Teachers walk off their jobs

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

All Public Schools are closed. Teachers walked off their jobs until terms are met.(whole State)

As the Teachers make their "Stand" - Parents have been scrambling what to do with their kids.

Many agencies stepped up - open their facilities for day camp - collected food - staying open late for parents schedule.

I've never seen this before - have you?

Patsy
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Sounds like a cluster f**k.

So teachers walk off.

Whats the big deal?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

it is a cluster - a sea of red. It's called "Red for ED".

so all the Teachers wore RED Shirts - marched to the Capital.

It was good to see communities come together to help with the ripple effect.

Patsy
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Teachers in Arizona and Colorado Walk Out Over Education Funding

" “We have impoverished teachers living in camper trailers.” "

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/us/t ... orado.html

What do you feel about the issues which caused the walk-out?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1518806 wrote: Teachers in Arizona and Colorado Walk Out Over Education Funding

" “We have impoverished teachers living in camper trailers.” "

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/us/t ... orado.html

What do you feel about the issues which caused the walk-out?

At least somebody posted a link.

Parents have been scrambling what to do with their kids.

Many agencies stepped up - open their facilities for day camp - collected food - staying open late for parents schedule.

Teachers walk out and all goes to batsh't. If that happened at a private school most certainly there would be calls for investigations and criminal charges. Lawsuits galore. But then we are talking about government schools, no calls for responsibility.

So some teachers choose to live in camper trailers. It is a free country.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I fear we have a growth of people with similar attitudes as the Tood over here.

(Has his mouth gotten dirty all of a sudden ?)
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

There is a growth of similar attitudes over here in recent years, survival of the fittest, law of the jungle type thing, using the same vernacular , sod em all I'm alright Jack.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1518807 wrote: At least somebody posted a link.

Teachers walk out and all goes to batsh't. If that happened at a private school most certainly there would be calls for investigations and criminal charges. Lawsuits galore. But then we are talking about government schools, no calls for responsibility.

So some teachers choose to live in camper trailers. It is a free country.

a little Empathy never hurt.

Some school districts in Colorado have not seen any increase in funding since the early 1990s, and property values, and rents have increased by 1000%

I've seen teachers for whom a camping trailer would be a step up, because they cannot afford the rent in their district.

A nephew of ours quit teaching and went to work as a manager at WalMart because he makes more money. There are other districts in Colorado who cannot find teachers who will move there and work for what they can pay.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-bud ... ghts-tabor
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

If you want to destroy a republic start with the education system and deprive the voters of the knowledge to see through what their would be leaders are up to.

Adam Smith from the wealth of nations.

The more they are instructed the less liable they are to the delusions of enthusiasm and superstition, which, among ignorant nations, frequently occasion the most dreadful disorders. An instructed and intelligent people, besides, are always more decent and orderly than an ignorant and stupid one. ... They are more disposed to examine, and more capable of seeing through, the interested complaints of faction and sedition, and they are, upon that account, less apt to be misled into any wanton or unnecessary opposition to the measures of government. In free countries, where the safety of government depends very much upon the favourable judgment which the people may form of its conduct, it must surely be of the highest importance that they should not be disposed to judge rashly or capriciously concerning it.

In a capitalist economy free education is an economic necessity in a fee society education is a right to say otherwise makes you a fascist.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1518817 wrote: If you want to destroy a republic start with the education system and deprive the voters of the knowledge to see through what their would be leaders are up to.

Adam Smith from the wealth of nations.

In a capitalist economy free education is an economic necessity in a fee society education is a right to say otherwise makes you a fascist.

May I quote you on that?
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Cute trick.

Equating a labor dispute with the quality of education.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1518820 wrote: Cute trick.

Equating a labor dispute with the quality of education.

If you say so.

School funding is about a lot more than teachers' pay.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by larsmac

May I quote you on that?

If you like but it's hardly an original thought. I would edit it though

n a capitalist economy free education is an economic necessity in a free society education is a right and to say otherwise makes you a fascist.

