Grammar schools ?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Grammar schools ?

Post by Bruv »

Why the need for Grammar schools ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Grammar schools ?

Post by LarsMac »

Ummmm, to teach Grammar?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Momus

Grammar schools ?

Post by Momus »

Bruv;1501204 wrote: Why the need for Grammar schools ? The purpose of preserving those time-honoured traditions. Hazing, fagging, severe bare bottom beatings, , scarification, Okipa ceremonies, Roman infibulation, teeth chiseling, and penis and swine initiation. All vital in the nurture of future Tory backbencher's.
Bruv

Grammar schools ?

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1501207 wrote: Ummmm, to teach Grammar?

You do know our Public schools are really private schools?

And.....although the school's name is Grammar and they do teach grammar, they aren't specifically for teaching grammar.

They are schools that take high achieving pupils following an exam at 11 years of age.

The alternative is Comprehensive schools that has multiple streaming levels that theoretically students can advance at later stages, as they develop.

They are commonly seen as elitist, like Public schools but lower league.

The argument against them is they don't improve education across the board, just cherry pick smart 11 year olds, condemning the rest to a second rate education.
Bruv

Grammar schools ?

Post by Bruv »

Momus;1501214 wrote: The purpose of preserving those time-honoured traditions. Hazing, fagging, severe bare bottom beatings, , scarification, Okipa ceremonies, Roman infibulation, teeth chiseling, and penis and swine initiation. All vital in the nurture of future Tory backbencher's.

Are you a Yank ?
magentaflame

Grammar schools ?

Post by magentaflame »

Bruv, Grammers here are seen as elitist but they were no different to the private schools i went to.

Its seen here as a difference of religion. Most private schools here have a "saint" proceding its name. Grammers on the other hand are non denominational. I had plenty of Grammer friends and those kids were no different to us......albeit their parents were snobs.

It comes down to perception. And lets face it,money
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Momus

Grammar schools ?

Post by Momus »

magentaflame;1501229 wrote: Bruv, Grammers here are seen as elitist but they were no different to the private schools i went to.

Its seen here as a difference of religion. Most private schools here have a "saint" proceding its name. Grammers on the other hand are non denominational. I had plenty of Grammer friends and those kids were no different to us......albeit their parents were snobs.

It comes down to perception. And lets face it,money

Unsubstantiated, emblematic, stereotyping. Many lower income, selfless, parents go through life, scrimping, going without, budgeting, all in order to afford their child the very best in education within Grammar school. I would wager that you would find more of these pupils, than the skewed perception, you have.
LarsMac

Grammar schools ?

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1501225 wrote: You do know our Public schools are really private schools?

And.....although the school's name is Grammar and they do teach grammar, they aren't specifically for teaching grammar.

They are schools that take high achieving pupils following an exam at 11 years of age.

The alternative is Comprehensive schools that has multiple streaming levels that theoretically students can advance at later stages, as they develop.

They are commonly seen as elitist, like Public schools but lower league.

The argument against them is they don't improve education across the board, just cherry pick smart 11 year olds, condemning the rest to a second rate education.

Well, no, I did not know all of that.

Actually, in the States, we call the first five or six grades of basic education "Grammar School"

And, while Grammar is one of the primary purposes, they also teach Spelling, and basic Math skills.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Grammar schools ?

Post by Bruv »

Momus;1501214 wrote: The purpose of preserving those time-honoured traditions. Hazing, fagging, severe bare bottom beatings, , scarification, Okipa ceremonies, Roman infibulation, teeth chiseling, and penis and swine initiation. All vital in the nurture of future Tory backbencher's.

Momus;1501232 wrote: Unsubstantiated, emblematic, stereotyping. Many lower income, selfless, parents go through life, scrimping, going without, budgeting, all in order to afford their child the very best in education within Grammar school. I would wager that you would find more of these pupils, than the skewed perception, you have.

Make yer flippin mind up mush.
Momus

Grammar schools ?

