Becoming a Non-Smoker.

OpenMind

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by OpenMind »

I am posting this thread, not because I want support, but because I hope it will encourage anyone who wants or is having trouble not smoking.

When I have finished writing this article, I am going to have my last cigarette. I am looking forward to this event with relish.

All I have to do is to be positive and not smoke another cigarette. I don’t need a cigarette. For what possible reason do I need a cigarette? The only reason I need another cigarette is because of the previous one. Each cigarette nourishes the nicotine monkey that sits on my back with its hand in my brain telling me that I need another cigarette. If I don’t nourish it, it will die, and I will have less weight to carry on my shoulders.

The next time I suffer a calamity, I will know that all a cigarette does is induce me to have another one. It does not help to resolve the calamity. If anything, it actually makes me feel worse, aside from the guilt of failing in my purpose not to smoke.

Cigarettes are foul, and they clog up my pores, lungs and arteries. What stupid fool wants to do that to their self? I no longer need or want a cigarette.

I will not use substitutes. That is one of the mistakes I made when I stopped in January. All they do is reinforce the idea that I am weak and need a cigarette. Better to get the nicotine out of myself as quickly as possible so that the monkey dies. I am not inhumane. I want the monkey to die quickly. Not like the monkey that wants me to die slowly and horribly.

Neither am I giving up cigarettes. There is nothing to give up. It’s all in the mind. Yes, I will get a few pangs during the first week as the nicotine leaves my body. But each pang will be a reminder of the evil I am ridding from my body. My body is fantastic. It is an amazing self-repairing machine. Each day, it renews countless thousands of dying and damaged cells. Without the nicotine, its job will be made that much easier.

Stress? Nicotine induces stress. It doesn’t help a person to relax; all it does is to create a need for another cigarette. The only reason a smoker cannot concentrate without a cigarette is because that person cannot think of anything else but having a cigarette until it has been lit. It’s all in the mind. But I know that a cigarette does not help stress. So where is the sense in having one. There isn’t any.

With all this knowledge, other smokers around me will not bother me. They can’t induce me to have another cigarette. I am sick of cigarettes. For the last two weeks, my brain has not been able to ignore the effects that each cigarette has had on my brain and body. Yeuch!

At the moment, I can only imagine what it will be like to have oxygen in my body. Oxygen in my lungs, in my blood, in my heart, in my brain, and in my muscles. I have to go back to when I was a young boy. Without nicotine, I will be able to remember that period better than I can now. Cherished memories that I have been destroying by smoking this foul weed because it destroys the brain’s cells.

Those pangs of nicotine withdrawal are nothing compared to the misery I will inflict upon myself if I were to have another cigarette. So now, that’s it. I am going to have that last cigarette. A small ritual to instil within myself just how horrible it is. My gratitude goes out to Allen Carr for his words of wisdom and sound sense. Sense that all smokers know but simply ignore just to feed that nicotine monkey.

God bless everyone who wants to stop smoking. Do it now! Not tomorrow, not next week or next year. Now is the only time to stop.

At the time of posting this, I have already had that last cigarette. I feel free. There is no panic, no regrets or qualms, just a feeling of completion. There is nothing that I do that can be improved by having a cigarette. I get no nenefit from them at all.

abbey

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by abbey »

Well done to you, i'm sure you'll be a success x

CHEERS, TO YOUR GOOD HEALTH.
Lon

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by Lon »

I wish you success. I had a bitch of a time quitting 20 years ago. I'd crawl 5 miles on broken beer bottles to get a smoke. The first 48 hours is hell.
pina

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by pina »

Well done!

robinseggs

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by robinseggs »

Good luck openmind, and just remember, if you cave it is not the end of the world.....your real success it jumping right back on the "Quitting Wagon" and foraging ahead to smoke free days!! Again, good luck and I am rooting for you!! Robin
Nature laughs Last
Clint

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by Clint »

Twenty two years ago after having a three pack a day habit I promised myself I would never put another cigarette to my lips. I never have. July 4, 1983 was truly independence day for me.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Johnny 5

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by Johnny 5 »

Not to rain on your parade at all.......but I quit 2 years ago, and contrary to what all the experts will say (your friends)....

Yes, the first 48 hours suck ass, but the cravings will still be there, don't think they will just miraculously go away, because they don't. And in fact it's a mental thing after a week or so.......But you will still have cravings from time to time onwards and up to 72 days after you have stopped. This is actual fact. The human body needs up to 72 days to completely become unaddicted to nicotine. This is why it's so hard to quit. No other drug will hook you for that long. Even crack, (while it may have an extreme week long withdrawal period) After that you are home free.....Where as nicotine takes nearly 2.5 months. This is exactly why so many quit and then start smoking again.....then quit and start smoking again...

