Denial

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Denial

Post by spot »

The things Snopes is denying are becoming more bizarre each week.

Donald Trump is not related to Adolf Hitler.

President Obama was not photographed holding a rocket launcher in a car with ISIS leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Denial

Post by LarsMac »

It is bizarre that they find it necessary to even go there.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Denial

Post by spot »

What we have here, on second thoughts, is a thread which has very little to sustain it. It lacks what modernists might call "legs". The immediate introduction of sub-topics is all it can hope for.

Why, for example, do phylogenists employ the words "extinct" and "extant" when they are opposites and yet so easily confused while speed-reeding? I have to go back and check when something fails to make any subsequent sense, like finding the Common Crane is "not currently classified as threatened" despite mistaking the two words earlier. I have never seen a Common Crane so my ignorance is excusable.

The nearest living relatives to crocodiles, alligators and gharials are all birds. Try getting your head round the extinctions needed to make that happen.

I need to link these snippets with the thread, to be on topic. Not easy.

People throughout history have found huge reptiles terrifying. Alligators seem to accept this but many crocodiles are in denial.

eta: I have just googled. Five people in the last ten years have employed that pun online. This may eventually lessen what would otherwise become an unbearable sense of shame.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Denial

Post by LarsMac »

Hmmm. I would have to run that bit through Snopes
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Denial

Post by Bruv »

I didn't know phylogenists were thatchers until I read that about them speed reeding.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Saint_

Denial

Post by Saint_ »

I think it would be a fun game to post stuff from Snopes that we find interesting and weird that anyone would believe it in the first place. For example: That posting a picture on Facebook gives them the right to use that image forever.
spot

Denial

Post by spot »

Or even as an avatar.

My dad grew up near Archibald Leach back when he went to Fairfield.
LarsMac

Denial

Post by LarsMac »

I didn't know that Maggie could speed-read. Snopes doesn't deny it.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Re: Denial

Post by spot »

Saint_ wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:00 am I think it would be a fun game to post stuff from Snopes that we find interesting and weird that anyone would believe it in the first place.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lights-out/ : "A warning about gang members driving around with their headlights off, then killing anyone who flashes them, is old and false. "

Today's Trivia: "8. Of course, it's not the cops you have to look out for, it's the psychos on the road. In fact, there's a gang out there whose initiation consists of killing certain motorists! What motorists do they target?"

Quiz setters should be prosecuted for demanding wrong answers, I'd have had a 10 this morning if it weren't for pesky unchecked inaccuracies.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:05 am
Saint_ wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:00 am I think it would be a fun game to post stuff from Snopes that we find interesting and weird that anyone would believe it in the first place.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lights-out/ : "A warning about gang members driving around with their headlights off, then killing anyone who flashes them, is old and false. "

Today's Trivia: "8. Of course, it's not the cops you have to look out for, it's the psychos on the road. In fact, there's a gang out there whose initiation consists of killing certain motorists! What motorists do they target?"

Quiz setters should be prosecuted for demanding wrong answers, I'd have had a 10 this morning if it weren't for pesky unchecked inaccuracies.
Just out of interest... what was the right answer?
I have an enquiring mind ;)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:27 am
spot wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:05 am

Just out of interest... what was the right answer?
I have an enquiring mind ;)
The one mentioned above, actually.

But, once again I've shown that I should never do the quiz before my Coffee has been prepared.

as for Snopes, they are denying that the UN has put up a statue of the Biblical Beastie of End Times.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:07 am as for Snopes, they are denying that the UN has put up a statue of the Biblical Beastie of End Times.

Snopes is clearly wrong then, that'#s a biblically exact sign of the end times. Nobody could think that was accidental.
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:07 am as for Snopes, they are denying that the UN has put up a statue of the Biblical Beastie of End Times.

beast.png
beast.png (259.02 KiB) Viewed 857 times

Snopes is clearly wrong then, that's a biblically exact sign of the end times. Nobody could think that was accidental.
spot

Post by spot »

Having now heard of Pat Robertson I had a look on Snopes.

Osama bin Laden turns out to be chickenfeed when compared with God's Wrath against America.
JERRY FALWELL: And, I know that I’ll hear from them for this. But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way – all of them who have tried to secularize America – I point the finger in their face and say “you helped this happen.”

PAT ROBERTSON: Well, I totally concur, and the problem is we have adopted that agenda at the highest levels of our government. And so we’re responsible as a free society for what the top people do. And, the top people, of course, is the court system.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/falwell-and-above/
If there's one thing this fantasy demon God they claim they believe in needs, it's mocking.

Pat Robertson has a history of serial lying but most of all I like his doubled-down-on insistence that he leg pressed 2,000 pounds at the age of 73. For anyone wanting to compare Pastor Robertson's wasted thighs with the real thing, do please watch

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I confess that I seldom pay much attention to Pat and the other TV preachers. Unfortunately, there are quite a few people out there who do.
Oh, and wasn't that beastie supposed to be wearing crowns and have seven heads, or something?
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:51 am

beast.png

Snopes is clearly wrong then, that's a biblically exact sign of the end times. Nobody could think that was accidental.
So, I had to go look it up.
"And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast."
rev 13:1-3

I guess there was the winged critter that Daniel mentioned, but really, that is a bit of a stretch, even for Ol' Pat and his cronies. I mean, where's the other three critters?
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”