british whisky

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

british whisky

Post by gmc »

M&S tells Scottish customer: You've had your referendum and you're part of England now

M&S tells Scottish customer: You've had your referendum and you're part of England now | The National

Lovely stuff how to win friends and influence people. No wonder M & S is losing sales hand over fist. Over priced poor quality and now selling a premium product as british.
Clodhopper

british whisky

Post by Clodhopper »

Yeah well. I'm sadly no longer surprised after the brexit vote.

There are now two clearly defined sorts of English. Brexit and Remain. I'm a Remainer. I don't associate myself with brexiters and their comments except on clearly indicated occasions because while they are English they are a racist/fascist/stupid English I'm not. Since they want to differentiate themselves I'm happy to oblige.

I hope the snp are looking at another referendum in the event of brexit actually happening. Ironic because I regard the snp as no better than ukip at heart, just better people... I'm looking at moving to the Borders. Coldstream area is a strong possibility. This is not a hard and fast plan because...too many variables and "please no" situations. But I'm looking at options. Harder as the weeks go by since I have no faith in the Tory ****s in charge

Curious thing...family legend says we come from the Borders waaaay back. Ok, none of this is reliable but the family story is that the most dirty, backstabbing, treacherous and all round nasty lot in the whole of the Borders were the Angus clan. Every male in our family has that as their second name.

I've been discussing with Remain friends what we should do if brexit actually happens (and hopes are fading it won't). None of us know. There's nothing to support about brexit - literally. Forget politics, there is nothing about brexit that will make life better that I can think of, and no brexiter has come up with anything. The pathetic snotlumps are actually asking Remainers what they should do and complaining when the answer is, "Not leave, you cretin."

I've thought of something positive about brexit: creative obscenity.

edit: and on another thread, I'm well aware of what that "all males" thing says...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
gmc

british whisky

Post by gmc »

They're not the same as UKIP which is in reality an english national party that thinks the other nations in the union are just english regions. Corbyn is almost as bad and was not even aware that we have a seperate legal and education system.

Unlike UKIP they actually have MP's sitting in the westminster parliament and a mandate for another referendum from the scottish people. It was made clear that exit from the eu would be one of the factors that would change the situation vis a vis a referndum. One of the main arguments put forward by the unionist side was that the only way to remain in the eu was to remain part of the UK. It is now clear that the westminster government intends to undo devolution as much as possible the incident with the whisky is an indication of what is likely to happen with those other scottish trademarks and exports recognised the world over. I'm not a great fan of tye SNP but a referendum is not aboutb whether the snp should govern scotland. Odds are they will not get a big enough majority to form a government the previous election was thew forst time they had such a clear majority (PR voting remember) that they lost the overall majority at the last scottish election does not make the achievement any less significant. Remember they went to the first referendum with only 25-30% of scots supporting independence. 65% of scots voted to remain in the eu to be constantly told to shut up and just do what you are told is annoying.

An independent scotland would do well I'm not so sure about england especiually of yopu keep voting in the tories. Most people in this country do not want brexit. If we have another referendum I suspect all those whop didn't bother voting will be first at the polls.
FourPart

british whisky

Post by FourPart »

The Referendum in question was nothing to do with the Brexit Referendum, but the Scottish Independence Referendum, which was also a questionable matter. Choosing independance would have meant leaving the EU by default, as the membership was that of the UK. If Scotland ceased to be part of the UK they would also automatically cease to be part of the EU. As the Referendum was held before the EU Referendum they knew that it was a choice of Definitely Leave, or Maybe Leave. They chose Maybe. However, the general view of the Scottish People seems to be that they do NOT want another Independance Referendum, despite what the SNP might want.

However, Independance aside, I believe that a product should be sold according to its Nation of Origin, and there's no reason why a product cannot depict both, such as British Whisky, From Scotland although, quite frankly, I would imagine that "Scotch Whisky", as a label, would sell far better, assuming it was made in Scotland.
gmc

british whisky

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1517389 wrote: The Referendum in question was nothing to do with the Brexit Referendum, but the Scottish Independence Referendum, which was also a questionable matter. Choosing independance would have meant leaving the EU by default, as the membership was that of the UK. If Scotland ceased to be part of the UK they would also automatically cease to be part of the EU. As the Referendum was held before the EU Referendum they knew that it was a choice of Definitely Leave, or Maybe Leave. They chose Maybe. However, the general view of the Scottish People seems to be that they do NOT want another Independance Referendum, despite what the SNP might want.

However, Independance aside, I believe that a product should be sold according to its Nation of Origin, and there's no reason why a product cannot depict both, such as British Whisky, From Scotland although, quite frankly, I would imagine that "Scotch Whisky", as a label, would sell far better, assuming it was made in Scotland.

Actually no it wouldn't have that was one of the myths perpetuated by the unionist camp to try and scare people in to voting no. At the time there was only a suggestion that there would be a referendum and even farage thought it would be vote to remain on one expected caneron to go ahead anmd exclude those with most to lose from voting expats and the like. If they had applied the strict rules to the eu referendum as they did to the first scottish indendence referendum (the one back in the sevenmties) i.e a majority of the eligible voters voting to leave we would not have brexit as it is less that 30% of the voters are taking us out of the eu. The brexiteers are trrified of a second referendum because they know they would lose. They are equally terrified of a second scottish - the scots have been excluded from discussions with thera may refusing to even meet sturgeon at one point and she is also set on undoing the provision of the devolution bill by taking back devolved powers to westminster. Scots voted 62% to remain in the eu.

You miss tye main point Scotch whisky from scotland is a protected brand recognised all around the world

New official protection for genuine Scotch whisky - BBC News

Scotch Whisky accounts for a quarter of all UK food and drink exports, earning £135 every second, demonstrating the sector's importance to the Scottish economy.

"The industry must be allowed to do all it can to reduce the impact of those who seek to exploit its good name for their own financial gain."

For sainsbury's to be so dismissive beggars belief, if iot bwas a french supermatket boris would be spitting convoluted insults at the temerity of it.

If scotland votes for independence and stays in the eu while the rest of the uk is out england is screwed and they know it. If we were such a drain as the daily mail would have you believe theyb wopuld be calling for hadrians wall to be rebuilt.

Return to “United Kingdom”