How To Get To Heaven When You Die

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bored_Wombat

Post by Bored_Wombat »

Trouble at the Pearly Gates

:-2
Bored_Wombat

Post by Bored_Wombat »

AussiePam;1305265 wrote: I prefer Alanis.

Great movie. Kevin's best by a head and shoulders, IMNSHO.

Very Catholic, though, which is fair given the Catholicism of the writer; but it skews a general argument on how to get into heaven.

The telling question, if we are asked to accept God in order to get into heaven is "Which one?"

It turns out that even religious people are atheist with respect to every single God there has ever been, except for one. It's nearly no increase in risk going just one further, and it has the added benefit of being rational.

It might be obvious at some point that I have only read this thread two pages back. If the above points have been made already, I apologise for the dupe.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Bored_Wombat;1308036 wrote: Great movie. Kevin's best by a head and shoulders, IMNSHO.

Very Catholic, though, which is fair given the Catholicism of the writer; but it skews a general argument on how to get into heaven.

The telling question, if we are asked to accept God in order to get into heaven is "Which one?"

It turns out that even religious people are atheist with respect to every single God there has ever been, except for one. It's nearly no increase in risk going just one further, and it has the added benefit of being rational.

It might be obvious at some point that I have only read this thread two pages back. If the above points have been made already, I apologise for the dupe.

---------------------------

There are lots of threads here Bored Wombat where you can bitch to your heart's content about the moronicness / evilness / deviancy / psychopathy etc etc of all religionists.

I'd only say that some of us religionists argue there is only one God, but many different views of that one God, some very screwbally. Which ends the topic for me.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Bored_Wombat

Post by Bored_Wombat »

AussiePam;1308043 wrote: ---------------------------

There are lots of threads here Bored Wombat where you can bitch to your heart's content about the moronicness / evilness / deviancy / psychopathy etc etc of all religionists.

Gee, Pam, I'm sorry if it seemed I was "bitching".

AussiePam;1308043 wrote: I'd only say that some of us religionists argue there is only one God, but many different views of that one God, some very screwbally. Which ends the topic for me.

If you like.

But it's a difference that makes no difference in terms of how to get to heaven when you die. Either dying gloriously in battle gets you taken to Valhalla by the Valkyries, or killing people gets you excluded from heaven. Only one interpretation works, even if Freya and Yahweh are both different views of the one God.
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Bored_Wombat;1308036 wrote:

Three men arrive at the gates of heaven. St. Peter asks the first man,

"Religion?"

The first man replies, "Episcopalian."

St. Peter looks down his list and says, "go to room 24. But be very quiet

as you pass room 8."

To the second man St. Peter asks, "Religion."

The second man replies "Methodist."

St. Peter looks down his list and says, "Go to room 14. But be very quiet

as you pass room 8."

To the third man St. Peter asks. "Religion."

The third man replies, "Baptist."

St. Peter looks down his list and says. "Go to room 21. But be very quiet

as you pass room 8."

The third man then says to St. Peter, "I can understand there being

different rooms for different religions, but why must we be quiet when we

pass room 8?"

St. Peter tells him, "Well the Catholics are in room 8, and they think

they're the only ones here."

:rolleyes:
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

Bored_Wombat

Post by Bored_Wombat »

beowulf;1308095 wrote: Three men arrive at the gates of heaven. St. Peter asks the first man,

"Religion?"

The first man replies, "Episcopalian."

St. Peter looks down his list and says, "go to room 24. But be very quiet

as you pass room 8."

To the second man St. Peter asks, "Religion."

The second man replies "Methodist."

St. Peter looks down his list and says, "Go to room 14. But be very quiet

as you pass room 8."

To the third man St. Peter asks. "Religion."

The third man replies, "Baptist."

St. Peter looks down his list and says. "Go to room 21. But be very quiet

as you pass room 8."

The third man then says to St. Peter, "I can understand there being

different rooms for different religions, but why must we be quiet when we

pass room 8?"

St. Peter tells him, "Well the Catholics are in room 8, and they think

they're the only ones here."

:rolleyes:

Yeah, amusing; but "Religion" seems to be taken to mean "not very revisionist arm of Christianity, and not including any of the Orthodox arms". That's pretty narrow view in a world with the lost religions of Ancient Greece, of Ancient Egypt, of Ancient Scandinavia, plus the existent religions from Shinto to Buddhism to Cao Dai to Zoroastrian to Hindu to various Animists to Cargo Cults of the Pacific to the Orthodox Christians to modern break always such as Mormons and Bahais, and earlier branches such as Islam and Judaism.

Is the joke doesn't work if a Buddhist or Hindu shows up. They don't expect St Peter nor heaven. And are the fallen Viking raiders feasting in Valhalla in room 2?

The humour is derived from Catholics thinking they've got an overly exclusive view. I think that the same joke's on the comedian.
BTS

Post by BTS »

xfrodobagginsx;1058898 wrote: ARE YOU 100% SURE THAT IF YOU DIED TODAY THAT YOU WOULD GO TO HEAVEN?

Nopes.............R U?

What an Asinine question.............
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

I'm really suprised that the negative response here.
zengjing0813

Post by zengjing0813 »

how?every wanna know:)
[links removed]
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Please take the time to read this first post and pray that prayer at the bottom of it to God from your heart.
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

If you don't accept Christ Jesus into your heart, the bible says that you will go to hell for eternity. I know you don't really want that. Please read this first post and pray that prayer to God from your heart. Please. Please.
Bored_Wombat

Post by Bored_Wombat »

xfrodobagginsx;1324762 wrote: If you don't accept Christ Jesus into your heart, the bible says that you will go to hell for eternity.

The Torah doesn't.

The Koran doesn't.

The Guru Granth Sahib Ji doesn't

None of the vedas do.

The O'dno Jing doesn't.

What's you're fascination with the bible?

And in any case, the bible's history can be studied. The references to Jesus' divinity post-date the bulk of the text (which in turn post dates the time of the alleged life of the person. References to his return are from a third time.

So you'd have to build a very strong case against history to claim that belief in Jesus has some implications for the afterlife.

But you'd also have to be illogical about your selection of religions. You apparently don't believe every single religion except some version of Christianity. Why stop not believing in Gods when there's one left? There's no reason for this choice.

And you'd have to have a pretty unchristian view of the loving creator if you think that he sends "souls" to hell for eternity for any reason. Creating an eternal hell is not any act of love.
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Bored_Wombat;1324825 wrote: The Torah doesn't.

Yes, the Torah does. It's part of the bible.

The Koran doesn't.

The koran is wrong.

The Guru Granth Sahib Ji doesn't

The guru granth is wrong.

None of the vedas do.

The vedas is wrong.

The O'dno Jing doesn't.

The o'dno is wrong.

What's you're fascination with the bible?

The Bible is right.

And in any case, the bible's history can be studied. The references to Jesus' divinity post-date the bulk of the text (which in turn post dates the time of the alleged life of the person. References to his return are from a third time

Absolutely false.

So you'd have to build a very strong case against history to claim that belief in Jesus has some implications for the afterlife.

The history is on my side, not yours. It's easily proven that He fulfilled hundreds of prophecies in His coming, that He actually died and rose again, that He rose from the dead.

But you'd also have to be illogical about your selection of religions. You apparently don't believe every single religion except some version of Christianity. Why stop not believing in Gods when there's one left? There's no reason for this choice.

Because I know Him. Do you?

