im tired of this, and its turning people away

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Todays posts....10 out of 13 threads are from the extremists of the forum.

Everytime i try to encourage a person to come to this forumthey take one look at the threadsfrom those self absorbed beings and think the board is not for them.

In another thread it was mentioned "are we being highjacked"......well forum garden seems to be and to its detriment.....
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

magentaflame;1516723 wrote: Todays posts....10 out of 13 threads are from the extremists of the forum.

Everytime i try to encourage a person to come to this forumthey take one look at the threadsfrom those self absorbed beings and think the board is not for them.

In another thread it was mentioned "are we being highjacked"......well forum garden seems to be and to its detriment.....Well, if I were the forum owner or moderator, which I'm obviously not, I only see ONE that I would send packing. Hopefully, that will happen, the sooner the better.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

There's a simple and effective solution. Non-extremist people should post more.

Though I'd argue to the extreme that people who don't join or post because they are intimidated by whatever that they don't actually want to join or post.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Its the swath of the same kind of posts over and over again. I was asked if the forum was moderated (in regards to saturation) i understand you cant tell people what to write or when to write but if a moderator can divert spammers and advertising why not other possible saturations.?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Unfortunately people will post what they wish to, whatever subject matter it is. As long as it is legal, does not cause offence, is not intimidating to the point of aggression and, of course, does not contravene the forum rules and regulations etc. there is not a lot anybody can do about the thread subjects ! BUT those who want a much more varied thread content should, as somebody advised, post more themselves.

In my opinion, any monopoly of a particular subject on the board, can be detrimental to a site like Forum Garden. In the past, Forum Garden has been a very varied and interesting site, but things can and do change. People come and go, and sometimes there is a concentration of a particular subject, perhaps a similar subject repeated on several different threads, under several different thread titles. This can get very boring, monotonous and consequently off-putting. It is a fact that members have become bored with how the site is progressing, and leave. There is nothing much to hold their interest ! I have noticed one or two members trying threads of different subjects, a change from the political, the religious, even the word games, and one or two others add a post to these other threads, but there is not enough membership making regular visits to Forum Garden to add posts to these other threads to keep them going !

We need more membership - that means we have to change monopolising with one subject and make sure that there is a greater variety of subjects available each day, and that includes the so-called 'fluffy threads' ! I can remember when "Friends of Carol" thread used to command dozens of posts each day - it broke records (much to the disgust of the more serious element of the membership ! LOL ), but in those days there really was a very wide selection of subjects in threads, and consequently dozens of people (members and guests) would be reading the threads and many would register in the Forum, finding the site very interesting.

Let's see if we can get back at least part way to that happy state !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Ahso!;1516727 wrote: There's a simple and effective solution. Non-extremist people should post more.

Though I'd argue to the extreme that people who don't join or post because they are intimidated by whatever that they don't actually want to join or post.

No.....when i speak to people (and i say it here too) " oh i was just having a conversation about that the other day" people want to know who in the world id be conversing that topic with....when i mention this forum they are interested. Theyd like to take part. Over and over they decline when seeing all the propaganda(and yes im comfortable calling them that) threads. Whether political or religious
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

magentaflame;1516734 wrote: No.....when i speak to people (and i say it here too) " oh i was just having a conversation about that the other day" people want to know who in the world id be conversing that topic with....when i mention this forum they are interested. Theyd like to take part. Over and over they decline when seeing all the propaganda(and yes im comfortable calling them that) threads. Whether political or religiousWhat do you propose?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1516735 wrote: What do you propose?

Airlock?

Catapult?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

magentaflame;1516731 wrote: Its the swath of the same kind of posts over and over again. I was asked if the forum was moderated (in regards to saturation) i understand you cant tell people what to write or when to write but if a moderator can divert spammers and advertising why not other possible saturations.?

