Banbury central library and when I went back the next year nobody could find it, so I'll bid. It matched my stockman's coat.

What you need to bear in mind, Fuzz, is that England (I assume you meant England and not the UK since the other parts are beyond primitive), England is vast. It takes eight hours to cross even on our superfast rail system. Having a specific destination list in mind and perhaps an indication of how long you might like to be here would put some meat on this leg of the trip. Australian visitors to these shores have traditionally regarded England as composed of three equal parts (Anglia est omnis divisa in partes tres), these being Earls Court and London and The Rest. Earls Court's where they keep their backs to the wall, regroup and party, London's where they travel to (public transport being adequate for getting there) and The Rest is a foreign unexplored hinterland.

This being September and Christmas being in December (well, it is here, I don't know about Down Under) your possible months are October, November or the start of December itself. October is generally regarded as the rainy season with a uniform temperature hovering around 40 Fahrenheit during the day and an expectation of frost each morning, November is guaranteed to be foggy except when there are gales but either way the temperatures drop, December is much the same except for the coating of sheet ice on the pavements (known as sheet ice on account of the exclamations heard when people slip on it).

So, first choice - Earls Court or London or The Rest?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1334004 wrote: ummm I'm willing to stop in three places in the US for meet ups . from top to bottom. I'll be there anyways so why not ?

OH come on guys you don't know what travel is in my eyes. I travel 100 km's for a coffee, bout time you guys learnt about aussie'isms. It's nothing for us.

Hey I just had a thought I'll raffle off an akubra for charity ...hey why not? the travelling Akubra!!!

Your more than welcome to come and visit me!:guitarist

I'll round up Minks and the few Canadians here!:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Since I travel a lot for work, planning is difficult, but I you find yourself near where I happen to be at any given time, I would enjoy being in on a meet-up.

Most of my time these days is split between Denver, the San Francisco Bay area, and Kansas City region.

Wow. I haven't done a backpacking trip in decades. Sounds like fun.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

fuzzywuzzy;1334004 wrote: ummm I'm willing to stop in three places in the US for meet ups . from top to bottom. I'll be there anyways so why not ?

You'll have to tell us where in England you want to go, and when you are likely to be coming to England, cos I'd love to meet up with you Fuzzy, if I can make it ! I live in Robin Hood country (Nottinghamshire), and I often travel to North Norfolk (The East Anglian 'bump' in Eastern England - north of London).

And as a matter of interest to anybody who doesn't know what an Akubra is >>>>>

Akubra - Iconic Australian Hats - History
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1334099 wrote: I live in Robin Hood country (Nottinghamshire)For which please read "Brass monkeys have been known to lose vital attributes round here".

and I often travel to North NorfolkFor which please read "Brass monkeys are urgently warned NEVER TO APPROACH within ten statute miles of North Norfolk".

Nuff said.

And as a matter of interest to anybody who doesn't know what an Akubra isIt's what you get when you put an Arbuka on wrong.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

spot;1334066 wrote: I left mine inadvertently in Banbury central library and when I went back the next year nobody could find it, so I'll bid. It matched my stockman's coat.

What you need to bear in mind, Fuzz, is that England (I assume you meant England and not the UK since the other parts are beyond primitive), England is vast. It takes eight hours to cross even on our superfast rail system. Having a specific destination list in mind and perhaps an indication of how long you might like to be here would put some meat on this leg of the trip. Australian visitors to these shores have traditionally regarded England as composed of three equal parts (Anglia est omnis divisa in partes tres), these being Earls Court and London and The Rest. Earls Court's where they keep their backs to the wall, regroup and party, London's where they travel to (public transport being adequate for getting there) and The Rest is a foreign unexplored hinterland.

This being September and Christmas being in December (well, it is here, I don't know about Down Under) your possible months are October, November or the start of December itself. October is generally regarded as the rainy season with a uniform temperature hovering around 40 Fahrenheit during the day and an expectation of frost each morning, November is guaranteed to be foggy except when there are gales but either way the temperatures drop, December is much the same except for the coating of sheet ice on the pavements (known as sheet ice on account of the exclamations heard when people slip on it).

So, first choice - Earls Court or London or The Rest?

Well, having been to the mother land once before and being most proud as an Australian not to have been to Earls court ....again it wil not be Earls Court. I believe this time round it shall have to be "The rest". London I will do under sufference . Anywhere that has a train track, that way I don't have to plan to the hilt. And I can be a bit freer with my time.

