Self Employed/Small Business

Big Business, Small Business, Investments, and Personal Finances
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I know there are a number of members at FG who are self-employed or run their own businesses so I thought it might be a good idea to have at least one thread on that to bounce thoughts; ideas; stories off one another and see what happens.

In actuality everyone is self-employed so all are welcome and encouraged to participate in the discussions.

I'm in carpet/upholstery/tile & grout cleaning and flood water removal business.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... 20cleaning
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1503377 wrote: I know there are a number of members at FG who are self-employed or run their own businesses so I thought it might be a good idea to have at least one thread on that to bounce thoughts; ideas; stories off one another and see what happens.

In actuality everyone is self-employed so all are welcome and encouraged to participate in the discussions.

I'm in carpet/upholstery/tile & grout cleaning and flood water removal business.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... 20cleaning

I'm just in the process of setting up a new company although why I bother I really don't know.

The degree of hassle you get nowadays is out of all proportion to the task at hand.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1503387 wrote: I'm just in the process of setting up a new company although why I bother I really don't know.

The degree of hassle you get nowadays is out of all proportion to the task at hand.What hassles have you run in to?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I've been self employed for a very long time but have recently been offered direct employment with the company that I've been doing work for, for about 18 months.

It's a manager's job so it means this poor, tired old body is no longer on the tools.

It also gives me a bit of security up until I retire, providing of course I can cut the mustard.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1503390 wrote: What hassles have you run in to?

Security checks by the agency that are overboard - for example, having been retired for the past thirty months I'm asked to "prove to us that you haven't been working during that period". Their way of doing that would have involved providing bank statements to cover the entire period which is intrusive and proves nothing. I kicked up and we came to a compromise.

Having to go into the agency in person to show them my passport to prove that I have "the right to work" in the UK.

Know your customer checks by the bank that take a week to complete and then need a ninety minute interview at the end of it (and this is a bank I already deal with).

Not being able to get Professional Indemnity insurance with the first company I went to on the grounds that they didn't like the company I would be working at (a major financial institution).

At the end of the day I've been a consultant at this place before and they know me well. They're the ones coming to me for advice and I've only agreed to give me something to do over the winter.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Didn't I read somewhere that you were doing dog grooming or something?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

Was self employed now the director of a personal servicves company working through an agency. In other words an agency lorry driver it's a olot easier than being self employed
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1503399 wrote: Didn't I read somewhere that you were doing dog grooming or something?

That's my youngest daughter, I do computer consultancy :-)
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1503406 wrote: That's my youngest daughter, I do computer consultancy :-)Ah, no wonder all the security intrusions.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

gmc;1503405 wrote: Was self employed now the director of a personal servicves company working through an agency. In other words an agency lorry driver it's a olot easier than being self employedSelf-employment works best for me. My brain is going anyway, might as well use it to my advantage.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I knew early on that I wasn't cut out to be an employee somewhere and went my own way. I've never been sorry about that decision.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The rules for simple Security jobs now are simply OTT. For instance, for someone to simply sit & keep a check on some CCTV screens, check people in & out at Reception, issue ID tags & do the rounds to open up & secure the premises each day requires a full CSCS ticket - a qualification that is not cheap to attain & includes all sorts of stuff that is simply not relevant. This is not to demean the higher levels of Security work, but for something that is no more than a glorified Receptionist, it's a bit ridiculous.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1503503 wrote: The rules for simple Security jobs now are simply OTT. For instance, for someone to simply sit & keep a check on some CCTV screens, check people in & out at Reception, issue ID tags & do the rounds to open up & secure the premises each day requires a full CSCS ticket - a qualification that is not cheap to attain & includes all sorts of stuff that is simply not relevant. This is not to demean the higher levels of Security work, but for something that is no more than a glorified Receptionist, it's a bit ridiculous.