Post by Momus »

Bruv;1501242 wrote: Make yer flippin mind up mush. I observe, the concept of irony is lost here.
Bruv

Grammar schools ?

Post by Bruv »

Momus;1501260 wrote: I observe, the concept of irony is lost here.

I perceive that bumptiousness is not, however.
Mark Aspam

Grammar schools ?

Post by Mark Aspam »

magentaflame;1501229 wrote: Bruv, Grammers here are seen as elitist but they were no different to the private schools i went to.

It comes down to perception. And lets face it,moneyFirst of all, there is no such word as grammer, though some children call their parent's mother by that name. There was also a singer named Billy Grammer (1925-2011) who became a "one-hit-wonder" with a song called "Gotta Travel On".

Now, with regard to "grammar schools", some Americans still use that phrase informally but it has been considered an anachronism since I was a kid, which was a long, long time ago. Such schools are normally known as grade schools in the US, whether they are public or private. Perhaps 'grammar schools' is still preferred in the UK.
LarsMac

Grammar schools ?

Post by LarsMac »

Mark Aspam;1501280 wrote: First of all, there is no such word as grammer, though some children call their parent's mother by that name. There was also a singer named Billy Grammer (1925-2011) who became a "one-hit-wonder" with a song called "Gotta Travel On".

Now, with regard to "grammar schools", some Americans still use that phrase informally but it has been considered an anachronism since I was a kid, which was a long, long time ago. Such schools are normally known as grade schools in the US, whether they are public or private. Perhaps 'grammar schools' is still preferred in the UK.

Hmmm.

You seem to live in a different world than many of us.

From Merriam Webster Dictionary

Full Definition of grammar

a : the study of the classes of words, their inflections, and their functions and relations in the sentence

b : a study of what is to be preferred and what avoided in inflection and syntax

a : the characteristic system of inflections and syntax of a language

b : a system of rules that defines the grammatical structure of a language

a : a grammar textbook

b : speech or writing evaluated according to its conformity to grammatical rules

: the principles or rules of an art, science, or technique ; also : a set of such principles or rules

More interesting, From the 1828 Edition of Noah Webster's Dictionary of the English Language:

Grammar

GRAM'MAR, noun [Latin grammatica; Gr. a letter, to write.]

1. In practice, the art of speaking or writing a language with propriety or correctness, according to established usage.

As a science, grammar treats of the natural connection between ideas and words, and develops the principles which are common to all languages.

2. A system of general principles and of particular rules for speaking or writing a language; or digested compilation of customary forms of speech in a nation; also, a book containing such principles and rules.

3. Propriety of speech. To write grammar we must write according to the practice of good writers and speakers.

GRAM'MAR, verb intransitive To discourse according to the rules of grammar

GRAM'MAR, adjective Belonging to or contained in grammar; as a grammar rule.

So, it has not really changed in the last 200 years.
- DH Lawrence
Mark Aspam

Grammar schools ?

Post by Mark Aspam »

LarsMac;1501281 wrote: Hmmm.

You seem to live in a different world than many of us.

From Merriam Webster Dictionary

More interesting, From the 1828 Edition of Noah Webster's Dictionary of the English Language:

So, it has not really changed in the last 200 years.You missed my point entirely. There is a certain poster here - and I do not wish to be offensive, it's just a fact - who seems to think that the spelling of words is optional, that a spelling she makes up is as good as the correct one, especially if "texting" is involved.

So when I said that there is no such word as "grammer", I was noting her comment earlier in this thread, you could go back and check it out.

Grammar, with two a's, is not in dispute. I noted only that SCHOOLS are not known by that name much anymore, but are rather called grade schools in the USA, though some people still call them "grammar schools' anachronistically. I don't know of any school in this part of the USA which identifies itself as a "Grammar School". If such schools exist by that name elsewhere in this country, I am unaware of it.
FourPart

Grammar schools ?

