Death in Paradise

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
LarsMac

Death in Paradise

Post by LarsMac »

We find a lot of interesting stuff on Netflix.

And we like british detective series.

The most recent find was "Death in Paradise"

A British detective finds himself assigned to a small Caribbean island. A typical little island that seems, to most civilized people, to be close to Paradise. But Detective Inspector Richard Poole loves London. And everything on this island is NOT London.

He hates it.

The stories are clever and the actors are fun to watch. We enjoyed it very much.

Only the first two seasons are on Netflix. Looking forward to the next set of seasons.

Death in Paradise - IMDB
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Death in Paradise

Post by spot »

From what little I know there's a major shift between the first series and the remainder, with what was effectively recasting, but the whole thing had neat production values, good actors and astonishing camerawork. (There's a lot I detest about modern-day styles in cinematography with all this deliberately slapdash pseudo-amateurism based on lousy NYPD handholding and lens movement - I mean, to see a background shift once in ten hours might be startlingly dramatic, but not when it gets worked to death the way it has been. But I digress. Death in Paradise does none of that.)

It also has the magnificent virtue of Danny John-Jules adding value. I think he leaves dramatic acting to those with thespian ambition but he'd make the best Shakespearean clown of his generation. And whoever plays the Chief of Police should send a crate of wine to the scriptwriters for inventing him such a unique part.

The underlying format - someone's murdered and the Inspector ties the clues together in the final reel - rather robs the programs of any dramatic tension. I doubt the program-makers invented anything novel when they had that bright idea though.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Death in Paradise

Post by Bruv »

For somebody that refuses to have a TV in the house your summary is .....spot.....on.

My wife likes it more than myself, but yes it is a viewable if not predictable show.

Predictable in that you know somebody dies in the first 5 minutes and all the strands of who and why and how is dramatically revealed in the last five minutes.

I prefer the current cast HERE
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Death in Paradise

Post by LarsMac »

Well, true, the murder mystery serial has little changed since first introduced in the early days Christie and MacDonald. The story is about the setting, the other players and how the sleuth arrives at the solution.

Many have told the story, in book, in film, and on the TV.

Some of the subplots add value. Detective Poole's disdain for the world he finds himself in, the fascination Camille has with the man, interplay between Dwayne and Fidel, the occasional dropping in of the commissioner always means things just got more interesting.

It's all part of the formula.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Death in Paradise

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Been watching it for years on PBS. Stopped when the Camille, etc. cast changed. Don't like the other cast. Current favorite Brit show for me is "Call the Midwife," which I have watched for several seasons. No one does drama, etc. as well as the Brits, IMO.
spot

Death in Paradise

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn;1479455 wrote: Current favorite Brit show for me is "Call the Midwife," which I have watched for several seasons.

There's a woman in it. I'm working strictly from memory here so it may take a while to get this right. She was not famed for her dramatic prowess. That's not altogether true, she was extremely more than usually dramatic, but it wasn't what I call acting, it was comedy. And she plays her part in Call the Midwife entirely non-comedicly and it surprised people. And she's called Hart. Miranda Hart.

I have no idea how she got on with this midwife thing but her comedy was embarrassingly toe-curlingly good, to the extent that people had to pause the damn thing every now and then in order to calm themselves.She was fortunate, too, in finding the rest of her actors to fit the parts she'd invented. Of the show's origin, she said "I developed this stand-up persona, and that's where it all started from. I realised I was getting laughs being a version of me, and that's what ended up in the sitcom. You do ultimately start from yourself but I'm pleased to say I did have to exaggerate for comedic effect. It wasn't entirely autobiographical. I'm not quite that mad."
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Death in Paradise

Post by Bruv »

I would say embarrassingly poor and twee at times too..............but that is just my opinion of course.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Death in Paradise

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I loved Miranda Hart's show, it was hysterically funny. She is an all around good performer & well up to the job of dramatic roles.
spot

Death in Paradise

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn;1479504 wrote: I loved Miranda Hart's show, it was hysterically funny.That's a very good word in this context - the British tend to shrink from hysteria, it's generally considered rather bad form. One would cross the road to avoid it. Deliberately exposing oneself to a half-hour of Miranda Hart was a tug of war, one would admire the sheer cleverness at building up so many layers of comedic situation and brutally insane characters but at the same time one would wince at the outrage depicted.

Return to “General TV Shows”