I don't mind the cold. I've travelled in the cold before, stepping out into -15 degree temps in Biddeford Maine was an eye opener. And being on the top of a mountain in Switzerland is something that has to be experienced ....never again.

Best way of doing this is to tell me which cities you guys are in and taking it from there. That way I can pin point on a map and meet in those areas. Simple really:):o One place I will be going back to is York . It's a given

Just out of interest ....you know what's really funny about going around England and coming from Victoria? When they named places here that corrosponded with towns/cities in England they actually put them geographically in the same place around Melbourne. For instance Epping will be north and off to the right of London, Hastings and Seaford will be south and Hastings being on the left of Seaford......sorry I just always thought that a facinating circumstance.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

You know where I am.:o
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

York to Leeds is an easy ride. And I have to do Bath anyone down South ?
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

fuzzywuzzy;1334135 wrote: York to Leeds is an easy ride. And I have to do Bath anyone down South ?

There's quite a host of FGers down south.:)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

hmmm these suggested itineries look pretty good ....had a Britrail pass last time, made travelling very simple .

Suggested Itineraries - British Rail, England Train Tickets
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzywuzzy;1334135 wrote: And I have to do Bath anyone down South ?Bath I can manage, I'm not sure how many other people might get there. I went there once on a boat. I took the children there once and managed to lose one, I'm not sure where but it had a marble floor and a high roof. It's not a city I'd enjoy living in, it has too much deliberate harking back to the days of patronage during the Regency. As a place for a meet it has a lot going for it.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Can you see the northern lights from Inverness?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

spot;1334142 wrote: Bath I can manage, I'm not sure how many other people might get there. I went there once on a boat. I took the children there once and managed to lose one, I'm not sure where but it had a marble floor and a high roof. It's not a city I'd enjoy living in, it has too much deliberate harking back to the days of patronage during the Regency. As a place for a meet it has a lot going for it.

yeah I was told you get a hotel in Bristol and take a ride out to Bath much cheaper that way. Although there's been quite a turn around in prices since the economic crash compared to a few years ago.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

fuzzywuzzy;1334143 wrote: Can you see the northern lights from Inverness?

They can be but it's reckoned there won't be much activity to see from there for another couple of years.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

bugger!!!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

So what's a nice seaside port down south?
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

fuzzywuzzy;1334148 wrote: So what's a nice seaside port down south?

Plymouth?
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzywuzzy;1334143 wrote: Can you see the northern lights from Inverness?It's rare to see the Northern Lights anywhere on the British mainland. I've only ever seen them once and that was outside Milton Keynes. I'd be surprised at an appearance even once a year. People fly a thousand miles north to get a likely view from an aircraft.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

OpenMind;1334150 wrote: Plymouth?

Is plymouth touristy or industrial? are there any little hamlet kind of places tucked out of the way?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

spot;1334152 wrote: It's rare to see the Northern Lights anywhere on the British mainland. I've only ever seen them once and that was outside Milton Keynes. I'd be surprised at an appearance even once a year. People fly a thousand miles north to get a likely view from an aircraft.

Hmmmph I did not know that. I thought they would be as frequent as the southern aurora
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzywuzzy;1334153 wrote: Is plymouth touristy or industrial? are there any little hamlet kind of places tucked out of the way?
I can think of no part of Plymouth that's touristy, which isn't to say that coach trips don't deposit pensioners on the Hoe during the summer months. Nowhere's touristy once October bites, tourists are a phenomenon related to the summer months. Few buildings in central Plymouth survived the German bombing raids of the forties and the entire centre was redeveloped. Plymouth is essentially where you'd go to find a naval rating down the docks of a Friday night.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

a naval rating down the docks of a Friday night. ????????
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzywuzzy;1334159 wrote: ????????I obviously don't speak from personal experience, never having served Her Majesty in that capacity. Nor, to exclude all doubt, wittingly propositioned a sailor during a night on the tiles. Every woman in the South West with whom I've discussed Plymouth has told tales though, and naval ratings on a Friday night figure prominently.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Good God!!! thank you for the heads up. I understand now
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

What exactly did you mean by port? The ruby red stuff that comes in a bottle?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I'm game - especially in the cracks between the weekend partying :-)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

OpenMind;1334162 wrote: What exactly did you mean by port? The ruby red stuff that comes in a bottle?

