Hamburg is hot hot hot

What's the weather like today?
jennyswan

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by jennyswan »

24 degrees celsius now. I must say I hate the heat and I shouldn't give out because every one else seems to love it. It's the humidity that gets to me. I really am a winter person :-)
Bruv

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by Bruv »

Sitting here with all the windows open and a floor standing fan blowing directly at and feeling very uncomfortable.......my phone tells me it's 24c.

The forecast says tomorrow is going to be hotter.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by spot »

jennyswan;1510335 wrote: I really am a winter person :-)Maybe the heat will shake off any left-over effects from Easter. Besides, the heatwave might not last. Though I remember 1975, we're nowhere near that yet.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by Bruv »

It was 76 I believe.

Had a drought, the night I went to sleep on the beach it rained...............first rain for months.
spot

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1510346 wrote: It was 76 I believe.I hadn't moved to London in 1975, I was still near Leicester and that's where I remember the summer heat, walking home from work and wondering how to cool down. By 1976 I was living in Croydon and focused on other things than the weather.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by Bruv »

spot;1510347 wrote: I hadn't moved to London in 1975, I was still near Leicester and that's where I remember the summer heat, walking home from work and wondering how to cool down. By 1976 I was living in Croydon and focused on other things than the weather.

Trust me, the hottest longest summer in my lifetime was 76 no doubt about it. Record breaking heatwave

No idea what 75 was like.
Clodhopper

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by Clodhopper »

I remember '76. I was 12. The perfect age for it. :)

31 here today. Hampton waterworks are just down the road and they got today's record at nearly 33 I think.

When I got my home rebuilt I tried to take account of global warming by designing a place that would make it easy for cooler air to pool downstairs and provide a place to sleep without needing air con if it gets too hot upstairs.

The test may come soon...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Betty Boop

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1510346 wrote: It was 76 I believe.

Had a drought, the night I went to sleep on the beach it rained...............first rain for months.

I remember it as 76 too, I wasn't quite six but I remember the standpipes and crispy brown grass very clearly.
jennyswan

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by jennyswan »

I think I remember one really hot summer in Ireland when I was about 7 or 8. I remember my mom picking us up after school and we would go to the beach and all the other moms and kids were there and we salad sandwiches and crisps and diluted orange. No money for takeaways in them days :-)
FourPart

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by FourPart »

It was definitely '76. My first ever job after leaving school (that's how remember the year for certain) was working in a Petrol Station, jerking petrol (yes, they really used to have people who did that for you). There was also a fuel shortage & one of our tanks was empty, so we had to fill it with water, even in a drought, to expel the gases so as to eliminate the explosion factor.
jennyswan

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by jennyswan »

Cripes. Sounds scary. Well I was born in 1972 and I remember being in school and I started school in 1977 but it could be just the good memories making me thinking it was the hottest summer :-)
Bruv

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by Bruv »

I was working at the local Railway Works after a short spell out of work, the works were being run down but the Labour government ( I have always believed) were still recruiting to massage unemployment figures. My wages were comparable with my unemployment pay, the resignation letter was political.......next job was much better.

There was a hosepipe ban, car washes shut down, stand pipes for supply of water in some areas........and the advice to share a shower with your wife.

And so after a three month period with no rain my expedition to sleep amongst the sand dunes was some what dampened by a few over night showers..........the following day was dry.
jennyswan

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by jennyswan »

I can't imagine how hard that must have been. As far as I remember we had no water shortages or anything like that but again I was really young so I would not have understand what was going on really. I was just thrilled with the daily trips to the beach :-)
Bryn Mawr

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Since the weekend I've been melting and I'm not sure I'll survive the experience if it continues for much longer.

The weekend was spent at a music festival by the staircase locks at Foxton :-

Visit Foxton Locks

Quite a push to get there especially after the alternator started playing up on the boat and I had to spend a couple of hours down the engine 'ole fixing it.

Then a couple of long days bringing the boat up to Leicester, solo the first day and entertaining a granddaughter and great grandson yesterday - today is r&r plus replenishing supplies, washing clothes, etc.

