Majority of Countries Want Kerry In White House.

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
xlt66

Post by xlt66 »

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A majority of people in 30 of 35 countries want Democratic party flagbearer John Kerry (news - web sites) in the White House, according to a survey released showing US President George W. Bush (news - web sites) rebuffed by all of America's traditional allies.

Do we really care?

Norway (74 percent compared with Bush's seven percent), Germany (74 percent to 10 percent), France (64 percent to five percent), the Netherlands (63 percent to six percent), Italy (58 percent to 14 percent) and Spain (45 percent to seven percent). Kerry was also greatly favored among Canadians by 61 percent to Bush's 16 percent and among the Japanese by 43 percent to 23 percent.

I'll vote for Bush on these facts alone. When was the last time any of these countries showed any leadership?

http//news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20040908/ts_alt_afp/us_vote_poll_bush_kerry_040908164913
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

xlt66 wrote: WASHINGTON (AFP) - A majority of people in 30 of 35 countries want Democratic party flagbearer John Kerry (news - web sites) in the White House, according to a survey released showing US President George W. Bush (news - web sites) rebuffed by all of America's traditional allies.

Do we really care?

Norway (74 percent compared with Bush's seven percent), Germany (74 percent to 10 percent), France (64 percent to five percent), the Netherlands (63 percent to six percent), Italy (58 percent to 14 percent) and Spain (45 percent to seven percent). Kerry was also greatly favored among Canadians by 61 percent to Bush's 16 percent and among the Japanese by 43 percent to 23 percent.

I'll vote for Bush on these facts alone. When was the last time any of these countries showed any leadership?

Indeed, and where are they anyway? France is in Europe, they hate us, Italy

and Spane ar in North Africka and are commies, and Norway is on the other

side of Russia.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

plazul wrote: Yeah, right. What possible benefit could it be to have a president who's respected by the international community? We're imperial America! We're a superpower goddammit, and what do need those wimpy foreigners for anyway?

Erm, err... Yee-Haw. Yeah! Dang my poons, what!

;-)
xlt66

Post by xlt66 »

Sorry Gents,

But that's how I feel. It's always give, give, give. When was the last time the U.S. received foreign aid from any of the countries who were polled? Domestic aid? What about the latest hurricanes? Is Spain, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy flying in blankets and hot chocolate for our Charley victims? The world loves Kerry because he is more likely to give bigger handouts. He's an Internationalist, remember? The world is turning into a welfare society and I don't think we should have to foot the bill anymore.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Indeed, and where are they anyway? France is in Europe, they hate us, Italy

and Spane ar in North Africka and are commies, and Norway is on the other

side of Russia.

Please tell me you are kidding and you do know where these countries really are.

Just in case you don't France is in Europe. Spain and Italy are not in North Africa, Spain is a constitutional monarchy, that is it has a king and a parliament but under Franco was Fascist (that's the opposite of communist. If you remember your history Hitler helped him to power and many americans, including Ernest Hemingway fought against him)

Norway is part of Scandanavia which the last time I looked at a map was part of europe.

I really do hope you were joking because if you weren't it shows a breathtaking depth of ignorance about the world and its countries.
xlt66

Post by xlt66 »

I read it as though he was joking. But?
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

gmc wrote: I really do hope you were joking because if you weren't it shows a breathtaking depth of ignorance about the world and its countries.

I'm off home now, where I intend to spend the evening drinking hot toddies

and poring over my old school atlas, with my tongue sticking out of the corner

of my mouth and tracing the outlines of the countries with my pointing-finger.

Cya!
gmc

Post by gmc »

I'm off home now, where I intend to spend the evening drinking hot toddies

and poring over my old school atlas, with my tongue sticking out of the corner

of my mouth and tracing the outlines of the countries with my pointing-finger.

Thank goodness for that. Joking aside I have come across the odd individual whose knowledge of the outside world is at that level. It's bad enough when they think Scotland is a county in england. I hope you have one of the old arlases that shows the UK as several times bigger than it actually is

Do I really have to spell out the word SARCASM to make my point?

Eh? My post was aimed at Bill sikes. I did get your point, having looked at some of your posts I realised you were joking. On the other hand I have come across the odd poster who would mean something like that in deadly earnest.

The world loves Kerry because he is more likely to give bigger handouts. He's an Internationalist, remember? The world is turning into a welfare society and I don't think we should have to foot the bill anymore.

It's not that but rather he is perceived as less likely to start another war. Only americans seem still to believe Saddam had anything to do with 911 or had WMD.

An attitude of you're either with us or against us is all very well but do understand you are likely to be on your own.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Not just americans. people here tend to live in their own towns than get on a plane to go abroad. Its actually cheaper to go on a package holiday than it is to holiday at home, so unless you are in to outdoor pursuits you head for the sun.

American tourists seem to be in two categories, new yorkers or anyone from the big cities seem OK but when you meet someone from the mid west they seem to be in a state of shock and always look wary. I think it's the accents, we tend to speak quite quickly (human threat display, when getting angry most people start speaking more quickly) and a broad scots accent can sound fairly aggressive if you are not used to it. Californians I think are on a different planet

Big hint, if you don't understand what somebody said just ask, if you have an unusual accent you get used to not being understood and its not offensive.

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”