A Very Sad Day...

How's your day going? Are you having a great work day - or - a horrible one? Got complaints about your boss? Your co-workers? Your spouse or friends? This is the place to let it hang out.
observer1

A Very Sad Day...

Post by observer1 »

I took my cat to the vet yesterday because he's been getting blocked up (urinary tract). I had just spent almost $800 to have him surgically unblocked about a month ago. Had to feed him special food,that wasn't cheap. Now it's all over... I had Spooky put to sleep last evening. :-1 :-1
abbey

A Very Sad Day...

Post by abbey »

observer1 wrote: I took my cat to the vet yesterday because he's been getting blocked up (urinary tract). I had just spent almost $800 to have him surgically unblocked about a month ago. Had to feed him special food,that wasn't cheap. Now it's all over... I had Spooky put to sleep last evening. :-1 :-1Obs, i am so sorry for your loss.
chonsigirl

A Very Sad Day...

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, love and hugs for you-a pet is a family member, and well loved. Spooky is happy now where he is at, I believe all of God's creatures go to heaven.
greydeadhead

A Very Sad Day...

Post by greydeadhead »

Obs..

so sorry for you loss. Lost my friend this spring and I still think of her constantly..

be well
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
robinseggs

A Very Sad Day...

Post by robinseggs »

Awwww observer, I am so sorry for your loss. Just try to remember all the happy times and know that Spooky is no longer suffering. You did the best you could for him and gave him a good life. I am sure a little angel has received him into heaven. Here is a link to a wonderful book that deals with pet loss....

It is called "All God's Creatures Go To Heaven".

Nature laughs Last
observer1

A Very Sad Day...

Post by observer1 »

robinseggs wrote: Awwww observer, I am so sorry for your loss. Just try to remember all the happy times and know that Spooky is no longer suffering. You did the best you could for him and gave him a good life. I am sure a little angel has received him into heaven. Here is a link to a wonderful book that deals with pet loss....

It is called "All God's Creatures Go To Heaven".

Thanks robinsegg. And thanks to all of you! I've made it practically through the day without crying. Not sure how I'll be when I go home & he doesn't come greet me at the door.
minks

A Very Sad Day...

Post by minks »

Awww I am so sorry to hear of your loss OB1, not easy to do to ones best of friends. Have had to do the same with 2 of my dogs in days gone by. Our vet pressed their paws into clay and let it harden, now hanging on my wall by my front door is 2 little clay plaques with my "shadow" and "jed's" paw prints. I think of them everytime I walk out the door.

Gone but not forgotten
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Betty Boop

A Very Sad Day...

Post by Betty Boop »

:yh_hugs for you.
observer1

A Very Sad Day...

Post by observer1 »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I know how you feel . We will have to make a similar decision soon concerning our (nearly 20 yr old ) collie who has a heart murmur,cancer cateracts, hearing deficiency,arthritis, muscle wastage and god knows what else. A visit to the vet this evening may be the deciding visit

Good luck ArnoldLayne! It was heart-wrenching! I asked the vet her opinion. Her reply was, "I can't tell you what to do." I'm sure she was covering her tail, because I could come back & say she told me to do this or that.

I spoke with the receptionist/attendant & she told me I've been very good to Spook. That most people wouldn't have gone as far as I did. I told her that was what I needed to hear & on that, told her to go ahead & put him down. The doctor was performing an emergency C-section (sounds funny, huh? A vet!).

After the doctor found out, she called me & told me she thought I was doing the right thing. That really helped to ease my conscience. That was my major problem... such a huge feeling of guilt! I mean, Spook seemed fine. He just couldn't go to the bathroom. I asked the vet if she thought he was in pain & she said yes, he probably was.

I'm sure it was for the best, still just very hard to swallow.
jennyswan

A Very Sad Day...

Post by jennyswan »

Im sorry to hear that. It's like losing a family member. It was a kind thing you did though. Spooky has no pain now.
Jives

A Very Sad Day...

Post by Jives »

Here's a really important tip for everyone reading this thread:

I've had 5 kitties now in my life, all one at a time and all but the latest dead now. If you take your animal to be euthanized, please tell the doctor that you will attend to the body.

You may not want to witness the actual event yourself, it can be heart-shattering. I know I'll never forget a single time, and most days I wish I could.

But it's critical that you, yourself, take the body and bury it with dignity.

Unfortunately, due to the number of euthanizations, the bodies of our dear little friends are not treated with the kind of respect and dignity you would think a veteranarian would use. (Sometimes they are just bagged up and sent out with the trash to the landfill.)

At my home, we have a little rose garden. We bury our companions there, deeply, with no plastic. Then we plant a rose bush over their grave. Boosted by the nutrients from our former friends, the roses bloom spectacularly all Summer, reminding us with every sight and smell that our friend's spirits are still with us.

To anyone who has lost a pet....wait long enough to let the grief fade a bit, then get another kitten or puppy right away. The new baby will cause you to get over the worst of the pain much quicker.:o
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
orangesox1

A Very Sad Day...

