UK could ban social media over suicide images

spot

Post by spot »

The background: UK could ban social media over suicide images, minister warns

I'm wondering how it differs from saying the UK will ban trains if the train operators don't stop people throwing themselves under their Intercity engines. Are facebook, instagram and pinternet, to name those mentioned in the article, meant to employ millions of mental health experts to preview every post for its potential health implication?

The long-term answer is that these companies are deploying deep neural nets to recognize potential harm and intervene automatically at the moment of posting, but these nets have to learn what's harmful and what isn't. How does anyone know what's harmful? Either they're experts in mental health or they learn from experience. If you let a neural net follow the online trail of people who suicide then the neural net can eventually predict the potential harm of any new image. If you give the neural net the power to censor all such material on the basis of its prediction then the imagery and text visible through that portal might be reduced. Does that apply to ForumGarden too? Are we meant to develop and deploy that sort of tool here?

I think the minister is talking out of his arse, if anyone would like my opinion.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

I'll offer another thought in passing, also from the BBC - 'I was groomed on Grindr when I was 15'. No you weren't, you stupid prat. Are you incapable of seeing the 18+ registration restriction on Grindr? Either you're competent to use a computer or you're not competent.

What a twerp. And no, I'm not going to open the article, life's too short.

Here, I'll quote the T&C. From the beginning, article 1, page 1, subsection 1...

AGE RESTRICTIONS AND SAFETY. THE GRINDR SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE ONLY FOR ADULTS (INDIVIDUALS AGED 18 YEARS OR OLDER).

NO USE BY UNDERAGE PERSONS. NO PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS (TWENTY-ONE (21) YEARS IN PLACES WHERE EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS IS NOT THE AGE OF MAJORITY) MAY DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY VIEW, POSSESS OR OTHERWISE USE THE GRINDR SERVICES.

YOU MUST BE A LEGAL ADULT. YOU HEREBY AFFIRM AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE CURRENTLY EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS OF AGE OR OVER (TWENTY-ONE (21) YEARS IN PLACES WHERE EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS IS NOT THE AGE OF MAJORITY) AND YOU ARE CAPABLE OF LAWFULLY ENTERING INTO AND PERFORMING ALL THE OBLIGATIONS SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT.

Prat.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1522123 wrote: I'll offer another thought in passing, also from the BBC - 'I was groomed on Grindr when I was 15'. No you weren't, you stupid prat. Are you incapable of seeing the 18+ registration restriction on Grindr? Either you're competent to use a computer or you're not competent.

What a twerp. And no, I'm not going to open the article, life's too short.

Here, I'll quote the T&C. From the beginning, article 1, page 1, subsection 1...

Prat.

Young folks have long been adept at getting around age restrictions.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1522126 wrote: Young folks have long been adept at getting around age restrictions.

Indeed they are. What I object to is when they complain of the consequences having first broken the rules.
farmer.ned1965

Post by farmer.ned1965 »

do you remember the phones 4 u halloween ads scary girl and zombie ?

they tried to get those banned because they were too scary after 327 saddo,s complained to the tv watchdog common sense prevailed though and it moved to the 9pm watershed.

to be honest this government would do anything to get social media tightened up as it wants to spy and monitor what you put on facebook or instagram etc mainly to check for racist crimes online should you use the words like m*zzie or n****r or generally identify yourself as a supporter of the right they even have police in a office busily pouring over a hot computer checking online sites for these sorts of crimes...talk about big brother state
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I think the REAL reason the Government wants to ban Social Media is that they already have control over the Mainstream Media, including the BBC, and that they can't control what gets broadcast of Social Media. For instance, there is currently a gagging order on the BBC not to report too much about the Gilet Jeune crisis in France for fear it would promote similar activity in the UK.

The Mainstream Media & the BBC are blatantly spreading so much Tory Propaganda that one might even take it to be a parody if it weren't so real.

Return to “Computers Internet”