And I mean fascist in the sense of

A fascist is a follower of a political philosophy characterized by authoritarian views and a strong central government — and no tolerance for opposing opinions. Fascist traces to the Italian word fascio, meaning "group, bundle." Under fascist rule, the emphasis is on the group — the nation — with few individual rights.

Clearly a lot of people think you should have no right to protest about the way things are and should just suck itb up. Having an education just means they are more likely both to be able to and to do so teachers are dangerous liberals how dare they ask for more money. Some of the reactions to the pupils at parkland speaking out have exactly that sentiment to it imo, they can't think for themselves so someone must be manipulating them. Watched some of them speaking at rallies quite impressive maybe the american school system could teach us a few things.

The delusions of enthusiasm and superstition adam smith was referring to were those of religion and entitled privilege - god forbid you should question the natural order of society.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1518830 wrote:

And I mean fascist in the sense of

A fascist is a follower of a political philosophy characterized by authoritarian views and a strong central government — and no tolerance for opposing opinions. Fascist traces to the Italian word fascio, meaning "group, bundle." Under fascist rule, the emphasis is on the group — the nation — with few individual rights.

Clearly a lot of people think you should have no right to protest about the way things are and should just suck itb up. Having an education just means they are more likely both to be able to and to do so teachers are dangerous liberals how dare they ask for more money. Some of the reactions to the pupils at parkland speaking out have exactly that sentiment to it imo, they can't think for themselves so someone must be manipulating them. Watched some of them speaking at rallies quite impressive maybe the american school system could teach us a few things.

Some people that I know personally have used some of those words quite enthusiastically, grasping at the notion that these people are just disgruntled troublemakers who have no appreciation for the Grand and Glorious Society that has been built just for them - and they should bow in humility and gratitude that God has not put them in the Great New Society where they can get away with such behavior without being taken out and shot, like they deserve.

gmc;1518830 wrote: The delusions of enthusiasm and superstition adam smith was referring to were those of religion and entitled privilege - god forbid you should question the natural order of society.

Final cut: In a capitalist economy free education is an economic necessity. In a free society education is a right, and to say otherwise makes one a fascist.

What do ya think?
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by larsmac

Final cut: In a capitalist economy free education is an economic necessity. In a free society education is a right, and to say otherwise makes one a fascist.

What do ya think?

Well yeah, I suppose, I said it but I would again point out it's hardly an original way of putting things or an original idea on my part. I don't know about the US but in the UK it's an attitude that is widespread. Frankly to me it's something that's blindingly obviouys. Being in the UK I also think free medical care is a right as well that too is something adam smith advocated along with a well paid work force - who would therefore have the disposable income to buy manufactured goods and services that wopuld in turn generate demand and more jobs.

In the UK the adam smith institute is a right wing think tank personally I think smith would be birling in his grave at the way his ideas have been used.

Some people that I know personally have used some of those words quite enthusiastically, grasping at the notion that these people are just disgruntled troublemakers who have no appreciation for the Grand and Glorious Society that has been built just for them - and they should bow in humility and gratitude that God has not put them in the Great New Society where they can get away with such behavior without being taken out and shot, like they deserve.

I do too, depressing isn't it?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1518844 wrote: posted by larsmac

Well yeah, I suppose, I said it but I would again point out it's hardly an original way of putting things or an original idea on my part. I don't know about the US but in the UK it's an attitude that is widespread. Frankly to me it's something that's blindingly obviouys. Being in the UK I also think free medical care is a right as well that too is something adam smith advocated along with a well paid work force - who would therefore have the disposable income to buy manufactured goods and services that wopuld in turn generate demand and more jobs.

In the UK the adam smith institute is a right wing think tank personally I think smith would be birling in his grave at the way his ideas have been used.

I do too, depressing isn't it?

It has seemed obvious for several generations. Of course, Smith may not have seen the probability in his day that the jobs would be in some distant country.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by lars mac

It has seemed obvious for several generations. Of course, Smith may not have seen the probability in his day that the jobs would be in some distant country.

