The Martian

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
flopstock

The Martian

Post by flopstock »

by Andy Weir

I started it over again as soon as I finished it last night .. for bits I may have missed the first time.

I only watched a little of castaway, but for any of you who saw that or read it, this is the mars version - only better.

Every once in a while, you get that book that reads like a movie in your head - this was that kind of book. I enjoyed all the characters and plot twists and it had me hooked from the first chapter.

I want to meet Astronaut Mark Watney :-4
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

The Martian

Post by spot »

flopstock;1478683 wrote: by Andy WeirI hadn't heard of it but The Martian by Andy Weir — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists suggests it's very popular. I've never bought a book for my Kindle but this might be the time to find out how.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

The Martian

Post by spot »

That was distressingly simple, I knew I had a good reason never to try buying a book on my Kindle. Now I'll have to fight off potential addiction every time I pick the reader up. It's been a wonderful tool so far, I've fed it from Project Gutenberg, but finally it's seen the wide-open spaces of Amazon.

The main character expresses himself through the medium of profanity, by the look of it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
flopstock

The Martian

Post by flopstock »

spot;1478745 wrote: That was distressingly simple, I knew I had a good reason never to try buying a book on my Kindle. Now I'll have to fight off potential addiction every time I pick the reader up. It's been a wonderful tool so far, I've fed it from Project Gutenberg, but finally it's seen the wide-open spaces of Amazon.

The main character expresses himself through the medium of profanity, by the look of it.
I was a little concerned with the f bombs at the beginning but it seemed to be a reaction to the situation he was dealing with emotionally initially. I didn't walk away with the impression he just threw them in to throw them in... it was more in reaction ti moments of excitement or being scared or frustrated
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

LarsMac

The Martian

Post by LarsMac »

flopstock;1478773 wrote: I was a little concerned with the f bombs at the beginning but it seemed to be a reaction to the situation he was dealing with emotionally initially. I didn't walk away with the impression he just threw them in to throw them in... it was more in reaction ti moments of excitement or being scared or frustrated

I read the sample and only noticed the one or two, as Flopstock pointed out, that seem to be the emotional reaction to the situation. I will have to read it, but I have so many on my list, now, and have been so busy. It does look promising.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

The Martian

Post by flopstock »

LarsMac;1478778 wrote: I read the sample and only noticed the one or two, as Flopstock pointed out, that seem to be the emotional reaction to the situation. I will have to read it, but I have so many on my list, now, and have been so busy. It does look promising.

I got so hooked that I bought the audible version for when I'd be driving. Now as I'm re-reading I hear the narrators voice in my head - he did an excellent job, IMO.

LarsMac

The Martian

Post by LarsMac »

So, it gonna be a movie

The Martian (2015) - IMDb

Reckon I'd better get to reading
- DH Lawrence
spot

The Martian

Post by spot »

spot;1478745 wrote: That was distressingly simple, I knew I had a good reason never to try buying a book on my Kindle. Now I'll have to fight off potential addiction every time I pick the reader up. It's been a wonderful tool so far, I've fed it from Project Gutenberg, but finally it's seen the wide-open spaces of Amazon.

I knew it was a slippery slope. This is my order history for the last 40 days, and I've red all of them.

10 June 2015 Riflemen Form: A Study of the Rifle Volunteer Movement 1859-1908 Ian F. W. Beckett

8 June 2015 The Peripheral William Gibson

7 June 2015 Not My Father's Son: A Family Memoir Alan Cumming

31 May 2015 Rikki Fulton's How I Found God, and Why He Was Hiding from Me. Tony Roper, Rikki Fulton

31 May 2015 The Steamie Tony Roper

31 May 2015 Is it That Time Already?: The Autobiography Rikki Fulton

26 May 2015 Seveneves Neal Stephenson

19 May 2015 Existence David Brin

15 May 2015 Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell Susanna Clarke
spot

The Martian

Post by spot »

I note the film of the book has become my eight year old's favourite film, so it definitely works. The intensifying exclamations of the novel are brought under control in the film version otherwise he would have lost access to the educational aspects.

So far I've had no qualms letting him watch Picard either, which he asked to do because YouTube has apparently been inundated with ads for the series. I do hope they continue to keep the android out of the villain's bed though. And I should go and remind myself whether Joss Whedon's single series of "Firefly" is suitable.

He's been banned from even hearing about The Expanse though.
LarsMac

The Martian

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1530662 wrote: I note the film of the book has become my eight year old's favourite film, so it definitely works. The intensifying exclamations of the novel are brought under control in the film version otherwise he would have lost access to the educational aspects.

So far I've had no qualms letting him watch Picard either, which he asked to do because YouTube has apparently been inundated with ads for the series. I do hope they continue to keep the android out of the villain's bed though. And I should go and remind myself whether Joss Whedon's single series of "Firefly" is suitable.

He's been banned from even hearing about The Expanse though.

Good plan, I think.

The Expanse is pretty brutal. And the experiments that the guy gets going on the kids is even a tad rough on my relatively mature sensibilities.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “The Library”