And you'd have to have a pretty unchristian view of the loving creator if you think that he sends "souls" to hell for eternity for any reason. Creating an eternal hell is not any act of love.

If Believing what the Bible actually says, the words and teachings of Christ makes me unChristian, then what does a Christian believe? What you would like is for God's truth to be the way that YOU would like it to be. If it isn't, then you won't believe. God doesn't conform to you, YOU must conform to God.

My responses are in bold.

If you want the evidence, I will be glad to ablige
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Please take the time to read this first post and pray that prayer at the bottom of it to God from your heart.
Bored_Wombat

Post by Bored_Wombat »

xfrodobagginsx;1327808 wrote: My responses are in bold.

If you want the evidence, I will be glad to ablige

I want evidence.

I'd say the most blatantly wrong response you've given is your "Absolutely false" to very well known and long accepted findings of historical analysis of the bible. You can't just discard a huge body of human knowledge based on evidence.

Jesus' claims of divinity post date the rest of the old testament. Linguistical analysis shows this. Writings from the same time as the other gospels such as the Gospel of Thomas that were not updated by the same politics make no mention of it. But that's just the circumstantial evidence. Language changes over time. When one piece of writing is not from the same century as another you can tell.

But lets start at the beginning.

Your first claim is that the Torah says that "If you don't accept Christ Jesus into your heart, you will go to hell for eternity." Now the Jewish Position is that Jesus is one of the world's worst sinners with a special hell where he drowns half the time in semen and half in faeces for the crime of claiming to be God.

I am willing to bet that you can't find the part of the Torah that says that "If you don't accept Christ Jesus into your heart, you will go to hell for eternity."

Your response that it says that because it is part of the bible does not make the point. For one thing it doesn't mention the guy. For another one of the ways that you can see that the bible was changed retrospectively to make Jesus fit the prophesies by simply adjusting the prophesies, is that many of those prophesies are still in their original form in the Torah, and the scholar can look at the two and by noticing that they're different conclude that one of them has been changed.

But enough basic grounding in reality. Where in the Torah does it say what you claim about accepting Jesus?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Hypothetically speaking let's say I'm walking down the street(Could be any street so long as we remain in the hypothetical) and at the exact moment I happen to notice someone that "coincidentally enough" happens to **** me off and I, and equally as circumstantial, pull out a 4 foot long samurai sword and slice that persons head off would it be possible for me to get to "Heaven"? If so what would I have to do in order to get to "Heaven"? Would I need to do anything at all? Perhaps time is the quintessential determining factor in repentance...If so how much time? Would I have enough time to nuke a bag of popcorn? A cat? The time it would take me to clean the cat up(And such would take a seemingly exponential amount of time relative to the cleaning solvent I'd choose to do it with)does the time it would take to choose this solvent count toward my time period of divine forgiveness or no(Just curious because this could just as easily be argued that I was merely wasting my time trying to find something to clean the cat up with, which could then in turn be confused by "God" into thinking I didn't care about the cat and I couldn't have that now could I?)?
spot

Post by spot »

xfrodobagginsx;1324762 wrote: If you don't accept Christ Jesus into your heart, the bible says that you will go to hell for eternity. I know you don't really want that. Please read this first post and pray that prayer to God from your heart. Please. Please.

Your mistake is in saying "I know you don't really want that". Heaven would be repellant for several reasons. Would you like to discuss the nature of heaven, since it seems relevant to the thread?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Let's start with why the bible is God's word. Here is my first line of evidence:

The bible was written by God through 40 men in 3 languages over a 1,500 year period. These men lived in different parts of the world, some were rich, some were poor, some were educated, some were not, most didn't know each other, nor did they necessarily have access to the other's writings and yet it fits together as if it were written by one person, because it was written by God. It has no true errors or contradictions. There are countless prophecies which have been predicted and fulfilled perfectly in scripture. Many of these prophecies were written hundreds or even thousands of years before they were fulfilled.

The Predictions that Jesus fulfilled in His coming were in the hundreds. The verse on the left is the prediction written hundreds of years before He came and the verse on the right is where it was fulfilled in Jesus Christ’s actual coming hundreds of years later as testified by the actual eyewitnesses. It is impossible that He is not Messiah, Savior of the world. The ONLY person...past, present or future...who could fulfill all these prophecies is Jesus Christ

Fulfilled Prophecy Tenakh/Hebrew

Scripture New Testament

Micah 5:2 His pre-existence John 1:1, 14

Genesis 3:15 Born of the seed of a woman Matthew 1:18

Genesis 12:3 Of the seed of Abraham Matthew 1:1-16

Genesis 12:3 All nations blessed by Abraham's seed Matthew 8:5, 10

Genesis 22:8 God would provide Himself a Lamb as an offering John 1:29

Genesis 49:10 From the tribe of Judah Matthew 1:1-3

Isaiah 9:6-7 Heir to the throne of David Matthew 1:1

Isaiah 9:6 Called "The mighty God, The everlasting Father" Matthew 1:23

Micah 5:2 Born in Bethlehem Matthew 2:1

Isaiah 7:14 Born of a virgin Matthew 1:18

Isaiah 7:14 His name called Immanuel, "God with us" Matthew 1:23

Psalm 2:7 Declared to be the Son of God Matthew 3:17

Malachi 4:5-6 His messenger before Him in spirit of Elijah Luke 1:17

Malachi 3:1 Preceded by a messenger to prepare His way Matthew 11:7-11

Isaiah 40:3 Messenger crying "Prepare ye the way of the Lord" Matthew 3:3

Deuteronomy 18:15 Would be a Prophet of the children of Israel Matthew 2:15

Hosea 11:1 Called out of Egypt Matthew 2:15

Jeremiah 31:15 Slaughter of the children Matthew2:18

Judges 13:5;Amos 2:11;Lam. 4:7 Would be a Nazarene Matthew 2:23

Isaiah 9:1-2 Brought light to Zabulon & Nephthalm, Galilee of the Gentiles Matthew 4:15

Psalm 72:10 Presented with gifts Matthew 2:1, 11

Isaiah 53:3 Rejected by His own Matthew 21:42; Mark 8:31,12:10; Luke 9:22,17:25 Psalm 118:22-23;

Isaiah 28:16He is the stone which the builders rejected which became the headstone Matthew 21:42; IPeter 2:7

Isaiah 8:14-15 A stone of stumbling to Israel I Peter 2:8

Zechariah 9:9 He entered Jerusalem as a king riding on an ass Matthew 21:5

Psalms 41:9 Betrayed by a friend John 13:21

Zechariah 11:12 Sold for 30 pieces of silver Matthew 26:15; Luke 22:5

Zechariah 11:12 The 30 pieces of silver given for the potter's field Matthew 27:9-10

Zechariah 11:13 The 30 pieces of silver thrown in the temple Matthew 27:5

Zechariah 13:7 Forsaken by His disciples Matthew 26:56

Psalm 35:11 Accused by false witnesses Matthew 26:60

Isaiah 53:7 Silent to accusations Matthew 27:14

Isaiah 35:5-6 Isaiah 29:18 Heal blind/deaf/lame/dumb; Matthew 11:5

Isaiah 61:Preached to the poor/brokenhearted/captives 1 Matthew 11:5

Micah 7:6 Came to bring a sword, not peace Matthew 10:34-35

Isaiah 53:4 He bore our sickness Matthew 8:16-17

Isaiah 50:6, 53:5 Spat upon, smitten and scourged Matthew 27:26, 30

Micah 5:1 Smitten on the cheek Matthew 27:30

Psalm 35:19 Hated without a cause Matthew 27:23

Isaiah 53:5 The sacrificial lamb John 1:29

Isaiah 42:6;Jeremiah 31:31-34Given for a covenant Romans 11:27/Galatians 3:17, 4:24/Hebrews 8:6, 8, 10; 10:16, 29; 12:24; 13:20

