Leak of emails from the UK ambassador in Washington

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Post by spot »

The extraordinary leak of diplomatic briefings from the British Ambassador in Washington to the Prime Minister's office in London coincides with the final month of access to such documents by Theresa May's very small team of political advisers. It can't be hard to work out which one has a sense of humor, I don't for a minute think it was a civil servant which is today's press deflection.

Donald Trump 'inept' and 'dysfunctional', UK ambassador to US says

Trump administration is 'inept and insecure', says UK ambassador
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I don't know who did the leaking, but Darroch's assessment seems spot on from what I can see. It's basically a three-person show of Donald, Ivanka, and Jared while everyone else appears to be just occupying chairs for pleasing the base supporters.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

If someone suggest fargage should be the ambassador and boris is prime minister I think the UK is done for.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Oh bloody hell...as you Brits would say. Who cares who leaked them? They were accurate and his honest opinion. And I thought they were spot on.

so the Trumpists (See: racists and misogynists) are embarrassed by it. Shouldn't they be more embarrassed that our best ally thinks our president is a buffoon?

I was actually really mad that the poor chap, who was asked for his opinion, may now have to resign for being honest about it.
spot

Post by spot »

The Metropolitan Police have threatened any subject of Her Majesty with prosecution should that subject spread more leaked diplomatic emails from the UK ambassador in the US in public.

I think they have stepped beyond the limit of their jurisdiction in doing that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Whever did it had the intention of possibly forcing the resignation of the ambassador and was most definitelly did not have the best interests of the country as a motive. Those opublishing it knew the likely consequences amd must have known such communications from the ambassador have to be confidential. Now we have a situation where the us president is dictating who our ambassador should be and a spineless soon to be prime minister (or so it would seem) refusing to stand up to to him.

The papers that poublished the initial story are right wing and hardly in a position to take the moral high ground over this.
spot

Post by spot »

gmc;1523892 wrote: The papers that poublished the initial story are right wing and hardly in a position to take the moral high ground over this.

That depends on whether you feel there was and is a public interest being served in the publication. The leaker is of course criminal, the publisher is quite certainly not.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1523893 wrote: That depends on whether you feel there was and is a public interest being served in the publication. The leaker is of course criminal, the publisher is quite certainly not.

In this case I don't see how they can claim a public interest it was quite clearly imo politically motivated. It was done to cause harm to the ambassador. Correspondence between an ambassador and their government must be confidential and honest. We have now had the a situation where an amerucan president is dictating to us who should be our ambassador and one of the contenders for leadership of the tory partyy kowtowing to said president.
spot

Post by spot »

The President is not engaged in politics, he is a part of the entertainment industry. He has invented the newest biggest badest reality event and every day he wakes up and chooses how to hit the headlines. That's what he does, that's what he's good at, that's what he knows. He's as political as the average rodent, politics is what politicians do. The President is a showman. If you're reading about what he just tweeted, that's why he tweeted. He didn't tweet because it would help America or the world at large, he did it because he's manipulating the media.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I think the only one Trump is likely manipulating is himself. The media is using him, not the other way around.

I found myself as a captive audience of FOX for a bit today while awaiting my vehicle inspection. All they talk about is the soaring stock market and give Trump credit for it. The corporate capitalists are riding this horse until it collapses, which is what they do with all presidents.

How anyone could feel proud to have this menacing bombast sitting in the Oval Office is beyond me.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1523915 wrote: I think the only one Trump is likely manipulating is himself. The media is using him, not the other way around.

I found myself as a captive audience of FOX for a bit today while awaiting my vehicle inspection. All they talk about is the soaring stock market and give Trump credit for it. The corporate capitalists are riding this horse until it collapses, which is what they do with all presidents.

How anyone could feel proud to have this menacing bombast sitting in the Oval Office is beyond me.

Funny. I was watching the NASDAQ and Dow, today. I didn't see much "soaring"

I do not understand how any Republican can sit by and let this bumbling clown continue to run the country into the ground.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1523918 wrote: Funny. I was watching the NASDAQ and Dow, today. I didn't see much "soaring"

I do not understand how any Republican can sit by and let this bumbling clown continue to run the country into the ground.

Yeah! They kept saying the market was breaking records while the ticker was showing a lot of drops. The stock market is a con anyway.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1523913 wrote: The President is not engaged in politics, he is a part of the entertainment industry. He has invented the newest biggest badest reality event and every day he wakes up and chooses how to hit the headlines. That's what he does, that's what he's good at, that's what he knows. He's as political as the average rodent, politics is what politicians do. The President is a showman. If you're reading about what he just tweeted, that's why he tweeted. He didn't tweet because it would help America or the world at large, he did it because he's manipulating the media.

Unfortunately he is not starring in a reality show this is actually real. Nazi racist ideology may be nonsense to anyone with half a brain unfortunately there are many who fall for it. Not saying trump is a hitler but he seems to have the same playbook.
spot

Post by spot »

He has an audience, he has people like KellyAnn who go out and create mayhem deliberately when he tells them to, he orchestrates outrage to drive the topic of the day and to leave the audience coming back tomorrow to find out what happens. That's all reality, yes, and it's all aimed at increasing his voter turnout next year. What else would you expect him to be doing.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

every time folks start to focus on his latest actual threat to Democracy, he tweets, and the whole country goes all a-twitter over it.

Like living next to a tree full of Grackles.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I don't think he's an "actual threat to Democracy", I think he's an opportunist storyteller reacting on the fly to what people are discussing. He's posing, he has no intention, he has no destination, he's just maximizing his visibility from a prominent platform. He's acting.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1523952 wrote: I don't think he's an "actual threat to Democracy", I think he's an opportunist storyteller reacting on the fly to what people are discussing. He's posing, he has no intention, he has no destination, he's just maximizing his visibility from a prominent platform. He's acting.

The threat to democracy is the gaggle of enablers, and tag-alongs that have gathered in his wake.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1523961 wrote: The threat to democracy is the gaggle of enablers, and tag-alongs that have gathered in his wake.

They'd exist in every administration, Shirley. Why do you think the Palestinians have been so utterly screwed this last half century. What do you think Kissinger was when it came to death squads in South America, or Ollie North to the Nicaraguans.

Return to “Current Political Events”