Buttigieg's Campaign Issuing Donation Refunds on Demand

Discuss the latest political news.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Why? Because as the campaign has moved forward, many progressives who donated to his campaign say they are now disappointed in his rhetoric lately, citing his changes mainly on healthcare and college tuition. It certainly didn't help by labeling the small donations both Warren and Sanders have courted and depended on as "pocket change".

Straddling the fence between corporate and populist interests has always been tricky, however, today it appears to be toxic. Though they initially viewed South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg as an intriguing and progressive newcomer when he began his presidential campaign early this year, the #RefundPete hashtag began trending Thursday morning on social media as a growing number of former donors started requesting their donations back in the wake of recent revelations about the 2020 Democratic candidate. https://www.truthdig.com/articles/pete- ... -a-refund/
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1528709 wrote: Why? Because as the campaign has moved forward, many progressives who donated to his campaign say they are now disappointed in his rhetoric lately, citing his changes mainly on healthcare and college tuition. It certainly didn't help by labeling the small donations both Warren and Sanders have courted and depended on as "pocket change".

Straddling the fence between corporate and populist interests has always been tricky, however, today it appears to be toxic. https://www.truthdig.com/articles/pete- ... -a-refund/

That boy was a looser from the get go.

“If Pete Buttigieg fooled you into thinking he was a progressive at the beginning of his campaign and you donated what he thinks is pocket change, you can ask for a refund by emailing your receipt

REALY?

There was a time I donated modest amounts of money and time for politicians I though worthy and never expected a refund should we lose.

No wonder that boy lost exhibiting such illogic.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I'm kinda with Tude on this.

The Dem Clown car is careening down the slope at breakneck speed, and bodies are flying everywhere.

At this point, I plan, to wait and see who they actually come up with after the primaries. But, my prime voting choice is already decided. Whoever is "NOT Trump" will most likely get my vote.

Hell, I'd vote for Vladimir, before I'd vote for The Donald.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1528717 wrote: I'm kinda with Tude on this.Perhaps you can explain to me what "tude" actually said other than his ad hominem that "[t]hat boy was a loser from the get go"? When, in "tude's" opinion all Democrats are losers from the get-go. Is that the part you're "kinda with Tude on" or is it his anecdote? The last sentence is nonsensical, so I doubt it would be that sentiment, though one never knows these days.

Maybe I'm being too literal and there's some sort of nuance in his post that I'm missing?

I'm being sincere here. "Tude" really didn't say anything useful or relevant to the discussion whatsoever. It's easy for some to look past that fact since it's such a common occurance with "Tude". But encouraging him? "Really"?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1528739 wrote: Perhaps you can explain to me what "tude" actually said other than his ad hominem that "[t]hat boy was a loser from the get go"? When, in "tude's" opinion all Democrats are losers from the get-go. Is that the part you're "kinda with Tude on" or is it his anecdote? The last sentence is nonsensical, so I doubt it would be that sentiment, though one never knows these days.

Maybe I'm being too literal and there's some sort of nuance in his post that I'm missing?

I'm being sincere here. "Tude" really didn't say anything useful or relevant to the discussion whatsoever. It's easy for some to look past that fact since it's such a common occurance with "Tude". But encouraging him? "Really"?

Buttigieg, as well as several of the others are basically cannon fodder.

They have some good ideas and they talk a good talk at the beginning, but they don't have sustaining power. And, unless they have a solid strategy, which includes everybody working together, the Dems are going to fall on their faces, to serve as a nice new doormat for the Trumpster to wipe his feet on as he steps into the White House for a second term.

I read his comments on education and Charter schools, and he makes a couple of good points, but right now, even the hint of favor for Charter school education sets off the radical Dems. He should have seen that coming.

These guys (Dems) need to work on building a strategy for the Party to gain a handle on the Senate, without losing ground in the House, and work on bringing the biggest Gun they can find to put up against tRump in the Presidential election. I don't see even a hint of solidarity in that Clown Car, yet. Just a repeat of the GOP antics of 2015-2016.

And the Dem strategy has got to be not terribly radical, so as to not scare off any reasonable conservatives who really want to abandon the SS Donald before the election.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1528717 wrote:

Hell, I'd vote for Vladimir, before I'd vote for The Donald.

Really? It is hard to stay sane in this atmosphere but do so we must. Vlad has actually had people killed who disagree, particularly the Fourth Estate. So please, despite our delirium let's not get too careless. Thank you.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1528746 wrote: Really? It is hard to stay sane in this atmosphere but do so we must. Vlad has actually had people killed who disagree, particularly the Fourth Estate. So please, despite our delirium let's not get too careless. Thank you.

You may be right, Anne. That might be a rhetorical step too far.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I don't know why you quoted me, and there's quite a bit more that I'd normally address in your post, but won't. LarsMac;1528740 wrote: Buttigieg, as well as several of the others are basically cannon fodder.To what end?

LarsMac;1528740 wrote: These guys (Dems) need to work on building a strategy for the Party to gain a handle on the Senate, without losing ground in the House, and work on bringing the biggest Gun they can find to put up against tRump in the Presidential election. I don't see even a hint of solidarity in that Clown Car, yet. Just a repeat of the GOP antics of 2015-2016.