Isaiah 42:2-3 Would not strive or cry Mark 7:36

Isaiah 6:9-10 People would hear not and see not Matthew 13:14-15

Isaiah 29:13 People trust in traditions of men Matthew 15:9

Isaiah 29:13 People give God lip service Matthew 15:8

Isaiah 42:1 God delights in Him Matthew 3:17, 17:5

Isaiah 53:5 Wounded for our sins John 6:51

Isaiah 53:10-12 He bore the sins of many Mark 10:45

Daniel 9:26 Messiah not killed for Himself Matthew 20:28

Isaiah 55:5, 60:3,65:1; Malachi1:11;II Samuel 22:44-45; Psalm 2:7-8Gentiles flock to Him

Matthew 8:10

Isaiah 53:12 Crucified with criminals Matthew 27:35

Zechariah 12:10; His body was pierced Ps. 22:16 John 20:25, 27

Psalm 22:16 Thirsty during execution John 19:28

Psalm 69:21 Given vinegar and gall for thirst Matthew 27:34

Psalm 22:18 Soldiers gambled for his garment Matthew 27:35

Psalm 22:7-8 People mocked, "He trusted in God, let Him deliver him!" Matthew 27:43

Psalm 22:17 People sat there looking at Him Matthew 27:36

Psalm 22:1 Cried, "My God, my God why hast thou forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46

Amos 8:9 Darkness over the land Matthew 27:45

Psalm 34:20, Numbers 9:12 No bones broken John 19:33-36

Zechariah 12:10 Side pierced John 19:34

Isaiah 53:9 Buried with the rich Matthew 27:57, 60

Psalm 16:10-11; 49:15 Resurrected from the dead Mark 16:6

Psalm 110:4 Priest after the order of Melchizedek Hebrews 5:5-6; 6:20; 7:15-17

Psalm 68:18 Ascended to right hand of God Luke 24:51

Psalm 110:1 The LORD said unto Him, "Sit thou at my right hand, until I make

thine enemies thy footstool Matt 22:44; Mark 12:36;, 16:19; Luke 20:42-43;

Acts 2:34-35; Hebrews 1:13

His coming glory Malachi 3:2-3 Luke 3:17

324 Messianic Prophecies

Gen. 3:15.....He will bruise Satan's head.....Heb. 2:14, 1 Jn. 3:18

Gen. 5:24....The bodily ascension to heaven illustrated....Mk. 6:19

Gen. 9:26,27...The God of Shem will be the Son of Shem...Lu.

3:36

Gen. 12:3...As Abraham's seed,will bless all nations...Acts.

3:25,26

Gen. 12:7...The Promise made to Abraham's Seed...Gal. 3:16

Gen. 14:18...A priest after Melchizedek...Heb. 6:20

Gen. 14:18........A King also........Heb. 7:2

Gen. 14:18...The Last Supper foreshadowed...Mt. 26:26-29

Gen. 17:19.......The Seed of Isaac.......Rom. 9:7

Gen. 22:8...The Lamb of God promised...Jn. 1:29

Gen. 22:18...As Isaac's seed, will bless all nations...Gal. 3:16

Gen.26:2-5..The Seed of Isaac promised as the

Redeemer..Heb.11:18

Gen. 49:10...The time of His coming...Lu. 2:1-7; Gal. 4:4

Gen. 49:10.......The Seed of Judah.......Lu. 3:33

Gen. 49:10......Called Shiloh or One Sent......Jn. 17:3

Gen. 49:10...To come before Judah lost identity...Jn. 11:47-52

Gen. 49:10...To Him shall the obedience of the people be...Jn.

10:16

Ex. 3:13,14........The Great "I Am".......Jn. 4:26

Ex. 12:5...A Lamb without blemish...1 Pet. 1:19

Ex. 12:13...The blood of the Lamb saves from wrath...Rom. 5:8

Ex. 12:21-27...Christ is our Passover...1 Cor. 5;7

Ex. 12:46...Not a bone of the Lamb to be broken...Jn. 19:31-36

Ex. 15:2...His exaltation predicted as Yeshua...Acts 7:55,56

Ex. 15:11...His Character-Holiness...Luke 1:35; Acts 4:27

Ex. 17:6...The Spiritual Rock of Israel...1 Cor. 10;4

Ex. 33:19...His Character-Merciful...Lu. 1:72

Lev.14:11..The leper cleansed-Sign to priesthood..Lu.5:12-14;

Acts 6:7

Lev.16:15-17...Prefigures Christ's once-for-all death...Heb. 9:7-14

Lev.16:27...Suffering outside the Camp...Mt. 27:33; Heb. 13:11,

Lev.17:11...The Blood-the life of the flesh...Mt. 26;28; Mk. 10:45

Lev.17:11...It is the blood that makes atonement...1 Jn. 3:14-18

Lev.23:36-37...The Drink-offering: "If any man thirst." ..Jn.

19:31-36

Num. 9:12...Not a bone of Him broken...John 19:31-36

Num. 21:9...The serpent on a pole-Christ lifted up...Jn. 3:14-18

Num. 24:17...Time: "I shall see him, but not now."...Gal. 4:4

Deut. 18:15..."This is of a truth that prophet."...Jn. 6:14

Deut. 18:15-16..."Had ye believed Moses, ye would believe

me."...Jn. 5:45-47

Deut. 18:18...Sent by the Father to speak His word...Jn. 8:28, 29

Deut. 18:19...Whoever will not hear must bear his sin...Jn. 12:15,

Deut. 21:23...Cursed is he that hangs on a tree...Gal. 3:10-13

Ruth 4:4-9...Christ, our kinsman, has redeemed us...Eph. 1:3-7

1 Sam. 2:10...Shall be an anointed King to the Lord...Mt. 28:18;

Jn. 12:15

2 Sam. 7:12...David's Seed...Mt. 1:1

2 Sam. 7:14a...The Son of God... Lu. 1:32

2 Sam. 7:16...David's house established forever...Lu. 3:31; Rev.

22:16

2 Ki. 2:11...The bodily ascension to heaven illustrated...Lu. 24:51

1 Chr. 17:11...David's Seed...Mt. 1:1; 9:27

1 Chr. 17:12, 13a...To reign on David's throne forever...Lu. 1:32,

1 Chr. 17:13a..."I will be His Father, He...my Son."...Heb. 1:5

Job 19:23-27...The Resurrection predicted...Jn. 5:24-29

Psa. 2:1-3...The enmity of kings foreordained...Acts 4:25-28

Psa. 2:2...To own the title, Anointed (Christ)...Acts 2:36

Ps. 2:6...His Character-Holiness...Jn. 8:46; Rev. 3:7

Ps. 2:6...To own the title King...Mt. 2:2

Ps. 2:7...Declared the Beloved Son...Mt. 3;17

Psa. 2:7, 8...The Crucifixion and Resurrection intimated...Acts

13:29-33

Psa. 2:12...Life comes through faith in Him...Jn. 20:31

Psa. 8:2...The mouths of babes perfect His praise...Mt. 21:16

Psa. 8:5, 6...His humiliation and exaltation...Lu. 24:50-53; 1 Cor.