I wish you all the strong will and mental power you'll need for this.....and I would challenge you to aim for that 72 day mark.... 72 days has a psychological factor in it also, because it seems so long, well that helps you get it in your head that you are "going to quit" right? Meaning no smoking for ever again? Well, 72 days isn't that long compared to the rest of your life. I had a bitch of a time let me tell you.

I wish you all the luck in the world good buddy.....And take this from an ex smoker, even still to this day I will be in a restaurant or out somewhere and get a little whiff of a smoke and man, that **** smells like a steak dinner and the cravings rush back........So yea it's an ongoing thing,. it's not one of those..."hmm I'm hungry, so you eat and the hunger goes away"

The temptation is always going to be there.......................That is why it is so important to be mentally prepared for quitting....

72 days...trust me...........aim high.....:rolleyes:
Clint

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by Clint »

Johnny 5 wrote: Not to rain on your parade at all.......but I quit 2 years ago, and contrary to what all the experts will say (your friends)....

Yes, the first 48 hours suck ass, but the cravings will still be there, don't think they will just miraculously go away, because they don't. And in fact it's a mental thing after a week or so.......But you will still have cravings from time to time onwards and up to 72 days after you have stopped. This is actual fact. The human body needs up to 72 days to completely become unaddicted to nicotine. This is why it's so hard to quit. No other drug will hook you for that long. Even crack, (while it may have an extreme week long withdrawal period) After that you are home free.....Where as nicotine takes nearly 2.5 months. This is exactly why so many quit and then start smoking again.....then quit and start smoking again...

I wish you all the strong will and mental power you'll need for this.....and I would challenge you to aim for that 72 day mark.... 72 days has a psychological factor in it also, because it seems so long, well that helps you get it in your head that you are "going to quit" right? Meaning no smoking for ever again? Well, 72 days isn't that long compared to the rest of your life. I had a bitch of a time let me tell you.

I wish you all the luck in the world good buddy.....And take this from an ex smoker, even still to this day I will be in a restaurant or out somewhere and get a little whiff of a smoke and man, that **** smells like a steak dinner and the cravings rush back........So yea it's an ongoing thing,. it's not one of those..."hmm I'm hungry, so you eat and the hunger goes away"

The temptation is always going to be there.......................That is why it is so important to be mentally prepared for quitting....

72 days...trust me...........aim high.....:rolleyes:
You are right. It's a tough thing to do but you are wrong about the cravings. I think I was vulnerable for about three years. I don't have any cravings anymore. They do go away. I'm not tempted in the least.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
OpenMind

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by OpenMind »

Johnny 5 [Quote]. Yes, the first 48 hours suck ass, but the cravings will still be there, don't think they will just miraculously go away, because they don't. And in fact it's a mental thing after a week or so.......But you will still have cravings from time to time onwards and up to 72 days after you have stopped. This is actual fact. The human body needs up to 72 days to completely become unaddicted to nicotine. This is why it's so hard to quit. No other drug will hook you for that long. Even crack, (while it may have an extreme week long withdrawal period) After that you are home free.....Where as nicotine takes nearly 2.5 months. This is exactly why so many quit and then start smoking again.....then quit and start smoking again... [Quote]

Thanks everyone for your words of support. I deduced many years ago that the physical craving is slight and only lasts for a split second. But it is enough to set the mind thinking about a fag and people believe that cravings are strong and last a long time. They don't. It's the mind. Contrary to belief, there is a painless way of stopping. It takes preparation. But the cravings do go. Between January and March, I only suffered physical withdrawal symptoms in the first week and they were easy to overcome. It's all in the mindset and how you see cigarettes in your life (even as a non-smoker). My mistake was allowing the thought to take hold when I had trouble in March.

I can't do it by withdrawal alone. This time I am better prepared. Why suffer when I'm supposed to be enjoying the freedom from the weed. This applies to any type of addiction.
OpenMind

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by OpenMind »

Clint wrote: Twenty two years ago after having a three pack a day habit I promised myself I would never put another cigarette to my lips. I never have. July 4, 1983 was truly independence day for me.

