Barbados

LarsMac

Barbados

Post by LarsMac »

Back in my younger days, I was in Barbados a few times.
I liked the place.
It's been near 50 years since I was there, now.
I do hope that fifty years from now Barbados proves to have been more ready for independence that Jamaica was when they left the Crown behind.

Barbados, Formally Casting Off the Queen, Becomes a Republic
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Re: Barbados

Post by spot »

I quite like that the first President is female, I don't expect that's ever happened before elsewhere.

Small islands can easily get swamped by criminals, I hope the Barbadians avoid that - there's enough money there to find alternatives.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Re: Barbados

Post by LarsMac »

I was in Jamaica around the time Manley was first elected, and things were going rather well at the time. A few years later it all seems to come undone. in 76, a friend and I barely got off the island with our lives after being caught up in some gang disagreements that got out of hand.

A few years back, the Mrs and I arrived on a cruise to find a completely different country.
We were not allowed to go meandering about the countryside, at all.

I do hope that Barbados remains something like it was.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Current Events”