Post by FourPart »

As has already been mentioned in the Commons, many parents are in favour of Grammar Schools, as they want to see their progeny getting a Grammar School Education. However, the thing that most parents tend to overlook is that the only a very small minority will be selected for Grammar School, and these are most likely going to be in the upper property price band areas. The vast majority will be sent to the "thicky schools", as the Secondary Moderns were referred to in my day. However, although I went to the Secondary Modern, rough as it was, we attained a far higher proportional pass rate when it came to exam results.
LarsMac

Grammar schools ?

Post by LarsMac »

Mark Aspam;1501282 wrote: You missed my point entirely. There is a certain poster here - and I do not wish to be offensive, it's just a fact - who seems to think that the spelling of words is optional, that a spelling she makes up is as good as the correct one, especially if "texting" is involved.

So when I said that there is no such word as "grammer", I was noting her comment earlier in this thread, you could go back and check it out.

Grammar, with two a's, is not in dispute. I noted only that SCHOOLS are not known by that name much anymore, but are rather called grade schools in the USA, though some people still call them "grammar schools' anachronistically. I don't know of any school in this part of the USA which identifies itself as a "Grammar School". If such schools exist by that name elsewhere in this country, I am unaware of it.

In the South, the term is quite common, still. Perhaps in your neck of the woods, they call it something else, but it is, really, a big country out there. I humbly suggest that you attempt to manage your tendency towards blanket statements.

And, I also suggest, Most humbly, that you get off your kick of trying to correct spelling and punctuation of other posters on any forums you where you wish to enjoy a membership.

Being a Grammar Nazi, myself, I can attest to the futility of such endeavors over time.

It is tough, I know, especially for a teacher, but you will find the overall enjoyment of forum membership will improve over time.

Ultimately, the only person whom you can hold to your high standards is yourself.

Should you find my spelling, punctuation, or grammar wanting, feel free to offer corrections. I am used to it.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Grammar schools ?

Post by FourPart »

Grammar Nazis are the worstest.
Bruv

Grammar schools ?

Post by Bruv »

Mark Aspam;1501282 wrote: I noted only that SCHOOLS are not known by that name much anymore, but are rather called grade schools in the USA, though some people still call them "grammar schools' anachronistically. I don't know of any school in this part of the USA which identifies itself as a "Grammar School". If such schools exist by that name elsewhere in this country, I am unaware of it.

The opening poster.....me......is talking from the UK, for your information.

There has been a recent announcement by the UK Prime Minister that Grammar schools are back on the horizon after a period when they were being phased out.
Bruv

Grammar schools ?

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1501290 wrote: Grammar Nazis are the worstest.

Most worser ?

*Surreptitious chortle*
Bruv

Grammar schools ?

Post by Bruv »

I have always failed to see the reasoning behind the idea that if the majority of schools are failing, you 'select' the top pupils to go to 'special' schools.

Why not make ALL schools special or at least raise standards in general, accepting low standards at some schools is failure.
Saint_

Grammar schools ?

Post by Saint_ »

We have grammar schools too. We call them "Charter Schools." Or as most of my colleagues call them, "Blasted cherry-picking, stealing-money-from-public-schools, elitist-right-wing-messes."
Mark Aspam

Grammar schools ?

Post by Mark Aspam »

LarsMac;1501288 wrote: 1. In the South, the term is quite common, still. Perhaps in your neck of the woods, they call it something else, but it is, really, a big country out there. I humbly suggest that you attempt to manage your tendency towards blanket statements.

2. Should you find my spelling, punctuation, or grammar wanting, feel free to offer corrections. I am used to it.1. I thank you for that information, but are there schools there that actually use the word as part of their name? I don't know, I'm just asking, I've lived in four southern states and never noticed.

2. In those circumstances I would also wish to be corrected, with malice toward none.

My point, pertaining to no specific person, on this forum or off, is that I hate to see the American English language perverted by the scourge of "texting". Please, texters and textresses alike, leave it to your own devices (pun) and do not sully our written or spoken language.
Saint_

Grammar schools ?

