Have any of you tried Scientology on?

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Who else is famous in this group besides Travolta and Cruise? They are the only two I really hear about. Didn't Katie Holmes do her escape and divorce thing while cruise was out of town because she was worried about this church butting in?

How Scientology controls John Travolta and Tom Cruise, according to ‘Going Clear’ - The Washington Post
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

gmc

Post by gmc »

I've looked at it, first came cross it in the seventies when I kept getting accosted by them - they have a church in Edinburgh I guess I must have looked like a soft mark. They always lost interest when I told them I had no money for their courses. Looked in to it, most religions are made up but how anyone can go for a religion like scientology founded by a man who made no secret about his motives and that he was making it up completely escapes me. In fact I can't understand how anyone with half a brain falls for it. Even had a look at the dianetics books I can see how people get sucked in I suppose most people go through a phase when they are looking for the meaning of life or sorting out who they are.

Used to keep meeting the moonies and hare Krishna mob as well at least the latter always seemed quite happy.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

flopstock;1476955 wrote: Have any of you tried Scientology on?
Back in 1975 I'd never heard of them - or Hubbard. But one day that year I met up with another hitch-hiker in the back of beyond so we teamed up for a couple of days. We had the same destination. He was a Scientologist on his way to a job run by other Scientologists. The job sounded good so I went round and they hired me on the spot. I still knew nothing about them but slowly I figured them out. Of about 30 employees we were perhaps 3 who not members of Scientology. It worked out great! Fair work – fair wage – no serious pressure to join them, and I never did. There's a lot of talk now of them being a cult, the worst kind, but I never saw any of that. Nowadays they set up tables in the city, fishing for new membership. I know their game and how it's played. Lord help the weak.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Back in the early 70s I was bumming around.

I met up with these guys in Davis California, and they invited me to come hang out. They started telling me how much they could help me, and all I was looking for was a place to lay out a sleeping bag for the night.

They told me I could attend their class the next day, but I had to give up something of value to 'pay' for the class. I had an old Timex watch that kept pretty good time, as long as you were on the east coast, but I the button to change the time didn't work. I offered it up, and they let me sleep on the porch that night. I woke with the sun, and walked to a diner by the highway. someone followed me and tried to talk me into coming back, but I decided to move on when another guy offered me a ride to Tahoe.

Other than reading Battlefield Earth, that was my only experience with anything old man Hubbard dreamed up.

The Moonies were a hoot, though. I hung out with them for a while in DC. They were a a bit weirder than the Scientologists.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Don't tell me they actually kept your watch?!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1476969 wrote: Don't tell me they actually kept your watch?!

Of course they did.

But then that was OK, because I didn't need the thing for the next year, anyway.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Dudes!
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1476976 wrote: Of course they did.

But then that was OK, because I didn't need the thing for the next year, anyway.
Maybe I'm on some other planet, but it is unfathomable to me that they actually kept your watch. It's the most uncivilized thing I can think of for a “church” to do. They couldn't have had any use for it so all they really did was deprive you of it. Is there some satisfaction in that :confused:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1476990 wrote: Maybe I'm on some other planet, but it is unfathomable to me that they actually kept your watch. It's the most uncivilized thing I can think of for a “church” to do. They couldn't have had any use for it so all they really did was deprive you of it. Is there some satisfaction in that :confused:

Well, I did get a good night sleep and a hot shower in the bargain, and the watch was of no real value to me.

When I was hanging with the Moonies, I remember that they viewed the scientologists as the Devil's own. I once saw some Scientologists and Moonies nearly come to blows over both wanting to work one corner Bethesda.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1476999 wrote: Well, I did get a good night sleep and a hot shower in the bargain, and the watch was of no real value to me.
I still don't understand how they could even ask you for payment. You could have stayed at the Motel 6 for the price of the watch ..... and no one to try screwing with your mind.

LarsMac;1476999 wrote: When I was hanging with the Moonies, I remember that they viewed the scientologists as the Devil's own. I once saw some Scientologists and Moonies nearly come to blows over both wanting to work one corner Bethesda.
Well, Bethlehem does have a certain metaphysical value.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1477000 wrote: I still don't understand how they could even ask you for payment. You could have stayed at the Motel 6 for the price of the watch ..... and no one to try screwing with your mind.

Well, Bethlehem does have a certain metaphysical value.

You make too much of the value of the watch. It really didn't work all that well.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1477005 wrote: You make too much of the value of the watch. It really didn't work all that well.
It's not the value of the watch that concerns me. It is the premeditated deprivation of your low-value property that worries me. The watch held some value for you, it had no value to them … yet they took it from you.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1477006 wrote: It's not the value of the watch that concerns me. It is the premeditated deprivation of your low-value property that worries me. The watch held some value for you, it had no value to them … yet they took it from you.