15:27

Psa. 16:10...Was not to see corruption...Acts 2:31

Psa. 16:9-11...Was to arise from the dead...Jn. 20:9

Psa. 17;15...The resurrection predicted...Lu. 24:6

Psa. 22:1...Forsaken because of sins of others...2 Cor. 5:21

Psa. 22:1...Words spoken from Calvary, "My God..." Mk.

15:34

Psa. 22:2...Darkness upon Calvary...Mt. 27:45

Psa. 22:7...They shoot out the lip and shake the head...Mt.

27:39

Psa. 22:8.."He trusted in God, let Him deliver Him"...Mt.

27:43

Psa. 22:9......Born the Saviour......Lu. 2:7

Psa. 22:14...Died of a broken (ruptured)heart...Jn. 19:34

Psa. 22:14,15...Suffered agony on Calvary...Mk. 15:34-37

Psa. 22:15........He thirsted........Jn. 19:28

Psa. 22:16...They pierced His hands and His feet....Jn.

19:34,37;20:27

Psa. 22:17,18...Stripped Him before the stares of men...Lu.

23:34,35

Psa. 22:18.....They parted His garments.....Jn. 19:23,24

Psa. 22:20,21...He committed Himself to God...Lu.23:46

Psa. 22:20,21..Satanic power bruising the Redeemer's

heel..Heb. 2:14

Psa. 22:22.....His Resurrection declared.....Jn. 20:17

Psa. 22:27...He shall be the governor of the nations...Col 1:16

Psa. 22:31......"It is finished"......Jn. 19:30

Psa. 23:1...."I am the Good Shephard"....Jn. 10:11

Psa. 24:3......His exaltation predicted......Acts 1:11; Phil. 2:9

Psa. 30:3......His resurrection predicted......Acts 2:32

Psa. 31:5..."Into thy hands I commit my spirit"...Lu. 23:46

Psa. 31:11...His acquaintances fled from Him...Mk. 14:50

Psa. 31:13...They took counsel to put Him to death...Jn. 11:53

Psa. 31:14,15..." He trusted in God, let Him deliver him"...Mt.

27:43

Psa. 34:20.....Not a bone of Him broken.....Jn 19:31-36

Psa. 35:11....False witnesses rose up against Him....Mt. 26:59

Psa. 35:19...He was hated without a cause...Jn. 15:25

Psa. 38:11.....His friends stood afar off.....Lu. 23:49

Psa. 40:2-5...The joy of His resurrection predicted...Jn. 20:20

Psa. 40:6-8....His delight-the will of the Father....Jn. 4:34

Psa. 40:9....He was to preach the Righteousness in Israel....Mt.

4:17

Psa. 40:14...Confronted by adversaries in the Garden...Jn. 18:4-6

Psa. 41:9.....Betrayed by a familiar friend.....Jn. 13:18

Psa. 45:2...Words of Grace come from His lips...Lu. 4:22

Psa. 45:6...To own the title, God or Elohim...Heb. 1:8

Psa. 45:7...A special anointing by the Holy Spirit...Mt.3:16;

Heb.1:9

Psa. 45:7,8...Called the Christ (Messiah or Anointed)...Lu. 2:11

Psa. 55:12-14...Betrayed by a friend, not an enemy...Jn. 13:18

Psa. 55:15...Unrepentant death of the Betrayer...Mt. 27:3-5; Acts

1:16-19

Psa. 68:18...To give gifts to men...Eph. 4:7-16

Psa. 68:18...Ascended into Heaven...Lu. 24:51

Psa. 69:4...Hated without a cause...Jn. 15:25

Psa. 69:8...A stranger to own brethren...Lu. 8;20,21

Psa. 69:9...Zealous for the Lord's House...Jn. 2:17

Psa. 69:14-20...Messiah's anguish of soul before crucifixion...Mt.

26:36-45

Psa. 69:20..."My soul is exceeding sorrowful."...Mt. 26:38

Psa. 69:21...Given vinegar in thirst...Mt. 27:34

Psa. 69:26...The Saviour given and smitten by God...Jn. 17:4;

18:11

Psa. 72:10,11...Great persons were to visit Him...Mt. 2:1-11

Psa. 72:16...The corn of wheat to fall into the Ground...Jn. 12:24

Psa. 72:17...His name, Yinon, will produce offspring...Jn. 1:12,13

Psa. 72:17...All nations shall be blessed by Him...Acts 2:11,12,41

Psa. 78:1.2...He would teach in parables...Mt. 13:34-35

Psa. 78:2b...To speak the Wisdom of God with authority...Mt.

7:29

Psa. 88:8...They stood afar off and watched...Lu. 23:49

Psa. 89:27...Emmanuel to be higher than earthly kings...Lu.

1:32,33

Psa. 89:35-37...David's Seed, throne, kingdom endure

forever...Lu. 1:32,33

Psa. 89:36-37...His character-Faithfulness...Rev. 1:5

Psa. 90:2...He is from everlasting (Micah 5:2)...Jn. 1:1

Psa. 91:11,12...Identified as Messianic; used to tempt Christ...Lu.

4;10,11

Psa. 97:9...His exaltation predicted...Acts 1:11;Eph. 1:20

Psa. 100:5...His character-Goodness...Mt. 19:16,17

Psa. 102:1-11...The Suffering and Reproach of Calvary...Jn.

21:16-30

Psa. 102:25-27...Messiah is the Preexistent Son...Heb. 1:10-12

Psa. 109:25...Ridiculed...Mt. 27:39

Psa. 110:1...Son of David...Mt. 22:43

Psa. 110:1...To ascend to the right-hand of the Father...Mk.16:19

Psa. 110:1...David's son called Lord...Mt. 22:44,45

Psa. 110:4...A priest after Melchizedek's order...Heb. 6:20

Psa. 112:4...His character-Compassionate, Gracious, et al... Mt.

9;36

Psa. 118:17,18...Messiah's Resurrection assured...Lu. 24:5-7;1

Cor. 15:20

Psa. 118:22,23...The rejected stone is Head of the corner...Mt.

21:42,43

Psa. 118:26a...The Blessed One presented to Israel...Mt. 21:9

Psa. 118:26b...To come while Temple standing...Mt. 21;12-15

Psa. 132:11...The Seed of David(the fruit of His Body)...Lu. 1:32

Psa. 138:1-6...The supremacy of David's Seed amazes kings... Mt.

2:2-6

Psa. 147:3,6...The earthly ministry of Christ described...Lu. 4:18

Psa. 1:23...He will send the Spirit of God... Jn. 16;7

Song. 5;16...The altogether lovely One...Jn. 1:17

Isa. 6:1...When Isaiah saw His glory... Jn. 12:40-41

Isa. 6:9-10...Parables fall on deaf ears...Mt. 13:13-15

Isa. 6:9-12...Blinded to Christ and deaf to His words...Acts. 28:23-

Isa. 7:14...To be born of a virgin...Lu. 1:35

Isa. 7:14...To be Emmanuel-God with us... Mt. 1:18-23

Isa. 8:8...Called Emmanuel...Mt. 28:20

Isa. 8:14...A stone of stumbling, a Rock of offense... 1 Pet. 2:8

Isa. 9:1,2...His ministry to begin in Galilee...Mt. 4:12-17

Isa. 9:6...A child born-Humanity...Lu. 1:31

Isa. 9:6...A Son given-Deity...Lu. 1:32; Jn. 1;14; 1 Tim. 3:16

Isa. 9:6...Declared to be the Son of God with power... Rom. 1:3,4

Isa. 9:6...The Wonderful One, Peleh...Lu. 4:22

Isa. 9:6...The Counsellor, Yaatz...Mt. 13:54

Isa. 9:6...The Mighty God, El Gibor...Mt. 11:20

Isa. 9:6...The Everlasting Father, Avi Adth...Jn. 8:58

Isa. 9:6...The Prince of Peace, Sar Shalom...Jn . 16:33

Isa. 9:7...To establish an everlasting kingdom...Lu. 1:32-33

Isa. 9:7...His Character-Just...Jn. 5:30

Isa. 9:7...No end to his Government, Throne, and Peace...Lu.

