Paul Scofield

Where the 1970's never ended! Celebrate the Music, Culture, and Memories of the 1970's.
spot

Paul Scofield

Post by spot »

I found a clip on YouTube of the opening scene from Amadeus at the National in 1979.

It finishes just seconds before one of the most theatrical moments I can recall. Paul Scofield as Salieri turned anticlockwise through a three-quarter circle, with his back for a second to the audience. He started the move as he is at the end of the clip, old and angry and alone on stage. When he finished the pirouette he was back in the past he'd been describing, his hand was out affably greeting two actors in his drawing room, his back straight, he seemed inches taller and he'd thrown off forty years. It was an astonishing piece of theatre. I can think of few actors who were his equal.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “The Super 70's”