things that settle on your computer screen

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
magentaflame

things that settle on your computer screen

Post by magentaflame »

I just wrote in the Word association thread and couldn't think why i would spell "together" as "togethef" . Went back and corrected it. Then I couldn't work out why my "r" on my keyboard was typing as an 'f". It wasn't . I scrolled up and worked out I had a piece of something on my screen. ....... yes yes I'm cleaning it in a minute. Might vaccum the keyboard as well.

How many times do you guys clean your screen. Is there a proper maintenance thingy for a computer? Is it expected that people send it off for proper cleaning? Do you get "a man " in to clean it properly? How much gunk can a keyboard hold in it's casing?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Re: things that settle on your computer screen

Post by spot »

The keyboard for your biscuit-eater is often coated inside with damp blue-mouldered crumbs, hair and flaked skin which occasionally writhes on its own accord, while those prone to colds should alcohol-wipe their monitor daily to keep the colour values at least approximately right. I'm often asked why there's no red showing in graphics. Green-yellow filtering does that.

The answer for laptop keyboards is replacement, that's £20. Desktop keyboards you can pop the keys off, unscrew the casing, take out and wipe the flexible innards and put all the solid plastics through the dishwasher. Do not do this with the monitor.

Neat alcohol from methyl to propyl is safe on any computer surface other than inbuilt speakers. Do not use water, acetone, ether, aldehydes, acetates or halogenated organics.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

magentaflame wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:12 am I just wrote in the Word association thread and couldn't think why i would spell "together" as "togethef" . Went back and corrected it. Then I couldn't work out why my "r" on my keyboard was typing as an 'f". It wasn't . I scrolled up and worked out I had a piece of something on my screen. ....... yes yes I'm cleaning it in a minute. Might vaccum the keyboard as well.

How many times do you guys clean your screen. Is there a proper maintenance thingy for a computer? Is it expected that people send it off for proper cleaning? Do you get "a man " in to clean it properly? How much gunk can a keyboard hold in it's casing?
I'm always getting exactly the same problem. It's even worse when I'm scoring my music. I see a note that doesn't belong, so I go to delete it, only to find it's a remainder of a sneeze or something.

I keep a roll of Kitchen Towel by my screen with a bottle of Car Windscreen Cleaner. Just spray the screen & give a good wipe down.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

FourPart wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:10 pm
magentaflame wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:12 am I just wrote in the Word association thread and couldn't think why i would spell "together" as "togethef" . Went back and corrected it. Then I couldn't work out why my "r" on my keyboard was typing as an 'f". It wasn't . I scrolled up and worked out I had a piece of something on my screen. ....... yes yes I'm cleaning it in a minute. Might vaccum the keyboard as well.

I'm always getting exactly the same problem. It's even worse when I'm scoring my music. I see a note that doesn't belong, so I go to delete it, only to find it's a remainder of a sneeze or something.

I keep a roll of Kitchen Towel by my screen with a bottle of Car Windscreen Cleaner. Just spray the screen & give a good wipe down.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I feel your pain.
I've been scoring music lately. (if that's what you call it) I had the tabs for a one stringed canja guitar for "blue eyes crying in the rain" ...found it doesn't quite work on a 3 stringed cigar box . So I'm rewriting the tabs for the 3 stringed. Gee it's an effort for a person who doesn't know anything about music except to say it "kinda sounds right" lol
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:15 pm
I've been scoring music lately. (if that's what you call it) I had the tabs for a one stringed canja guitar for "blue eyes crying in the rain" ...found it doesn't quite work on a 3 stringed cigar box . So I'm rewriting the tabs for the 3 stringed. Gee it's an effort for a person who doesn't know anything about music except to say it "kinda sounds right" lol
Transcribing tab from one instrument to another is a two stage process, convert the tab to notes and then convert the notes to the new tab - that is unless you play both instruments by ear and can just play the tune and write down what you play:-)

Best of luck, I’d love to hear the results.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:51 pm
Transcribing tab from one instrument to another is a two stage process, convert the tab to notes and then convert the notes to the new tab - that is unless you play both instruments by ear and can just play the tune and write down what you play:-)

I'm sorry I don't know about notes. this is the extent of my knowledge.
1, I can tune by ear. I hear your letters by ear. You don't need to tell me what letter goes with the sound I just know the sound, or what a sound or in your words note sounds like.............if that makes sense.
2, 0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11.12. fret lines
3, three strings. Open G
4, I read the music like this-
-----4-----0-----4-----0-----4-----0---------
-----0-----------0------------0-----------0--- <------that is the intro to hank williams I'm so lonesome i could die.
-----0-----------0------------0..........-0---
It makes more sense to me. I don't understand letters with music. Finger positions and numbers just makes more sense. don't ask me why
Chords are finger positions to me and on a 3 string it's easy. One thing I can't fix is short fingers. but once again hence the 3 string.

5, I watch . then I copy and make my own stuff up to add to what they are doing.
Like this. I ignore what he is saying and just watch his hands because it's already figured out in my head . I should be able to play this within the month

i'm writing a song at the moment to thank all the people who have taught me stuff on youtube. But I have to finish the Blue eyes song first.

------------5---------------------5-----4--------------------------------------------------
-----9----------9-----0----5----------------5-----7----9------7------0-----5-----7-----9
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
____In__the_twilight__glow_I__see_her__Blue eyes _cry__in____in__the_rain.

the original 1 string is this ... 5----6----5----0----------3-----6---5--4---3

I'll embelish it later .
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm

1, I can tune by ear. I hear your letters by ear. You don't need to tell me what letter goes with the sound I just know the sound, or what a sound or in your words note sounds like.............if that makes sense.
3, three strings. Open G
-----0-----------0------------0-----------0--- <------that is the intro to hank williams I'm so lonesome i could die.
It makes more sense to me. I don't understand letters with music. Finger positions and numbers just makes more sense. don't ask me why
Chords are finger positions to me and on a 3 string it's easy. One thing I can't fix is short fingers. but once again hence the 3 string.

5, I watch . then I copy and make my own stuff up to add to what they are doing.
Like this. I ignore what he is saying and just watch his hands because it's already figured out in my head . I should be able to play this within the month

i'm writing a song at the moment to thank all the people who have taught me stuff on youtube. But I have to finish the Blue eyes song first.

------------5---------------------5-----4--------------------------------------------------
-----9----------9-----0----5----------------5-----7----9------7------0-----5-----7-----9
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll embelish it later .
So one of the fortunate ones who can use the second method :-)

I used to play guitar and octave mandolin using tab because my sight reading was never good enough to play the tadpoles. I can happily follow the tab you’ve put down for the three string but I don’t know the canna at all, does it have odd fretting?

My eldest makes and plays cigar boxes and he’s just teaching himself to wind pick-ups for them. He’s used to winding the coils for his tattoo machines but needs to work out directions of rotation, wire size, etc. to get the best sound.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:58 pm
magentaflame wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm

3, three strings. Open G

I'll embelish it later .
So one of the fortunate ones who can use the second method :-)

I used to play guitar and octave mandolin using tab because my sight reading was never good enough to play the tadpoles. I can happily follow the tab you’ve put down for the three string but I don’t know the canna at all, does it have odd fretting?

My eldest makes and plays cigar boxes and he’s just teaching himself to wind pick-ups for them. He’s used to winding the coils for his tattoo machines but needs to work out directions of rotation, wire size, etc. to get the best sound.
I think this guy can explain it . The' Didderly Bow' is a Canjo.

Return to “General Chit Chat”