1:32-33

Isa. 11:1...Called a Nazarene-the Branch, Netzer...Mt. 2:23

Isa. 11:1...A rod out of Jesse-Son of Jesse...Lu. 3:23,32

Isa. 11:2...The anointed One by the Spirit...Mt. 3;16,17

Isa. 11:2...His Character-Wisdom, Understanding, et al....Jn. 4:4-

Isa. 11:4...His Character-Truth...Jn. 14:6

Isa. 11:10...The Gentiles seek Him...Jn. 12:18-21

Isa. 12:2...Called Jesus-Yeshua...Mt. 1:21

Isa. 25:8...The Resurrection predicted...I Cor. 15:54

Isa. 26:19...His power of Resurrection predicted...Jn. 11:43,44

Isa. 28:16...The Messiah is the precious corner stone...Acts

4:11,12

Isa. 29:13...He indicated hypocritical obedience to His Word...Mt.

15:7-9

Isa. 29:14...The wise are confounded by the Word...I Cor. 1:18-31

Isa. 32:2...A Refuge-A man shall be a hiding place...Mt. 23:37

Isa. 35:4...He will come and save you...Mt. 1:21

Isa. 35:5...To have a ministry of miracles...Mt. 11:4-6

Isa. 40:3,4...Preceded by forerunner...Jn. 1:23

Isa. 40:9..."Behold your God."...Jn. 1:36;19:14

Isa. 40:11...A shepherd-compassionatelife-giver...Jn. 10:10-18

Isa. 42:1-4...The Servant-as a faithful, patient redeemer...

Mt.12:18-21

Isa. 42:2...Meek and lowly... Mt. 11:28-30

Isa. 42:3...He brings hope for the hopeless... Jn. 4

Isa. 42:4...The nations shall wait on His teachings... Jn. 12:20-26

Isa. 42:6...The Light (salvation) of the Gentiles...Lu. 2:32

Isa. 42:1,6...His is a Worldwide compassion... Mt. 28:19,20

Isa. 42:7...Blind eyes opened... Jn. 9:25-38

Isa. 43:11...He is the only Saviour... Acts. 4:12

Isa. 44:3...He will send the Spirit of God... Jn. 16:7,13

Isa. 45:23...He will be the Judge... Jn. 5:22;Rom. 14:11

Isa. 48:12...The First and the Last...Jn. 1:30;Rev. 1:8,17

Isa. 48:17...He came as a Teacher...Jn. 3:2

Isa. 49:1...Called from the womb-His humanity...Mt. 1:18

Isa. 49:5...A Servant from the womb...Lu. 1:31;Phil. 2:7

Isa. 49:6...He is Salvation for Israel...Lu. 2:29-32

Isa. 49:6...He is the Light of the Gentiles...Acts 13:47

Isa. 49:6...He is Salvation unto the ends of the earth... Acts 15:7-

Isa. 49:7...He is despised of the Nation... Jn. 8:48-49

Isa. 50:3...Heaven is clothed in black at His humiliation... Lu.

23:44,45

Isa. 50:4...He is a learned counsellor for the weary... Mt. 11:28,29

Isa. 50:5...The Servant bound willingly to obedience... Mt. 26:39

Isa. 50:6a..."I gave my back to the smiters."... Mt. 27:26

Isa. 50:6b...He was smitten on the cheeks... Mt. 26:67

Isa. 50:6c...He was spat upon... Mt. 27:30

Isa. 52:7...To publish good tidings of peace... Lu. 4:14,15

Isa. 52:13...The Servant exalted...Acts 1:8-11; Eph. 1:19-22

Isa. 52:13...Behold, My Servant... Mt. 17:5; Phil. 2:5-8

Isa. 52:14...The Servant shockingly abused... Lu. 18:31-34; Mt.

26:67,68

Isa. 52:15...Nations startled by message of the Servant... Rom.

15:18-21

Isa. 52:15...His blood shed to make atonement for all... Rev. 1:5

Isa. 53:1...His people would not believe Him... Jn. 12:37-38

Isa. 53:2a...He would grow up in a poor family.... Lu. 2:7

Isa. 53:2b...Appearance of an ordinary man... Phil. 2:7-8

Isa. 53:3a...Despised.... Lu. 4:28-29

Isa. 53:3b...Rejected... Mt. 27:21-23

Isa. 53:3c...Great sorrow and grief... Lu. 19:41-42

Isa. 53:3d...Men hide from being associated with Him... Mk.

14:50-52

Isa. 53:4a...He would have a healing ministry... Lu. 6:17-19

Isa. 53:4b...He would bear the sins of the world... 1 Pet. 2:24

Isa. 53:4c...Thought to be cursed by God... Mt. 27:41-43

Isa. 53:5a...Bears penalty for mankind's transgressions... Lu. 23:33

Isa. 53:5b...His sacrifice would provide peace between man and

God... Col. 1:20

Isa. 53:5c...His back would be whipped... Mt. 27:26

Isa. 53:6a...He would be the sin-bearer for all mankind...Gal. 1:4

Isa. 53:6b...God's will that He bear sin for all mankind... 1 Jn.

4:10

Isa. 53:7a...Oppressed and afflicted... Mt. 27:27-31

Isa. 53:7b...Silent before his accusers... Mt. 27:12-14

Isa. 53:7c...Sacrificial lamb... Jn. 1:29

Isa. 53:8a...Confined and persecuted... Mt. 26:47-27:31

Isa. 53:8b...He would be judged... Jn. 18:13-22

Isa. 53:8c...Killed.... Mt. 27:35

Isa. 53:8d...Dies for the sins of the world... 1 Jn. 2:2

Isa. 53:9a...Buried in a rich man's grave... Mt. 27:57

Isa. 53:9b...Innocent and had done no violence... Mk. 15:3

Isa. 53:9c...No deceit in his mouth... Jn. 18:38

Isa. 53:10a...God's will that He die for mankind... Jn. 18:11

Isa. 53:10b...An offering for sin... Mt. 20:28

Isa. 53:10c...Resurrected and live forever.... Mk. 16:16

Isa. 53:10d...He would prosper... Jn. 17:1-5

Isa. 53:11a...God fully satisfied with His suffering... Jn. 12:27

Isa. 53:11b...God's servant... Rom. 5:18-19

Isa. 53:11c...He would justify man before God... Rom. 5:8-9

Isa. 53:11d...The sin-bearer for all mankind... Heb. 9:28

Isa. 53:12a...Exalted by God because of his sacrifice... Mt. 28:18

Isa. 53:12b...He would give up his life to save mankind... Lu.

