Charleston

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Charleston

Post by Bruv »

It is the biggest thread with 550 plus posts on my other fav forum.

Not a mention here ?

The suspect accused of shooting and killling nine people at an African-American church in Charleston has been arrested in Shelby, North Carolina.

His Facebook page shows he has black 'friends' and has a photo showing with a South African and Rhodesian flag badges on his jacket , strange fellow.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

He seems to have been arrested twice earlier in the year, maybe he thought he was rapidly running out of time before he became a long-term jail resident. Or he might have thought the two earlier arrests were fair, I've no idea.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Charleston

Post by LarsMac »

Don't know what to say about it, yet.

Pretty weird.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

I think I suggested some years ago that all American schoolgirls over the age of eleven should be obliged to carry concealed firearms when on school property, thereby negating any threat posed by potential high-score killers invading their territory. It didn't occur to me at the time to add church stewards, sidesmen, pastors and organists to the list but there's your answer: as Reverend Rosenkrantz once put it, "Praise the Lord" and "Pass the ammunition".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snooz

Charleston

Post by Snooz »

I've lurked on a "black" forum and most of them seem convinced this is yet another white on unarmed black killing. I don't think it's as focused as that, there have been too many armed (white) men killing anyone and everyone they could hit. This one is definitely race oriented but as a whole, the body count for this kind of shooting is predominately white and leads one to assume there are other problems here than an inbred white kid that wanted to kill some black people.
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

Maybe it's what happens if pistols are treated as birthday presents? "Roof was thrilled when his dad gave him a .45 caliber gun when he turned 21 in April"?
Bruv

Charleston

Post by Bruv »

Snooz;1480887 wrote: I've lurked on a "black" forum and most of them seem convinced this is yet another white on unarmed black killing. I don't think it's as focused as that, there have been too many armed (white) men killing anyone and everyone they could hit. This one is definitely race oriented but as a whole, the body count for this kind of shooting is predominately white and leads one to assume there are other problems here than an inbred white kid that wanted to kill some black people.

The 'white' forum I lurk on has a lot of different opinions, mainly that it is always big news when white kills black but they are doing it all the time and the media keep it quiet. Then of course the denial that he is white, their criteria are high. The theory also that it's Islamic, or a black guy in disguise, and of course the fear that it might bring gun control, some happy that it might push forward the inevitable race war.

Funny how people's minds work
Bruv

Charleston

Post by Bruv »

spot;1480888 wrote: Maybe it's what happens if pistols are treated as birthday presents? "Roof was thrilled when his dad gave him a .45 caliber gun when he turned 21 in April"?

What has entered my uninformed mind, knowing next to nothing about guns.

How is it possible to shoot and kill 9 people with a single hand gun ?

I have done minimal research but even with a pistol with 11 shots in a magazine the shots have to be very accurate, something is peculiar here.
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

You could search "reloaded five times".
Bruv

Charleston

Post by Bruv »

spot;1480894 wrote: You could search "reloaded six times".

And the assembled congregation wait their turn patiently ?
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

I'm sorry about the six, I misremembered.

As for the logistics, I haven't the slightest idea. Presumably someone will disclose what happens in these circumstances eventually. I certainly haven't been out there scouring for the details, what I've seen is what I couldn't avoid.
LarsMac

Charleston

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1480893 wrote: What has entered my uninformed mind, knowing next to nothing about guns.

How is it possible to shoot and kill 9 people with a single hand gun ?

I have done minimal research but even with a pistol with 11 shots in a magazine the shots have to be very accurate, something is peculiar here.

If you are standing in the middle of the crowd, it's probably hard to miss.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Charleston

Post by Bruv »

OK I see the ostrich approach.

With no research at all, and with a weapon that will continually reload, firing a single shot each time from a handgun, the victim will not stand still, and the gunman need to be calm and nerve free.

I understand it is not easy to actually kill with a hand gun,the fatal target area is small.
Bruv

Charleston

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1480903 wrote: If you are standing in the middle of the crowd, it's probably hard to miss.

Fatally 9 times ?
LarsMac

Charleston

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1480905 wrote: Fatally 9 times ?

He is reported to have reloaded 4 or 5 times. That is at least 45 rounds of ammunition.

The effective range this guy had was within 20-30 feet.

It was several seconds before anyone actually was able to react and try to get out of his way. they don't say how many were there, or how many were injured.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Charleston

Post by Snooz »

Bruv;1480891 wrote: The 'white' forum I lurk on has a lot of different opinions, mainly that it is always big news when white kills black but they are doing it all the time and the media keep it quiet. Then of course the denial that he is white, their criteria are high. The theory also that it's Islamic, or a black guy in disguise, and of course the fear that it might bring gun control, some happy that it might push forward the inevitable race war.

