Why did we stop inventing gods?

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

The ancients were quite good at inventing new gods. The bible shows that the Jews invented many gods before deciding that god could not be defined and settled for “I am“, as the greatest expression of god. “I am” as spoken as a man.

Jews, in their oral tradition, gave man the last word in what god and his policies were to be. They accepted that the man they chose as head Rabbi of their Divine council had the power to overrule their written tradition. Man’s words, not an imaginary god, had the final say on policy. Man was supreme and not one of the imaginary gods.

Christianity then changed much of the morals and policies of their newly invented god, Yahweh, and also transferred the power of god to a man. Jesus. Jesus was now placed at the power seat at the right hand of his newly invented god and placed Yahweh in the right hemisphere of the brain, as shown in the art of the day as depicted by Michelangelo in his creation painting in the Vatican.

Islam then invented Allah, and so far, rightfully named him the last god to be invented. Foolish but true to date.

I see that search for a god as a search for the best laws and rules to live life by. After all, we cannot follow an imaginary god and can only follow the laws and rules that those imaginary gods has spoken, recognizing of course, that only a person can speak those laws and rules and that it was really a wise person who was uttering those words.

Gnostic Christians always saw those invented gods, specifically Yahweh, Jesus and Allah, as immoral and not worthy of us and that is why they named those gods as immoral and vile demiurges. This is not to say that those demiurges did not have some good policies but only says that a better god could and should be invented. Gnostic Christianity lost the god wars and was decimated the moment Christianity gained political power which they used to end freedom of religion.

Are immoral demiurges like Yahweh, Jesus and Allah, the best that mankind can come up with?

Why do you think we stopped inventing gods and settled for demonstrably immoral ones?

Regards

DL

P.S. Gods are the opium of the people.

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

To be more precise, those are not extra Gods they've invented, rather than different names for the same one.
Momus

Post by Momus »

FourPart;1499994 wrote: To be more precise, those are not extra Gods they've invented, rather than different names for the same one. Good point.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Hooray succss you admit gods are not real but a man made construction.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

FourPart;1499994 wrote: To be more precise, those are not extra Gods they've invented, rather than different names for the same one.

Just to be precise.

Some say that but the ideologies are quite different.

Yahweh never promised 72 virgins after death but Allah does.

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

gmc;1500007 wrote: Hooray succss you admit gods are not real but a man made construction.

This has always been the Jewish view and Gnostic Christian view based on the wisdom of the ancients.

What is God? | Big Think

They knew that all that is said of the gods had come from the mouths and minds of men.

That is also why Gnostic Christians use the term I am for god and we mean ourselves when we do.

Regards

DL
gmc

Post by gmc »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1500113 wrote: This has always been the Jewish view and Gnostic Christian view based on the wisdom of the ancients.

What is God? | Big Think

They knew that all that is said of the gods had come from the mouths and minds of men.

That is also why Gnostic Christians use the term I am for god and we mean ourselves when we do.

Regards

DL

A hard belief system to pin down. It's alway seemed to me that gnosticism is a variation on the bhuddist view of things - the notion that people in thge midle east were somehow iokatd from the rest of the world is an absurd one that doesn't stand more than a few minutes if trade and commerce travel so do ideas.

But I reject the basic premise that there is a god of any kind, lesser or greater or any version in between it's an assumption you choose to make. Why do you believe in god or the inner spirit in man call it what you will?

Maybe the meaning of life is to invent god.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

gmc;1500128 wrote: A hard belief system to pin down. It's alway seemed to me that gnosticism is a variation on the bhuddist view of things - the notion that people in thge midle east were somehow iokatd from the rest of the world is an absurd one that doesn't stand more than a few minutes if trade and commerce travel so do ideas.

But I reject the basic premise that there is a god of any kind, lesser or greater or any version in between it's an assumption you choose to make. Why do you believe in god or the inner spirit in man call it what you will?

Maybe the meaning of life is to invent god.

In a real sense, it is. But only a man/god and not the supernatural god many religions have invented.

I believe in the "inner spirit in man", primarily due to the fact that mankind has devoted a lot of time and energy in inventing gods.

I also think that that drive is in all of us as the Father Complex that Jung and Freud invented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_complex

I think that that Father Complex is what our instincts use to try to make us the fittest., After all, that is natures way and purpose.

Candide.

"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end.”

Regards

DL
gmc

Post by gmc »

I believe in the "inner spirit in man", primarily due to the fact that mankind has devoted a lot of time and energy in inventing gods.

Why and how does that lead you to the concluscion there is an "inner spirit" in man?

Holy spirit/ holy ghost some christians teach that because of jesus it is a real person that comes to reside within all followers of jesus christ other christians kill other christians because they don't blieve in the holy trinity. I still think the notion came fom the east. It's an attractive notion and I understand the appeal but I always come back to we just don't know

Candide.

"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end.�

Regards

DL

Candide is satire you need to read the whole passage it put it in context

It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end. Observe, for instance, the nose is formed for spectacles, therefore we wear spectacles

haven't read candide since I was a teenager I confess I had to look it up to remind myself why I thought your quotation was wrong.

'We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation'

('Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation')

Voltaire, French philosophe

:D

Return to “General Religious Discussions”