And the Dem strategy has got to be not terribly radical, so as to not scare off any reasonable conservatives who really want to abandon the SS Donald before the election.This is the problem with team politics. As dumb as members on Team Red appear in their reasoning, Team Blue members appear just as dumb. Instead of rooting for Team Blue to work out a better strategy, why not just vote one's conscience? So what if your choice looses the election. It can't get any worse than it already is.

Since 1979, this mindset of voting team politics has brought us a combination of red and blue disasters. First a president with dementia, then a bully, then a pedophile, then the bully's son, then a coward, and finally culminating in a combination of all of the previous ones mentioned. So, rather than asking what color team occupies our government offices, it should be "who" occupies them.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1528809 wrote: I don't know why you quoted me, and there's quite a bit more that I'd normally address in your post, but won't. To what end?

This is the problem with team politics. As dumb as members on Team Red appear in their reasoning, Team Blue members appear just as dumb. Instead of rooting for Team Blue to work out a better strategy, why not just vote one's conscience? So what if your choice looses the election. It can't get any worse than it already is.

Since 1979, this mindset of voting team politics has brought us a combination of red and blue disasters. First a president with dementia, then a bully, then a pedophile, then the bully's son, then a coward, and finally culminating in a combination of all of the previous ones mentioned. So, rather than asking what color team occupies our government offices, it should be "who" occupies them.

Team politics?

There is the problem. The type of person who really wants to be President is flawed. They are not team players.

They only cooperate when they can see the opportunity to advance their own cause. And they think that the best way to win the race is to trip up the other runners.

There is no TEAM in POLITICS
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1528900 wrote: Team politics?AKA Party Politics. We're all familiar with that term.

I'm calling it Team Politics to alert attention to the idea that our politics is designed around American conditioning from our youth of good guys versus bad guys, white hats versus black hats. In politics, it's Team Red vs Team Blue, and why we have only two choices in our politics. The system is designed to divide us.

This is why attack ads work so well, and why we enjoy squabbling so much. Just look at today's headlines and see how many of them draw attention based on adversarial arguing from last night's debate show. We like to fight.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Max Blumenthal has done some digging into Pete Buttigieg. This dude and his associates are seriously dangerous people. I'll let the piece speak for itself. It's a bit comprehensive so grab a warm cup of coffee or tea and settle in. It's well worth the time. We are talking about someone who just might become president, and if not that, he will most definitely continue to operate within the network he does now. After college, the Democratic presidential hopeful took a gig with a strategic communications firm founded by a former secretary of defense who raked in contracts with the arms industry. He moved on to a fellowship at an influential D.C. think tank described by its founder as “a counterpart to the neoconservatives of the 1970s.” Today, Buttigieg sits on that think tank’s board of advisors alongside some of the country’s most accomplished military interventionists.

Buttigieg has reaped the rewards of his dedication to the Beltway playbook. He recently became the top recipient of donations from staff members of the Department of Homeland Security, the State Department and the Justice Department – key cogs in the national security state’s permanent bureaucracy.

His Harvard social network has been a critical factor in his rise as well, with college buddies occupying key campaign roles as outside policy advisers and strategists. One of his closest friends from school is today the senior adviser of a specialized unit of the State Department focused on fomenting regime change abroad.

[...]

More recently, Buttigieg’s campaign pledged to “balance our commitment to end endless wars with the recognition that total isolationism is self-defeating in the long run.” This was the sort of Beltway doublespeak that defined the legacy of Barack Obama, another youthful, self-styled outsider from the Midwest who campaigned on his opposition to the Iraq war, only to sign off on more calamitous wars in the Middle East after he entered the White House.

On the presidential campaign trail, “Mayor Pete” has done his best to paper over the instincts he inherited from his benefactors among the national security state. But as the campaign drags on, his interventionist tendencies are increasingly exposed. Having padded his resume in America’s longest and most futile wars, he may be poised to extend them for a new generation to fight. https://consortiumnews.com/2019/12/19/t ... is-future/

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

This guy is dangerous.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

A good read.Caitlin Johnstone wrote: Claiming that it isn’t necessary to choose between revolution and the status quo is claiming that you can change the status quo without any kind of revolution. You are saying that the establishment which has created and reinforced the status quo can now suddenly, for some strange and mysterious reason, be counted upon to change it. That the status quo will change the status quo.

Anyone who has paid attention to U.S. politics for more than a few years already knows that this is objectively false. From administration to administration, regardless of who sits in the Oval Office or who controls the House or the Senate, the status quo has been adamantly enforced along a rigid trajectory toward ever-increasing military expansionism, exploitative neoliberal economic policies, income and wealth inequality, police militarization, mass-scale imprisonment, Orwellian surveillance programs and increasing restrictions on journalism and free speech.

Change is not going to come from those institutions, it’s going to come from the people using the power of their numbers to force important changes that those institutions do not want to make. And Pete Buttigieg knows this. And so do the spooks and oligarchs who are backing him.

It is very appropriate that a military intelligence officer with ties to the CIA, who is beloved by intelligence/defense agency insiders and who appears to have been groomed by national security mandarins from the very beginning of his career, should be actively working to kill a revolutionary zeitgeist. After all, backing counter-revolutionaries is a favorite CIA activity. https://consortiumnews.com/2020/02/11/p ... exclusive/

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Current Political Events”