Politics and religion - two subjects to avoid in conversation

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I was told some long time ago that one should avoid at all costs, the subjects of politics and religion on an open forum. To discuss such subjects just encourages fall outs and arguments, which can develop into out and out feuds !

I'm just an ordinary person who uses the internet to gain information about all sorts of things and to patronise certain forums to have conversations with people who may be of like mind. This can sometimes encourage a 'cyber friendship' which can be quite rewarding. There are all sorts of people who go on these 'chat sites' and some of them are actually genuine people !

It may take some time to sort wheat from the chaff though, so one should always play cards close to the chest and always bear in mind that the person you have recently befriended may not be what they seem ! It is such a pity that folk have to be wary like that, but it is actually very sensible to not give out too much information about yourself or where you actually live, nothing that you don't want the whole world to know about. Nothing that could make you a vulnerable target.

Some people never show a photo of themselves, and this has a two fold advantage/disadvantage - if the photo is genuine (which is not always so) then perhaps it can reassure the person one is talking to online that they are talking to the person in the photo. However, there are a lot of people online who post a photo, saying that that is them, when it is some celebrity taken at an awkward angle so you don't realise that it is actually a celebrity ! Oh the world is full of 'con artists'. The thing is, does it really matter what the person looks like ? I, personally, am not that bothered. After all, my attitude is, if somebody wants to hide behind sone facade, that's up to them. It is doubtful, anyway, that you would ever meet up in real life, so why fret about it ?

Anyway, the subject of the thread is avoiding politics and religion, and I'm all for that, certainly for a 'family' type forum. There are forums which do actually cater for political discussions, and some which concentrate on religion. That isn't for me, I prefer a more domestic, friendly, chat-over-the-garden-wall type of forum where people are more at ease and are more cheerful - things can be far too serious in real life, so some of us come online into a 'chat site' to chill out, have a good natter about all sorts, and to enjoy a laugh or two. It is much easier and more pleasant, don't you think ? :-6 ;) :)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I absolutely think that. My FaceBook page shows it. I don't post anything that would make my friends uncomfortable, angry, stressed, or grossed out. Why would I want to do that to my friends? The Good Lord knows that politics today are completely out of control to the point that people are screaming at each other in restaurants.

I don't need that in my life.

Actually, my wife, who has poor health, got so stressed out and worked up by the political situation it actually made her health much worse. I tried to reason with her and tell her not to watch the news or read political posts on Facebook. (I unfollow anyone who posts mean, vicious, or inappropriate things instantly, friend or family, it doesn't matter.) She got mad at me and told me that ignoring the problems was wrong. I replied that I wasn't ignoring the problems, I was just protecting my happiness and mental health. We had a terrible go-round about it.

Now I'm lucky, I spend my day with young men and women who are very unconcerned about world affairs, are usually upbeat, always optimistic, and fun to be around. It's relaxing. I wish everyone could do that once a week, the world would be a better place. She doesn't have that option.

I am glad to say, however, that she recently left FaceBook. (We'll see if she comes back as soon as Trump is gone.)
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am with you Gilly.

The site we bumped into a while ago, is a point in question.

Being the polar opposite to the general consensus on many things on there and I am now backing out slowly due to constant back biting.

This site is much more civilised.

You have just reminded me I should return to my wedding thread and follow through with the promise of photos, I would post them here happily, although not there.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

"BRING BACK THE BIRCH !!! It is a fact that these young people try to avoid pain. They are certainly not keen on receiving physical punishment. OK all you 'spare the rod' people, you 'anti violence' brigade, you people who believe that violence as a punishment for a violent crime is not the answer, well everything else has been tried hasn't it ? Time to bring in legislation concerning corporal punishment. The birch for 17 year olds and over and the cane for 11 to 17 year olds. Apart from it being a painful lesson to young thugs, it would I'm sure be quite a deterrent to any young people who were thinking of carrying a knife. Most other things have been tried, and these young idiots are just laughing, so it's time to get flamin' tough don't you think ?

