Beware of sugar substitutes

pinksharkazulu

Post by pinksharkazulu »

I'm new to this but just wanted to warn people who think that sugar substitutes are better for you than eating the real thing - don't be fooled by what the ads say...

After seeing an advert for Splenda, the no-calorie sweetener that can be used in cooking, I decided to do a bit of research before trying the product and I'm glad that I did. The ad shows a mother feeding her family foods made with this stuff.

Splenda is made using a chemical process that uses chlorine and carbon monoxide to make a lethal gas called phosgene. The natural oxygen and hydrogen molecules in sugar are replaced with halogen chlorine, and the result is a product that doesn't even vaguely resemble sugar. This chemical process makes Splenda 600 times sweeter than real sugar.

Further research threw up some interesting testimonials of people who have tried Splenda, or diet products containing sucralose, with many of them having suffered illnesses including anxiety attacks, depression, skin problems and gastro problems.

Look carefully at what is in your diet food and drink, surely if there is any risk that these products might make you ill then it's not worth it?!
grooboggle

Post by grooboggle »

I think the whole point of splenda is that it doesn't resemble sugar. To be calorie free Splenda has to be made from a substance you can't metabolize. I have used Splenda and one of the nice benefits of it is you can heat it without it becoming unbearably bitter. Many of the sugar substitute studies use an unbelievable amount of the substitute to get an unfavorable reaction, Tab anyone,. If you used a comparable amount of regular sugar in a long term study you would get many unfavorable outcomes such as a tremendous upswing in diabetes.
SweetDarlin

Post by SweetDarlin »

I am not sure about the NEGATIVE propoganda... but I can tell you my family is allergic to artificial sweetners. The stuff is just nasty.

We are purists when it comes to food. Good old wholesome orginal natural food... or nothing, thanks.
[FONT=Georgia]

[/FONT]

Return to “Kids Family”