Well done Clint. It only takes one to fall back in the smoking pit again.:)
ubetta

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by ubetta »

I quit smoking yesterday. I also started my diet so I don't blow up like a balloon when I keep shoving food into my face, lol. Yesterday was ok. Today was a bit difficult. I appear to be having hormonal swings...up down up down, but hell, I just shove another nut or piece of veggie in my mouth and it goes away. Next week, by mid week, I will have my exercise routine going. So, I figure it this way. I quit smoking, ease the cravings with good food, lose weight as I do so, let the lungs breath on their own for a few days, the cravings start to leave, I cut down on the food, and then exercising kicks in! Sheeit, I should be one healthy happy babe in a few months!
TonyNY

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by TonyNY »

Good luck,

I wanted to quit for years and it dawned on me that I might actually orphan my kids if I dont quit.

You have someone needing you there for them.
OpenMind

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by OpenMind »

Way to go Ubetta. Every time you do feel a craving, big or small, think of it as a sign of your freedom as each pang is just the nicotine monkey leaving your body.

:-6

Tony, it's not so bad. If you feel you can't do it, I recommend Allen Carr's book - "The Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently". His success rate is so good that the Government prefer to ignore him (as they rake in a lot of money from tobacco revenues). That's what I used this second time around.
nvalleyvee

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by nvalleyvee »

I'm still struggling after 2 months. I think I need to quit the helpers (patch, logenzes, etc.)
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
abbey

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by abbey »

TonyNY wrote: Good luck,

I wanted to quit for years and it dawned on me that I might actually orphan my kids if I dont quit.

You have someone needing you there for them.
Welcome to FG Tony, hope you enjoy the Garden :-6
OpenMind

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by OpenMind »

Sorry, Tony. I didn't spot you as a newcomer. Welcome. Look forward to having a few discussions with you.
OpenMind

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by OpenMind »

nvalleyvee wrote: I'm still struggling after 2 months. I think I need to quit the helpers (patch, logenzes, etc.)

Hi NV. Apparently, as I have now learnt, this does become a problem. That was another reason for not using nicotine substitutes. But well done there! Two months. You've beat my 7 weeks. :yh_worshp You must be feeling a lot happier now.
SweetDarlin

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by SweetDarlin »

Good luck, my friend. Today is your first nicotine free day.. I hope you are feeling the difference.

MWAHHH!:-4
[FONT=Georgia]

[/FONT]
OpenMind

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by OpenMind »

SweetDarlin wrote: Good luck, my friend. Today is your first nicotine free day.. I hope you are feeling the difference.

MWAHHH!:-4

Sure am SD. I've been feeling the oxygen filling every cell of my body. It's been like standing up suddenly but gentler. Pins and needles too. Just all that oxygen taking over. Phew. It's overwhelming. Can barely concentrate, but it's getting easier.:yh_yinyan
minks

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by minks »

Congrats all you non smokers after trial and error, I am proud of you guys. And for those of you still trying keep your chins up, and come here often from support. I have no sage advise as I never smoked, but lived with 3 brother, ex husband, and daughter. All I can say.... anyone quitting is getting a new lease on life Rah Rah Rah you guys. NV keep getting cheers from the group you can do it.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
OpenMind

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by OpenMind »

Thanks Minks. Really appreciate all the support that's been given here.:)
Bez

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by Bez »

Keep going people...I am a miserable failure. I gave up for 20 weeks with the help of patches and the local practise nurse. It was really easy to start with but a couple of months ago something bad happened in my life and i had a cigarette...i really regret it as I'm now back to 10+ a day. Everyone is disappointed with me which makes me feel bad.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
OpenMind

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by OpenMind »

That's what happened to me Bez. And, the same as you, I felt like a failure so I found it real hard to get back on the boat again. I finally got there though with the help of the book that I mentioned in the first post on this thread. It was recommended to me from various unrelated sources so I thought it was worth a try, and it was. Don't give up, and don't think badly of yourself - leave that to the others. Unless they've been through it, they've no idea what it's like. But this book not only covers every angle, but leaves you simply not wanting a smoke. Please give it a try.:-4
minks

Becoming a Non-Smoker.

Post by minks »

OpenMind wrote: That's what happened to me Bez. And, the same as you, I felt like a failure so I found it real hard to get back on the boat again. I finally got there though with the help of the book that I mentioned in the first post on this thread. It was recommended to me from various unrelated sources so I thought it was worth a try, and it was. Don't give up, and don't think badly of yourself - leave that to the others. Unless they've been through it, they've no idea what it's like. But this book not only covers every angle, but leaves you simply not wanting a smoke. Please give it a try.:-4

Baby steps you guys remember each day without is a success, then it is 2 then it is 3 set backs happen as well, but you are never failures.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”