Funny how people's minds work

I don't know if your "white" forum was sarcasm but the forum I'm talking about is very, very anti-white and make no bones about it. Is your forum filled with white supremacists?
AnneBoleyn

Charleston

Post by AnneBoleyn »

South Carolina capitol flying Confederate flag at full height while lowering U.S. one to half-staff following Charleston shooting

"The South’s ugly racial history was on full display Thursday as the South Carolina capitol’s U.S. and state flags were lowered to half-staff following the Charleston church shooting — but the Confederate flag was flying at its full height."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.2263306

Some folks just won't give up.
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

And this is the Governor of South Carolina?

AnneBoleyn

Charleston

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Nikki Haley is Sikh. I think she is Xian now.
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

She should tuck that butt tighter into her shoulder.
Bruv

Charleston

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1480909 wrote: He is reported to have reloaded 4 or 5 times. That is at least 45 rounds of ammunition.

The effective range this guy had was within 20-30 feet.

It was several seconds before anyone actually was able to react and try to get out of his way. they don't say how many were there, or how many were injured.

I was thinking it might have been like an English church, sparsely attended, and assumed it all happened very very quickly with people running, scattering and hiding, I assume too much obviously.
Bruv

Charleston

Post by Bruv »

Snooz;1480910 wrote: I don't know if your "white" forum was sarcasm but the forum I'm talking about is very, very anti-white and make no bones about it. Is your forum filled with white supremacists?

No sarcasm, it is SF that I frequent regularly, I find it chilling and often humorous, the problem being..............they are not joking.
LarsMac

Charleston

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1480888 wrote: Maybe it's what happens if pistols are treated as birthday presents? "Roof was thrilled when his dad gave him a .45 caliber gun when he turned 21 in April"?

Actually, his parents gave him money for his birthday, and he bought a gun with it.

Not quite the same thing
- DH Lawrence
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1480936 wrote: Actually, his parents gave him money for his birthday, and he bought a gun with it.

Not quite the same thing

I don't doubt the tale changes day by day. I shall stop using gawker as a news source if their direct quotes turn out to have been inventions. I end up there sometimes, because their Alexa rank is a damn sight higher than mere newspapers.
FourPart

Charleston

Post by FourPart »

The most obvious solution would be to ban firearms. Then if someone was found to have one it would be proof positive he / she was in the wrong, regardless of colour.
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

FourPart;1480939 wrote: The most obvious solution would be to ban firearms. Then if someone was found to have one it would be proof positive he / she was in the wrong, regardless of colour.The United States of America is not Britain. The USA is awash with firearms. Making it illegal for law-abiding citizens to own a firearm would merely make them vulnerable to criminals who by definition break the law. In Britain, by contrast, it is not an easy matter for a petty criminal to tool up with an effective handgun.
LarsMac

Charleston

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1480937 wrote: I don't doubt the tale changes day by day. I shall stop using gawker as a news source if their direct quotes turn out to have been inventions. I end up there sometimes, because their Alexa rank is a damn sight higher than mere newspapers.

I've seen both stories, but now the one more prevalent is that daddy bought it for him. The original story was that he bought it, with birthday money. So, which one is more completely correct, I guess, become irrelevant.

so, nevermind.
- DH Lawrence
Smaug

Charleston

Post by Smaug »

spot;1480940 wrote: The United States of America is not Britain. The USA is awash with firearms. Making it illegal for law-abiding citizens to own a firearm would merely make them vulnerable to criminals who by definition break the law. In Britain, by contrast, it is not an easy matter for a petty criminal to tool up with an effective handgun.

I'm not so sure about that. Border controls aren't what they used to be. Many vehicles get through with no more than a cursory check, sometimes no check at all, so cross-border arms smuggling is possible, though it's still risky to attempt. I wouldn't fancy it, but then I'm not an illegal arms salesman!

Or any other prosthetic limb!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
AnneBoleyn

Charleston

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Smaug;1480953 wrote: but then I'm not an illegal arms salesman!

Or any other prosthetic limb!

:yh_rotfl

Cute & clever, Smaug!
FourPart

Charleston

Post by FourPart »

I would imagine there would be more trade smuggling them out of America rather than into it, as that's where most of them seem to be.
Bruv

Charleston

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1481004 wrote: I would imagine there would be more trade smuggling them out of America rather than into it, as that's where most of them seem to be.

It was HSBC that got fined for money laundering, connected to the drug trade involving gun running into Mexico from US.....Story here
tude dog

Charleston

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1481010 wrote: It was HSBC that got fined for money laundering, connected to the drug trade involving gun running into Mexico from US.....Story here

Obama's right hand man pleads the fifth.