Are you in the building trade then? Why CSCS?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bryn Mawr;1503506 wrote: Are you in the building trade then? Why CSCS?
I've often wondered that myself.
Guppers

Post by Guppers »

In my first marriage my then husband wanted to be self employed. I created the business. Did the office end of it. In my second marriage my husband wanted to be self employed. I created the business end of it...and said..here ya go. Good luck...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Guppers;1503730 wrote: In my first marriage my then husband wanted to be self employed. I created the business. Did the office end of it. In my second marriage my husband wanted to be self employed. I created the business end of it...and said..here ya go. Good luck...

Oddly enough, my wife is Office Administrator but I get to do it all :-)
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

And I'm thinking about hiring a bookkeeper/administrator type person. At the rate my business has been growing I hardly have the time and energy to keep up. Just having difficulty with paying out the money.

If I hire a person and pay them just $25,000.00 annually, worker's compensation insurance alone will be an additional $229.00 per month on top of everything else. That's just ridiculous. Insurance companies is one huge reason wages remain suppressed. Worker's compensation for me @$50,000.00 annually is $655.00 monthly, and of course I don't carry it for myself, but i do have to for any employees.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Ahso!;1503740 wrote: And I'm thinking about hiring a bookkeeper/administrator type person. At the rate my business has been growing I hardly have the time and energy to keep up. Just having difficulty with paying out the money.

If I hire a person and pay them just $25,000.00 annually, worker's compensation insurance alone will be an additional $229.00 per month on top of everything else. That's just ridiculous. Insurance companies is one huge reason wages remain suppressed. Worker's compensation for me @$50,000.00 annually is $655.00 monthly, and of course I don't carry it for myself, but i do have to for any employees.I need to amend this: the $229.00 is to insure a person in the field in my line of work. Most insurance companies will not even offer WC in this business. An office worker might well be less expensive that that. I'll have to inquire.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

One of the big advantages to me was the tax advantages. A corporation is allowed to accumulate "wealth", so I have always paid myself a salary that is just what I need and let the corporation invest the rest. As crazy as it might sound, it is also a lot less expensive to buy my health insurance as an "employer", even though I am the only employee.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

My official year-end sales will be about $3,000.00 above last year's. However, last year I spent $14,000.00 on advertising, while this year I've spent zero. That's a $17,000.00 increase in reality. Nice!, if I do say so myself. Not to mention I've lessened my expenses in other areas as well. Probably closer to about a $23,000.00 difference all together. My taxes will be slightly higher, but a worthwhile trade off.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1504761 wrote: My official year-end sales will be about $3,000.00 above last year's. However, last year I spent $14,000.00 on advertising, while this year I've spent zero. That's a $17,000.00 increase in reality. Nice!, if I do say so myself. Not to mention I've lessened my expenses in other areas as well. Probably closer to about a $23,000.00 difference all together. My taxes will be slightly higher, but a worthwhile trade off.

Sounds like a good increase - there are enough where that would be the total.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1504763 wrote: Sounds like a good increase - there are enough where that would be the total.Thanks! It is, all things considered. There wasn't much hope of matching last year's almost $20,000.00 increase in sales, and even if I could generate that much of an increase in phone calls again, I wouldn't be capable of handling the business by myself.

This year the focus is on a strategy of localizing the majority of sales to within a five to ten mile radius of where I live, as opposed to the 25 mile radius I serve. There is some localized social media that could help me achieve this goal. If and when I get there, then I'll need to consider expanding with an additional van or two. However, finding competent and dedicated employees is always the greatest obstacle for any business. People, as they say, are a businesses greatest assets and liabilities.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
401Paul

Post by 401Paul »

For just about my entire adult life I've been self-employed. I've had several different businesses throughout the years and currently work with different money managers as an Investment Adviser Rep, which is rather enjoyable and can be done from anywhere in the country - so long as proper time, care and diligence is routinely practiced! Advertising can always be tricky while word of mouth is easier - so I make certain to do a good job to get referrals!
Keep on Keeping on!

Return to “Wall Street to Main Street”