how do you choose

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
travelingjack

how do you choose

Post by travelingjack »

yes im board ..!

in a world of some many choices , is it possible to choose 1 car that does the lot

certainly 1 pen knife is not like another

1 pair of shoes is not like another etc etc etc

so when choosing a car how do YOU choose ?

comfort

speed

space

practicality

Looks

reliabilty

or do you not even think about it and go with your gut or how deap your pocket is
Bryn Mawr

how do you choose

Post by Bryn Mawr »

travelingjack;1507458 wrote: yes im board ..!

in a world of some many choices , is it possible to choose 1 car that does the lot

comfort

speed

space

practicality

Looks

reliabilty

or do you not even think about it and go with your gut or how deap your pocket is

We don't use the car that much any more so comfort, fuel consumption, tax, reliability, practicality in roughly that order.
Patsy Warnick

how do you choose

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We have a comfortable traveling/luxury car and I have "MY" car a VW Bug Convertible.. love it..

Patsy
Bruv

how do you choose

Post by Bruv »

Get a bus pass.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

how do you choose

Post by LarsMac »

Patsy Warnick;1507462 wrote: We have a comfortable traveling/luxury car and I have "MY" car a VW Bug Convertible.. love it..

Patsy

Somehow, if asked to guess, I would easily picture you in a Bug Convertible.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

how do you choose

Post by LarsMac »

travelingjack;1507458 wrote: yes im board ..!

comfort

speed

space

practicality

Looks

reliabilty

I usually go with comfort and space as top choices. Though speed and reliability are pretty high on my list, as well.

My current vehicle is a Lincoln Town Car with 250+ thousand miles on it. It will easily cruise all day at around eighty, holds plenty of luggage in the trunk (boot to you Brits) will comfortably sit four people, and I never give a thought about hopping in to take a road trip. With all those miles, its looks are probably its least appealing feature.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
travelingjack

how do you choose

Post by travelingjack »

my dilema is like a pen knife or a pairs of shoes or like other things in life i need multiple lol

1/ my first choice no room for camping gear or for me to sleep

2/ its not cool or fast enough

3/ neither will go of the beaten track :-5

oh and there is a 4 lol i mis by bike on sunny days :confused:
gmc

how do you choose

Post by gmc »

used to be a big renault fan gor comfort and economy but got fed up with big repair bills same with citroen thiough of money was not a concern wouldn have a C5 just for the hydropneumatic suspension which was incredibly good it was the rest of their car that fell apart.

Economy, reliability and running costs top the list the latter two wipe out any psa cars, vauxhall. Just sold a mazda 6 (over 100,000 miles on it) having had problems with the turbo and having looked at the cost of exhausts, clutch etc. when the bills look like they will be close to the value of the car it's time to go.

Just bought a ford c-max only second ford I have ever owned used to find them really uncomfortable, 50 mpg in daily use 30mpg towing. Quite pleased so far.

posted by parsmac

My current vehicle is a Lincoln Town Car with 250+ thousand miles on i

What on earth is town car? you don't say where you live but I take it rust isn't a major issue.
flopstock

how do you choose

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1507465 wrote: Get a bus pass.
It's sooooooooo disappointing to go to hit the 'like' button and it isn't there! :)
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

how do you choose

Post by spot »

I'm trying to recall when I last had a car. Fifteen years ago. Nasty things. I got rid of the last one when people finally stopped asking me for lifts all the while.

I'm quite sure trains, taxis and bus travel cost me a lot less than doing the same journeys in a car of my own. As a bonus, someone competent does the driving.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Omni_Skittles

how do you choose

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Price!
Smoke signals ftw!
minks

how do you choose

Post by minks »

price here too.

Sadly here the way this city is set up a car or in my case a truck is necessary. This city is very spread out. If I were to bus it to my work, I am looking at a 3 hour trip. A feeder bus to the train line (light rail transit I guess), the transit to down town, then the feeder bus that covers miles before even getting near my work, then a half hour walk.

In minus 40C no thanks.

However I think anyone who carpools should get a dam tax break. Hubby and I carpool out of necessity and cost.

For out of town travel, we do not have a train or bus system, so again we need a vehicle.

