An earwig thread

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

An earwig thread

Post by spot »

What keeps on playing in your head even when you tell it to stop?

If you're susceptible, stay away. Be warned, this thread is not a place to linger. These are tunes designed to annoy people and selected on that basis.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Re: An earwig thread

Post by Betty Boop »

Earwig?
spot

Post by spot »

Are they not earwigs?

Earworm maybe. Try earworm. my dictionary suggests. " A catchy tune, piece of music, or (occasionally) phrase which persistently stays in a person's mind, esp. to the point of irritation."

I'm not totally familiar with modern day idiomatic expressions.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

You wrote the word "linger" now I have this stuck in my head. Yes sometimes it only takes one word. I've found that if I have an earworm I sing baa baa black sheep to myself and the earworm goes away. I get 'Spring in Lhasa', even find myself whistling it sometimes while putting out the washing. Sad really.

The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

That definitely gets us off to a good start, yes.

I'm trying very hard not to mention any English Football Anthems.

Damn.

Iconic though.

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I love that song but god yes it's painful. Soccer anthem huh? Interesting
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Heard this driving home from work yesterday....woke up with it in my head this morning. I'd never heard the song before yesterday.

spot

Post by spot »

It's hard to disapprove of Lou Reed though god knows I've tried hard over the years. Yes, that's a memorable track.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

EVERY musical we do at the theater gets stuck in my head. I guess it's from having to practice the songs for months. We are doing Aladdin at the moment soooo WHOLE NEW WORLD!!!!! :lol:
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:39 pm EVERY musical we do at the theater gets stuck in my head. I guess it's from having to practice the songs for months. We are doing Aladdin at the moment soooo WHOLE NEW WORLD!!!!! :lol:
I've a dreadful suspicion that I'll be going to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in August. The odd thing is I can't remember whether I saw it in my youth - I'm sure I did but I can't imagine how or why.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

spot wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:42 pm
Hope6 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:39 pm EVERY musical we do at the theater gets stuck in my head. I guess it's from having to practice the songs for months. We are doing Aladdin at the moment soooo WHOLE NEW WORLD!!!!! :lol:
I've a dreadful suspicion that I'll be going to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in August. The odd thing is I can't remember whether I saw it in my youth - I'm sure I did but I can't imagine how or why.
I've never seen that one either. We seem to be going through all the Disney musicals next year we are doing Cinderella! :o
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:50 pm
I've never seen that one either. We seem to be going through all the Disney musicals next year we are doing Cinderella! :o
England would call Cinderella or Aladdin a pantomime rather than a musical. The earlier prototype was called Punch and Judy, and it's deep stuff disguised as children's entertainment.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

My favorite Disney related Theater performance was one called "Disenchanted" that was going around the Dinner Theater Circuits a year or two back.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I don't go to concerts and theatres anymore.

1. That's what big screen TV's and recordings/DVD's are for.
2. I can munch on chips all the way through.
3. Intermission is when I want it to be.
4. I have control of the volume
5. No one is elbowing me.
6. I don't have to look over others heads.
7. I can have dinner 'during' the show.
8. recordings are of the best performance. So no dud nights.
9. I can laugh and heckle and there is no consequence.
10.............still thinking .
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

............OH!!!! I can dress as my favourite characters, decorate the room or dance around or play along/pretend to be one of the characters and nobody can see it.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

spot wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:13 pm
England would call Cinderella or Aladdin a pantomime rather than a musical. The earlier prototype was called Punch and Judy, and it's deep stuff disguised as children's entertainment.
but pantomime usually doesn't have any words, or not many anyway. We had lines in Aladdin that weren't sung.
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:39 pm
spot wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:13 pm
but pantomime usually doesn't have any words, or not many anyway. We had lines in Aladdin that weren't sung.
They're certainly not like conventional musicals.

I couldn't get tickets for Joseph next month, but I did get a couple to Anything Goes. I expect there will be tap dancing.

Here - this ought to make you smile -
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Funny. I liked that. :D
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

A friend keeps sending me theme music and theme songs from shows we used to watch as kids.
Ive got the 'Noddy' theme in my head now.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

So we just wrapped Bye Bye Birdie at the theater, Now I've got all that music running in my head! sooo Kids! whats the matter with kids today!! :lol:
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Whenever I get an Earworm I usually end up getting down & writing an arrangement for it.
As it happens I literally published one of these yesterday.
One of our Choir Members performed this as a Solo on our last Concert before LockDown (Xmas, 2019). I had never heard the song before, so I looked it up & wrote an SATB version. The first part of the original is spoken, so I had to make up the tune based on a combination of the tonal implications in the voice & the accompaniment.

Return to “General Chit Chat”