Post by Saint_ »

Mark Aspam;1501305 wrote: 1 I hate to see the American English language perverted by the scourge of "texting". Please, texters and textresses alike, leave it to your own devices (pun) and do not sully our written or spoken language.

Like you, and as a teacher, I, too, am severely distressed by abbreviation and textspeak.

Unlike you, I know which battles can be won and which cannot.
LarsMac

Grammar schools ?

Post by LarsMac »

Mark Aspam;1501305 wrote: 1. I thank you for that information, but are there schools there that actually use the word as part of their name? I don't know, I'm just asking, I've lived in four southern states and never noticed.

Well, I cannot think of any particular school off the top of my head which specifies "Grammar" in its name. Though I hardly think that relevant.

Mark Aspam;1501305 wrote: My point, pertaining to no specific person, on this forum or off, is that I hate to see the American English language perverted by the scourge of "texting". Please, texters and textresses alike, leave it to your own devices (pun) and do not sully our written or spoken language.

I cannot disagree with the sentiment, but I'm afraid that battle was lost at least two decades past. I know that I have been on the front lines since my days of writing technical documentation for the gummint in the early nineties.

I am reminded, though, of many arguments made over the use of contractions in literature in the 19th and early 20th century.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Grammar schools ?

Post by magentaflame »

Momus;1501232 wrote: Unsubstantiated, emblematic, stereotyping. Many lower income, selfless, parents go through life, scrimping, going without, budgeting, all in order to afford their child the very best in education within Grammar school. I would wager that you would find more of these pupils, than the skewed perception, you have.

And yes, for the uninitiated......we called our grammar friends "grammers" .

And because youre so nasty i wont tell you why.

You idiot lil lol lol

Perception? I lived it !
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
gmc

Grammar schools ?

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1501294 wrote: I have always failed to see the reasoning behind the idea that if the majority of schools are failing, you 'select' the top pupils to go to 'special' schools.

Why not make ALL schools special or at least raise standards in general, accepting low standards at some schools is failure.

I fear my dear sir that you assume that the spotty oicks that once attended public school and now run our country are capable of advanced reasoning and actually give ****.
Bruv

Grammar schools ?

Post by Bruv »

Mark Aspam;1501305 wrote: My point, pertaining to no specific person, on this forum or off, is that I hate to see the American English language perverted by the scourge of "texting". Please, texters and textresses alike, leave it to your own devices (pun) and do not sully our written or spoken language.

I feel the same about English English, perverted by the scourge of American English..................alas I am out numbered.......by Americans.
Bruv

Grammar schools ?

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1501318 wrote: I fear my dear sir that you assume that the spotty oicks that once attended public school and now run our country are capable of advanced reasoning and actually give ****.

What I have seen, it has been proven that selective education doesn't work for the benefit of the majority..
Ted

Grammar schools ?

Post by Ted »

There has been this cry for higher standards in education. The job of a teacher is to take a child from where he is to a higher level. Then we add in the fact that in any one classroom you can have kids doing math at the grade one level and some at a university level As each child is a unique individual with different interests and capabilities and throw in 30 children the teachers job becomes very difficult.
Momus

Grammar schools ?

Post by Momus »

Ted;1501369 wrote: There has been this cry for higher standards in education. The job of a teacher is to take a child from where he is to a higher level. Then we add in the fact that in any one classroom you can have kids doing math at the grade one level and some at a university level As each child is a unique individual with different interests and capabilities and throw in 30 children the teachers job becomes very difficult.

Excellent observation Ted. Class sizes in some area's have become so large, that indeed, the gifted get overlooked and potential wasted. They shouldn't as the statuary limit is 30 per class, but this is breached up and down the country while politicians blame a baby boom. Generally, classes are being reported in figures around 40 plus per classroom but in some area's but there has been reports of even larger classes up to 70.