Oh goody I get to actually have a drop of Port .....We're not allowed to call it Port here anymore ....."fortified wine" or someone chops your head off, actually I'm not quite sure if this will happen but you never know. like a sleepy seaside hamlet? Sorry we have sleepy seaside hamlets and call them ports.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

fuzzywuzzy;1334148 wrote: So what's a nice seaside port down south?

Rye, in South Sussex, on the outskirts of Romney Marsh, is a once a year trip for me and my wife. The old town is fantastic. Hotels are a little expensive ,so we tend to find B&Bs in the villages, a couple of miles out. Last time we stayed in Winchelsea, in a 12th century guest house. The time before that, in Playden, a old village mentioned in the Doomsday book.

My suggestion would be to avoid the big coastal towns and head for the smaller ones and the villages
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Bryn Mawr;1334163 wrote: I'm game - especially in the cracks between the weekend partying :-)

Exellent!!

I have always wanted to see what you looked like.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Snowfire;1334166 wrote: Rye, in South Sussex, on the outskirts of Romney Marsh, is a once a year trip for me and my wife. The old town is fantastic. Hotels are a little expensive ,so we tend to find B&Bs in the villages, a couple of miles out. Last time we stayed in Winchelsea, in a 12th century guest house. The time before that, in Playden, a old village mentioned in the Doomsday book.

My suggestion would be to avoid the big coastal towns and head for the smaller ones and the villages

Some of the best Saxon architecture can be seen in Sussex, I believe.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

fuzzywuzzy;1334165 wrote: Oh goody I get to actually have a drop of Port .....We're not allowed to call it Port here anymore ....."fortified wine" or someone chops your head off, actually I'm not quite sure if this will happen but you never know. like a sleepy seaside hamlet? Sorry we have sleepy seaside hamlets and call them ports.

God, yes. I remember something about that from yonks ago. Port can only be made in a particular region of France, or something.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

OpenMind;1334170 wrote: Some of the best Saxon architecture can be seen in Sussex, I believe.

Certainly. Then William the Bastard popped over for a visit and built a few of his own :wah:

Rye, East Sussex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzywuzzy;1334161 wrote: thank you for the heads upBe careful, that's a naval phrase round Plymouth way

Bryn Mawr;1334163 wrote: I'm game... and so's that!
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1334169 wrote: Exellent!!

I have always wanted to see what you looked like.

Surely you're not that eager to scare the children?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

OpenMind;1334171 wrote: God, yes. I remember something about that from yonks ago. Port can only be made in a particular region of France, or something.

Portugal, actually.

the Douro Valley, to be more specific.

Port Wine: Portugal's Douro Valley & the History of Port | Into Wine
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

spot;1334174 wrote: Be careful, that's a naval phrase round Plymouth way

... and so's that!

I wouldn't be surprised if the term gangbanging derives from pressganging.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Get on the train and head south west until the end of the track, you'll find yourself in the best part of the UK, it's not that much further than Plymouth and the locals are much nicer than those Devonians! I've also witnessed the northern lights from around these parts although I can't guarantee they'll show up this year :D

Let me know the dates when you do, me making anything fully depends on what's happening at uni. I already know I am being whisked away somewhere for four days or so at the end of October so avoid that weekend please :wah:
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Bryn Mawr;1334176 wrote: Surely you're not that eager to scare the children?

I'm not bringing the children this time around just little ole' me.

Snowfire I've just been virtually exploring around sussex and I think you're right . I think I'll also buy a wee bike when I get off the plane.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

OpenMind;1334171 wrote: God, yes. I remember something about that from yonks ago. Port can only be made in a particular region of France, or something.

Yep and Champagne.......people here thought up al the things that were french named and put a boycott on them ....even 'french fries' at Macca's
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Betty Boop;1334184 wrote: Get on the train and head south west until the end of the track, you'll find yourself in the best part of the UK, it's not that much further than Plymouth and the locals are much nicer than those Devonians! I've also witnessed the northern lights from around these parts although I can't guarantee they'll show up this year :D

Let me know the dates when you do, me making anything fully depends on what's happening at uni. I already know I am being whisked away somewhere for four days or so at the end of October so avoid that weekend please :wah:

So Sussex and Bristol/Bath/Penzance, that takes care of the lower regions.

Return to “Travel Vacation”