Give me a frickin' break!

Fact is stranger than fiction.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Professors: US flag symbolizes racism, should not be displayed on campus | Fox News

A group of university professors has signed a letter showing their solidarity with students who tried to ban the American flag at the University of California, Irvine – because they said Old Glory contributes to racism.

“U.S. nationalism often contributes to racism and xenophobia, and that the paraphernalia of nationalism is in fact often used to intimidate,” read a letter obtained by the website Campus Reform.
That folks think this kind of crap is helpful at all to our society indicates just how unrooted in reality we have become. I say it is time these tenured professors got their sorry butts back out into the real world.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

This might be appropriate.

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Lol
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It makes a change for us to be exporting some of our stupid PC Laws over to the US for a change, instead of importing all their Litigation crap.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

It may or may not be known by now that I am anti-nationalism, anti-patriotism. I agree with those professors. We don't display the flag all that often in Sweden. Americans will say it is because we are neither patriotic (that's true) nor nationalists (difficult to say) and that we are ashamed of our nation ….... rubbish!

Let's face it, the U.S. indoctrinates it's citizens (note how tolerant I am by avoiding the use of “brainwash”) all through their lives. Expressions like “un-American” and “anti-American” and “God bless America” and “This great nation of ours” and “Leader of Democracy” and “Leader of the free world” are heard on a daily basis in the U.S. In my 68 years on this planet I have never heard once a Swedish expression about Sweden used in comparable terms.

But let me stick to the subject. We do not fly the flag over Swedish universities. The flag is not displayed in, on, or in front of our schools. I honestly don't think that we have the flag planted at the airport either.

Yes I know, none of that proves that the American flag represents racism but it does represent brainwashing …. I mean political/national/patriotic “indoctrination”. More power to the professors of U.C.I.

gmc

Post by gmc »

Native americans might have a point about it being symbolic of oppression and conquest.

I could see that maybe with the confederate flag it could be taken as racist.

Storm in a teacup?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1475803 wrote: Native americans might have a point about it being symbolic of oppression and conquest.

Yes they do.

At the same time, with great honor served our country Code talker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could see that maybe with the confederate flag it could be taken as racist.

Me too.

Learned a long time ago not to bring that up.

Depending, one could look forward to a long drawn out lecture or an azz kicking.

Leave it alone and let that dog sleep.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

If the American flag represents “racism” then I honestly don't think it does so only at the university. So the bottom line is to fly the flag or banish it from being displayed anywhere. Personally, I think the flag ought only to be flown in front of government buildings and perhaps the homes of citizens who want to fly it. I wouldn't allow it in front of privately owned companies. But I suppose universities ought to be allowed. When I see the American flag I don't think of racism. I think of all of the illegal wars the U.S. has committed so never mind historical acts of slavery and racism ….. what about today? The flag ought to represent its country's behaviour as it is right now. Do something good for a change and the flag will represent that.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

tude dog;1475820 wrote: Yes they do.

At the same time, with great honor served our country Code talker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But they, as with the blacks, came home again to the same old racism as when they left. There's no honour in that. They were paid as much honour as the Nazis paid to decorated German Jews of WW I.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

You guys do know that that "news" article is from Foxnews, right? So it has no relation to reality at all, and is probably even completely made up.

Leonard Pitts, "But why shouldn’t Fox be sanguine? People who mistake it for a news outlet will never hold it accountable for failing to be one because, in the final analysis, news is not really what it promises them, nor what they seek. Rather, what it promises and what they seek is an alternate reality wherein birthers make sensible arguments, death panels are real, Trayvon was the thug, Sarah Palin is a misunderstood genius and all your inchoate fears of the looming Other are given intellectual cover so they no longer look like the scaredy-cat bigotry they are.

It gives its viewers what they need. It tells them what they want to hear.

Read more here: Leonard Pitts Jr.: Bill O’Reilly ‘proof’ of P.T. Barnum’s adage | Miami Herald Miami Herald

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Saint_;1475839 wrote: You guys do know that that "news" article is from Foxnews, right? So it has no relation to reality at all, and is probably even completely made up.

Leonard Pitts, "But why shouldn’t Fox be sanguine? People who mistake it for a news outlet will never hold it accountable for failing to be one because, in the final analysis, news is not really what it promises them, nor what they seek. Rather, what it promises and what they seek is an alternate reality wherein birthers make sensible arguments, death panels are real, Trayvon was the thug, Sarah Palin is a misunderstood genius and all your inchoate fears of the looming Other are given intellectual cover so they no longer look like the scaredy-cat bigotry they are.

It gives its viewers what they need. It tells them what they want to hear.

Read more here: Leonard Pitts Jr.: Bill O’Reilly ‘proof’ of P.T. Barnum’s adage | Miami Herald Miami Herald

Google it. Bizarre but true - this story is..

