The coronation of King Charles III

spot

The coronation of King Charles III

Post by spot »

I have long contended that retaining the Monarch as Head of State in the UK is better than any of the flawed alternatives, most of which involve a degree of election to the position.

If, however, King Charles chooses to be crowned in military uniform, I will find it a step too far. I had never expected to turn republican but I most definitely will. Permanently. Being crowned in military uniform would be an outrage. I would rather see the Civil List abolished, the family retired from public life and their special tax provisions cancelled. I'm pretty sure their inherited possessions would need defining too, and it would involve at least the Royal Collections, the palaces and the properties managed as the Duchy of Cornwall. We might even withdraw all legal recognition of inherited titles for the entire aristocracy at the same time.

Uniforms? No thank you.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Re: The coronation of King Charles III

Post by LarsMac »

Did he not serve in the Military for some time?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:08 pm Did he not serve in the Military for some time?
He did indeed. He was taught to fly fixed-wing and helicopter, and he was given captaincy of a minesweeper for a year.

Since then, as with military dictators from Idi Amin onward, he has been given the rank of Field Marshal, Admiral of the Fleet and Marshal of the Royal Air Force, all of which titles have always been within the personal gift of the monarch. Presumably it's so that the British armed forces acknowledge loyalty to the crown though I note that even Donald Trump didn't ever appear in uniform after he left school. Both Donald Trump and His Majesty King Charles III have been styled Commander-in-Chief, as was the detestably embarrassing George W Bush.

The message which would be sent by the King wearing military uniform to his coronation is quite a different matter to the protocol governing the right to wear a uniform in this country. Hence my opening post.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Gotcha.

I suppose that might send a less than optimal message to the People.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Current Events”