Post by orangesox1 »

It's awful when we loose our pets, I'm sorry for your loss.

My much loved cat has been gone for a few days, I hope she's at the animal shelter, I'll call today and see.:-1
BabyRider

A Very Sad Day...

Post by BabyRider »

OB1, sorry to hear about you having to make that tough decision. It's never easy to have to determine the life of your pet.

Jives, I like what you say about getting another pet soon, it very often does help considerably, but should still be a decision that is not made lightly. As with getting any pet.

The other stuff bothers me, though. What sort of vet have you been to that disposes of animals in this way?

(Perhaps we should take this discussion to it's own thread. It doesn't feel right here in Observer's thread about Spooky.)
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Nomad

A Very Sad Day...

Post by Nomad »

I really hate to see animals suffer. Theres no easy way to get through that. Im sorry.
I AM AWESOME MAN
mominiowa

A Very Sad Day...

Post by mominiowa »

That urinary thing isn't abnormal - we lost our Shorty to that also..feeding tube in place and all that jazz till we finally had to say enough.....it has been 3 years and can you believe that I shed a tear for you and your kitty thinking of her...I can only imagine you were a super KITTY mom!.......

:( You have all my good thoughts coming your way..........

BIG -HUGE -GIGANTIC HUG!:-4

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
abbey

A Very Sad Day...

Post by abbey »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I know how you feel . We will have to make a similar decision soon concerning our (nearly 20 yr old ) collie who has a heart murmur,cancer cateracts, hearing deficiency,arthritis, muscle wastage and god knows what else. A visit to the vet this evening may be the deciding visitHow did the vet visit go AL?
observer1

A Very Sad Day...

Post by observer1 »

Jives, I asked about what the options were with Spooky's body, pretty much knowing what I would do. They told me he could be creamated with other animals, or have a separate creamation & I'd get his ashes (costs more), or I could take him & bury him. I called my parents & asked my step-father to dig a hole in the yard by our other deceased little companions. He said he would. They were going to give him to me in a cadaver bag! I told them if they don't have a box, I'll bring one. I couldn't carry his little lifeless body out like that!!

Believe it or not, knowing that he's not suffering anymore, I didn't shed another tear last night! :o
robinseggs

A Very Sad Day...

Post by robinseggs »

Jives wrote: Here's a really important tip for everyone reading this thread:

I've had 5 kitties now in my life, all one at a time and all but the latest dead now. If you take your animal to be euthanized, please tell the doctor that you will attend to the body.

You may not want to witness the actual event yourself, it can be heart-shattering. I know I'll never forget a single time, and most days I wish I could.

But it's critical that you, yourself, take the body and bury it with dignity.

Unfortunately, due to the number of euthanizations, the bodies of our dear little friends are not treated with the kind of respect and dignity you would think a veteranarian would use. (Sometimes they are just bagged up and sent out with the trash to the landfill.)

At my home, we have a little rose garden. We bury our companions there, deeply, with no plastic. Then we plant a rose bush over their grave. Boosted by the nutrients from our former friends, the roses bloom spectacularly all Summer, reminding us with every sight and smell that our friend's spirits are still with us.

To anyone who has lost a pet....wait long enough to let the grief fade a bit, then get another kitten or puppy right away. The new baby will cause you to get over the worst of the pain much quicker.:o

Remember though that although they may be buried there, it is only their body that lingers. Their lofty little spirits have moved out and will be with us no matter where you bury them. I have never buried one of my dogs at home, always left with the vet (w/ a plan in order)....but in our garden we have 2 guinea pigs, 5 mice, 6 hermit crabs, 5 fish, a few preying mantises...and even a toad. For us burying the dog in the garden would maybe be too much on the little ones?
Nature laughs Last
Jives

A Very Sad Day...

Post by Jives »

robinseggs wrote: always left with the vet (w/ a plan in order).

You're right, I think that would be enough. But make sure that you know what will happen.

BR - It's New Mexico. We only got the telephone last year. Many things around here are circa 1880's including veterinarian's attitudes.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
observer1

A Very Sad Day...

Post by observer1 »

Well, I'm on my way to go get Spook's remains & bury him. Talk to y'all tomorrow.:-1 :-1
nvalleyvee

A Very Sad Day...

Post by nvalleyvee »

I did not read the entire thread. Sometimes our babies (pets) get old and it is much better to put them out of their misery than keep them alive for our emotional health. If you put yourself in your pets place - would you want to be kept alive? Death is always a very sad thing and being kept alive through physical degredation can be worse on the pet. They cannot talk but if you know your pet and their activity and the the hard time they are having - say to yourself - why am I keeping them alive and for what reason. You may find some peace in letting your pet go.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
greydeadhead

A Very Sad Day...

Post by greydeadhead »

Hey Obs...

Remember... all that you are burying is the physical remains of your bud. Spook will always be in your heart. Keep the unconditional love and memories that Spook gave you over the years close to you and you shall never be alone..

be well...
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
observer1

A Very Sad Day...

