The Presidential Election of 2020

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Post by spot »

Perhaps we should consider the platforms of the assorted candidates.

I usually start a thread like this with a photo but I'm a bit stuck this time.

This will do to be going on with.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

I've started trimming down the list on the basis of who has policies I like and much to my surprise I've found one. Point after point, tick tick tick, what a great potential President. So, who else likes what Tulsi Gabbard is offering.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I just can't wait to hear how some of the Democrats plan to pay for all the reparations (Gay & Slavery), free tuitions, forgiven student loan, free healthcare ( I agree with this one) etc. etc.

They sound like they are bribing for votes.

I'm going to check out Gabbard now.
spot

Post by spot »

YZGI;1523593 wrote: [...] free tuitions, [...]

"The free tuition would be funded by a new tax on trading stocks and bonds", which might also succeed in toning down the capacity of automated trading to wreck an exchange in seconds if it goes into a runaway AI-driven spiral.

And I quite liked In November 2018, after Trump indicated the U.S. would not sanction Saudi Arabia over the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, Gabbard tweeted at Trump, "being Saudi Arabia's bitch is not 'America First.'"

And she's the only candidate since ever who hasn't waved their Personal Jesus on demand. Pavlovian Christianity is more apparent in American Presidential Hopefuls than in any other sub-group on the planet, and I do not exclude employees of the Vatican.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I like the idea of forgiving a lot of the student loan debt.

When I made my loans they were federal sanctioned loans with very low interest rates.

Now days the interest rates are monstrous. almost as bad as the paycheck loans.

Controlling interest rates, and preventing the predatory lenders from taking part in student loan programs would be a long-term solution that I could gt behind.

I cannot see how they will push through any real tax on trading. It's a nice idea, but the Wall-Streeters are not going to go for that.

I am in "wait and see" mode for all these guys.

The Dems seem to have their own Clown-Car routine going, this year.

"Welcome my friends, to the show that never ends,..."

[sigh]

Though whoever ends up in the driver's seat of that jalopy will likely get my vote.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I also note the following comment:

Buttigieg's resume was enough to get New York Times columnist Frank Bruni to muse in June 2016 that the mayor appeared laboratory-built to be the perfect Democratic candidate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canad ... 6200809-sa

And yes, I think he probably is. America could go back to having a clever non-confrontational President with a social platform.

As for "a new tax on trading stocks and bonds", perhaps the new tax could be applied to all trades where the stock or bond is held for less than an hour before being resold. Trading stocks and bonds is not a social problem, but profiteering from mathematical models doesn't help any part of society at all.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1523593 wrote: I just can't wait to hear how some of the Democrats plan to pay for all the reparations (Gay & Slavery), free tuitions, forgiven student loan, free healthcare ( I agree with this one) etc. etc.

They sound like they are bribing for votes.

I'm going to check out Gabbard now.

It isn't necessary to pay for it when all that needs to happen is to wipe it off the books of the banks just like it was written onto the books of the banks.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1523591 wrote: I've started trimming down the list on the basis of who has policies I like and much to my surprise I've found one. Point after point, tick tick tick, what a great potential President. So, who else likes what Tulsi Gabbard is offering.

I like Gabbard on foreign policy, however, she isn't progressive enough on domestic policy. I think she might make an excellent Secretary Of State or some other important foreign policy advisory position.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Sanders is the closest thing to progressive, with Warren running second, in my book. I doubt I'd vote for any of the others, most of which are corporate Democrats, otherwise known as Moderate Republicans.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

I do wish voters would just discount candidates over pensionable age, it would make things so much less geriatric.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Why? The most visionary people, in this case, are older. They'll bring youth in with them. Sanders inspired AOC.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Here's a word-sketch of these old candidates. Cantankerous, minds already made up, fighting battles left over from fifty years ago, preoccupied with win or lose rather than invent. You don't need a committee chairman whose energies ran out decades ago, you need someone in his or her prime. Hence my 42 year age cap suggestion a while back to focus the nation.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

You're just feeling your age. Politicians don't function in a vacuum. Most young ones get pawned by the elders - gate-keepers of the system, evidenced by the pressure on the younger female representatives newly elected within the Democratic party. This "get along" bs they constantly hear.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1523611 wrote: It isn't necessary to pay for it when all that needs to happen is to wipe it off the books of the banks just like it was written onto the books of the banks.

