Pride Coming Before A Fall?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Yesterday morning my manager & 1 other came to take me out of the office. "What have I done this time"? I asked myself. It turned out I was required in order to have a photo taken for the company magazine, being presented with an Award Certificate & Trophy for the first ever Monthly Continuous Improvement Champion. This is to recognise those who have contributed most input to the company which have been actioned.

The idea is that the trophy be passed on to the next champion each month.

Anyway, feeling really chuffed with myself all day, and just as I was leaving at the end of the day, another manager wasked me what the trophy was for. Just as I was explaining & showing it to him, the vertical trophy part came loose from its plinth & went flying. One all glass trophy, smashed to smithereens.

Fortunately the manager in question is going to have a word with the Continuous Improvement Dept today (am off today) & explain what happened, so as to get it replaced.

Still, at least I've got the Certificate - and once the magazine comes out, the picture as well.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

FourPart;1518703 wrote: Yesterday morning my manager & 1 other came to take me out of the office. "What have I done this time"? I asked myself. It turned out I was required in order to have a photo taken for the company magazine, being presented with an Award Certificate & Trophy for the first ever Monthly Continuous Improvement Champion. This is to recognise those who have contributed most input to the company which have been actioned.

The idea is that the trophy be passed on to the next champion each month.

Anyway, feeling really chuffed with myself all day, and just as I was leaving at the end of the day, another manager wasked me what the trophy was for. Just as I was explaining & showing it to him, the vertical trophy part came loose from its plinth & went flying. One all glass trophy, smashed to smithereens.

Fortunately the manager in question is going to have a word with the Continuous Improvement Dept today (am off today) & explain what happened, so as to get it replaced.

Still, at least I've got the Certificate - and once the magazine comes out, the picture as well.

That's funny.

Congratulations on the award. I admit I like a pat on the back.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Congratulations............but cynical me, where I work, the culture is to give the colleagues incentives, like once a month or so a celebration meal for the chosen few.

A handful of sausage rolls, crisps, maybe a pork pie or two followed by some fancy cakes, all washed down with own brand fizzy drinks, costs management nothing and reaps priceless reward.

They even had a reward lottery using self service reciepts drawn from a hat to win a tenner, nobody worked out they were turkeys voting for christmas, the self service tills killed off 40 plus jobs at a guess.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Orion79

Post by Orion79 »

Congratulations on the award .
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

FourPart;1518703 wrote: Yesterday morning my manager & 1 other came to take me out of the office. "What have I done this time"? I asked myself. It turned out I was required in order to have a photo taken for the company magazine, being presented with an Award Certificate & Trophy for the first ever Monthly Continuous Improvement Champion. This is to recognise those who have contributed most input to the company which have been actioned.

Well congratulations!! We do the same thing around here, but our "trophy" is a gigantic three-meter artificial rose. I know. It's weird. (But it does help to keep it moving because no one wants it in their room for longer than a month!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Oh, I guess I should mention, I received an "Exemplary" evaluation this year. To put it in perspective, You have to score at least a 4 out of 5 in 27 categories. I pulled off a perfect. 5 out of 5 in all categories...go me.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Saint_;1518719 wrote: Oh, I guess I should mention, I received an "Exemplary" evaluation this year. To put it in perspective, You have to score at least a 4 out of 5 in 27 categories. I pulled off a perfect. 5 out of 5 in all categories...go me.

Now that is impressive :-)
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

To be honest, the trophy was just incidental. I was chuffed enough to be recognised as the "Ambassador of the Month". One thing I love about my job, though, is that, unlike many other companies, when you put forward ideas to improve things they take them on board, give them serious consideration & where appropriate implement them. They also give you the recognition for the input. So far my record has covered all sorts of things from repainting the lines in the car park, so as to get more parking places, to introducing Flexipay (Credit payments, as well as just Prepay). There is another one planned to roll out in July - a major change to how we do the equivalent of a Standing Charge - making it much more simple.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1518813 wrote: To be honest, the trophy was just incidental. I was chuffed enough to be recognised as the "Ambassador of the Month". One thing I love about my job, though, is that, unlike many other companies, when you put forward ideas to improve things they take them on board, give them serious consideration & where appropriate implement them. They also give you the recognition for the input. So far my record has covered all sorts of things from repainting the lines in the car park, so as to get more parking places, to introducing Flexipay (Credit payments, as well as just Prepay). There is another one planned to roll out in July - a major change to how we do the equivalent of a Standing Charge - making it much more simple.

The company that hired me back in the 80s was like that. At one time, I was even reporting directly to the CEO. There are a couple of procedures that were implemented at my suggestion which remain in place today.

Then a few acquisitions occurred (Acquiring other companies, and being acquired a couple of times.)

Now, they give lip service to the concept, but since I am so far down the food chain now that I might as well be on an outpost on a distant planet.

My manager is 500 miles away, and we talk about twice a month, and corporate headquarters is in another country.

The distance is as much a blessing as a curse, though. I am far removed from all the office politics, and am pretty much self-directed.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The photo of the presentation came onto the company Intranet yesterday.

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The photo of the presentation appeared on the company Intranet yesterday...

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

The photo of the presentation appeared on the company Intranet yesterday...

And the World Wide Web a little later ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1519031 wrote: And the World Wide Web a little later ?
Quite possibly. They'll be rebuilding the web site shortly. The latest one was launched a few weeks ago, and it's atrocious. I raised that at the last meeting & challenged them to find a particular thing on there. They failed.

Return to “General Chit Chat”