The Presidential Election of 2024

Discuss the latest political news.
LarsMac

Re: The Presidential Election of 2024

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:13 pm
LarsMac wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:10 pm
spot wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:27 am
LarsMac wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:06 am Ron Desantis is the current governor of Florida, and is probably the most realistic choice on that list from the Rethuglican side.
A sad thought, really since he is basically Donald Trump without all the political baggage from Jan 6 2021.
I'm straining my power of recall but wasn't the Governor of Florida a chap called Crist or Christ? And wasn't his personal life rather more baggage than most politicians could survive, with unacknowledged descendants strewing the more obscure Floridian byways?

I was on the Governor of Florida's mailing list for a while but my memory is not all it was.
Oh, yes, Charlie Crist.
I was long out of the sate by then, but, Charlie Crist got elected to the seat and spent much of his time as Governor trying to get elected to the US Senate. The State Republicans summarily dumped him and moved on with Rick Scott, a delightfully Cadaverous fellow.
I never quite know when my mind is inventing things from scratch, but I have it that he - Governor Crist - was or became a used car salesman. Or he had a concession to sell cars. I find it difficult to believe despite it being me that's telling it.
No, he's been pretty much a career politician. Not that there is a lot of difference between one or the other. I guess he is thinking of running for DeDantis' job this year. He was a Republican last time he held the Governor's seat. Now he's going to try as a Dem.
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:06 pm
spot wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:13 pm I never quite know when my mind is inventing things from scratch, but I have it that he - Governor Crist - was or became a used car salesman. Or he had a concession to sell cars. I find it difficult to believe despite it being me that's telling it.
No, he's been pretty much a career politician. Not that there is a lot of difference between one or the other. I guess he is thinking of running for DeDantis' job this year. He was a Republican last time he held the Governor's seat. Now he's going to try as a Dem.
Okay, I tracked it down by searching "which politician owns a florida car dealership"
Three car dealerships owned by U.S. Rep. Vern Buchanan received as much as $7 million from a federal program intended to help small businesses keep people on their payroll during the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politi ... virus-aid/
So, Not Mr Crist. I mentioned Vern once five years back at viewtopic.php?f=36&t=64760&p=1506582&hi ... n#p1506582 which is why he was at the back of my mind.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Kind of on the same note, A friend in Florida sent me this, today:

Florida Falls From First Place for Government Corruption
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, the Primary election for this year's "Mid-term elections" went fairly smoothly.
This article is relevant for the fact that our state Republicans seems to have sloughed off the "Trumper wannabes" if only because the Dems appear to have thrown a lot of weight behind them.

Dem meddling in GOP primaries backfires; moderates win in key races I love the sub-title" Even Nancy Pelosi couldn't get a right-wing extremist nominated"

There is the one rep I would like to see being sent back home, that seems to have carried her district, though.
While the major state races went to more mainstream Republican candidates, some areas of Colorado stubbornly remained in the World of Trump. In the Third Congressional District, gun-slinging Rep. Lauren Boebert, who has been accused of conducting “reconnaissance tours” of the U.S. Capitol the day before the Jan. 6 riot, trounced state Sen. Don Coram, a moderate Republican highly respected by Capitol colleagues on both sides of the aisle, by a margin of two-to-one. A New York Times breakdown of county results in that district shows Coram eked out wins in only seven of the 27 counties, and failed to carry his home Montrose County.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
spot

Post by spot »

I didn't know Dems were registering as Reps in such large numbers, to throw the selection process.

I'm not particularly impressed with this take-it-or-leave-it two-party system. It's very like a one-party system, if neither party is remotely acceptable.

As for Governor DeSantis, I note this from Sunday's Guardian...
Seemingly aware of his growing political vulnerability, Trump is reportedly considering announcing another run for the White House sooner than expected. He has teased the prospect at recent rallies and, according to the New York Times, told advisers that he might declare his candidacy on social media without warning even his own team.

Such a move could have the added impetus of heading off a new star rising in the Republican firmament. Ron DeSantis, the pugnacious governor of Florida, is widely seen as his heir apparent and biggest rival for the Republican presidential nomination in two years’ time. At 43, DeSantis is more than three decades younger and is free of Trump’s January 6 toxicity.

Speaking from Tallahassee, longtime Republican strategist Rick Wilson of Florida said: “I’ve picked up the same rumors that everybody else is hearing that Ron DeSantis’s people are practically picking out curtains in the White House after Tuesday.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -candidate
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:09 am I didn't know Dems were registering as Reps in such large numbers, to throw the selection process.

I'm not particularly impressed with this take-it-or-leave-it two-party system. It's very like a one-party system, if neither party is remotely acceptable.

As for Governor DeSantis, I note this from Sunday's Guardian...
Seemingly aware of his growing political vulnerability, Trump is reportedly considering announcing another run for the White House sooner than expected. He has teased the prospect at recent rallies and, according to the New York Times, told advisers that he might declare his candidacy on social media without warning even his own team.

Such a move could have the added impetus of heading off a new star rising in the Republican firmament. Ron DeSantis, the pugnacious governor of Florida, is widely seen as his heir apparent and biggest rival for the Republican presidential nomination in two years’ time. At 43, DeSantis is more than three decades younger and is free of Trump’s January 6 toxicity.

Speaking from Tallahassee, longtime Republican strategist Rick Wilson of Florida said: “I’ve picked up the same rumors that everybody else is hearing that Ron DeSantis’s people are practically picking out curtains in the White House after Tuesday.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -candidate
Several of our pro-T neighbors have been talking about DeSantis, already. I think they are waking up to the fact that Trump is simply in it for the money..
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Couple of updates. DeSantis is on the ballot for Florida Governor, this year. So if he gets the job, again, campaigning for the Pres will take up much of his time and attention for the first two years of his job. I hope the local Rethuglicans keep that in mind.

As for Trump, only a few of his most loyal followers seem to have gone on record as agreeing with hid notion that the election was rigged.
Most of his cronies are saying that they tried to tell him that getting that vote recount was not going to get him anywhere.
His only hope for staying out of jail seems be based on him being able to run in '24 and get elected, and then pardoning himself.

As absurd as that may sound, looking at some of the state Rethublican party platforms, it seems they are determined to put him back in the WH in '24.
https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/18 ... on-cornyn/
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir

Return to “Current Political Events”