I do agree with you MF, and that is perhaps a good reason to have a couple more moderators in different time zones in order to do what you suggest. At least there is now a thread devoted to members' (Green names) queries, complaints and possible judgements etc. which makes moderation more transparent, but one has to pay the very reasonable membership fee in order to have access to this particular thread. The membership fee, I would add, helps towards the expense of running this site.

I doubt, however, that the number of 'green' members would cover the complete cost of this site, but the more 'green' members we have here, the better. I'm quite sure that the owner uses personal money to bolster up the expense, and I feel this is not right. Forum Garden is available for you all, for your enjoyment, so let's try to build it up, if only part way to how it used to be around 2007 - 2010.

I know that many drift away, having become bored with the internet, and I know that some return after a while (I was one of those !). I also know that there are many people who find great company by being on a social chat forum like this, people who are housebound, people who live by themselves, lonely people who find friendship here and on similar sites. There are so many reasons why people are drawn to such a site as Forum Garden, so let's try to make it more interesting all round. We do need more members don't we ?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I dunno maybe everyone should put down what kind of threads they like on the board . Even if they havent been to them in a long time and maybe the admin could promote those kind of threads a bit more.

As gilly said correct me if ive misconstrued, . You cant bring back the old threads that were popular (even the fluffy ones) lol but we can certainly re invent them.....give a new twist to new ones? Catagories? Topics.

Its really up to all of us if we enjoy coming here. Get your thinking caps on. It really doesnt have to be hard work.

Reconfigure?

And catapult has crossed my mind.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1516736 wrote: Airlock?

Catapult?

Lars you're being flippant - that's very naughty of you. I think MF is making a serious point. I happen to agree with her. Are you still a moderator, Lars ? Or have the moderators been disbanded. Perhaps Betty Boop is still one ? I don't see Chonsigirl or Carla or Mustang around on the boards, Have they all left ?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The only real solution is to put up more threads that are less "focused" on a particular type of discussion.

(Complaints to the management might get some results if a particular individual(s) seems to be flooding the pages with unpopular subjects. )
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

G#Gill;1516737 wrote: I do agree with you MF, and that is perhaps a good reason to have a couple more moderators in different time zones in order to do what you suggest. At least there is now a thread devoted to members' (Green names) queries, complaints and possible judgements etc. which makes moderation more transparent, but one has to pay the very reasonable membership fee in order to have access to this particular thread. The membership fee, I would add, helps towards the expense of running this site.

I doubt, however, that the number of 'green' members would cover the complete cost of this site, but the more 'green' members we have here, the better. I'm quite sure that the owner uses personal money to bolster up the expense, and I feel this is not right. Forum Garden is available for you all, for your enjoyment, so let's try to build it up, if only part way to how it used to be around 2007 - 2010.

I know that many drift away, having become bored with the internet, and I know that some return after a while (I was one of those !). I also know that there are many people who find great company by being on a social chat forum like this, people who are housebound, people who live by themselves, lonely people who find friendship here and on similar sites. There are so many reasons why people are drawn to such a site as Forum Garden, so let's try to make it more interesting all round. We do need more members don't we ?

Well gill, there has to be value for money. I payed once, but then found i was paying to be abused... thats all done and dusted now...moved on and came back after a spell. But what have i come back to? Im not complaing about the content persay....but maybe the working lack of it?

Proposal......give a prize to the mod who can promote a particular area of the board successfully? Bit of cpmpetition there. Even to the extent of filing away of members interests for future invites to particular topics?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1516741 wrote: Lars you're being flippant - that's very naughty of you. I think MF is making a serious point. I happen to agree with her. Are you still a moderator, Lars ? Or have the moderators been disbanded. Perhaps Betty Boop is still one ? I don't see Chonsigirl or Carla or Mustang around on the boards, Have they all left ?

Sorry, Gill. One of my faults is to resort to flippancy too often.

I agree with You and Mags but as a junior mod, I have no authority to deal with the issue being complained about. Catapult and Airlock are ways such things are dealt with in other forums and discussion groups where I am, or have been a member.

