Google+, Youtube, Gmail, GoogleDrive, GoogleCalendar

spot

Post by spot »

Gmail opened its first invite-only access to beta-test Gmail in April 2004. I registered in August and since then it provided my primary public email service. The other bits got added automatically as options as time went on.

I deleted my Google account at the weekend on privacy grounds and pointed my browser search to https://duckduckgo.com for the same reason.

It involved logging into quite a few companies first and updating each to use my new email address while I could still confirm from the old email address. I expect I missed a few.

The Common People has a Twitter account, spot at ForumGarden has a Facebook page, other than that I don't think I have much of a social profile.

It's several years since I had Skype installed. I'd quite like a video-call equivalent but I don't know what they're called any longer. CU-SeeMe must be long gone by now. I'm told FaceTime is the right move but I've always assumed it was Facebook related so I've not. It's not important at the moment, no bugger wants to talk to me anyway.

I don't actually know how to use Twitter. I ought to learn. Is there a user guide?

I've set up my own mailserver and online calendar, I can't actually do without email or reminders.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1494719 wrote: Gmail opened its first invite-only access to beta-test Gmail in April 2004. I registered in August and since then it provided my primary public email service. The other bits got added automatically as options as time went on.

I deleted my Google account at the weekend on privacy grounds and pointed my browser search to https://duckduckgo.com for the same reason.

It involved logging into quite a few companies first and updating it to use my new email address while I could still confirm from the old email address. I expect I missed a few.

The Common People has a Twitter account, spot at ForumGarden has a Facebook page, other than that I don't think I have much of a social profile.

It's several years since I had Skype installed. I'd quite like a video-call equivalent but I don't know what they're called any longer. CU-SeeMe must be long gone by now. I'm told FaceTime is the right move but I've always assumed it was Facebook related so I've not. It's not important at the moment, no bugger wants to talk to me anyway.

I don't actually know how to use Twitter. I ought to learn. Is there a user guide?

I've set up my own mailserver and online calendar, I can't actually do without email or reminders.

Google are now refusing to provide me with a search engine service any more. The asked me to confirm me privacy settings and, when I set them all to "bugger off and keep out of my business" insist that I re-confirm them *every* time I try to do a search.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1494719 wrote: Gmail opened its first invite-only access to beta-test Gmail in April 2004. I registered in August and since then it provided my primary public email service. The other bits got added automatically as options as time went on.

It involved logging into quite a few companies first and updating each to use my new email address while I could still confirm from the old email address. I expect I missed a few.

I have lapsed on my anti Google stance because they have smart phone apps supply covered, and that requires an account.

If you have Facebook on a smart phone the messenger has a video call facility, which is very handy if you have relatives abroad.

I gave you a broad description of how Twitter works not that long ago, you sign up then search to see who you want to 'Follow', you can then see their feeds or Tweets as they happen. They also offer suggestions based on who you follow, or you can search specific names as you wish.

You get the option to make your own Tweets and acquire your own followers and you can re-tweet any tweets you think need a bigger audience, or reply to anybody else's tweets.I am following amongst others Trump, Katie Hopkins, Elizabeth Windsor, Corbyn, Will-I-am, Nick Griffin, Rachel Riley,and Susie Dent.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

My wife has suddenly developed a need to sign up to Twitter. She doesn't even have a facebook page.

I'm not sure who she has chosen to follow.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1495065 wrote: My wife has suddenly developed a need to sign up to Twitter. She doesn't even have a facebook page.

I'm not sure who she has chosen to follow.

The Twitter world is her oyster.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I'll let her know that. She told me she read a few of Amanda Holden's tweets...*shrug*
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I hate to say it but Katie Hopkins is a must for me, I detest the women, but she is well worth a laugh.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

It's not an option for me to delete my Google account(s). I have clients that want to schedule via Google calendar and I have an Android developer license, so it just isn't an option. Actually, I'm more concerned about the tv, dvd player, and sat tv boxes, since they all have connectivity. The tv has a camera. The dvd player has a microphone. I've been putting together a little firewall with packet sniffing to better monitor what info the entertainment devices are sending out and to block them from initiating access to other computers on my local net. It is a fun project.
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1495061 wrote: I gave you a broad description of how Twitter works not that long ago, you sign up then search to see who you want to 'Follow', you can then see their feeds or Tweets as they happen. They also offer suggestions based on who you follow, or you can search specific names as you wish.

I grasp the follow and be followed bit, yes.

What I fail to understand is the # and @ addressing.

Let's say there is a registered twitter account called Gazza. Let's say ten million people follow Gazza but I don't.

Let's also say that Gazza as a topic has trended today because he's been seen stripping naked in the Trafalgar Square fountains at lunchtime.

Can I make a tweet from my account and add @Gazza and get that one tweet of mine directed to the ten million Gazza followers? I have no idea, I have no Twitter manual and nobody has told me an answer.

If I follow Gazza does that change the answer?

If I tweet support for his behavior and add #Gazza as a trending topic, who sees it? All ten million followers? Nobody? How does that tag differ from @Gazza?

I'd love to know how to use Twitter but I honestly haven't had it explained to me. Do you know the answers to these specific questions? I find not having a clue, and no way of finding out, extremely frustrating,
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Why not just dive in a try things first, and if you don't like it stop using it.

Sort out a disposable email account and sign up to twitter, or try using DuckDuckgo to source the answers to your questions.

Here is the answer about hashtags, it is a device to make the word a link to whatever is tagged.........I think.

Or spend some time HERE
spot

Post by spot »

I most certainly can't just dive in and try it, I have my reputation to consider.

So, tweeting with a hash doesn't get to anyone at all unless they search on that hash. That's useful to know.

Using the at sign with a username in the body of a tweet is called a mention and it adds just the person it mentions to the viewer list, but not that user's followers unless she chooses to re-tweet it.

So there's no way at all of directing tweets to anyone else's followers.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1495087 wrote: I most certainly can't just dive in and try it, I have my reputation to consider.

.........................So there's no way at all of directing tweets to anyone else's followers.

Your reputation ?

Right......

Let me try again................attaching the bleeding hashtag......that noughts and crosses type sign....#.....that one, makes the tweet come up on searches for whatever is tagged.

So.......if you put it in front of the person you want to draw attention to abracadabra............sorted ?

Return to “Computers Internet”