Post by observer1 »

When I walked into the vet's office, the assistant got tears in her eyes & came out to hug me. Well, that got me crying. She carried him out to the car, in a box wrapped in her "sheepy blanket". She said the doctor was in but couldn't come out to me. Apparently too upset. I picked my daughter & her boyfriend up & we took Spook over to my parents' house to be buried. On our way, we were talking about "I remember when...". My brother-in-law had to do it, because we all couldn't. He told us to turn around, because he had to push him down in the hole. EEWWW!! Then he covered him up. We were fine. It's done.

Strangest thing though... on the way home, the song, "I Believe" came on the radio.

Thank you all for you wonderful kindness.
robinseggs

A Very Sad Day...

Post by robinseggs »

Thanks for the update observer!! You made me cry and gave me goosebumps all in one post!! LOL...I am sure the song on the radio was only the first of many signs that Spooky is all around you and in your heart. Here's to many more little "love signs" from Spook!!
Nature laughs Last
pennyforyourthoughts

A Very Sad Day...

Post by pennyforyourthoughts »

Hi, I'm new today but I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you. I have gone through this experience a couple of times now so I know how hard it is.

We can become so attached to our pets. My little dog, a yorkshire terrier, is very special to me and when he goes, I will be devastated. But, you did the right thing.
observer1

A Very Sad Day...

Post by observer1 »

Welcome Penny. And thanks for your sympathy. You all are so sweet. I know he's better off. It's just still really strange not to have him around the house! I never realized just how much I counted on his company til now!

Penny, someday I'd love to get a Yorkie! They are the cutest dogs! Friends of ours have one & another couple we know has 3! I love them!
pennyforyourthoughts

A Very Sad Day...

Post by pennyforyourthoughts »

You are right, they are so cute and adorable. We have had five in our family and they have all had their own little characters. They are so affectionate and fun loving too! You would do right to get one someday.
Accountable

A Very Sad Day...

Post by Accountable »

I missed this until today. Thanks for bumping it, Penny.

Ob1, I'm sorry for your loss. Those little guys really become part of you, don't they? You'll see/hear Spooky here and there forever, I'm sure. My beloved and I are convinced our little cat has the spirit of our last dog; some of her behavior is exactly alike. :-6
Allie

A Very Sad Day...

Post by Allie »

I'm new here but I am so sorry about your kitty. :-1 I am a huge cat lover. It breaks my heart to hear someone loses their fur babies.
orangesox1

A Very Sad Day...

Post by orangesox1 »

Allie wrote: I'm new here but I am so sorry about your kitty. :-1 I am a huge cat lover. It breaks my heart to hear someone loses their fur babies.

Welcome Allie, I'v also lost my much loved cat, she's just disapeared into thin air. The ranger told me they just up and find a new home sometimes:-1 Like mine wasn't good enough for her or something. She used to sleep on my bed everynight and lay on my lap when I watched TV, I don't really see how she could have it better elsewhere:(
Nomad

A Very Sad Day...

Post by Nomad »

orangesox1 wrote: Welcome Allie, I'v also lost my much loved cat, she's just disapeared into thin air. The ranger told me they just up and find a new home sometimes:-1 Like mine wasn't good enough for her or something. She used to sleep on my bed everynight and lay on my lap when I watched TV, I don't really see how she could have it better elsewhere:(

Tuna.

Thats how you keep them Ozzy.

If you werent doing the tuna tango, well................
I AM AWESOME MAN
orangesox1

A Very Sad Day...

Post by orangesox1 »

Nomad wrote: Tuna.

Thats how you keep them Ozzy.

If you werent doing the tuna tango, well................
Thanks Nomad, I feel so much better for your kind words.
observer1

A Very Sad Day...

Post by observer1 »

Thanks for your condolences, all. I have a bit of an update. Last evening, I got home from work & checked my mail. My vet's office had sent me the most beautiful card! Each person I'd dealt with wrote a short note to me inside, telling me I'd done the right thing, & that Spooky was with his little friends up there now, not suffering. They said that I was a good "mom" to him.

Then, last night, I dreamt about him. He came to me & was rubbing against me to tell me that he's fine & he wasn't mad at me for the choice I'd made. I'm starting to feel better now.
robinseggs

A Very Sad Day...

Post by robinseggs »

OMG! I am crying! So sweet. Thanks for sharing that!
Nature laughs Last
chryslergirl

A Very Sad Day...

Post by chryslergirl »

I'm so sorry, I know how badly you are feeling right now. I read this somewhere else -- I hope it provides some comfort.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine; our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor, and those who were hurt are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left here.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent and his excited body shakes. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass towards you, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress his beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never gone from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Hazel

A Very Sad Day...

Post by Hazel »

I lost my 10 year old cat last July, so i understand how you are feeling. I miss him like mad..
"Before criticising someone, always walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get angry or violent, they are a mile away and haven't got any shoes."
Astra

A Very Sad Day...

Post by Astra »

I lost my dog 5 years ago...she was the best and I think I'll miss her forever. Pets are more than just animals, they are friends and family too.

Return to “Welcome To My Day!”