More DoS problems!!

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
anastrophe

More DoS problems!!

Post by anastrophe »

preface: i've never mentioned this, since it's not really relevant to anything i've posted, but i figure i should make note of it since i'm sure most folks aren't aware of it: i'm formally associated with forumgarden, in the sense that i'm one of the guys who manages the 'backend' - i built the server that forumgarden is hosted on, and run assorted services associated with this venture. i don't do much at all in the way of day to day management of the actual forum system however - i'm the nuts and bolts UNIX administrator, not a moderator. if you poke around you can find the connection - there's a link to Smile Networks on forumgarden's main page, and if you go there, and click on the 'about' link, you'll see my mug once again.

now, that said: this particular incident was likely not a DoS. there are other reasons that outages can occur - MANY reasons - and this one appears to be due to a flakey piece of hardware on our local network. We're going to replace the hardware soon (within about a week - we don't have a replacement on hand), and that should eliminate the problem.

As far as the assertion 'there are ways to prevent DoS attacks', there are ways to prevent *some* DoS attacks, but by no means is it possible to prevent all of them. that's fundamental to TCP/IP. if you want to accept connections from the net, you are vulnerable to DoS. period.

again, in this instance, it doesn't necessarily appear to have been a DoS. sorry about the outage, it's frustrating for us too!
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
capt_buzzard

More DoS problems!!

Post by capt_buzzard »

plazul wrote: After writing yet another anti Bush essay I was unable to submit my post. I tried jumping to other forums and returning to the submission form but that didn't work. I couldn't refresh the page and all I got was a website not responding message. Then I left the site and couldn't come back.

Now I'll have to rewrite that post.

This has got to stop or it will kill Forum Garden. There are ways to prevent DoS attacks and this ISP seems to be able to correct them but that's not good enough.

I wish I could send all the malicious hackers to hell.

I've got the same problem here.

Return to “General Chit Chat”