Sequestering carbon

spot

Sequestering carbon

Post by spot »

I have a suggestion.

There's a resonant electromagnetic frequency at which carbon dioxide dissociates into a molecule of oxygen and a very reactive free carbon atom. What the carbon atom usually does is to grab the nearest oxygen molecule and bind to it, but not if it's offered a carbon bond as an alternative.

So if we provide a transparent flat carbon substrate and beam a tuned laser through from beneath, to skim the substrate surface along the underside, all carbon dioxide coming into contact with the surface will dissociate, the oxygen will remain in the gas and the carbon will build up the substrate surface. At around 100 atoms a second at any particular location if my sums are right, given an uninterrupted supply of 400ppm carbon dioxide blown along the gas-solid interface.

That's a deposition rate of 30cm a year building up the transparent solid carbon phase.

So with enough laser output tuned to the right frequency, and a 10x10km platform seeded with 10 atoms thickness of substrate to channel the energy, and some very heavy-duty fans blowing the air, I reckon we can sequester the whole of the UK's CO2 emissions in real-time.

Whether we can subsequently find a use for the annual foot-thick transparent hundred-square-kilometer carbon deposit which is left behind I'm not sure. We'd need to think of a use for that. Heavy duty double glazing panels perhaps.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Sequestering carbon

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1524012 wrote: I have a suggestion.

There's a resonant electromagnetic frequency at which carbon dioxide dissociates into a molecule of oxygen and a very reactive free carbon atom. What the carbon atom usually does is to grab the nearest oxygen molecule and bind to it, but not if it's offered a carbon bond as an alternative.

So if we provide a transparent flat carbon substrate and beam a tuned laser through from beneath, to skim the substrate surface along the underside, all carbon dioxide coming into contact with the surface will dissociate, the oxygen will remain in the gas and the carbon will build up the substrate surface. At around 100 atoms a second at any particular location if my sums are right, given an uninterrupted supply of 400ppm carbon dioxide blown along the gas-solid interface.

That's a deposition rate of 30cm a year building up the transparent solid carbon phase.

So with enough laser output tuned to the right frequency, and a 10x10km platform seeded with 10 atoms thickness of substrate to channel the energy, and some very heavy-duty fans blowing the air, I reckon we can sequester the whole of the UK's CO2 emissions in real-time.

Whether we can subsequently find a use for the annual foot-thick transparent hundred-square-kilometer carbon deposit which is left behind I'm not sure. We'd need to think of a use for that. Heavy duty double glazing panels perhaps.

find a way to apply pressure, and produce industrial Diamond product?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Sequestering carbon

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1524015 wrote: find a way to apply pressure, and produce industrial Diamond product?

I think the free carbon atoms will naturally build a diamond lattice if they're deposited right on the boundary, I don't think it needs pressure. The surface will be extremely reactive because of the laser dissociating the surface bonds. All you end up with is a single 500 trillion trillion carat obelisk.

Yes, I did check all the numbers as I was writing.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Earth Changes”