Evangelism and the Donald

Discuss the Christian Faith.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

A recent article from the Washington post tries to explain why Evangelical Christians support Trump.

Why most evangelicals don’t condemn Trump

I've concluded that they are simply batsht Crazy.

But, I could be wrong.

What do you think?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

If anyone else said the things he has said or had done the things he had done, they would have been roundly condemned. I don't understand how everyone is is bad but he gets a free pass.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Im troubled when any person is compared to any biblical character.

I think these evangelists are in for a big shock.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Definitely crazy, don't know what flavour crazy they are.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1512172 wrote: Definitely crazy, don't know what flavour crazy they are.

Well, Let's see,...

Pat Robertson. Definitely off the deep end.

Jim Bakker, he is hanin with Pat.

Joel Osteen: Latest on him seems to be that he passed the collection plate around among the folks he offered shelter to after the storm.

There is a whole slew of them in Texas who think The Donald is the second coming.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I only know Joel Osteen because my wife watches his broadcasts on TV, only when I am not there.

When I have caught the tail end of his preaching, he really irritates me. His intonation, his phrasing, his accent, his cock suredness, (I made that word up)......then there is his cute missus, comes from the same finishing school.

The same one as Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar (who at least has the honesty to name himself after his own personal god)

Not to mention Joyce Meyer......who has to be related to Dolly Parton....no ?

To be honest I don't know who to fear most, Muslims or radical Christians.

The world has gone bonkers.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Oh yes, the passive extreme christian. It wreaks of mass propaganda.early morning telly is awash with these people. Its sickening. Prefer to be blown up. Unlike the prolobged torture of these people a bomb is usually short and quick.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

One of the core arguments appears to be that the born again Christians are supporting Trump because he's like they were before they were reborn. Is it just me that sees a flaw in that line of thinking?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

magentaflame;1512168 wrote: Im troubled when any person is compared to any biblical character.

I think these evangelists are in for a big shock.

Well I think he's like a Biblical character...the AntiChrist.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Actually, the anti christ ( according to the bible) would be someone we'd all like. But arent we supposed to wear the sign of the antichrist to trade and get on? Cant quite remember.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

magentaflame;1512205 wrote: Actually, the anti christ ( according to the bible) would be someone we'd all like. But arent we supposed to wear the sign of the antichrist to trade and get on? Cant quite remember.

Good point....he must be Satan himself.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Question: If Trump did and said the same things but had been elected as a Democrat, how do you think the evangelicals would be reacting?
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I see it as a sort of extension of Jerry Falwell's Moral Majority of the '70s. The MM tried to break the evangelical tradition of separating politics and religion and focus on a few social issues. It made deals to support politicians who promised to act on those social issues. Their agenda, according to Wikipedia was:

Promotion of a traditional vision of family life

Opposition to media outlets that it claimed promote an anti-family agenda

Opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment and Strategic Arms Limitation Talks

Opposition to state recognition or acceptance of homosexual acts.

Prohibition of abortion, even in cases involving incest, rape or in pregnancies where the life of the mother is at stake.[22]

Support for Christian prayers in schools

The Trump admin is giving them what they want. With Betsy DeVos making it easier to use public school funding to finance private religious "charter schools", Trump's criticism of the media, Trump's LGBT ban in the service, Sessions relaxing discrimination standards, Trump's loud anti-Muslim rhetoric, etc.

As long as the Trump admin is giving them what they want on those social issues, they will support him.

There are groups of evangelicals that are standing up and opposing this effort, but as with the MM in the past they are not as loud or flashy. It will be interesting to watch.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I saw this one on FaceBook earlier today. Had me creased up...

Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

I am continually amazed at the seduction of the Christian mind.

And the deceptions of the political mind.

Both are a ball of confusion. And the world plays with that ball. They like the ball, and they use it to incredible means. They bounce it off the heads of humanity, and they turn the ball into a conscious mark inside the heads of humanity; and then take residence in the minds of men.

Return to “Christianity”