Elephant in the room

Discuss the latest political news.
gmc

Elephant in the room

Post by gmc »

Bernie Sanders backs bill to let Americans sue Saudi Arabia over 9/11 terror attacks | US elections | News | The Independent

I think it's a brilliant idea saudi arabia would be a pariah state were it not for the oil. You can just see it as a question is a political history paper fifty years from now. "Given that the 9/11 attackes were carried out by saudi arabian terrorists why did the western powers invade Iraq?"

On the other hand

Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton Back 9/11 Bill Before Obama's Saudi Arabia Trip : People.com

Leaving aside the rather arrogant asumption that a nation that refuses to recognise the authority of the international criminal court, does't sem to think it has ever done anything wrong like helpingb overthrow democratically elected for eign governments thinks it has a right to do this.

"It is about suing any government, not just Saudi Arabia, that may have been involved in terrorism," he said, adding that "getting the truth out about the role Saudi Arabia may be playing is a good and right thing."

Does this mean the victims of the IRA can sue the american government for turning a bline eye to Noraid?

If you want to stop terrorists cut off the money supply it would be better IMO to go after the banks money laundering for them and those financing them. OK starting with saudi arabia.
FourPart

Elephant in the room

Post by FourPart »

I must be missing something here. The U.S. wants to allow U.S. law to entitle U.S. citizens to sue Foreign Sovereign States, over which they have no legal hold whatsoever. And the Saudis are bothered by this?
tude dog

Elephant in the room

Post by tude dog »

FourPart;1494781 wrote: I must be missing something here. The U.S. wants to allow U.S. law to entitle U.S. citizens to sue Foreign Sovereign States, over which they have no legal hold whatsoever. And the Saudis are bothered by this?

Everybody, cherish this moment as I am in total agreement with the White House occupant.

My first thought was we have a government to deal with foreign governments and it doesn't serve any of us well to have everybody and his horse involving themselves in foreign policy. Also, as President Obama noted it would set a precedent for any foreigner and his goat to sue us.

Obama and many Republicans on same side on Saudi Arabia 9/11 bill

Many Republicans are finding themselves on the same side as President Obama in the debate over whether to allow families of 9/11 victims to sue alleged terror financiers in Saudi Arabia, as Senate Democrats clash with the White House over the increasingly controversial issue.

Republicans and administration officials are both warning the bill could have unintended consequences for the United States abroad while antagonizing a key ally in the Middle East.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
gmc

Elephant in the room

Post by gmc »

Why no questions about why their giovernment did nothing about saudi suppport for terrorism at the time?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Elephant in the room

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1494781 wrote: I must be missing something here. The U.S. wants to allow U.S. law to entitle U.S. citizens to sue Foreign Sovereign States, over which they have no legal hold whatsoever. And the Saudis are bothered by this?

Given that the US insist that anyone who wishes to trade with them or even anyone who employs a US citizen must comply with US law then it's about par for the course.
FourPart

Elephant in the room

Post by FourPart »

It's just a matter of trying to impose their law on everyone else, and Saudi is not the type who's that likely to take the slightest bit of notice.

Return to “Current Political Events”