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1523667 wrote:

I have no idea what you're attempting to convey, but then again, I doubt you do either.

In any event, here's an opportunity to educate yourself. http://wfhummel.net/

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Karl Marx is being portrayed as a Capitalist for some reason, possibly in the setting of a game of Monopoly. While that's my best guess I have no idea why he should be in this or any other context.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Gabbard made a good showing of herself on Bill Maher's show. I was impressed, but she's not getting any coverage at all from the corporate media here. They're propping up Harris and Buttigieg as they reluctantly and slowly write off Biden. They're giving Warren some mention because they have to due to her polling numbers and fundraising. They are doing their ever best to minimize Sanders by talking dollars raised as opposed to popularity in polls.

Both sides of the corporate media are so corrupt and manipulative. It's sickening.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1523743 wrote: Karl Marx is being portrayed as a Capitalist for some reason, possibly in the setting of a game of Monopoly. While that's my best guess I have no idea why he should be in this or any other context.

I can see your interpretation but that was not what I was after. Reading Ahso! the comment sounded like some Marxist magic. I googled Marx Magician images and went this one.

I looked into where it came from not that it matters.

Banker Quotes Karl Marx

“Give Karl Marx a Chance to Save the World Economy,” George Magnus, Bloomberg

This entry was posted on September 14, 2011
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1523747 wrote: I can see your interpretation but that was not what I was after. Reading Ahso! the comment sounded like some Marxist magic. I googled Marx Magician images and went this one.

Marxism is solely concerned, from first word to final word, with giving the manual worker political control of his destiny. The working class is traditionally paid a fixed wage while the capitalist takes all the cream off the top of the endeavour while making no contribution to production. It was that creaming of profit which Marx intended to eliminate. He didn't regard his proposals as magic, he called his proposals a fair distribution of the product of labor.

If you think Marx was anyone else I'd love to hear your description.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1523747 wrote: I can see your interpretation but that was not what I was after. Reading Ahso! the comment sounded like some Marxist magic. I googled Marx Magician images and went this one.

I looked into where it came from not that it matters.

Banker Quotes Karl Marx

“Give Karl Marx a Chance to Save the World Economy,” George Magnus, Bloomberg

This entry was posted on September 14, 2011

I was correct that you had no idea what you were talking about. I doubt you bothered to read the text of the page you linked to. Perhaps you'll use the links to educate yourself one day?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1523748 wrote: Marxism is solely concerned, from first word to final word, with giving the manual worker political control of his destiny. The working class is traditionally paid a fixed wage while the capitalist takes all the cream off the top of the endeavour while making no contribution to production. It was that creaming of profit which Marx intended to eliminate. He didn't regard his proposals as magic, he called his proposals a fair distribution of the product of labor.

If you think Marx was anyone else I'd love to hear your description.

Learning about Marx has changed my views on economics.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

I am like everyone in USA overwhelmed by so many young democrats thinking they can save our USA. They want to pick one subject, study it well and ding-dong it to death. Makes them look like they are educated on all the problems. This country is so complex it is something that cannot be rehabbed in a few days. I did not like the way Miss Harris from Calif. sliced into Biden at the first forum. She set him up then cut him up. Was not impressed by her attitude at all. Biden and Sanders are the only two older men and they know what needs to really be done. The younger generation thinks because they are young they are more alert, smarter, more energetic, blah,blah, blah. The same thing is happening when all the republicans ran in the last election. There were so many that picked the one most known. Bad mistake.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1523748 wrote: Marxism is solely concerned, from first word to final word, with giving the manual worker political control of his destiny. The working class is traditionally paid a fixed wage while the capitalist takes all the cream off the top of the endeavour while making no contribution to production. It was that creaming of profit which Marx intended to eliminate. He didn't regard his proposals as magic, he called his proposals a fair distribution of the product of labor.

If you say so.

spot;1523748 wrote: If you think Marx was anyone else I'd love to hear your description.

Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin and many others around the world since have taken whatever they believed his message was to most disastrous results.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1523754 wrote: I was correct that you had no idea what you were talking about. I doubt you bothered to read the text of the page you linked to. Perhaps you'll use the links to educate yourself one day?

All I wanted was a picture and it didn't work out for me. Oh well.

Just for the heck of it I found and posted where it came from which was of no interest or value to me.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1523762 wrote: All I wanted was a picture and it didn't work out for me. Oh well.

Just for the heck of it I found and posted where it came from which was of no interest or value to me.

Most people steer clear of conversations that hold no interest or value to them rather than allowing themselves to appear foolish by posting irrelevant content. It didn't work out for you because you had no business contributing to a subject thread you know nothing about.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1523763 wrote: Most people steer clear of conversations that hold no interest or value to them rather than allowing themselves to appear foolish by posting irrelevant content. It didn't work out for you because you had no business contributing to a subject thread you know nothing about.

All I wanted was the picture, not the content of the site. There was a question as to if it was Marx the magician or Marx the capitalist. Should have known to let the matter rest but I wnt one step further to show the origin of the picture.

With all that now said the site offered no value to me.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1523764 wrote: All I wanted was the picture, not the content of the site. There was a question as to if it was Marx the magician or Marx the capitalist. Should have known to let the matter rest but I wnt one step further to show the origin of the picture.

With all that now said the site offered no value to me.

You don't understand, do you? Marx has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with what I posted (spot pointed this out to you twice). Just because Marx is relevant to what I posted in your mind, that doesn't mean he is. Had you taken just a moment to research, you might have understood that and thought twice. Slight chance, I know. The only relevant cartoon having to do with magic would be one of you with an illuminated light bulb above your head.

Now that you've managed to steer the thread off topic and onto you, perhaps you'll be polite and either bow out of it or post something relevant to it.

There is no need to respond!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1523761 wrote: [QUOTE=spot;1523748]Marxism is solely concerned, from first word to final word, with giving the manual worker political control of his destiny. The working class is traditionally paid a fixed wage while the capitalist takes all the cream off the top of the endeavour while making no contribution to production. It was that creaming of profit which Marx intended to eliminate. He didn't regard his proposals as magic, he called his proposals a fair distribution of the product of labor.

If you say so.

It's not if I say so, it's what he wrote. It's a testable statement. You can check I'm right.

tude dog;1523761 wrote: Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin and many others around the world since have taken whatever they believed his message was to most disastrous results.Perhaps they did, but you didn't post a caricature of them did you. You posted Marx.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1523766 wrote: You don't understand, do you? Marx has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with what I posted (spot pointed this out to you twice). Just because Marx is relevant to what I posted in your mind, that doesn't mean he is. Had you taken just a moment to research, you might have understood that and thought twice. Slight chance, I know. The only relevant cartoon having to do with magic would be one of you with an illuminated light bulb above your head.

Now that you've managed to steer the thread off topic

Like that's never happen before.

Ahso!;1523766 wrote: and onto you, perhaps you'll be polite and either bow out of it or post something relevant to it.

There is no need to respond!

LOL

Sounded like Marx to me. Maybe I picked the wrong clown, you think?

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1523790 wrote: Sounded like Marx to me.

That's due to the fact that you nothing about US monetary policy or Marxism, which are two very different subjects. That you conflate the two is revealing of the height of your ignorance and that you're doing nothing other than trolling the thread.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1523792 wrote: That's due to the fact that you nothing about US monetary policy or Marxism, which are two very different subjects. That you conflate the two is revealing of the height of your ignorance and that you're doing nothing other than trolling the thread.

OK, I give you your last worthless word.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bridget;1523759 wrote: I am like everyone in USA overwhelmed by so many young democrats thinking they can save our USA. They want to pick one subject, study it well and ding-dong it to death. Makes them look like they are educated on all the problems. This country is so complex it is something that cannot be rehabbed in a few days. I did not like the way Miss Harris from Calif. sliced into Biden at the first forum. She set him up then cut him up. Was not impressed by her attitude at all. Biden and Sanders are the only two older men and they know what needs to really be done. The younger generation thinks because they are young they are more alert, smarter, more energetic, blah,blah, blah. The same thing is happening when all the republicans ran in the last election. There were so many that picked the one most known. Bad mistake.