UC Irvine American flag ban: Unpatriotic or revolutionary ideal? (+video) - CSMonitor.com

UC Irvine student executive council vetoes US flag ban | abc7.com

Does UC Irvine hate the American flag? Not exactly - LA Times

High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Saint_;1475839 wrote: You guys do know that that "news" article is from Foxnews, right? .......

I love your poster!

High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

flopstock;1475842 wrote: Google it. Bizarre but true - this story is..

UC Irvine American flag ban: Unpatriotic or revolutionary ideal? (+video) - CSMonitor.com
In the very first line she says, “Our symbol of freedom”. This source might not be FuxNews but if it walks like a duck …..

flopstock;1475842 wrote: UC Irvine student executive council vetoes US flag ban | abc7.com
This one talks about “fighting for our country and dying for our country” and “I think the U.S. is ….. the greatest country to live” …. more duck walking. But the best is, “The student executive cabinet says that the ban was counter to the ideals and freedom of speech that allows them to operate as an autonomous student government organization.” Funny, considering the organization's decision was vetoed. So much for “the ideals and freedom of speech that allows them” to do very much.

flopstock;1475842 wrote: Does UC Irvine hate the American flag? Not exactly - LA Times
Oh, come on! The title itself asks, “Does UC Irvine hate the American flag?” HATE? What is this “Love it or leave it” - “With us or against us” mentality? The “threat” was apparently from the flag-wavers ...... or worse … from the police. Otherwise why won't the authorities say from where the “threat” is coming?

And all through it the insistence that it is about “the American flag” - “the American flag” - “the American flag”. Well! The suggested ban would have applied to ALL FLAGS, not only “the American flag”.

So OK, it wasn't such a very good idea to ban the flag on the basis of …. er … ah …. why did they want to ban it? None of these reports gave much chance for the students to air their grievances against displaying ALL FLAGS.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

High Threshold;1475828 wrote: But they, as with the blacks, came home again to the same old racism as when they left.

That is true. At the same time having served, many were not ready to settle for the same old crap.

Nine years after the end of the war

Brown vs. Board of Education

It isn’t always a pretty history, but overall we have made a lot of progress.

High Threshold;1475828 wrote: There's no honour in that. They were paid as much honour as the Nazis paid to decorated German Jews of WW I.

Gee wiz.

I admire your chutzpah.

Ten years after the end of WWI there was

Kristallnacht

I think you know the rest of the story.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

tude dog;1475914 wrote: That is true. At the same time having served, many were not ready to settle for the same old crap.

Nine years after the end of the war

Brown vs. Board of Education

Gee wiz.

I admire your chutzpah.

Ten years after the end of WWI there was

Kristallnacht

I think you know the rest of the story.

It must be impossible to imagine: The black American WW II veteran who happened to glance across the street, then later the same evening be lynched for “eyeing a white woman”. And the German Jew who never dreamed that he'd end up in one of the death camps, after all he served in the German Army during the hell of WW I. But then there was the random machete beheadings during the Rwanda madness, and the Muslim Holocaust of the Bosnians. What is this thing called “life”?
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

tude dog;1475914 wrote:

The Story of Mankind....
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

flopstock;1475842 wrote: Google it. Bizarre but true - this story is..

UC Irvine student executive council vetoes US flag ban | abc7.com

Does UC Irvine hate the American flag? Not exactly - LA Times

Reading the third of your links, it amazes me that a sub committee of the SU can issue a statement of this nature in the union's name without clearing it through the executive committee first.

Ten ivory tower dreamers tarring the entire student body's name in the eyes of the country.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

High Threshold;1475947 wrote: It must be impossible to imagine: The black American WW II veteran who happened to glance across the street, then later the same evening be lynched for “eyeing a white woman”.

Oh sure I can.

When did that happen, outside your imagination?

I did say our history is not pretty, but we made progress. We can only change laws, not people.

High Threshold;1475947 wrote: And the German Jew who never dreamed that he'd end up in one of the death camps, after all he served in the German Army during the hell of WW I.

It would be really nice if you could stay on topic.

YOU are the one who made the comparison of WW1 and WW2 vets.

High Threshold;1475947 wrote: But then there was the random machete beheadings during the Rwanda madness, and the Muslim Holocaust of the Bosnians. What is this thing called “life”?

Changing subject is always good dodge.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

tude dog;1475975 wrote: Oh sure I can.

When did that happen, outside your imagination?

I did say our history is not pretty, but we made progress. We can only change laws, not people.

It would be really nice if you could stay on topic.

YOU are the one who made the comparison of WW1 and WW2 vets.

Changing subject is always good dodge.

Ever the ass.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

tude dog;1475975 wrote: ..... When did that happen, outside your imagination? .....
I was thinking Tude, if you could pin-point the part of my post that upset you then we might be able to see what your problem is. Was it the part where I said it was difficult to imagine the suffering of others or the fact that I went beyond the appreciation of the suffering of Jews ….. and included black Americans, Africans and Muslims? :)

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”