He was writing in 1776 as the industrial revolution was kicking off and no he wasn't american although he had a lot to say about the colonies - he saw the mercantile system then in place as holding them back and they should be independent or have representation in parliament. If you advocate free trade that means you need to have viable economies to trade with. You should have a read of it online it's reasonably readable despite the time it was written in. He is not a futurologist as we would use the term but he did live in a time of considerale economic and political change he was just expounding a theory of how he saw things going it's arguably one of the most influential books ever written but also seldom read especially by those on the right who spout the mantra of free trade and market economies carefulkly missing the point that people also matter.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Does someone in this thread have a problem with strike action?.....oh please bring it on! I so love a scab.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

And yes Patsy even in australia they have attention. And good on them too! Power to the people!.

Dont get comfortable though there's going to be more strikes all over america in all industries. Your president has been lying to you all and your media is omitting important information from you all.

As soon as teachers were threatened with jail the world found out about the teachers strike.......yeah..jail them and the condemnation of the world will come down on trump. Not a commo country? Nope...worse !
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Mag

I agree with the teachers striking. When our Governor was running for election his platform was Education. More funds for teachers & supporting staff - bring back the arts & music to schools BLAH BLAH. He won the election - 1 st thing he did was reduce funding for Education/schools/ kids/ idiot. he removed 20 million.

This Governor brought this teacher action on himself..

Day 3 - I'm so proud of the people - communities coming together to help with kids/family's situation.

I now have a lot of Grandkids visiting friends & others in my neighborhood.

I'm wondering what took the Teachers sooooooo long to strike?

Patsy
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Speaking of Education:

high-paying-trade-jobs-sit-empty-while-high-school-grads-line-up-for-university
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1518939 wrote: Speaking of Education:

high-paying-trade-jobs-sit-empty-while-high-school-grads-line-up-for-university

"Back in the day" the schools would use aptitude tests, among other things, to help steer the student. I guess they don't do that anymore.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Education is a tool, just like a hammer or saw, some can use the tool for its proper purpose, in the wrong hands some tools are useless.

Education should be getting the correct tool into the right hands.
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by bruv

Education is a tool, just like a hammer or saw, some can use the tool for its proper purpose, in the wrong hands some tools are useless.

Education should be getting the correct tool into the right hands.

No it shouldn't that's straight out the right wing handbook - train the population to work in the factories and preferably without the ability to think for themselves and queation the way things are. It won't work and never actually did an educated workforce should and would be able to adapt to any future job changes - the days when you spent your woprking life in the same job disappeared along with the last century. it should equip leavers with the means to be able to adapt to the future - even shop workers use computers nowadays and the odds are peopl;e will have many occupations thgroughout their working career there's no point training people for jobs that no longer exist. We have ceo's that can't understand the need for cybersecurity because they think IT is just an expense, i know lawyers that can'rt send an e-mail for themselves even. I saw a bit of mark zuckerberg with the senators most of them are arouind my age their level of ignorance is appalling becauise they left school withouitb the capacity to keep learning. Same with our own we have politicians deciuding our future with a skill set from the 1980's

I rember when I was working in retail in the eighties arguing with a group or teachers talking aboiut how qualifications didn't matter -that shop work didn't require real numeracy or literacy skills that's how detached from reality they were - how can you work out how much stock to bring out never mind fill in an application. Even a forklift driver needs to understand basic physics so he doesn't kill himself, hairdressers need a working knowledge of chemistry. There is nothing for which a broadly based education can't prepare you for after leaving school nowadys workers need to keep learning as they go. How often have you heard someone boast they can't work a computer? I know poeple that struggle with a GPS and can't read maps that to me are pretty basic skills.

In the UK we have a government that seems to think anyone can walk in off the street and be a teacher tell me how can you teach maths or any of the sciences if you don't have at least a degree in the subject? What other country bangs on about apprenticeships and then takes away bursaries for anyone training tro be a nurse?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Just received the following pm from a new member, Glenny.

"Teachers walk off the job

Concerning teachers walking off the job you wrote: "What do you feel about the issues which caused the walk-out?" This is a sign of "the last days" of all present day governments. -2 Timothy 3:1. Would you like to learn more?

Thanks,

Kathy and Glen

labellaglen@gmail.com"

Troll, don't ever write to me again.

Return to “General Chit Chat”