There is an ideological divide concerning Democrats and in spite of Harris' attack on Biden, the two appear to be very closely aligned, whereas, Sanders and Warren would be more closely aligned, though not as close as Biden and Harris are. What I think we're seeing in this particular instance is the two (Biden and Harris) vying for the attention (and money) of democratic corporate contributors and the corporate media. Harris won that round, but there is a consensus out there and growing that suggests that the media and contributors I mentioned are looking to see a Biden/Harris ticket. That's not a ticket I could vote for, but I'm not a conventional Democrat. In fact, I no longer wish to consider myself a Democrat at all.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

You know you're getting old when you say things like:

Bridget;1523759 wrote: The younger generation thinks because they are young they are more alert, smarter, more energetic, blah,blah, blah.

One day they will say the same about their own kids/grandkids. And the beat goes on....
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1523796 wrote: You know you're getting old when you say things like:

One day they will say the same about their own kids/grandkids. And the beat goes on....

My Generation [Live at Woodstock 1969]
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Gabbard, Sanders, and Warren made good showings again in the second debates. The Neoliberal media and power brokers of the Democratic party don't like any of the three.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

I'll drop this here because it's an indication of the political temperature in America at the moment.

Republican congressman Steve King has tried to defend a proposal for absolutist abortion restrictions on Wednesday by saying that without rape and incest the human race might long since have disappeared.

“What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest?” King told a breakfast meeting in Urbandale, Iowa. “Would there be any population of the world left if we did that? Considering all the wars and all the rapes and pillages that happened throughout all these different nations, I know that I can’t say that I was not a part of a product of that.”

King, who has been praised by Donald Trump as possibly “the world’s most conservative human being”, has sponsored a bill to ban abortion including in cases of rape and incest.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... t-abortion

Though "the world’s most conservative human being" is surely an exaggeration. But a statistical incompetent, definitely.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1524397 wrote: I'll drop this here because it's an indication of the political temperature in America at the moment.

Though "the world’s most conservative human being" is surely an exaggeration. But a statistical incompetent, definitely.

King's God allowed that to happen? Considering God raped Mary, any decedent of Jesus would have been such a product. But then Jesus never passed along his genes.

Because none of us can claim that we're not the product of rape or incest somewhere down the line, that doesn't mean we all are (or even a majority of us for that matter).

Religious conservatives like to straddle every fence they can when it suits their idiotic ideas.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

It's as meaningless a what-if as what if we removed all descendants of people with a W in their name, or people born on the 23rd, or people who drowned.

If you go back and change any single event then everything that happens after the change will be different. Other people will eventually form the entire subsequent population after each individual change. One change does not change one line of descent, it obliterates an entire future world. That's the paradox of affecting the past, not that individuals in the present will wink out one by one.

Your weasel congressman should not be in a position where he can attempt to legislate, he's a manipulative rabble-rousing scoundrel.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I think by Trump's description of King as the "most conservative person" he means "morally just".

I think King is saying that all humans who've ever existed outside God's moral code are prone to commit sin, including rape, incest, and murder (abortion). King believes it is the codifying of his God's moral law into human law that makes people behave righteously moral because the human condition is naturally sinful. So, in King's mind, no matter who is eliminated down the line the results would be the same.

Those of us who actually have even a slight bit of insight into what human nature actually is understands that both Trump and King are incorrect. But this is America, where, among the majority, twelfth-century belief trumps 21st-century knowledge. C'est la vie in these United States.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

For the record, I do not think any relationship between consenting adults is wrong. That includes incest.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1524421 wrote: For the record, I do not think any relationship between consenting adults is wrong. That includes incest.

The moral issue is clouded by what in England we call "positions of trust", which includes teacher-student contact. I expect it could also include adult intergenerational incest. Saying no to mom doesn't get any easier as you get older.

Tho' all the world may frown, and ev'ry friend depart,

She never will forsake us in our need!

Our refuge evermore is still within her heart.

For us her loving sympathy will plead!

Her pure and gentle smile forever cheers our way.

'Tis sweeter and 'tis purer than all other!