My memories of '76 are of touring the continent with a dozen other bikes and half the time only being able to wear shorts - helmet and leathers would have been impossible in the heat. All fine except the bee that splatted when I was doing ninety plus - that hurt :-)
Clodhopper

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by Clodhopper »

I remember doing the Foxton Locks as a kid on a Cub Scout trip. We were all about 10/11/12 and they converted a proper old narrowboat, 60' long iirc by bolting in bunks and a cooker and a chemical toilet up front. Chuckle. Must have been quite a sight, a couple of dozen kids boiling up out of the boat and six or more of us on each lock gate to move it.

...I can still smell that chemical toilet...

travelingjack

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by travelingjack »

Bruv;1510350 wrote: Trust me, the hottest longest summer in my lifetime was 76 no doubt about it. Record breaking heatwave

No idea what 75 was like.

yes i remember that well i was 11 my first sun burn had to sleep on the sofa for days lol im not a heat person these days 20 ish is fine weather work or play you can relax and not think how the hell do i get out of this lol maybe its a age think , bit also we as brits are just not used to it
travelingjack

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by travelingjack »

jennyswan;1510335 wrote: 24 degrees celsius now. I must say I hate the heat and I shouldn't give out because every one else seems to love it. It's the humidity that gets to me. I really am a winter person :-)

i with u its not for me either , long as its not raining i dont normaly moan lol
magentaflame

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by magentaflame »

Well Jenny, youd love it here at the moment. -7 deg. cel. At 6:30 this morning. Coldest on record aroynd here. Guess who's sleepingin front of the fire in the lounge tonight?

Broke a nail this morning, tapping on what i thought to be a thin sheet layer of ice on the pond......nope! Solid ice! Damn that hurt.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by spot »

I had no idea Australia could do that. My thermometer says 15°C, cloudy but warm.
minks

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by minks »

we are 28C here today and a heat wave predicted for about 2 weeks ahead... this increases the risk of forest fires greatly :(
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
magentaflame

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by magentaflame »

Isnt it interesting. For me 15C is too cold.....28C is a pleasant day.

But minks is probably looking at -7 thinking, "yeah and?". And spot thinking 15C as a pleasant day, yet to me thats winter temps.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
minks

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by minks »

25-28 is nice for moi

― Mae West
Bryn Mawr

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame;1510774 wrote: Isnt it interesting. For me 15C is too cold.....28C is a pleasant day.

But minks is probably looking at -7 thinking, "yeah and?". And spot thinking 15C as a pleasant day, yet to me thats winter temps.

If it starts with a one then I'm happy - low twenties I can stand but high twenties and I'm melting.
spot

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by spot »

If the indoor temperature drops below 12°C/54°F I zip a fleece over by shirtsleeves. Once my surrounding reaches 20°C/68°F I'm seriously uncomfortable and take painkillers.
minks

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by minks »

I agree with Bryn.

Well even despite the hot we got a break here and it's pouring rain now. But it goes away tomorrow wahhhh

But it could be worse, to the west of us it's real hot, over 200 forest fires burning in British Columbia... dam you mother nature send our rain back that way...then add wind, sheesh. No happy medium I tell ya.

― Mae West
jennyswan

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by jennyswan »

Today is a nice 21 and sunny and cloudy. I can live with that :-)
Clodhopper

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by Clodhopper »

Chuckle. 2 of my lodgers are a Spanish/Russian couple. The English climate is just about the best compromise for them!

spot

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by spot »

Eleven southern and central European countries have issued extreme heat warnings amid a brutal heatwave nicknamed Lucifer

[...] The highest temperature on Thursday was 42C in Cordoba, Spain and Catania, Sicily.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... s-pass-40c

It doesn't surprise me, I thought it felt warm. I was in Catania on Thursday. I might tan at this rate.
jennyswan

Hamburg is hot hot hot

Post by jennyswan »

That really would be the best compromise :-)

Return to “Weather Station”