23:46

Isa. 53:12c...Grouped with criminals... Lu. 23:32

Isa. 53:12d...Sin-bearer for all mankind... 2 Cor. 5:21

Isa. 53:12e...Intercede to God in behalf of mankind... Lu. 23:34

Isa. 55:3...Resurrected by God... Acts 13:34

Isa. 55:4...A witness... Jn. 18:37

Isa. 59:15-16a...He would come to provide salvation... Jn. 6:40

Isa. 59:15-16b...Intercessor between man and God... Mt. 10:32

Isa. 59:20...He would come to Zion as their Redeemer... Lu. 2:38

Isa. 61:1-2a...The Spirit of God upon him... Mt. 3:16-17

Isa. 61:1-2b...The Messiah would preach the good news... Lu.

4:17-21

Isa. 61:1-2c...Provide freedom from the bondage of sin and

death... Jn. 8:31-32

Isa. 61:1-2...Proclaim a period of grace... Jn. 5:24

Jer.23:5-6a...Descendant of David...Lu. 3:23-31

Jer. 23:5-6b...The Messiah would be God... Jn. 13:13

Jer. 23:5-6c...The Messiah would be both God and Man... 1 Tim.

3:16

Jer. 31:22...Born of a virgin... Mt. 1:18-20

Jer. 31:31...The Messiah would be the new covenant... Mt. 26:28

Jer. 33:14-15...Descendant of David... Lu. 3:23-31

Eze.17:22-24...Descendant of David... Lk. 3:23-31

Eze.34:23-24...Descendant of David... Mt. 1:1

Dan. 7:13-14a...He would ascend into heaven... Acts 1:9-11

Dan. 7:13-14b...Highly exalted... Eph. 1:20-22

Dan. 7:13-14c...His dominion would be everlasting... Lu. 1:31-33

Dan. 9:24a...To make an end to sins... Gal. 1:3-5

Dan. 9:24b...He would be holy... Lu. 1:35

Dan. 9:25...Announced to his people 483 years, to the exact day,

after the decree to rebuild the city of Jerusalem... Jn. 12:12-13

Dan. 9:26a...Killed... Mt. 27:35

Dan. 9:26b...Die for the sins of the world... Heb. 2:9

Dan. 9:26c...Killed before the destruction of the temple... Mt.

27:50-51

Dan. 10:5-6...Messiah in a glorified state... Rev. 1:13-16

Hos. 13:14...He would defeat death... 1 Cor. 15:55-57

Joel 2:32...Offer salvation to all mankind... Rom. 10:12-13

Mic. 5:2a...Born in Bethlehem... Mt. 2:1-2

Mic. 5:2b...God's servant... Jn. 15:10

Mic. 5:2c...From everlasting... Jn. 8:58

Hag. 2:6-9...He would visit the second Temple... Lu. 2:27-32

Hag. 2:23...Descendant of Zerubbabel... Lu. 3:23-27

Zech. 3:8...God's servant... Jn. 17:4

Zech. 6:12-13...Priest and King... Heb. 8:1

Zech. 9:9a...Greeted with rejoicing in Jerusalem... Mt. 21:8-10

Zech. 9:9b...Beheld as King... Jn. 12:12-13

Zech. 9:9c...The Messiah would be just... Jn. 5:30

Zech. 9:9d...The Messiah would bring salvation... Luke 19:10

Zech. 9:9e...The Messiah would be humble... Mt. 11:29

Zech. 9:9f...Presented to Jerusalem riding on a donkey... Mt. 21:6-

Zech. 10:4...The cornerstone... Eph. 2:20

Zech. 11:4-6a...At His coming, Israel to have unfit leaders... Mt.

23:1-4

Zech. 11:4-6b...Rejection causes God to remove His protection..

Lu. 19:41-44

Zech. 11:4-6c...Rejected in favor of another king... Jn. 19:13-15

Zech. 11:7...Ministry to "poor," the believing remnant... Mt. 9:35-

Zech. 11:8a...Unbelief forces Messiah to reject them... Mt. 23:33

Zech. 11:8b...Despised... Mt. 27:20

Zech. 11:9...Stops ministering to the those who rejected Him...

Mt. 13:10-11

Zech. 11:10-11a...Rejection causes God to remove protection...

Lu. 19:41-44

Zech. 11:10-11b...The Messiah would be God... Jn. 14:7

Zech. 11:12-13a...Betrayed for thirty pieces of silver... Mt. 26:14-

Zech. 11:12-13b...Rejected... Mt. 26:14-15

Zech. 11:12-13c...Thirty pieces of silver thrown into the house of

the Lord... Mt. 27:3-5

Zech. 11:12-13d...The Messiah would be God... Jn. 12:45

Zech. 12:10a...The Messiah's body would be pierced... Jn. 19:34-

Zech. 12:10b...The Messiah would be both God and man... Jn.

10:30

Zech. 12:10c...The Messiah would be rejected... Jn. 1:11

Zech. 13:7a...God's will He die for mankind... Jn. 18:11

Zech. 13:7b...A violent death... Mt. 27:35

Zech. 13:7c...Both God and man.. Jn. 14:9

Zech. 13:7d...Israel scattered as a result of rejecting Him... Mt.

26:31-56

Mal. 3:1a...Messenger to prepare the way for Messiah... Mt. 11:10

Mal. 3:1b...Sudden appearance at the temple... Mk. 11:15-16

Mal. 3:1c...Messenger of the new covenant... Lu. 4:43

Mal. 4:5...Forerunner in the spirit of Elijah... Mt. 3:1-2

Mal. 4:6...Forerunner would turn many to righteousness... Lu.1:16-17
Tan

Post by Tan »

Chezzie;1058906 wrote: what she said:D

Yeah! What she said
Tan
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

My point is that the evidence is overwhelming. How could all of those prophecies have been planned? They couldn't have. There is no way that the bible isn't God's word and that Jesus isn't God.
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

binbag

Post by binbag »

xfrodobagginsx;1312765 wrote: I'm really suprised that the negative response here. xfrodobagginsx, forgive me, but the negative response’ you have received to your post is due to the manner in which you approached your subject.

You will never attract people to your cause with an opening shot like yours.

It’s one of the worst ways you could possibly have approached your subject.

Nobody wants to read, what is widely thought of as a, holier than thou Christian telling them they “are a sinners and in need of a Saviour” etc.

It turns people off immediately. Even “Christians” cringe when they come across an approach such as yours.

You obviously feel bound to evangelise and spread the Word but, if you wish to attract people to your particular beliefs, do change your thinking and manner of approach in your attempt to attract people to God, Jesus, and the Bible.

Otherwise you’d be as well talking to a brick wall.

Regards, and best wishes.

bb
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

ooohhh ooohh can I play the spamming crazy gospel things game too. Please Please

Santa Clause said to the almighty smurfs "you all shall fallow me unto the promised land of candy canes and lollipops where we shall revel in pure bliss in pool of infinite candy-coated, gum-dropped, honey-dipped goodness"

The Easter Bunny looked on to the leprechaun and said "and let there be lucky charms for all who have fallowed the fabled ways of the ewoks"

Though all was lost when the great Flying Spaghetti Monster got drunk and tripped over mars and fell on the earth. Then he ate it mistaking the flattened planet for a blueberry pancake; and all were sent to eternal damnation to digest in the great Flying Spaghetti Monster's digestive system for all eternity or at least until he went to the doctor to figure out why he was so constipated.
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage. So sayeth the wise Alaundo
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

binbag;1337627 wrote: xfrodobagginsx, forgive me, but the negative response’ you have received to your post is due to the manner in which you approached your subject.

You will never attract people to your cause with an opening shot like yours.