Price first, then compatibility to our needs. We need a truck as we camp and haul everything from gear to firewood.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
YZGI

how do you choose

Post by YZGI »

minks;1507485 wrote: price here too.

Sadly here the way this city is set up a car or in my case a truck is necessary. This city is very spread out. If I were to bus it to my work, I am looking at a 3 hour trip. A feeder bus to the train line (light rail transit I guess), the transit to down town, then the feeder bus that covers miles before even getting near my work, then a half hour walk.

In minus 40C no thanks.

However I think anyone who carpools should get a dam tax break. Hubby and I carpool out of necessity and cost.

For out of town travel, we do not have a train or bus system, so again we need a vehicle.

Price first, then compatibility to our needs. We need a truck as we camp and haul everything from gear to firewood.

If you don't own a truck (lorry I believe, in England) in North America (including Canada and Mexico) you should move to Europe, cause you inevitably are either asking someone to borrow their truck or asking for help from a truck owner.. LOL
Bruv

how do you choose

Post by Bruv »

YZGI;1507489 wrote: If you don't own a truck (lorry I believe, in England) in North America (including Canada and Mexico) you should move to Europe, cause you inevitably are either asking someone to borrow their truck or asking for help from a truck owner.. LOL

Truck in the UK would be open backed, or a Pickup. A lorry is much larger...............could be wrong.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

how do you choose

Post by gmc »

YZGI;1507489 wrote: If you don't own a truck (lorry I believe, in England) in North America (including Canada and Mexico) you should move to Europe, cause you inevitably are either asking someone to borrow their truck or asking for help from a truck owner.. LOL

I think what you call a truck we would call a pickup -if they're like a toyota hilux it's a pickup. A lorry or truck is typically 7.5tons and above and either a box or curtained flat bed or even a flat bed come to that. smaller ones are vans. Maybe if your fuel cost as much as ours does economy would matter more
Clodhopper

how do you choose

Post by Clodhopper »

I've got to start thinking about this again. I've not run a car for well over a decade. The buses here are actually pretty good and a non car budget allows taxis from time to time.

However a change in circumstances means a car is probably now needed. It's going to have to be small and cheap to run and 2nd hand. I'm looking at motorised skateboards or sit on lawnmowers, I think...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
YZGI

how do you choose

Post by YZGI »

Bruv;1507490 wrote: Truck in the UK would be open backed, or a Pickup. A lorry is much larger...............could be wrong.

gmc;1507494 wrote: I think what you call a truck we would call a pickup -if they're like a toyota hilux it's a pickup. A lorry or truck is typically 7.5tons and above and either a box or curtained flat bed or even a flat bed come to that. smaller ones are vans. Maybe if your fuel cost as much as ours does economy would matter more

I don't know why I thought you guys called pickups, lorries..
minks

how do you choose

Post by minks »

lol yes sadly if one owns a pick up truck one is subject to frequent requests to borrow said truck.

Lorries is a word we don't use here but call them cube vans, or delivery trucks lol
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

how do you choose

Post by spot »

I think the current UK weight limit for a conventional lorry is 44 tonnes, if that helps categorize the word.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Patsy Warnick

how do you choose

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Lars

My Bug is a limited edition - 2209 with almost 4 thousands miles..:wah: yep 4 thousand..

I use to have VW's in the past - my last bug was a 1975 convertible - which I sold to a nice college girl.

That luxury car for traveling - that was instead of that Motor Home - you know that kitchen on wheels..:wah:

Patsy
gmc

how do you choose

Post by gmc »

minks;1507518 wrote: lol yes sadly if one owns a pick up truck one is subject to frequent requests to borrow said truck.

Lorries is a word we don't use here but call them cube vans, or delivery trucks lol

We tend to use truck/lorry interchangably they're basically synonymous although it depends on context - truck is also a verb I think comes from old english a truckle used to be a pulley wheel or just a small wheel. we also talk about having no truck with someone i.e you want nothing to do with them but that variation comes from a medeival french word meaning to barter.

'Have no truck with' - the meaning and origin of this phrase

You can go insane looking for the logic behind words in the english language eclectic is a barely adequate description.
travelingjack

how do you choose

Post by travelingjack »

well ive chosen just gotto find the right one now in my price bracket. then convert the inside .' that will be my home :yh_rotfl

Attached files

Return to “Autos Vehicles”