Zimbabwe wedding

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

I am due to fly to Zimbabwe just after Christmas for the wedding of my adopted daughter.

What where the chances of a coup after so many years for heavens sake ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1514558 wrote: I am due to fly to Zimbabwe just after Christmas for the wedding of my adopted daughter.

What where the chances of a coup after so many years for heavens sake ?

My first question upon reading the news today was, "What has taken them so long?"
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1514561 wrote: My first question upon reading the news today was, "What has taken them so long?"

In my opinion........the population, far too compliant, deferential, resigned.

I have many arguments with my missus on why they all put up with it.
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

I have just sat through what was billed as the 'resignation' speech of Mugabe........ (it had to be done)

Think the man is senile or very clever or maybe both.

Apparently his wife has been expelled from the party, his sacked Vise President has been re-instated as head of the party......but Mugabe says he is going to preside over the party congress in a few weeks........despite him not longer being in charge of the party.

I am wondering if he is sending messages to confirm it is a coup, so the African congress gets involved militarily ?

Hope the wedding is still safe.....I have been looking forward to it.
magentaflame

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by magentaflame »

Bruv;1514729 wrote: I have just sat through what was billed as the 'resignation' speech of Mugabe........ (it had to be done)

Apparently his wife has been expelled from the party, his sacked Vise President has been re-instated as head of the party......but Mugabe says he is going to preside over the party congress in a few weeks........despite him not longer being in charge of the party.

I am wondering if he is sending messages to confirm it is a coup, so the African congress gets involved militarily ?

But....... he only just said he wasnt going anywhere.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1514729 wrote: I have just sat through what was billed as the 'resignation' speech of Mugabe........ (it had to be done)

Hopefully the change of ownership will have run its course by then - it should have unless ZanuPF try to stay as a dictatorship with a different figurehead.
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1514870 wrote: Hopefully the change of ownership will have run its course by then - it should have unless ZanuPF try to stay as a dictatorship with a different figurehead.

My wife and the rest of her countrymen have been hallelujahing happy to be free at last.

I have told them all.....................It don't mean a thing until the next election and you get to vote for who you really want to, without harassment.

I hope they can and do.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1514874 wrote: My wife and the rest of her countrymen have been hallelujahing happy to be free at last.

I have told them all.....................It don't mean a thing until the next election and you get to vote for who you really want to, without harassment.

I hope they can and do.

May it be so
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

We are off on the 27th to Harare, so Christmas is a mere sideshow.

Flying to Lagos on the 1st (next year) and staying for a whole month, returning 28th January.......2018.

There are ceremonies in Harare and later in Lagos, two ceremonies in Zimbabwe, one a traditional the other a white wedding (don't ask) .........and then one in Lagos.(don't ask)

Wish me well going through customs, African customs are notorious.

Hopefully they have internet connectivity so I can keep you all posted.
Betty Boop

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1516341 wrote: We are off on the 27th to Harare, so Christmas is a mere sideshow.

Flying to Lagos on the 1st (next year) and staying for a whole month, returning 28th January.......2018.

There are ceremonies in Harare and later in Lagos, two ceremonies in Zimbabwe, one a traditional the other a white wedding (don't ask) .........and then one in Lagos.(don't ask)

Have a wonderful time Bruv, I bet it will all be amazing and Christmas should always be a sideshow in my opinion
spot

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by spot »

It sounds an amazing venture, I hope you enjoy the whole experience. And that you get the occasional WiFi connection, I expect you will in cities.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by LarsMac »

Hope you have a great trip with lots of adventures to tell us about when you get home.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bon Voyage!
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

Thank you one and all.

I have been told to bring my laptop so will be updating when possible.

My wife has been video messaging directly to Harare with first footers that left here on the 20th.

I have all my medication, anti malarial, sunscreen and hat and a mosquito net.

The itinerary includes a visit to Thetford game reserve,Lake Chivero,Mwanga lodge and Pamuzinda safari lodge, and thats all in a couple of days in Zim.

Hope they have timed it well....................(Africans have trouble with timing)
spot

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by spot »

That's where Dad's Army was filmed, Thetford game reserve.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1516341 wrote: We are off on the 27th to Harare, so Christmas is a mere sideshow.

The very best wishes for your trip - enjoy and stay safe.
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

Well we made it, after a journey and a half. Slept like a log last night, first of the weddings today.

Will update later.
magentaflame

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by magentaflame »

Reading through this thread now im getting excited.... ...hey everyone as long as bruv has internet we're all off to some weddings.

Sit back and crack a cold one! This should be grand!
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by LarsMac »

Yeah! don't forget to send a few pics, Bruv
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

It's now just past 11.00 pm local time, have just been driven from the lobola (bride price) ceremony in Kadoma back to the hotel in Harare.

