Open All Hours

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
spot

Open All Hours

Post by spot »

Until this week I'd never seen an episode of Open All Hours. This was probably because when it came out in the late seventies I was but recently married, and it's never been re-broadcast since.

It has Ronnie Barker in it and a startling procession of aggressive women. The humour is primarily focused around the script but it wouldn't be anywhere as near as funny if they weren't so skilled at acting. They're an ensemble of a quality one rarely finds.

I'm told David Jason - the ingenue errand boy - appears these days in a sequel. I have rarely seen him perform acceptably but in this he manages to, doubtless led on by the remainder of the cast. There's a couple of seconds where he lets go of two bottles of semi-skimmed and the milk-woman catches them before they hit the pavement and you need circus skills to manage that.

Should anyone need a half-hour of ephemeral distraction they could do worse. It's better than I had anticipated.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Open All Hours

Post by Bruv »

You have rarely seen David Jason perform acceptably ?

You must have missed much of his long career obviously.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Open All Hours

Post by spot »

Not at all. He was in... lord I have no memory these days. I've no idea what I'm trying to dredge up. Fools, Horses, load of old unavoidable cobblers every sodding Christmas with the in-laws.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Open All Hours

Post by Bruv »

spot;1505430 wrote: Not at all. He was in... lord I have no memory these days. I've no idea what I'm trying to dredge up. Fools, Horses, load of old unavoidable cobblers every sodding Christmas with the in-laws.

The Common People luv it.
spot

Open All Hours

Post by spot »

Nurse Gladys Emmanuel: I must go, I've got three open wounds and something septic to deal with.

Arkwright: Sounds like a Labour Party Conference.

They don't write them like that any more.

Granville: But everything's damp!

Arkwright: It's your age, it'll pass.

Blimey. Bring it on.
Betty Boop

Open All Hours

Post by Betty Boop »

I wasn't a huge lover of Only Fools and Horses, some of it was ok some of it was tedious.

The best scene by far was this one...

tabby

Open All Hours

Post by tabby »

Our local PBS station aired "Open All Hours" about ten years ago and it was very popular here. At one point in the series, one of the regular store customers was played by Kathy Staff and looked very much like a younger version of Nora Batty! I was thrilled to see her ~~ The Last of the Summer Wine is my favorite of all the British comedies which puts it up against some stiff competition.
Bruv

Open All Hours

Post by Bruv »

spot;1505432 wrote: Nurse Gladys Emmanuel: I must go, I've got three open wounds and something septic to deal with.

Arkwright: Sounds like a Labour Party Conference.

They don't write them like that any more.

Granville: But everything's damp!

Arkwright: It's your age, it'll pass.

Blimey. Bring it on.

Bet you are a Max Miller fan too.
spot

Open All Hours

Post by spot »

My mother wasn't, she couldn't stand him. I thought his timing was exact and that he engaged with his audience rather than performed at them, he was a joy to watch. Les Dawson and Chic Murray had the same but they were neither of them so lewd.

She didn't like Max Wall either. Very proper, my mother.
magentaflame

Open All Hours

Post by magentaflame »

Sjher...sjher...shjer shjer....Granville

Luvly jubbly!

They put that show on every alternate year here. Lol.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
FourPart

Open All Hours

Post by FourPart »

I have all Open All Hours & the sequel, Still Open All Hours saved on my Hard Drive. Still Open All Hours has the storyline that Arkwright is dead & gone, and Granville, who has since grown up into the image of Uncle Arkwright, has inherited the store.

As well as the better known programmes, such as Open All Hours / Still Open All Hours & Fools & Horses, David Jason was also the title role of Frost. Furthermore, he took a slightly lesser part (often unrecognised as being him) as the character Blanko in Porridge.

In my opinion, David Jason is probably one of the best actors ever to come out of the UK. Whenever he takes on a role he becomes that character, unlike most other actors who simply put themselves forward as themselves simply reading a script (Sean Connery, for example, as a Russian submarine captain, with a Scottish accent - one of the worst actors of all time).
magentaflame

Open All Hours

Post by magentaflame »

Not a fan of "Still Open All Hours". God, what is that Cop show he was a Detective in? Loved that show.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bruv

Open All Hours

Post by Bruv »

Frost......you didn't read Fourpart's post..........did you ?
magentaflame

Open All Hours

Post by magentaflame »

Correct. the screen I'm using is really wide and it hurts my eyes to scan across! I notice now the "Frost" bit is at the far end of the screen. Why does everyone need BIG stuff!

And yes Frost! Love Frost!....."Vera" is another i don't mind.
spot

Open All Hours

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1505620 wrote: Correct. the screen I'm using is really wide and it hurts my eyes to scan across!Run your browser in a half-screen window. If I recall, on a Microsoft operating system, grab the title bar and slam it against the left or right upper corner of the screen and it will go to half width automatically.
magentaflame

Open All Hours

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1505641 wrote: Run your browser in a half-screen window. If I recall, on a Microsoft operating system, grab the title bar and slam it against the left or right upper corner of the screen and it will go to half width automatically.

Do you know what would happen to me if I tried to adjust ANYTHING on my mothers computer?..............It does not bare thinking about !!! :yh_nailbi:yh_ttth:yh_shame

Return to “General TV Shows”