australian census night...what a shamozzle!

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Major problems plagued the internet site last night. Millions of people going to one site was going to be trouble enough. But now we learn the site was shut down after the fourth hack from overseas entities.

People are not happy.

Heres the thing though...... we were told we had a choice between hard copy and internet options.

Last census i was given a hard copy delivered to the door and collected again at the door....,now the onus is on me to mail it back to them on time or incur a fine of $180 for every day its late.

Then some people were given no option of hard copy and forced to use the internet....didnt matter if they didnt have internet, the onus is on them to take care of it.

Then if you want to do it on the internet and you wantef help you couldnt get through to the help line,

Then we are told it has to be filled in on a particular night......then they say youve got until 23rd of sept to fill it out . After that youre fined $180 for everyday its late.

Stupid stupid stupid!
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

$340 million dollar waste of time and resouces.

I have a question though......the ABS and the government has gone on about privacy and security.

Okay, so if its so secure why have we had to 'post' our census envolopes back? No offence to Australia Post but its not That secure. The envolopes are bright blue and stand out like dogs balls and the seal isnt the best ive ever seen.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Actually, I think it took guts, but apparently not as much planning as needed, just to try a census online! (We are one of the most technological nations and we still use paper and hired college students!)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Theyve been toying with electronic voting.....after this debacle its been put on the baclburner.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame;1499847 wrote: Major problems plagued the internet site last night. Millions of people going to one site was going to be trouble enough. But now we learn the site was shut down after the fourth hack from overseas entities.

People are not happy.

Heres the thing though...... we were told we had a choice between hard copy and internet options.

Last census i was given a hard copy delivered to the door and collected again at the door....,now the onus is on me to mail it back to them on time or incur a fine of $180 for every day its late.

Then some people were given no option of hard copy and forced to use the internet....didnt matter if they didnt have internet, the onus is on them to take care of it.

Then if you want to do it on the internet and you wantef help you couldnt get through to the help line,

Then we are told it has to be filled in on a particular night......then they say youve got until 23rd of sept to fill it out . After that youre fined $180 for everyday its late.

Stupid stupid stupid!

Any news as to who the overseas entities were?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Apparently the hacks came from the US.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame;1500144 wrote: Apparently the hacks came from the US.

Why on Earth would anyone in the US want to disrupt the Australian census?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1500147 wrote: Why on Earth would anyone in the US want to disrupt the Australian census?

good question. Though these days, they can make it look like it's coming from nearly anywhere.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1500149 wrote: good question. Though these days, they can make it look like it's coming from nearly anywhere.

True - I do that myself sometimes :-)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr;1500147 wrote: Why on Earth would anyone in the US want to disrupt the Australian census?

How the heck would i know? ....maybe they wanted to know if i put down 'jedi knight' as a religion?...

It has something to do with jamming or clogging up the server so it fails.

My sons bank account was hacked recently and that to was from the US.

Really Lars? The US has no hackers? Yeah forgot, youre all squeeky clean.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame;1500162 wrote: How the heck would i know? ....maybe they wanted to know if i put down 'jedi knight' as a religion?...

The way you described it sounded like a denial of service attack rather than just hacking into the server to get info. To have four such attacks in a night would constitute a serious attempt to prevent the census taking place - I just wondered in whose interest that would be.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Denial of service .....thats the one.

Who knows Bryn . Considering the info that is put online on dating sites and FB. You'd wonder why they wouldneed more info. I ticked the box "keep for 99years" . But people are having heart attacks over the compulsory keeping of info for four years.

Like i said its been a major shamozzle.....when they began talking about the electronic way of filling out the forms people were dubious about the security risks....their immdeiate responce was to threaten everyone with fines rather than consoling them. And the 'informing' the public through advertising was really shabby and difficult to understand. But with all the threats .....well it certainly prevented it all right
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Maybe..... our own government doesnt want the real info out there? They keep telling us how great everything is. Census can nip that in the bud very quickly. Financial info per household will show not everyone is as employed as they make out. You cant fiddle the books when you have facts staring you in the face. We'll see what the info brings.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1500162 wrote: How the heck would i know? ....maybe they wanted to know if i put down 'jedi knight' as a religion?...

And where did I say such a thing?

But over here, all the hacking seems to come from Russia. It seems wherever the hacking is done, it appears to come from some other country. I suspect most of it is local, with some method of making it appear to be from outside the national boundaries. Blame it on the foreigners.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Australia”