It’s one of the worst ways you could possibly have approached your subject.

Nobody wants to read, what is widely thought of as a, holier than thou Christian telling them they “are a sinners and in need of a Saviour” etc.

It turns people off immediately. Even “Christians” cringe when they come across an approach such as yours.

You obviously feel bound to evangelise and spread the Word but, if you wish to attract people to your particular beliefs, do change your thinking and manner of approach in your attempt to attract people to God, Jesus, and the Bible.

Otherwise you’d be as well talking to a brick wall.

Regards, and best wishes.

bb

What good is telling them about my faith going to do if I can't tell them the truth? I have to proclaim the truth. If they reject it, their blood is on their own hands, not mine.
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

xfrodobagginsx;1338575 wrote: What good is telling them about my faith going to do if I can't tell them the truth? I have to proclaim the truth. If they reject it, their blood is on their own hands, not mine.

So the truth you proclaim is what? If what you, the New Testament, the Qur'an, or the Old Testament proclaim is the truth is not the truth to me and I reject it then I am not rejecting the truth, because to me some of what is proclaimed is not the truth. So what ever blood will be on my hands or someone else who does not accept what is proclaimed as truth because they see falsehoods in it as well is not there, as we essentially did not reject the truth.
binbag

Post by binbag »

xfrodobagginsx;1338575 wrote: What good is telling them about my faith going to do if I can't tell them the truth? I have to proclaim the truth. If they reject it, their blood is on their own hands, not mine.
xfrodobagginsx;1338575, go over the replies you have received regarding your post and count the number of members who replied with a positive answer. I don’t know myself, I haven’t counted.

The members will not want to read this, nevertheless, think seriously on this…..

Has any member rejected the Word of God, which you revealed to them?

Was your approach, the correct approach, could you have opened your “proclamations” in a different manner?

Could the blood of these members not be on their hands but on your hands because they were not ready to accept and receive the Word of God which you revealed to them?

Something for you to pray about.

bb

[/FONT]
recovering conservative

Post by recovering conservative »

binbag;1338945 wrote: xfrodobagginsx;1338575, go over the replies you have received regarding your post and count the number of members who replied with a positive answer. I don’t know myself, I haven’t counted.

The members will not want to read this, nevertheless, think seriously on this…..

Has any member rejected the Word of God, which you revealed to them?

Was your approach, the correct approach, could you have opened your “proclamations” in a different manner?

Could the blood of these members not be on their hands but on your hands because they were not ready to accept and receive the Word of God which you revealed to them?

Something for you to pray about.

bb

I know this was written with the best of intentions, but all that last line does is give the evangelist the same level of neurotic self-doubt as the person being witnessed to. The person being witnessed to, is given a message that may not make logical sense, but plays on his fears and self-doubt -- and now the evangelist has to worry about divine wrath also, because he may not have witnessed appropriately.

My question for Christians, playing on the OP title is: 'would you do anything different if you became convinced that there is no such thing as a mind or soul that lives on after the body dies?' There are many who say that without a heavenly reward, there is nothing to live for -- but is that really true? All the attention on an imaginary afterlife degrades this life, and motivates some people to do things that make them miserable just because they think it will let them cheat death. If your religion has real value, it will be important to you even if it doesn't have the big carrot -- immortality, to buy your allegiance.
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

recovering conservative;1339021 wrote: I know this was written with the best of intentions, but all that last line does is give the evangelist the same level of neurotic self-doubt as the person being witnessed to. The person being witnessed to, is given a message that may not make logical sense, but plays on his fears and self-doubt -- and now the evangelist has to worry about divine wrath also, because he may not have witnessed appropriately.

My question for Christians, playing on the OP title is: 'would you do anything different if you became convinced that there is no such thing as a mind or soul that lives on after the body dies?' There are many who say that without a heavenly reward, there is nothing to live for -- but is that really true? All the attention on an imaginary afterlife degrades this life, and motivates some people to do things that make them miserable just because they think it will let them cheat death. If your religion has real value, it will be important to you even if it doesn't have the big carrot -- immortality, to buy your allegiance.

I am interested in to how many of these types of post are really made with the best of intention or are made just to bicker with those who don't accept certain beliefs in some strange attempt to try to convince those people otherwise.
binbag

Post by binbag »

recovering conservative;1339021 wrote: I know this was written with the best of intentions, but all that last line does is give the evangelist the same level of neurotic self-doubt as the person being witnessed to.Not so recovering conservative.

A Christian who is strong in faith has no worries let alone “neurotic self-doubt”, particularly, one who has decided to become a witness for their faith.

He/she may wonder if they have put their point across in the correct manner however, that’s a completely different issue and they know what action to take if that is the case.

recovering conservative;1339021 wrote: The person being witnessed to, is given a message that may not make logical sense, but plays on his fears and self-doubt.Never ever, should a "witness" play on someone's fear or self doubt. A person being witnessed to, must never be overcome by fear or self doubt.

recovering conservative;1339021 wrote: My question for Christians, playing on the

OP title is: 'would you do anything different if you became convinced that there is no such thing as a mind or soul that lives on after the body dies?' I’ve said before in the Garden, even if it turned out to be (and it won’t) a load of baloney I wouldn’t change a single thing.

recovering conservative;1339021 wrote: There are many who say that without a heavenly reward, there is nothing to live for -- but is that really true? Who are the many who say such a thing? I have never anything like it.

recovering conservative;1339021 wrote: All the attention on an imaginary afterlife degrades this life, and motivates some people to do things that make them miserable just because they think it will let them cheat death. I don’t know (or even heard of) a Christian adopting such thinking. A miserable Christian is not a true Christian. However, a Christian may suffer from depression, sever even, but not "miserable" in the context you describe.

recovering conservative;1339021 wrote: If your religion has real value, it will be important to you even if it doesn't have the big carrot -- immortality, to buy your allegiance.You can't buy immortality, you can't buy allegiance.

[/FONT]
binbag

Post by binbag »

littleCJelkton;1339086 wrote: I am interested in to how many of these types of post are really made with the best of intention or are made just to bicker with those who don't accept certain beliefs in some strange attempt to try to convince those people otherwise.You know littleCJelkton, that is true. After a few reads the game's up.

Some of those you describe, you pander to; others, you let go on their merry way. :wah:

Either way, it's jolly good fun just the same.

Am I evil or what? :sneaky:

I've a feeling I might just be heading for the downward ladder now. :D

[/FONT]
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

binbag;1339270 wrote: You know littleCJelkton, that is true. After a few reads the game's up.

Some of those you describe, you pander to; others, you let go on their merry way. :wah:

Either way, it's jolly good fun just the same.

Am I evil or what? :sneaky:

I've a feeling I might just be heading for the downward ladder now. :D

I wish the game would be up but as long as things are left beyond our comprehension and as long as there are those who say logic, reason, and science prevail,vs faith, love, religion and vice versa. Then the Game will continue. So I guess what we have come to do; is choose our teams, pick our strategy, and go out there and play.
recovering conservative

littleCJelkton;1339086 wrote: I am interested in to how many of these types of post are really made with the best of intention or are made just to bicker with those who don't accept certain beliefs in some strange attempt to try to convince those people otherwise.

Part of my youth was spent in the most evangelical of all religious sects -- Jehovah's Witnesses -- everybody has to go out knocking on doors and trying to convert people to their religion at least once a week, to be a member in good standing. Some just go through the motions (I certainly did as a young teenager); but many believe that they are trying to save people before Armageddon strikes.....which was supposed to be sometime after 1975.....and I guess that's why they won't set dates for the end times anymore!
recovering conservative

binbag;1339269 wrote: Not so recovering conservative.