Traveling in a people carrier in Zimbabwe is yet another experience.

Photographs will follow but I have to move them around a bit, as a trailer, there is a video of traditional Zimbabwean dancing, the arrival of the Nigerians, and other stuff that I will have to sort out.

But let us start from the flight.

Flew Ethiopian airlines, from Heathrow via Addis Ababa,then Lusaka, onward to Harare, the food was not up to much. In fact one was virtually inedible, and I am used to African food choices.

The male toilets in Addis airport were *cough* below Heathrow's standard by a country mile. I searched them out desperately, and as I approached was surprised to be able to see through a hatch, men standing at urinals. My need was a WC and as I looked for a vacant one passed a female toilet cleaner with her mop, the one I entered was blocked, so I flushed and flushed again, as I finished my ablutions, there was a choice of tissue or spray gun, which was probably why the floor was in need of the female with the mop.

Anyway let me start shuffling these photos, more tomorrow.
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

Had a full full day yesterday, The wedding day...... so have not had a lot of time to upload anything plus all of a sudden my Dropbox is full up, and couldn't link from there anyway.

As a sample here are some dancers.

AnneBoleyn

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Who was that lovely lady in blue with the fan?
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1516609 wrote: Who was that lovely lady in blue with the fan?

That Sir is no lady that's my wife.(Big girl ain't she ?)

I have had a rest day today. sitting in the hotel garden under a banana tree (or part of it amongst others)

Flying onward tomorrow to Lagos with a night in Addis Ababa (which I am not looking forward to food wise)

There are more videos and pictures to come......it is just collating ....uploading to suitable platforms for showing on here.

I will have more time in Lagos to do it.
magentaflame

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by magentaflame »

I cant see any of the vidd or pics on my phone....its going to be wedding day this saturday when im able to get to a computer.....so youve got till daturday young man. I may even dress for the occasion. Whats the grog like over there?
Silas Mackey

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Silas Mackey »

Don't have much more idea about Zimbabwean culture. But I am much interested to learn about this one.
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

Silas Mackey;1516637 wrote: Don't have much more idea about Zimbabwean culture. But I am much interested to learn about this one.

Too late Silas, we are now in Nigeria.

Our host has put us up in The Oriental Hotel.

And as much as I am enjoying the attention It is not the life for me. We were met at the airport by an employee who then whisked us unhindered through the airport without delay then got a side gate opened so we could exit the the place, then a journey through Lagos followed by an armed guard. The new father in law's house is in a side road, that in England would be a slum, but inside it is garishly decorated with marble floors and glass table tops with gold decoration. A hum of aircon with a unit either end of a large large room. It was from there the man himself drove us to this hotel. Motorbikes ignore traffic lights, people carriers carry people standing on the rear bumper, weaving in and out of lanes at will.Our window overlooks a busy junction, it is my main entertainment watching people crossing the road, and motorbikes jumping the lights.

Last night we had a meal, Chinese Nigerian fusion was the only way to describe it, it wasn't very Chinese as I know it. But I have had Chinese with haggis in Glasgow so presumably it gets adapted to local tastes.

Can anyone tell me how I get video and images off my phone directly into posts ?

More to come.
LarsMac

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1516760 wrote: ...

Can anyone tell me how I get video and images off my phone directly into posts ?

More to come.

I think that you need to put them somewhere like google drive, to which you can configure the phone to automatically upload if you have a google account.

Then link to them on your google drive.

Like this:

- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1516625 wrote: That Sir is no lady that's my wife.

Sir? Too lazy for "That Madam is no lady that's my wife."????????????
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

Testing.........................

Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1516782 wrote: Sir? Too lazy for "That Madam is no lady that's my wife."????????????

Too many English references in there ?

I suspect Spot will know who it was, but in answer to the question "Who was that lady I saw you with last night ?" an English gentleman answered "Lady ? that Sir was no lady......that was my wife"

It's supposed to be funny.

My lady often tells me to watch my mouth, not everybody gets my sense of humour...............do I care ? It does cause awkward moments at times.......do I care ?......sometimes.

Will I change ?................doubt it, not now.
AnneBoleyn

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Will you change? Hope not. Just teasing you, silly. :wah:
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1516769 wrote: I think that you need to put them somewhere like google drive, to which you can configure the phone to automatically upload if you have a google account.

Then link to them on your google drive.

Like this:

I think I have or least had that set up, I shall just have to get my head around it.
G#Gill

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by G#Gill »

Hey Bruv, I hadn't realised you were in Africa over Christmas and New Year ! Just shows I must be getting (got) old and my forgetary is well and truly working ! I hope you have a good time out there. African music and dancing interests me greatly - I enjoyed the video of the dancing, I hope you can post more photos and maybe even videos !