Hundreds of children taught in classrooms with over 70 pupils - Telegraph
Ted

Grammar schools ?

Post by Ted »

Statistics on class size are usually given as an average. That covers up a lot of sins. The weaker children also fall by the wayside.
Ted

Grammar schools ?

Post by Ted »

Children are not pieces of parts made in a factory. They are each unique human beings and deserve to be educated. With the factory model do we really want to educate or go through the motions to make it look good.
FourPart

Grammar schools ?

Post by FourPart »

The one thing that Theresa May doesn't like to mention when she goes on about parents wanting an opportunity for their children to attend a quality Grammar School, is that there is far more chance that they won't make it into a Grammar School in the first place. An exam taken at 11 years old in order to determine your standard of education for the rest of your school years is not realistic. Some children peak earlier, and then don't develop much further. Others take a while to peak, and then leave everyone else behind. It is stated that we still have Grammar Schools. While that may be so, they are Grammar Schools in name only. They do not require to take the 11 Plus in order to determine whether or not they are afforded the opportunity of a placement. It is determined purely by where they live. However, it can be of no real surprise that these remaining Grammar Schools just happen to be primarily in elitist Tory regions.

Besides, the whole thing is much like the farce of making all schools Academies & thus raising the standard of all schools at a stroke, based on the fact that the Academies that Labour introduced were now succeeding. However, these Academies were originally set up as a last resort to avoid the schools being closed altogether. In those cases it worked. It was custom designed for that purpose. Making all schools across the board into Academy status was never going to make the same level of improvements. If anything it would bring them down to the lower standards. Just as the divisory ideology of the Grammar School system will end up doing. Jeremy Corbyn challenged Theresa May to come up with one education expert who would be able to support her claims. She could not.
magentaflame

Grammar schools ?

Post by magentaflame »

Have any of you guys heard of Gonski? And the Gonski report?

Foor the teachers here its very interesting
Saint_

Grammar schools ?

Post by Saint_ »

magentaflame;1501469 wrote: Have any of you guys heard of Gonski? And the Gonski report?

For the teachers here its very interesting

Is that like when I say, " It's a snow day so I'm "Gone Ski" - ing?"
Momus

Grammar schools ?

Post by Momus »

Saint_;1501473 wrote: Is that like when I say, " It's a snow day so I'm "Gone Ski" - ing?"

Whoops. There goes another rib.
Saint_

Grammar schools ?

Post by Saint_ »

Mark Aspam;1501305 wrote:

My point, pertaining to no specific person, on this forum or off, is that I hate to see the American English language perverted by the scourge of "texting". Please, texters and textresses alike, leave it to your own devices (pun) and do not sully our written or spoken language.

You do know that you just railed against a new form of English while using a new word in English. ("Texting.")
Ted

Grammar schools ?

Post by Ted »

It's like trying to read Boewolfd or Chaucer. Language is a human invention and changes as things change in the world. Very old English hardly looks like English at all.
Mark Aspam

Grammar schools ?

Post by Mark Aspam »

Ted;1501706 wrote: It's like trying to read Boewolfd or Chaucer. Language is a human invention and changes as things change in the world. Very old English hardly looks like English at all.Who, or what, is Boewolfd?
gmc

Grammar schools ?

Post by gmc »

Mark Aspam;1501714 wrote: Who, or what, is Boewolfd?

An olde english typing error
magentaflame

Grammar schools ?

Post by magentaflame »

Saint_;1501473 wrote: Is that like when I say, " It's a snow day so I'm "Gone Ski" - ing?"

No sweety. Its a reformation of the Australuan school system and funding of schools that teachers want, parents want and will up the standards of even the most struggling schools that of course the government doesnt want. Instead the gubberment wants funding based on outcomes of schools based on present funding.it ridiculas.
FourPart

Grammar schools ?

Post by FourPart »

I would also dispute that language is a human invention, as it has been demonstrated that many other animals have their own languages (as well as regional dialects & accents).

Return to “General Chit Chat”