A senior official with the U.S. Department of Justice involved in the growing “Fast and Furious” federal gun-trafficking scandal told Congress that he would be invoking his right — protected by the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution — not to testify because it might incriminate him.

Top “Fast & Furious” Official Pleads the Fifth; Refuses to Testify]Top “Fast & Furious” Official Pleads the Fifth; Refuses to Testify
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

tude dog;1481011 wrote: Obama's right hand man pleads the fifth.

This is Patrick J. Cunningham you're talking about?

What possible reason do you think he and President Obama have ever even met? Could you explain this "Obama's right hand man" bit? Or did I find the wrong fellow.

Patrick J. Cunningham is the Former Criminal Division Chief of the United States Attorney’s Office. He was appointed as the Phoenix Criminal Division Chief by the United States Attorney, Dennis Burke, on January 11, 2010. Patrick supervises federal criminal prosecutions, victim and witness services and asset forfeitures from Phoenix, Northern Arizona and the Yuma section of the Arizona-Mexico border.

Patrick Cunningham

LarsMac

Charleston

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1481012 wrote: This is Patrick J. Cunningham you're talking about?

What possible reason do you think he and President Obama have ever even met? Could you explain this "Obama's right hand man" bit? Or did I find the wrong fellow.

Patrick J. Cunningham is the Former Criminal Division Chief of the United States Attorney’s Office. He was appointed as the Phoenix Criminal Division Chief by the United States Attorney, Dennis Burke, on January 11, 2010. Patrick supervises federal criminal prosecutions, victim and witness services and asset forfeitures from Phoenix, Northern Arizona and the Yuma section of the Arizona-Mexico border.

Patrick Cunningham

You forget.

EVERYthing is Obama's fault, these days.

- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Charleston

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Not to me. You know how literal some people are.
Bruv

Charleston

Post by Bruv »

I am waiting for the topic when Dawg fails to blame Obama.
FourPart

Charleston

Post by FourPart »

Another reason for my having transferred my account from HSBC to the Halifax.
tude dog

Charleston

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1481017 wrote: You forget.

EVERYthing is Obama's fault, these days.

Good point.

He walks on water. How dare any mortal question his failure to accept responsibility for his failure as a manager of his own administration?
tude dog

Charleston

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1481023 wrote: I am waiting for the topic when Dawg fails to blame Obama.

Wanna talk of the recent floods in Texas? Though that guy thinks he has to power to control weather, I can't blame him on the floods or any other natural event which hurts people.

Not yet and hopefully never as his weather control scheme is not in place.
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

tude dog;1481041 wrote: Good point.

He walks on water. How dare any mortal question his failure to accept responsibility for his failure as a manager of his own administration?

Come on sunshine, don't just walk past the serious replies, it needs a response.

tude dog;1481011 wrote: Obama's right hand man pleads the fifth.

This is Patrick J. Cunningham you're talking about?

Patrick Cunningham

spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

The trial of Dylann Roof is in progress.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... th-penalty

Previous headlines we've skipped over include:

Dylann Roof fit to stand trial over Charleston church shooting, judge says

Published: 25 Nov 2016

Charleston shooting: prosecutor will seek death penalty against Dylann Roof

Published: 31 Jul 2015

Dylann Roof pleads not guilty to hate crimes charges for Charleston shooting

Published: 16 Jul 2015

Leader of group cited in 'Dylann Roof manifesto' donated to top Republicans

Published: 22 Jun 2015

Charleston church remembers shooting victims with service of sadness and joy

Published: 21 Jun 2015

Dylann Roof: FBI probes website and manifesto linked to Charleston suspect

Published: 21 Jun 2015

Dylann Roof: far right denies links and disowns 'act of purposeful evil'
spot

Charleston

Post by spot »

And we have a verdict which will surprise nobody.

Dylann Roof guilty of S Carolina killings - BBC News
AnneBoleyn

Charleston

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1503979 wrote: And we have a verdict which will surprise nobody.

Dylann Roof guilty of S Carolina killings - BBC News

You'll think this is crazy BUT--He has a girl's name. Dylan is one of those names that can comfortably go to either sex. However, his parents named him Dyl-ANN. Uneducated folks in the US, I have discovered, are proud in thinking they are being creative with the spelling of their kid's name. That's another topic. However, kids are bullies & I'll bet he was ragged on for his name & like a Boy Named Sue -- "I'll show them, I'll be tough". Just a crazy thought, but I know my people. UNfortunately.

Return to “General Chit Chat”