When she goes from earth away,

We'll find out while we stray,

A boy's best friend is his mother.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Interesting how far the thing has spread from the original question of whether a woman should have the right to decide whether to carry a pregnancy to term even, and especially when it was the result of actions committed against her will.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1524437 wrote: Interesting how far the thing has spread from the original question of whether a woman should have the right to decide whether to carry a pregnancy to term even, and especially when it was the result of actions committed against her will.

To me, there has got to be a point of when we are talking about person entitled to all the protections that the rest of us have.

The only problem is once such a limit is established when violated who goes to prison?
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1524452 wrote: To me, there has got to be a point of when we are talking about person entitled to all the protections that the rest of us have.

The only problem is once such a limit is established when violated who goes to prison?

By "when" I suppose you mean establishing a limit after which there is a person, and before which there is a cluster of dividing cells or a growing embryo with the potential to become a person.

In deciding who goes to prison if that established limit is exceeded, both American and British law have much the same answer. The abortionists go to prison and the person procuring the abortion goes to prison. That's the current state of the law. I think you'd find everyone on this site would agree that the principle of the established limit is a fair law.

I which case do we have any difference in our position? Is there something you're saying that anyone here might disagree with?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1524452 wrote: To me, there has got to be a point of when we are talking about person entitled to all the protections that the rest of us have.

It seems to me that limit was long ago established, but now people are wanting to change the established law, and go back to when there was only back alleys and coat hangers.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1524460 wrote: It seems to me that limit was long ago established, but now people are wanting to change the established law, and go back to when there was only back alleys and coat hangers.

I understand Roe v Wade to be a privacy case that did not address the question of when life begins. This has been what the right-wing has latched on to in their endeavor to establish conception as life. In the minds of most religious conservatives, a female gives up her right to privacy, in the legal sense, when a male plants his seed in her, thus claiming her (In the unofficial sense, a female surrenders her right to privacy when she becomes attractive and child-bearing able - thus rape). Women are, after all, merely an extension of men, Eve having been created, not out of the dirt as Adam supposedly was, but Adam's rib.

"We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, in this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer." — Roe, 410 U.S. at 159.[53]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1524453 wrote: In deciding who goes to prison if that established limit is exceeded, both American and British law have much the same answer. The abortionists go to prison and the person procuring the abortion goes to prison. That's the current state of the law. I think you'd find everyone on this site would agree that the principle of the established limit is a fair law.

When was it that any male was ever sent to prison for "procuring" an abortion?

pro·cure /prəˈkyo͝or/ verb 1. obtain (something), especially with care or effort. "food procured for the rebels" synonyms: obtain, acquire, get, find, come by, secure, pick up, get possession of; synonyms: be a pimp, be pimping; More informalponce; informalhustle "the police found that he was procuring" 2. Law persuade or cause (someone) to do something. "he procured his wife to sign the agreement"

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

From what authority would you accept an "established" precedent?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Is Joe Biden seriously pulling ahead to become the Democrat candidate?

He ran for President thirty years ago in 1988, he ran again in 2008, and now he's proposing to start a first term as President at the age of 78?

If someone took over at the Kremlin aged 78, Americans would howl derisively and talk about comatose geriatrics like Andropov and Chernenko who were both dead long before they reached that age. Hu Yaobang was viewed as old when he became General Secretary in China at the age of 67, so was Zhao Ziyang at 68, Jiang Zemin at 67, Hu Jintao was 60 and... Joe Biden will be 78?

I'm speechless. The fact that he has so many millstones round his neck on top of that just leaves me baffled. Why on earth is he muddying the waters? What does he hope to get out of it? How does he think the country is going to benefit when the election finally happens?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Caitlin Johnstone's observations and critique of both Joe Biden and the American electorate in her recent piece are spot-on, as Caitlin's usually are."I didn’t watch the last Democratic presidential primary debates because I figured that without Rep. Tulsi Gabbard in there shaking things up it would be a boring, vapid parade of insubstantial verbal foam, and I love myself too much to go through such a horrible ordeal. By all accounts my prediction was correct, but I did miss one thing that’s been making the rounds in video clips for the last couple of days which I find absolutely bizarre."https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2019/09/16 ... -about-it/

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Current Political Events”