Britain to confront US. over cloning ban.

capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

The scientific world was split by an ethical row over cloning last night.

The US wants a worldwide ban on all types of the controversial technique because of religious objections.

But Britain's leading scientists have banded together with many other countries to thwart the move.

The Royal Society agrees cloning to produce full-grown babies should be outlawed but argues that cloning for medical research should be allowed to continue.

Many British scientists believe 'therapeutic cloning' of embryos is one of the great hopes of medicine and may yield cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's,Parkinson's and diabetes.

The birth of a cloned baby would cross one of the most fundamental boundaries in science.

A few rogue scientists have already claimed to have achieved it, but have never provided and proof. They include Dr Zavos,Italian professor Severino Antinori and the so-called Raelian cult.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

capt_buzzard wrote: The scientific world was split by an ethical row over cloning last night.

The US wants a worldwide ban on all types of the controversial technique because of religious objections.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk

I can't see why the U.S.A. should think it any of their business, especially because

of "religious objections", to ask for a worldwide ban. However, I'm unable to find

the whole story - an exact URL or search instruction would be useful.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

I'm reading the paper. I did not check if it was online,but it should be,failing that

you can email Tim Utton, t.utton@dailymail.co.uk
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

I understand the concern. I also favor the ability to produce skin, organs, medicines that will make life better for those who need it.

When I step back and think about it on a personal level, I'm not sure how I would feel if someone cloned me. An actual human being. How would it *really be to watch a 10 year old me walk in the door? Creepy. Brings up ethical issues I don't think I've even scratched the surface of.

Interesting to contemplate....
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Warsai wrote: Whatever happened to seperation of church and state?.

There's probably some hidden reason, and religion is being used as a convenience....

Warsai wrote: I am in support of therapeutic cloning, if it's going to give a soldier who lost an arm in a war another arm, then why not?

I'm afraid I'm dead set against it if it means starting a potential human being

only to chop bits off it to repair another - however, tissue culture would be

another matter, if it could avoid this.

Warsai wrote: But why should we clone exact duplicates of ourselves, it'll only add to the increasing overpopulation of the world.

Yup. Maybe people with certain desirable traits could be cloned, but this is

IMO a very "iffy" idea - people tend to think that a clone will be identical

in terms of identical look and thought - however, this isn't so.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Clone Jack Lemon and Walter M. I enjoyed those two. Yes I agreee to it for medical,but that's it.

Return to “Current Events”