A Christian who is strong in faith has no worries let alone “neurotic self-doubt”, particularly, one who has decided to become a witness for their faith.

He/she may wonder if they have put their point across in the correct manner however, that’s a completely different issue and they know what action to take if that is the case.
I think there would be some anxiety if the evangelist is worried about whether they are losing souls because they are not presenting the message to the best of their abilities.

Never ever, should a "witness" play on someone's fear or self doubt. A person being witnessed to, must never be overcome by fear or self doubt.

There is no way of avoiding the issue of emotional blackmail if accepting and being born again means the difference between eternity in heaven, or eternity in hell. It can't be purely rational, deliberative decision. And a lot of people who become disillusioned with religions that preach exclusive salvation, say they are still troubled by the message that leaving the church condemns them to hell for many years after they have left a church.

I’ve said before in the Garden, even if it turned out to be (and it won’t) a load of baloney I wouldn’t change a single thing.

That's good! Because if a religion or any belief system has real merit, following it shouldn't depend on the promise of great rewards.

Who are the many who say such a thing? I have never anything like it.

It usually comes in the questions and comments directed at atheist and agnostics, that we have nothing to live for because we don't believe in life after death.

I don’t know (or even heard of) a Christian adopting such thinking. A miserable Christian is not a true Christian. However, a Christian may suffer from depression, sever even, but not "miserable" in the context you describe.
Well, think of it in the context of the slave, who has nothing to live for in this life, but hopes for a better world after his life of misery on earth has ended; or the at least one billion people in the world who are suffering from sickness and malnutrition, and don't really have hopeful prospects in this life -- there are strong reasons why religious devotion and adherence is stronger in places where grinding poverty takes the fun out of life; and why, conversely, religious adherence starts to wane in modern, comfortable societies like in Scandinavia -- where most people can look forward to living long, healthy lives.
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

recovering conservative;1339320 wrote: Part of my youth was spent in the most evangelical of all religious sects -- Jehovah's Witnesses -- everybody has to go out knocking on doors and trying to convert people to their religion at least once a week, to be a member in good standing. Some just go through the motions (I certainly did as a young teenager); but many believe that they are trying to save people before Armageddon strikes.....which was supposed to be sometime after 1975.....and I guess that's why they won't set dates for the end times anymore!

First of all, JW is a cult. It's not a true Christian religion. I don't tell people about Jesus to save my soul. I do it because I want to see Jesus save yours. The bible clearly says not to set dates, so 1975 is not following the bible. Being saved has absolutely nothing to do with doing good deeds. That's a lie that JW teaches. It has EVERYTHING to do with accepting Jesus Christ into your heart as your Lord and Savior and what He did on the cross to pay for your sins. Salvation is a free gift. All you have to do is tell Jesus Christ that you accept it.
recovering conservative

xfrodobagginsx;1339632 wrote: First of all, JW is a cult. It's not a true Christian religion.
By the standard definitions, many, if not most religions begin as cults, including early 1st century Christianity!

I don't tell people about Jesus to save my soul. I do it because I want to see Jesus save yours. The bible clearly says not to set dates, so 1975 is not following the bible.
I don't know what they're telling their people now; I recall that even back in the leadup to the fall of 75, the Watchtower society was publishing articles trying to back off from teaching that the end was coming. Nevertheless, it caused a huge shakeout in the religion in the immediate years afterward. They lost a quarter to a third of their numbers, and the leadership in N.Y. had a shake up as well. From what I've heard since, they won't set dates for the end of the world anymore. That wasn't the first time they declared that the New Order was coming; past dates included 1914 and 1933; but for decades they have taught that 1914 was the beginning of the last generation -- so as people who came of age in 1914 die off, they will eventually have to reinterpret Jesus's start of his Kingdom on Earth, or com out with something totally different entirely.

I don't know if they will survive -- I don't get many JW's at my door; either they're not as active or my address is on some sort of blacklist -- but wrong end time predictions don't usually end these religions. They rationalize their failures and come up with new dates. A Pentacostal end time preacher you may be familiar with is Hal Lindsey (Late Great Planet Earth). Thirty years ago, Lindsey wrote another book predicting that 1988 would start the beginning of the end because it was 40 years (a generation) after the forming of the modern state of Israel. Well, that prediction certainly went stale, but did Hal Lindsey disappear? Not that I've noticed! He's still writing new books, with new interpretations of prophecy, and still a regular on the evangelical TV shows.

But we shouldn't judge them too harshly because the first wrong end time predictions were made right in the New Testament verses that predicted their generation was the last.

Being saved has absolutely nothing to do with doing good deeds. That's a lie that JW teaches. It has EVERYTHING to do with accepting Jesus Christ into your heart as your Lord and Savior and what He did on the cross to pay for your sins. Salvation is a free gift. All you have to do is tell Jesus Christ that you accept it.

I don't get into this thread too often, but the reason I wanted to comment was because there are different Christian doctrines that do not all agree about how to achieve salvation. There are some Bible verses that gave Christians prior to Martin Luther the understanding that faith alone was not enough. You may not find their reasons compelling, but that doesn't mean they don't have their own verses they claim supports their interpretation that salvation is a process, rather than an event, and for taking the message: "faith without works is dead!" literally.
binbag

Post by binbag »

xfrodobagginsx wrote: The bible clearly says not to set dates,Well xfrodobagginsx, I certainly go along with you on that one. :)

For a Christian, if it doesn't come from the Bible, it ain't the Truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For a Christian, if it does come from the Bible, it sure is the Truth.

A rather timely reminder recovering conservative, I want to thank for it.

recovering conservative;1339782 wrote:

I don't get into this thread too often, but the reason I wanted to comment was because there are different Christian doctrines that do not all agree about how to achieve salvation. There are some Bible verses that gave Christians prior to Martin Luther the understanding that faith alone was not enough. You may not find their reasons compelling, but that doesn't mean they don't have their own verses they claim supports their interpretation that salvation is a process, rather than an event, and for taking the message: "faith without works is dead!" literally.James 2:14-26 (New International Version)

Faith and Deeds

What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.

If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?

In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?

Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?

You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.

And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness, and he was called God's friend.

You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction?

As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

[/FONT]
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

xfrodobagginsx;1345778 wrote: Please take the time to read this first post and pray that prayer at the bottom of it to God from your heart.

xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

What more can I say?
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

xfrodobagginsx;1347253 wrote: What more can I say?

hopefully Nothing.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

:wah::wah:
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

xfrodobagginsx;1058898 wrote: Now that you are on your way to heaven, you should attend a bible believing church* and follow in baptism.

* All applicants must pay at minimum an additional 10% income tax or be subject to penalties. Offer void where prohibited.
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Ac 8:18 And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money,

saying, "Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit."

But Peter said to him, "Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money!

"You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God.

"Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.
spot

Post by spot »

Your heart is not right in the sight of God, Frodo. Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

spot;1351105 wrote: Your heart is not right in the sight of God, Frodo. Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.

I'm doing what the bible says to do, therefore, my heart is right with God, eventhough I am not perfect and do make mistakes. How about you? Are you following God's word, the bible? I posted that verse to demonstrate that money doesn't get you to heaven. It's your faith in Christ for salvation and accepting Him into your life as your Lord and Savior. This is a very serious matter. Please take it seriously.

Return to “General Chit Chat”