Johnny Gimbal, Famed Swing fiddler dies at 88

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I grew up with Gimble's music. He was one of the greats.

A recent performance:

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

He was an engaging performer and I enjoyed his fluency. I've never seen the musical category of "Swing" quite so traduced, though. Swing, where I grew up, was Jazz, not C&W.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

We had swing, and we had Western Swing.

Mr Gimble and Bob Wills were kings of the latter.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Johnny Gimble with George Jones, Take Me Back to Tulsa

Asleep at the Wheel - Take me back to Tulsa.

These guys are a modern group who have toured North America, celebrating Western Swing for a few decades.

They put on a great show.

- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1479042 wrote: We had swing, and we had Western Swing.

Mr Gimble and Bob Wills were kings of the latter.

And I apologize. I'm more used to hearing Johnny Gimble on Garrison Keillor's radio program where I interpreted what I heard as C&W, but what I said was uninformed and impolite. I've been wandering around youtube, saw a half-hour documentary which focused far more on the late 30s to the early 50s and the Jazz Swing roots are clear back then. Johnny Gimble said at one point that Nashville was where the money came from, when it came at all. He also distinguished fiddle-driven Western Swing from the big brass and piano sounds elsewhere in Jazz. And being asked to play for Bob Wills, he said, was like being asked if he wanted to go to Heaven.

If you want to see something in homage to Mr Wills, which I found quite impressive, there's - they took the trouble to learn to play that, just to play it at that venue for those people because it would mean something.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1479046 wrote: And I apologize. I'm more used to hearing Johnny Gimble on Garrison Keillor's radio program where I interpreted what I heard as C&W, but what I said was uninformed and impolite. I've been wandering around youtube, saw a half-hour documentary which focused far more on the late 30s to the early 50s and the Jazz Swing roots are clear back then. Johnny Gimble said at one point that Nashville was where the money came from, when it came at all. He also distinguished fiddle-driven Western Swing from the big brass and piano sounds elsewhere in Jazz. And being asked to play for Bob Wills, he said, was like being asked if he wanted to go to Heaven.

If you want to see something in homage to Mr Wills, which I found quite impressive, there's - they took the trouble to learn to play that, just to play it at that venue for those people because it would mean something.

I remember hearing about that. They made a lot of friends in Texas that night.
- DH Lawrence
JuliaFord

Post by JuliaFord »

Nice music, I've never heard.
Wordpress Plugin-Free Online Games

Return to “General Music”