Take care, Bruv, and come back safe, but do have a good time !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill;1516798 wrote: Hey Bruv, I hadn't realised you were in Africa over Christmas and New Year ! Just shows I must be getting (got) old and my forgetary is well and truly working ! I hope you have a good time out there. African music and dancing interests me greatly - I enjoyed the video of the dancing, I hope you can post more photos and maybe even videos !

Take care, Bruv, and come back safe, but do have a good time !

I flew on the 27th December after Christmas, spent New Year in a hotel in Harare after the wedding, now we are all in Lagos but are traveling to Sapele today, and there we will have a Nigerian style reception, which will be an experience.

Don't worry about your forgetary.................I don't even know what day it is.

I shall attempt to link to some video and images with thanks to Lars, I have everything I have ever photographed on there and I had forgotten all about it.
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

The hotel garden in Harare with a banana tree giving shade on the right hand side.

Harare Hotel garden

The view from the hotel in Addis Ababa..................very different.

Addis Hotel

And finally for today the bride all togged up in here Nigerian attire.

The Bride

Now I have the hang of that I shall load more...................later.
magentaflame

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by magentaflame »

well that's interesting... says I have to go into google accounts to see your pics
AnneBoleyn

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The bride is gorgeous! Congratulations Dad!!
magentaflame

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by magentaflame »

AnneBoleyn;1516817 wrote: The bride is gorgeous! Congratulations Dad!!

Agree.

Bruv can you tell us about the dress/costume ? Thought a veil was hard enough to wear....but how the heck do uou keep a headress like that in place?
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

Am down to WiFi on my phone, should be returning to Lagos and easy access to WiFi, will update when I am able to.
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

I am still in Sapele with limited access to the world wide web.

Try this for size to see if it works.

Arriving at second ceremony

And the bride herself
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1517169 wrote: I am still in Sapele with limited access to the world wide web.

Try this for size to see if it works.

Arriving at second ceremony

And the bride herself

Beautiful
AnneBoleyn

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv, thank you for sharing that exquisite picture with us. Beautiful Bride, Dress, Bouquet!!!!!!!!!!
Wandrin

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Wandrin »

Beautiful!
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

I have spent more than an hour now trying to share some photos and video, but due to the connection here it's like swimming in cold treacle, so I give gave up.

Didn't you all see me and the bride in the Rolls Royce in my last post ?

The schedule was a traditional wedding in Kadoma, at the home of my adopted daughter's blood father.

There was a negotiated bride price across two African cultures, with go betweens negotiating a fair settlement for her original family, me and her mother, photos will follow.

After that, an outdoor white wedding in Harare with dancing and celebration, when I can photos will be uploaded.

Then an airplane to Lagos where we stayed in the Oriental Hotel, until we all traveled 6 hours to Sapele, where yet another Nigerian flavoured celebration ensued.

When that gathering was overrun by the locals we returned to the granddaddies house where there was a duo entertaining us.

I very nearly disgraced myself by over indulging with cognac, but I Dad danced so think I got away with it..................although I was escorted back to my bed by my wife and her mate.

When I get to a half decent connection I will share some great images.
AnneBoleyn

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv, you rascal, you look positively elegant!!!!!!
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

I shall give up trying communicate on line other than WhatsApp to the UK, while in Lagos. Apparently it's not easy to just buy data here due to fraud, so we are piggybacking on the daughter's phone and it doesn't want to upload photos.

Still alive and surviving despite the humidity and heat and its winter they tell me.

I promise photos will follow, probably from the UK after next weekend.
spot

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by spot »

We look forward to your return. I'm glad you have memorable weather to go with the wonderful events.
Clodhopper

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Clodhopper »

Sounds like you are having a great time. :) Is there a video of the Dad Dancing?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

To my shame there is, it will be shared eventually.

And my assessment of the differences between Zimbabwe and Nigeria, plus why I couldn't live in Lagos, but would live in Zimbabwe happily. Seen more deprivation from my hotel window in oil rich Lagos than a fortnight in Zimbabwe.
Bruv

Zimbabwe wedding

Post by Bruv »

I am home prematurely, 4 days earlier than planned.

My wife and I had remained behind when the bulk of the family returned to the UK, as a special treat for us two oldies, who are no longer wage slaves.

Unfortunately tragedy has struck, my wife's son was rushed into hospital with cerebral malaria, he had gone over a week or 2 before us for a break in Zimbabwe.

We traveled out with his two kids, both of who carried anti malarial tablets that he insisted the young girl took, while he himself had no such protection.

He is in an induced coma having dialysis, and it is touch and go if he will recover.

It has taken the shine off the whole wedding trip.

Return to “General Chit Chat”