Well, it seems that they held value in their "teachings" and the philosophy seemed to be that the student would not value the teachings if there was not something of value to the student given in return.

It is a valid philosophy, I think. If you give me something for free, what value would I put on it? Given the background of the organization, it certainly makes some sense.

And I think at the time, Days Inn was the cheapo motel of the day, at $8 a night. and I was not spending 8 bucks for a night's sleep back then. I seldom had that much cash in my possession.

All in all, it struck me that Scientology was sort of a teched out revision of Zen where one could be enlightened through the application of technology, rather than through years of sitting zazen.

The gadget they used was some sort of galvanometer that detected minute fluctuations in the the chemical make-up of one's sweat secretions. When the discussion became uncomfortable, your sweat changed -Higher acidic levels or something, so the person you were talking to could zero in on your troubled memories, and play psychoanalyst with you. Help you work out your internal head trips, sort of.

It was cheaper that the average Shrink, I guess.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1477007 wrote: Well, it seems that they held value in their "teachings" and the philosophy seemed to be that the student would not value the teachings if there was not something of value to the student given in return.

It is a valid philosophy, I think. If you give me something for free, what value would I put on it? Given the background of the organization, it certainly makes some sense.

And I think at the time, Days Inn was the cheapo motel of the day, at $8 a night. and I was not spending 8 bucks for a night's sleep back then. I seldom had that much cash in my possession.
Call it what you like, it is still turning out a child's pockets and confiscating the broken, road-kill yoyo that he's so proud of having found in the gutter. Your watch was in the rubbish bin before you got your eyes closed that night.

LarsMac;1477007 wrote: All in all, it struck me that Scientology was sort of a teched out revision of Zen where one could be enlightened through the application of technology, rather than through years of sitting zazen.

The gadget they used was some sort of galvanometer that detected minute fluctuations in the the chemical make-up of one's sweat secretions. When the discussion became uncomfortable, your sweat changed -Higher acidic levels or something, so the person you were talking to could zero in on your troubled memories, and play psychoanalyst with you. Help you work out your internal head trips, sort of.

It was cheaper that the average Shrink, I guess.
The fundamental idea of Scientology is to convince you that you can “be better” at what you do. Even if all you want to be is a ditch-digger. The galvanometer is a slight-of-hand fortune teller. Your weakness is where they drop their hook-line-and-sinker, and that weakness can be spotted a mile away. They're salesmen, peddling a product you don't really need and keeping your goal permanently “just out of reach” so you think you'll make it if you just take one more course. “You're so close!”
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1477008 wrote: Call it what you like, it is still turning out a child's pockets and confiscating the broken, road-kill yoyo that he's so proud of having found in the gutter. Your watch was in the rubbish bin before you got your eyes closed that night.

The fundamental idea of Scientology is to convince you that you can “be better” at what you do. Even if all you want to be is a ditch-digger. The galvanometer is a slight-of-hand fortune teller. Your weakness is where they drop their hook-line-and-sinker, and that weakness can be spotted a mile away. They're salesmen, peddling a product you don't really need and keeping your goal permanently “just out of reach” so you think you'll make it if you just take one more course. “You're so close!”

Sounds a lot like the Gypsy Fortune Teller at the carnival.

And get off the watch. I paid 2 bucks for in when I was in 15. I traded it for a bowl of soup and warm corner to sleep and a hot shower, 7 0r 8 years later. A bargain at half the price.

Not something I am going to lose any sleep over 40 some years later.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Well I went looking to see where I could try out some Scientology in my area and found this

Hotels in Cornwall | Camelot Castle.

Never mind the Scientology bit, WOW, what a wonderful looking castle. Wonder if they do nice coffee and cake cos I certainly won't be able to afford to stay there :wah:

ETA, hhhmmmm after reading

Dog friendly yes so let your dog stay there and go some where else

on Camelot Castle Hotel (Tintagel, Cornwall) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor I think I might be grateful that I couldn't afford such a place :wah:
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1477015 wrote: ... And get off the watch.
You don't understand what I am telling you. I'm not talking about the watch. I'm not talking about you.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1477041 wrote: You don't understand what I am telling you. I'm not talking about the watch. I'm not talking about you.

The watch was nothing to me.

Of course, I suppose, if their notion was right, that would explain why their "teaching" meant so little to me.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1477051 wrote: The watch was nothing to me.

Of course, I suppose, if their notion was right, that would explain why their "teaching" meant so little to me.
:wah: :wah: :wah:
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

$2 was a lot of money back then.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”