The Royal family and all that goes on.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
magentaflame

The Royal family and all that goes on.

Post by magentaflame »

I don't understand people sometimes. Why is it that "family" even comes into it? During my upbringing I was always told it was an institution not a family. And anyone who had fantasies of being a "princess" needed their head read.

I haven't seen the Harry and Meghan interview yet. Nor do I think I need to because it seems to focus on things of emotion. I'm not sure it has any place within the job of Royalty.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Re: The Royal family and all that goes on.

Post by spot »

The extended family is not only dysfunctional and miserable, it's not even their choice. They were born that way. I wouldn't want it any different, they're the national sacrifice that keeps the constitution from being torn apart by power-hungry politicians. The royal family is hamstrung when it comes to politics but the monarchy is a defence against far nastier alternative Heads of State.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Not sure "hamstrung is the word". The Magna carter is an important document that keeps everyone in check.

born into it would be horrible....but to choose to go into it? You have to be mad or believe you have good personal reasons for it.

When I saw a snippet of Meghan saying "he wouldn't be given a title" ..why would she be upset about that? He would have gotten it later when he actually did something respectable. And it leaves him to live his own life. Or did she think he was "entitled" not to be at the lower wrungs of the "establishment"?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

The law obliging the crown to behave is common to Australia and the UK and derives from the Bill of Rights, whose roots lie in Magna Carta:

Stealing and editing from Wikipedia, the 1688 Bill of Rights
  • asserted "certain ancient rights and liberties" by declaring that:
    • the pretended power of suspending the laws and dispensing with laws by regal authority without consent of Parliament is illegal;
    • levying taxes without grant of Parliament is illegal;
    • it is the right of the subjects to petition the king, and prosecutions for such petitioning are illegal;
    • keeping a standing army in time of peace, unless it be with consent of Parliament, is against law;
    • election of members of Parliament ought to be free;
    • the freedom of speech and debates or proceedings in Parliament ought not to be impeached or questioned in any court or place out of Parliament;
    • excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted;
    • promises of fines and forfeitures before conviction are illegal and void;
    • for redress of all grievances, and for the amending, strengthening and preserving of the laws, Parliaments ought to be held frequently.
which is why the monarchy is legally bound within the limits of its power.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “General Chit Chat”