I firmly believe that if there was a referendum about bringing back corporal punishment, there would be a resounding vote for YES bring back the birch !"

I know what you said is not religious (although it CAN be, i.e. spare the rod & spoil the child) but isn't your comment political, since you do request a referendum? Wanted to remind you we don't live in Singapore, where people are birched, caned & executed for even what is considered minor stuff to us. What's next, public shaming & forced into the pillory?

"The pillory was a device made of a wooden or metal framework erected on a post, with holes for securing the head and hands, formerly used for punishment by public humiliation and often further physical abuse."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillory

Just asking. :lips:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

To Anne, it's the heated deep debating that I try to avoid, in either politics or religion.

"BRING BACK THE BIRCH !!! It is a fact that these young people try to avoid pain. They are certainly not keen on receiving physical punishment. OK all you 'spare the rod' people, you 'anti violence' brigade, you people who believe that violence as a punishment for a violent crime is not the answer, well everything else has been tried hasn't it ? Time to bring in legislation concerning corporal punishment. The birch for 17 year olds and over and the cane for 11 to 17 year olds. Apart from it being a painful lesson to young thugs, it would I'm sure be quite a deterrent to any young people who were thinking of carrying a knife. Most other things have been tried, and these young idiots are just laughing, so it's time to get flamin' tough don't you think ?

As I've said - most other things have been tried, and the thugs just laugh because they know we can't do anything. Well as far as I can see, that just leaves physical punishment, something that the cowardly scum will pay attention to - they don't like pain.

Something radical has got to be done to try to stop this increase in knife crime.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

To Anne, it's the heated deep debating that I try to avoid, in either politics or religion.
Ted

Post by Ted »

In ancient times politics and religion were one and the same thing.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Ted;1519763 wrote: In ancient times politics and religion were one and the same thing.

Getting that way today.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

To me, both religion an politics are fair game.

I see no problem to open discussion of religion. Just the same, politics is necessarily reported in the daily news.

How the two interact should be of interest to everybody, but then we could ignore both.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
gmc

Post by gmc »

If you are not willing to talk about politics or religion then you leave the field open o those who want to impose their own particular viewpoint, or belief system call it what you will, thinking they have your agreement. The only reason we enjoy the freedom to disagree about religion or politics and go your own way is because people in the past have been prepared to stand up and argue with the priest or the king who at one time we were told was appointed by god.

Indeed it is the very same part of the bible recently cited by the US attorney general to justify separating children from their parents at the american border.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... ts-n883296

Persons who violate the law of our nation are subject to prosecution ... I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13 to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained the government for his purposes," Sessions said. "Orderly and lawful processes are good in themselves ... and protect the weak and it protects the lawful."

If it is accepted that it is against god's law to argue with the president because he is appointed by god --- see where this is going?

For once I totally agree with tude dog

To me, both religion an politics are fair game.

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, we have always had an unwritten rule in our family that politics and religion are off limits at family gatherings, Holiday Dinners/Picnics, Weddings, Funerals, Baptisms, Mitzvas, Graduations, and the like.

Great Grandma would take the broom to any group who dared get into such a discussion. Outside of family functions, they were fair game.

Work Functions have always had a similar "unwritten rule"

Many of the people I work with have vastly different notions and I have, on occasion, found my professional respect for some to suffer when I found out their political or religious views, so I learned to avoid such discussions in work environs.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ted

Post by Ted »

LarsMac a very wise position.
gmc

Post by gmc »

The best way to learn about religion and politics is to discuss it with people who share completely different viewpoints from your own. It's a two-way street those who don't want to learn will not enter discussion those who do will. Though I would agree there is a time and a place but what do you do if at work you see someone being picked on because of their religion - I live in a country where which football team you support for some people gives away your religion you'd have to add football to your list of subjects to avoid in some places I have been working.

The indyref in Scotland galvanised political discussion mostly it's on a passionate but civilised basis but people want to talk politics you find total strangers standing discussing politics without falling out about it.

Return to “General Chit Chat”