I have lost my laptop audio !

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I have 'lost' my audio ! Not sure if the gubbins has actually broken down or whether it is something that I have done. Probably the latter, knowing me !

I have no sound coming from the laptop speakers, and I have no sound coming from my headphones. However, there is the 'Ding Dong' sound (very loud too) when I get connected to the internet first of all !

When I go on YouTube and set some track to play, I click onto my volume mixer and notice that the sound bars in the speaker column, system sound are animatedly going up and down but there is no sound coming through. However, there seems to be nothing from Skype (but that is probably because I have not had any sound going through Skype ! ).

I do miss my sound on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L750D/L755D - windows 7), so if somebody can help me out here, I would be very grateful !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, when you look down to the bottom right, and see the speaker icon, right-click and should get a menu that says "Open Volume Mixer" and "Playback devices", among other options.

Check out those and see what they show.

When this happens to me, it is usually one of those devices that has somehow got things scrambled.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill;1500364 wrote: I have 'lost' my audio ! Not sure if the gubbins has actually broken down or whether it is something that I have done. Probably the latter, knowing me !

I have no sound coming from the laptop speakers, and I have no sound coming from my headphones. However, there is the 'Ding Dong' sound (very loud too) when I get connected to the internet first of all !

When I go on YouTube and set some track to play, I click onto my volume mixer and notice that the sound bars in the speaker column, system sound are animatedly going up and down but there is no sound coming through. However, there seems to be nothing from Skype (but that is probably because I have not had any sound going through Skype ! ).

I do miss my sound on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L750D/L755D - windows 7), so if somebody can help me out here, I would be very grateful !

Pardon.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1500380 wrote: Pardon.

Granted ! ;) :lips:
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

But have you got your sound back ?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1500369 wrote: So, when you look down to the bottom right, and see the speaker icon, right-click and should get a menu that says "Open Volume Mixer" and "Playback devices", among other options.

Check out those and see what they show.

When this happens to me, it is usually one of those devices that has somehow got things scrambled.

I have done all this, Lars. I've even zero'd all the levels and switched off my laptop, left it for about 30 seconds for it to sort itself out and tidy itself up, then turned my laptop on again, returned to the volume mixer and reset the levels for the different things - loudspeakers, system sounds Skype. But there is positively no sound at all !
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1500434 wrote: But have you got your sound back ?

No ! :-1 Somebody suggested that my sound card may have gone down. But if that was the case how come I still get the ding dong and other noises in the system sounds ?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Do you know how to get subtitles to youtube videos ? An icon bottom right......4th one in from the right.

Try searching there for Window 7 sound problems.

I have normally find it's something you have inadvertently missed, a box that needs ticking or un-ticking.....go take another look.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1500438 wrote: Do you know how to get subtitles to youtube videos ? An icon bottom right......4th one in from the right.

Try searching there for Window 7 sound problems.

I have normally find it's something you have inadvertently missed, a box that needs ticking or un-ticking.....go take another look.

I've tried this Bruv thanks, but still no joy.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1500437 wrote: No ! :-1 Somebody suggested that my sound card may have gone down. But if that was the case how come I still get the ding dong and other noises in the system sounds ?

Because the system sound that generates those tones and such is on the motherboard, and completely separate from your sound driver.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1500443 wrote: Because the system sound that generates those tones and such is on the motherboard, and completely separate from your sound driver.

It sounds (sorry about the unintentional pun :wah:) like the sound driver may have ckufed up then ? Or could it be something that I may have inadvertently done ? How expensive is a replacement sound driver ? What on earth could I have done inadvertently that has knocked off sound from laptop speakers and headphones ?

Having said that, yesterday for a moment or two the sound came through the laptop speakers when an advert video was playing !! :confused: :(
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, you can try going to the device manager, and update the driver.

Hardware failures for such things are amazingly rare. So, it is most likely a setting, or a driver issue.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I've tried that Lars but it doesn't seem to want to help me ! I shall have a quiet little investigation and see if I can undo what I inadvertently 'did'. Thanks Lars, for your advice and suggestions, and I'll keep my fingers crossed.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

One thing I've noticed happening a lot with YouTube lately is that for some inexplicable reason it keeps turning the Mute on. If you look at the Speaker icon on YouTube, check it's not muted. Sometimes it's the most obvious that doesn't get noticed.

Next, go to your Control Panel & open Sound. Select your Sound device (Speakers?) & click on Test. If you hear the tones, then you sound is working. If you have more than one Sound device, try changing it to another one. If that one works set it to Default.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1500527 wrote: One thing I've noticed happening a lot with YouTube lately is that for some inexplicable reason it keeps turning the Mute on. If you look at the Speaker icon on YouTube, check it's not muted. Sometimes it's the most obvious that doesn't get noticed.

Next, go to your Control Panel & open Sound. Select your Sound device (Speakers?) & click on Test. If you hear the tones, then you sound is working. If you have more than one Sound device, try changing it to another one. If that one works set it to Default.

Thanks FP, I'll try that in the morning (after I've had breakfast ! :wah: )
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill;1500364 wrote: I have 'lost' my audio ! Not sure if the gubbins has actually broken down or whether it is something that I have done. Probably the latter, knowing me !

Have you tried looking down the back of the settee? Most things I loose turn up there eventually :)
gmc

Post by gmc »

Actually I've got the same issue with a lenovo laptop, I had vit paired with bluetooth speakers now I can still see them on playback devices but i can't get it to connect, the box is greyed out and inactive. It works with the laptop's speakers so itl;s noit the sound card. i havce a service contract with pc world but haven;t had the time to phone them yet. I suspect it's linked to the last windows update I lso have an HP pavilion dsktop and the update titally screwed it up took the techniocuians the better part of an hour to sort out the problem which seemed to be the update to th video card drivers. I hate windows any other product you wopuld take back for a refund as being unfit for service.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1500711 wrote: Actually I've got the same issue with a lenovo laptop, I had vit paired with bluetooth speakers now I can still see them on playback devices but i can't get it to connect, the box is greyed out and inactive. It works with the laptop's speakers so itl;s noit the sound card. i havce a service contract with pc world but haven;t had the time to phone them yet. I suspect it's linked to the last windows update I lso have an HP pavilion dsktop and the update titally screwed it up took the techniocuians the better part of an hour to sort out the problem which seemed to be the update to th video card drivers. I hate windows any other product you wopuld take back for a refund as being unfit for service.

So how is your venture into Open Source going ?
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1500712 wrote: So how is your venture into Open Source going ?

Bit hit and miss, have it on an old laptop, quite good but slow becauise of the age of the laptop might try it on this desktop after the service contrct ends as I would not have been able to fix the screw ups caused by the last wondows update. I will eventually get rouynd to building one i think. Working night shifts just now quite frankly i can't be bothered doing anything when I finish work
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1500723 wrote: Bit hit and miss, have it on an old laptop, quite good but slow becauise of the age of the laptop might try it on this desktop after the service contrct ends as I would not have been able to fix the screw ups caused by the last wondows update. I will eventually get rouynd to building one i think. Working night shifts just now quite frankly i can't be bothered doing anything when I finish work

Try another flavour on it just for practice, there are very light weight versions designed for older machines. (Listen to me......anyone would think I am a techie)

Building a PC is far too much work in my humble opinion, but there is the option of customising a Barebones system......look into that......and try getting one with a typing corrector....that's a joke.

Return to “Computers Internet”