Like any other service, direct complaints to management would be the most effective method of getting results.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac;1516742 wrote: The only real solution is to put up more threads that are less "focused" on a particular type of discussion.

(Complaints to the management might get some results if a particular individual(s) seems to be flooding the pages with unpopular subjects. )

Its not the subjects by themselves....the entire world has an opinion on trump..... its when those particular thread becomes not one of discussion/ argument or debate but of product promotion (no matter what the topic is)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1516745 wrote: Sorry, Gill. One of my faults is to resort to flippancy too often.

I agree with You and Mags but as a junior mod, I have no authority to deal with the issue being complained about. Catapult and Airlock are ways such things are dealt with in other forums and discussion groups where I am, or have been a member.

Like any other service, direct complaints to management would be the most effective method of getting results.

In the 'good old days' when I was a moderator, I had the ability to join two like threads into one, (after a mod discussion though) and various other abilities only available to moderators. I can remember one day that I spent hours deleting an attack of spammers - there must have been dozens of spam posts, but I think they eventually got the message that they were not wanted on Forum Garden ! Also, in those days, the general membership were not privileged to read what was said in the 'mod room'. Nowadays, at least, the membership (paid up 'green') have a thread in order to air their views, ask questions, discuss an 'iffy' post, and see which member has just received a warning, or a complaint, and I believe that the 'mod room' is now well and truly in the history books. There are benefits of being a paid-up member, and that is why I pay for my membership. I do agree with you Lars, that direct complaint to management is probably the most effective way to get results, and there is a ! at bottom left of each post - when you click on it you can write down a complaint direct to management
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1516748 wrote: In the 'good old days' when I was a moderator, I had the ability to join two like threads into one, (after a mod discussion though) and various other abilities only available to moderators. I can remember one day that I spent hours deleting an attack of spammers - there must have been dozens of spam posts, but I think they eventually got the message that they were not wanted on Forum Garden ! Also, in those days, the general membership were not privileged to read what was said in the 'mod room'. Nowadays, at least, the membership (paid up 'green') have a thread in order to air their views, ask questions, discuss an 'iffy' post, and see which member has just received a warning, or a complaint, and I believe that the 'mod room' is now well and truly in the history books. There are benefits of being a paid-up member, and that is why I pay for my membership. I do agree with you Lars, that direct complaint to management is probably the most effective way to get results, and there is a ! at bottom left of each post - when you click on it you can write down a complaint direct to management

Hmmm, you may be on to something there.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1516745 wrote: Sorry, Gill. One of my faults is to resort to flippancy too often.

You're alright, Lars LOL, but what the heck is Catapult and Airlock when it's at home ? (apart, of course, from the obvious proper meanings !)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1516750 wrote: You're alright, Lars LOL, but what the heck is Catapult and Airlock when it's at home ? (apart, of course, from the obvious proper meanings !)

When people get annoying there is always the threat to put them out the Airlock, or catapult them over the fence. Basically gamer talk for removing them from the group/membership.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Im glad now the computer froze on me last night and i had a good think about how to raise the topic in a milder manner. This is good that we're talking about it.

(Trust me the post i wrote last night eould have thoroughly entertained you all.....but would have got me put out to the back paddock for awhile. And im chuffed that its not just me .....)
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Thank you for raising it Mags and thanks for the suggested solution Gill.

Done as requested (I hope)
gmc

Post by gmc »

Nothing wrong with the subject matter but maybe those who just ignore other posters, refuse to discuss and keep cutting and pasting their own little scripts should get banned.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

gmc;1516880 wrote: Nothing wrong with the subject matter but maybe those who just ignore other posters, refuse to discuss and keep cutting and pasting their own little scripts should get banned.

Yep. I agree. This isn't their own personal domain. It's a forum. Forums are for discussion and discourse. Not personal axe-grinding. Ban 'em.

Return to “General Chit Chat”